Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Combat Pretzel posted:

There's video transmitters for 1.2GHz and 1.3GHz bands, if you dig a largish clover antenna on your rig (which would only pose an issue if you're flying where it may get stuck). While I'm just starting out, I'm doing some research and theory crafting already for longrange and/or penetrating setups. I'd like to be able to eventually fly inside abandoned factories and such, and not be hindered (too much, anyway) by walls and floors.

I'm moving my 1.3 to a plane and probably going to do 2.4 video on a mini. Plenty have done 5.8 indoors though, it really just depends on transmit power, receiver antennae / diversity, and just learning to fly through the snow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008

nerox posted:

https://sites.google.com/site/tjinguytech/my-projects/HP47A

Search DPS-600PB on Ebay, you can get them for like $15-20 (watch out for shipping prices) and they generate 575watts

You can about buy 2 for the same price as 1 after shipping, so go ahead and buy the 2nd in case you want to do 24v one day.

I had heard of using these. Looks like you can adjust the voltage up to 13.8V as well. The charger I have is rated to 18V input, so I'm not sure I'd want to put 24 volts to it. Now if you could adjust them down to <10V, then I'd feel safe running two in series.

Cheapest new seems to be 40 (24 + 10 shipping + 6 import), or do people just go for the used units?

Arrest that ass!
Sep 1, 2006

my deadlift personal record

Combat Pretzel posted:

There's video transmitters for 1.2GHz and 1.3GHz bands, if you dig a largish clover antenna on your rig (which would only pose an issue if you're flying where it may get stuck). While I'm just starting out, I'm doing some research and theory crafting already for longrange and/or penetrating setups. I'd like to be able to eventually fly inside abandoned factories and such, and not be hindered (too much, anyway) by walls and floors.

You can get away with using linear antennae on 1.2/1.3ghz (which are a hell of a lot more compact).

People underestimate what 5.8 video and 2.4 RC can do though. This video for example was flown all 5.8 video and 2.4 control:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N71hXDec4bs

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Arrest that rear end! posted:

You can get away with using linear antennae on 1.2/1.3ghz (which are a hell of a lot more compact).

People underestimate what 5.8 video and 2.4 RC can do though. This video for example was flown all 5.8 video and 2.4 control:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N71hXDec4bs

Ok that's really cool, so much cooler than all the FPV poo poo flying around glorified paintball obstacles. Of course, nice to find a abandoned school that's not total trash too.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

And that's how you fix a NanoCPX Brushless kit.

I can't believe Horizon bothered to sell the kit with the harness and no way to bypass the LVC.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Oh nice, that's awesome! Especially the part leaving the building, flying over the roof and back in, that's the sort of stuff I'm hoping for. I guess I'll settle for 5.8GHz after all.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming
How has the introduction of the new gopro influenced these designs? Seems like you will be able to do a lot more build wise.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

goodness posted:

How has the introduction of the new gopro influenced these designs? Seems like you will be able to do a lot more build wise.

Most mini quads seem to carry a Mobius, so not a lot!.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Are they FPVing through the gopro or are they recording and using a smaller, less good camera (but a faster one) for the fpv?

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Elendil004 posted:

Are they FPVing through the gopro or are they recording and using a smaller, less good camera (but a faster one) for the fpv?

Sony ccd board cam is the way to go, less latency, higher dynamic range and faster light response

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Elendil004 posted:

I'm quite undecided about this. I'd rather not piggyback a GoPro, but from what I've found out is that it has 3 NTSC frames of latency (around 100ms) and that the video may lock up when you don't need it (ostensibly it's due to lovely slow SD cards). Ignoring the video lock up, a GoPro may work, if you're cruising instead of racing.

A friend let me fly his Dead Cat based drone, and stuffed a Hero 3 on it (not FPV tho). I was rather impressed in what it recorded, given there was a sunset and it didn't blind the camera.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jul 22, 2015

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
Hmm, new GPS seems to be working out well. Not perfect, but noticeably better. I should easily be able set the RTH angles more aggressive now. Had it flying around on RTH for a good 10 minutes with about 5 loop arounds. Then came in for a dusk landing.

Also, checked the IR of that battery I dented. 5/5/9/9 milli Ohm. Still balanced.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

goodness posted:

It just came out, and its terrible for the price. There are some addons for the zmr frame, and some frames from hovership, that have flipped the ccd and gopro positions so it makes more sense to use on a mini quad though.

Elendil004 posted:

Ok that's really cool, so much cooler than all the FPV poo poo flying around glorified paintball obstacles. Of course, nice to find a abandoned school that's not total trash too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjh4N204Vuw

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Clinton, CT police have ruled that the gun-firing drone is legal. FAA still mad.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/21/us/gun-drone-connecticut/index.html

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
I got my Quanam V2 Goggles today. They're miles better than the V1's. I"ll get to try them out this weekend. I'm excited.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE

Combat Pretzel posted:

Oh nice, that's awesome! Especially the part leaving the building, flying over the roof and back in, that's the sort of stuff I'm hoping for. I guess I'll settle for 5.8GHz after all.

The newer 5.8ghz stuff is pretty impressive. And the frsky 2.4 control stuff is also great. You are going to get better penetration (better reception really) than you could previously. But you aren't going to be able to go miles through a forest or do a low neighborhood patrol style flight like you can on 433 and 1.2.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Clinton, CT police have ruled that the gun-firing drone is legal. FAA still mad.

Has the ATF weighed in? It falls clearly (to me) under their shaky definition of machinegun.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

The ATF is going to have a field day with this guy.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008

Nerobro posted:

I got my Quanam V2 Goggles today. They're miles better than the V1's. I"ll get to try them out this weekend. I'm excited.

I'm still a bit on the fence for getting them. The V1's work alright, but then I wouldn't mind a second pair for the occasional passerby who takes interest.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

PuTTY riot posted:

The ATF is going to have a field day with this guy.

Phone posting, but TFR has been talking about this dude. Odds are good the ATF is gonna have a field day, but there's a chance if the trigger system is done perfectly he might be fine. But most likely ATF unpleasant-ness

Edit: somewhat related, does anyone have a summary of that new law or whatever for RC aircraft that was getting pushed though in Canada?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I haven't gotten the remote yet, but I've been playing with CompanionTX, the stuff you can fiddle and the Taranis simulator... :psypop:

--edit: I mean, I just fiddled together a flight timer system, that sounds an alarm when battery voltage from telemetry drops below a certain level, and sets the flight timer to a different value (death timer), but only if it's less than the remaining flight time, and using a GV as state variable to prevent fluctuations on the sensor making everything go wild, and all resets when triggering the throttle cut. I mean, how cool is that?!

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jul 23, 2015

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008

MohawkSatan posted:

Phone posting, but TFR has been talking about this dude. Odds are good the ATF is gonna have a field day, but there's a chance if the trigger system is done perfectly he might be fine. But most likely ATF unpleasant-ness

Edit: somewhat related, does anyone have a summary of that new law or whatever for RC aircraft that was getting pushed though in Canada?

I wasn't aware of anything going through yet, just that they were looking to update/tighten them more next year. Seemed tighter on recreational, while a bit loser on small scale commercial use.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I assumed it was just a servo pushing the trigger. does that do anything for/against the guy

edit: I guess if it was explicitly designed so that one button press equals one trigger squeeze it would be alright?

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jul 23, 2015

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

A Yolo Wizard posted:

I assumed it was just a servo pushing the trigger. does that do anything for/against the guy

The ATF's definition of a machine gun changes almost weekly, and they'll be happy to change it again if it means they can nail someone's balls to the wall.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Generally it includes things which could easily be changed to become fully automatic. So if making the servo go from 1 button 1 bullet to 1 button 10 bullets, thats where they'll get him. There would probably have to be a mechanical, welded means to prevent that.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

FPV racers, do they use unmixed controlling, or do they usually have their custom setups? My Taranis arrived and I was dicking around with it in FPV Freerider, and I noticed a bunch of behaviors that you could mitigate by mixing various channels. Do they the same, or do they race "pure"?

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Part of a STEM camp, wanted to run some asymmetrical challenges using drones, what are good for the budget drones that are fairly sturdy?
Is there anything sub $100 with more then 5 minutes of battery life?

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE

Combat Pretzel posted:

FPV racers, do they use unmixed controlling, or do they usually have their custom setups? My Taranis arrived and I was dicking around with it in FPV Freerider, and I noticed a bunch of behaviors that you could mitigate by mixing various channels. Do they the same, or do they race "pure"?

Are you talking like mixing rudder into aileron inputs to get coordinated turns? The general consensus on this is don't, learn how to do it all manually.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32IPBmcwplQ

This is pretty ingenious, and the music is amazing, but man, get a ladder.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

Elendil004 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32IPBmcwplQ

This is pretty ingenious, and the music is amazing, but man, get a ladder.

I love this, the music really makes it. So gripping.

And he probably didnt use a ladder because he was too embarrassed to knock on their door and tell them he's an idiot.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

ease posted:

Are you talking like mixing rudder into aileron inputs to get coordinated turns? The general consensus on this is don't, learn how to do it all manually.
Cool, that's what I wanted to know.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

the nicker posted:

And he probably didnt use a ladder because he was too embarrassed to knock on their door and tell them he's an idiot.

This is why I climbed 2 fences and a tree last weekend

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Thank God for FPV Freerider to learn Acro. Also, having a first hand on attempting this, even if virtual, multiplies my respect for flying these things.

--edit:
I mean, I flew helicopter sims in the past, some basics are there, but my brain's fighting the RC layout a bit (I used to have yaw on the third axis on the joystick). Plus the snappiness doesn't help.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jul 23, 2015

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane

MohawkSatan posted:

http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/2/NPA-APM/doc.aspx?id=10294

Here is the notice of proposed rule making.

In other news I was out watching some flying with these guys. Needed Ama to fly.

http://imgur.com/l10uN3v
http://imgur.com/7vRyUfq

Had a really interesting chat about electric power systems.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008

the nicker posted:

I love this, the music really makes it. So gripping.

The other issue is some people don't want to be potentially held liable if you fall of their roof. I lost a canopy cover off a plane that fell on someones roof, and that was their response. I was about to try something similar with a little V911, but thankfully it had already blown off on its own.

Speaking of the regulations, I am wondering how small and cheap you could make a transponder that broadcasts similar information from the FC that a full size commercial plane does.

Golluk fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jul 23, 2015

rt_hat
Aug 3, 2003
YARRRR
I got the Horizon Hobbies Spektrum VA1100/Fatshark Teleporter combo kit for my first FPV experience on my LaTrax Alias.

http://imgur.com/a/TnByX

I couldn't figure out what the power connector for the VA1100 was so I ended up cutting the Y-cable that came with it and soldering the bare wires directly on the Alias' circuit board. Hard to tell if flight time is impacted significantly, I'll time it better over the next few flights.

There was some oil/grease on the threads for the lens and I think some of it got on the lens/IR filter? so I had to use lens wipes to clear that stuff off. It still looks blurry through the goggles but the picture looks sharper on the TV. It might be because I'm near-sighted - I'm going to try wearing contacts tomorrow to see if the picture coming through the goggles is clearer.

Next up is to secure the cables better and make a better mount for the camera (right now using scotch tape).

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
You can get that set right now with a plane for $200 (if anyone is interested; the camera is worth $100 by itself

http://www.horizonhobby.com/fpv-vapor-rtf-with-headset-eflu6600

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jul 24, 2015

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

rt_hat posted:

I got the Horizon Hobbies Spektrum VA1100/Fatshark Teleporter combo kit for my first FPV experience on my LaTrax Alias.

http://imgur.com/a/TnByX

I couldn't figure out what the power connector for the VA1100 was so I ended up cutting the Y-cable that came with it and soldering the bare wires directly on the Alias' circuit board. Hard to tell if flight time is impacted significantly, I'll time it better over the next few flights.

There was some oil/grease on the threads for the lens and I think some of it got on the lens/IR filter? so I had to use lens wipes to clear that stuff off. It still looks blurry through the goggles but the picture looks sharper on the TV. It might be because I'm near-sighted - I'm going to try wearing contacts tomorrow to see if the picture coming through the goggles is clearer.

Next up is to secure the cables better and make a better mount for the camera (right now using scotch tape).

Hah, looks a bit like my rig:

I 3d printed a mount for my camera and used one of the canopy screw holes to mount it. I was getting a ton of noise in my video when I throttled up so I put the VTX on its own lipo to stop that. I need to make a mini power filter because as-is it flies like a cruise ship

This thing isn't tilting off to the left when I lift off anymore, but I really don't like this method of attaching propellers. Seems like the O rings could break just from normal flying. It is very simple, just a mini CC3d board, Lemon RX PWM(never got the PPM thing working:( ) and a 12 amp 4-in-one ESC. The Camera and VTX are already wired I just need to disassemble the entire thing tonight to install it. loving unibody construction.

Also I'm building it a bigger brother to use full 5" props:

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jul 24, 2015

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Just picked up an H250CF kit from MyRCMart (because where the gently caress do I buy this poo poo in Canada?) with the intention of FPVing it out. My first quad so I'm probably going to destroy it within hours of building.

Right now I still need to decide on the TX/RX and battery, everything else (minus FPV) was in the kit so I imagine it's probably crap but will give me an okay starting point until I figure this stuff out.

Can't loving wait until this shows up at my door.

So now I have to pick a TX. Any real differences between the OrangeRx T-SIX and Turnigy 9x as far as a beginner would be concerned? They should both have enough channels for my needs for the foreseeable future.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jul 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
I'd just make sure you can put something like OpenTx on the orange radio. I have it on my 9x, and it is way better and intuitive than the stock firmware was.

Also, if your in Canada, I'd check out Rotorgeeks and Patsminihquad. Rotorgeeks has been excellent service for the 6 or so orders I've put in.