Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Shooting Blanks posted:

How long would you be gone? Asking for time off immediately if it's already planned isn't unreasonable...

Nah, I live in a seasonal ski town, so last year I took off for oct and nov which is most of our dead season, and that was the plan again for this year. If I'm running the show though, that's invaluable prep time for the upcoming winter season and I'd pretty much need to have my head down for most of it, getting ready for the absolute fisting we receive in December and onwards. I might be able to get away for a couple of weeks in oct, but right now I'm considering a move to NY sometime next year, and the more time I get there in our dead season, the better I'll be able to scope out work and a place to live, and set myself up.

There's also the fact that I'm just learning that apparently our last season was really bad numbers wise (mostly due to our owner giving away a ton of poo poo) and accounting are losing their minds and we are being handcuffed in the stupidest of ways. That's a whole other story but pretty much everything we use to make money with, we're not allowed to spend money on at the moment, and I don't know how long that's going to last. I'm really not too keen to try running the place with my hands tied behind my back for the first 6-12 (+?) months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Good luck. I'd take NYC over seasonal any day, but that's me.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

I need some Balkan themed drink/drinking jokes, any ideas?

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Not sure if this has been asked before. How hard do you try to stop an insane over tipper? Guy tonight ended up tipping me over 60 bucks on 4 shots of fireball. I made an effort to dissuade him, but not a STRONG effort. Am I bad?

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

had a dude tip $800ish on a $400ish bill the other night. You don't really dissuade them... you just need to make sure they're sure.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

nrr posted:

had a dude tip $800ish on a $400ish bill the other night. You don't really dissuade them... you just need to make sure they're sure.

This. You have no idea what someone's motivation is for tipping huge - maybe they won the lottery, maybe they just signed a massive record contract, maybe they're hammered and think it will impress the 40 something at the end of the bar. You aren't their accountant or financial advisor, as long as they understand what they're doing just let it go.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Seconding. I usually just say something like "Really?" with a near-exaggerated inquisitive tone and leave it at that. If they want to buy me dinner, more power to them.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

I mean, if it's a good bud who's trying to give me $50 for a beer or something because they're drunk and in I FUCKEN LOVE U MAN mode, then yeah I'll talk them out of it but pretty much any other time where someone wants to tip the poo poo out of you because you're kicking rear end at your job? Hey man, I ain't gonna argue.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

nrr posted:

I mean, if it's a good bud who's trying to give me $50 for a beer or something because they're drunk and in I FUCKEN LOVE U MAN mode...

When I worked in philly there was a marked hundred that was basically out of circulation, because every time you rolled with a crew you brought it with you and dropped it on top of the usual obscene tip, just to gently caress with people. Word is it was bad luck to keep it...
Goddamn pants on head stupid, if you ask me.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003
I'm not sure if it helps, I've seen a field practice on "crazy" tips (1k+ at a regular bar, not bottle service stuff, I just mean crazy relative to your situation) to run in the back and make a photocopy of the customer's ID.

Of course you want to make sure they sign the receipt well, or da bar isn't likely to pay you.

This happens all the time, but often they'll try to dispute the charge after they sober up. The copy of their ID is just more that the bar can use to fight the dispute.

The more they act like a rich baller the more likely they'll dispute it, I'm afraid.

Obviously this only concerns CC tips.

40 OZ fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Jul 2, 2015

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Alright, what are some of the best ways you guys have for storing fresh mint on a bar?

Here's my challenge: As a feature, we have a freezer coil that runs underneath our bar that frosts up a 6 inch section of it that's closest to our side and runs the whole way around the bar. There's a hole in front of every seat around the bar, that a champagne flute sits into to keep your bubbles nice and cold, which is cool. The way this thing works it that it sucks the moisture out of the air and it frosts up the whole strip of the bar and creates this long strip of ice all along the bar. Which is great... except drawing that moisture out of the air also draws all the moisture out of everything else and while it's cool to have people thirsty at your bar, what's not so cool is having pretty much every leafy thing you put around it go limp and lovely looking in a couple of hours if it isn't sealed.

So ideally, I'd like to be able to store things like mint and basil and other fresh herbs around the bar, in sight and looking great, that I can quickly snap a garnish off of as I need it. Instead, I've been prepping a bunch of mint sprig garnishes, putting them into a plastic container that pretty much every one but me forgets to put the lid back on again anyway, and they end up getting squished and not so pretty looking pretty quickly anyway, as well as wilting or sometimes turning black in places or finding some other way to look like poo poo.

If anyone's got any ideas, I'm all ears

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Keep the plants in water? That's my chef suggestion as I'm not a bartender.

Gropes
Mar 21, 2011

It takes an idiot to do cool things. That's why it's cool.

Manuel Calavera posted:

Keep the plants in water? That's my chef suggestion as I'm not a bartender.

Yeah I used to just keep basil and mint in a mason jar half full of water that you could seal and put in the fridge at the end of the night. The would last a few days that way and stayed bright and whole

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
I'm glad you want to stock mint, because I don't

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
I mean I love something a simple as a Mule but I love that we don't have copper mugs or ginger beer because honestly have you ever really liked a patron who ordered those all night

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
So I have a flight at 6 am to do 32 hours at Tales.

Pray. For. Mojo.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

bloody ghost titty posted:

So I have a flight at 6 am to do 32 hours at Tales.

Pray. For. Mojo.

I live a 5 hour drive away. Should I get on the road y/n

Cuddly Tumblemumps
Aug 23, 2013

Postmodernity means the exhilarating freedom to pursue anything, yet mind-boggling uncertainty as to what is worth pursuing and in the name of what one should pursue it.
Seeing the condition that some people are in when they return from tales almost makes up for being too broke, cheap and busy to make it out there. :greenangel: (My jealousy is being fed so hard by amazing social media updates.)

Shooting Blanks posted:

I live a 5 hour drive away. Should I get on the road y/n

Yes.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
Power gaming my liver in prep: good idea? Thanks, Holiday Cocktail Lounge!

PS: yes, come, you'll get drunk for free on the street sheeit.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Last time I went to Tales, the third day it took six drinks for my hands to stop shaking.

Woof.

Prayers for you.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Please explain this Tales thank you

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

http://talesofthecocktail.com/

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Didn't drive out. Liver can't take it

TheDoublePivot
Feb 27, 2013

Hi thread, I'll be travelling around California over the next few weeks and was hoping you might have some recommendations for a few good places. I've read the thread and will definitely be stopping at the Downtown Cocktail room in Vegas after I saw it recommended a few pages ago.

What's stumping me is the other areas we'll be visiting. For reference we'll be around west Hollywood, the gas lamp quarter in San Diego and Union square and fisherman's wharf in San Francisco. Any tips would be welcome. Apologies if this is the wrong thread to be asking about this.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

TheDoublePivot posted:

Hi thread, I'll be travelling around California over the next few weeks and was hoping you might have some recommendations for a few good places. I've read the thread and will definitely be stopping at the Downtown Cocktail room in Vegas after I saw it recommended a few pages ago.

What's stumping me is the other areas we'll be visiting. For reference we'll be around west Hollywood, the gas lamp quarter in San Diego and Union square and fisherman's wharf in San Francisco. Any tips would be welcome. Apologies if this is the wrong thread to be asking about this.

I work on the central coast in San Luis Obispo. Assuming you're driving up, I can recommend the good lion in Santa Barbara and whiskey and June in atascadero. If I'm not at work I go to Sidecar in slo.

TheDoublePivot
Feb 27, 2013

The Maestro posted:

I work on the central coast in San Luis Obispo. Assuming you're driving up, I can recommend the good lion in Santa Barbara and whiskey and June in atascadero. If I'm not at work I go to Sidecar in slo.

Unfortunately we won't be driving ourselves so wouldn't be able to make the stop, thanks for the tip though, much appreciated.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Last time I went to Tales, the third day it took six drinks for my hands to stop shaking.

Woof.

Prayers for you.

So the one seminar I had tickets to that I missed because I was hurting so loving bad from the night before, ended up being the seminar on how to stay healthy in this industry. How to deal with late nights, lack of sleep, extended hangovers, etc etc. Of course.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Sounds about right.

The day that I was really bad was a few years ago, it was day three so I was already tired and operating on no sleep, but I woke up at 830am, worked a tasting room until noon, walked to the park to set up for Pig & Punch, partied at Pig n' Punch, went back to the Bon Vivant house and drank a few bottles of Krug with Gentleman Caller #1, then scooted to St George house for Bathtub Gin party (the shittiest of poo poo shows, the photos of it are so horrendous) then cabbed to French Quarter for the New Orleans funeral procession for the Long Island Iced Tea, snuck my way into the big Plymouth gala by grabbing a bag of ice off of a truck and going to the side door saying "John needs this up at the main bar right away!" and being waved in, so there I watched Audrey Saunders get married, Ron Jeremy (in sweatpants) play the harmonica in a funk band, cab back to the Bon Vivant house and pass out on the floor of the living room face down next to Gentleman Caller #2. At some point, I definitely flashed someone because they busted into the room and it woke me up so I sat straight up... I had decided at some point in the night that naked was the only way to handle the heat.

The next day I CRAWLED to Molly's on the Market and shook like a leaf, tried not to fall off my bar stool and alternated vomitting with trying to eat biscuits and gravy. Wasn't until magic drink #6 that I resembled a human again.

And that's Tales of the Cocktail!

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
:lol:

That was a good read. Esp the bag of ice trick.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
What are some of y'all's favorite bloody mary recipes? I dig them but I have this weird thing where pepper of any sort (the spice, not the vegetable) tastes like dirt to me so the usual mixing where the bottom is like kitty litter is nigh undrinkable for me. Anything else to add that extra punch?

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

SubponticatePoster posted:

What are some of y'all's favorite bloody mary recipes? I dig them but I have this weird thing where pepper of any sort (the spice, not the vegetable) tastes like dirt to me so the usual mixing where the bottom is like kitty litter is nigh undrinkable for me. Anything else to add that extra punch?
This is the recipe from my favorite place to drink Bloody Marys (Louise's West in Lawrence, KS):

8 oz. glass filled w/ ice
Pour in vodka
2 squirts of Tabasco
1 tsp of A1 sauce
1 tsp of Worcestershire
4 shakes of Cavenders greek seasoning
4 shakes of celery salt
2 shakes of garlic salt
2 shakes of black pepper
Top it off w/ tomato juice
Shake it up, drop in pickle spear, celery, beef jerky, etc.

I always with jerky. Sometimes a pickle too.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

If you hate pepper, you probably need a pepper grinder because fresh cracked pepper loving rocks and the difference in taste and aromas from fresh cracked pepper compared to lovely grains of pepper that have sat in a shaker forever are massive.

If it's still not your thing though, look into horseradish to give you that kick instead. Personally, I prefer fresh grated horseradish over the pre prepped stuff you can buy in little jars, but if you can't get it, or can't be bothered, you can still find some decent stuff out there to just drop a spoonful in your Bloody Mary to bring it to life.

Also, if you've got all your seasoning at the bottom of your glass you're doing it wrong. Chill your Bloody Mary by making it one part of your shaker, and then roll it (pour it back and forth into the other half a few times until chilled.) If you're getting to the bottom and it's still all seasoning down there, then you're drinking it way too loving slow.

sivad
Feb 28, 2005

SubponticatePoster posted:

Prune's Bloody Mary Mix:

46 oz can Sacramento Tomato Juice
1/2 c fresh lemon juice
3/4 c + 1Tbsp Gold's prepared horseradish
2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 c Lea & Perrins Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 tsp Tabasco sauce

2:1 with vodka.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
If you'd take a Bloody Mary over a Caesar, you're legitimately insane.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

nrr posted:

If you hate pepper, you probably need a pepper grinder because fresh cracked pepper loving rocks and the difference in taste and aromas from fresh cracked pepper compared to lovely grains of pepper that have sat in a shaker forever are massive.

If it's still not your thing though, look into horseradish to give you that kick instead. Personally, I prefer fresh grated horseradish over the pre prepped stuff you can buy in little jars, but if you can't get it, or can't be bothered, you can still find some decent stuff out there to just drop a spoonful in your Bloody Mary to bring it to life.

Also, if you've got all your seasoning at the bottom of your glass you're doing it wrong. Chill your Bloody Mary by making it one part of your shaker, and then roll it (pour it back and forth into the other half a few times until chilled.) If you're getting to the bottom and it's still all seasoning down there, then you're drinking it way too loving slow.
Fresh tastes worse to me :( Y'know how some people have that thing where cilantro tastes like soap? I swear I have something similar with pepper. Love me some horseradish though, I'll try making one with that.

I'm doing this for home use, so I have salt (regular and kosher), celery salt, Worcestershire, horseradish, Tabasco and lemons/limes available. I prefer lemon instead of lime and also like chucking a couple olives in. It's a 3-day weekend for me this week so I'll do a little experimentation, thanks!

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Dash of sherry vinegar. You can thank me later.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER

PT6A posted:

If you'd take a Bloody Mary over a Caesar, you're legitimately insane.

Gotta rep the cocktail that was invented in my hometown.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Dash of sherry vinegar. You can thank me later.

Actually at any time, this tip is pro as gently caress

Pooper Trooper
Jul 4, 2011

neveroddoreven

Finally caught up with the thread, and even though I'm not in the industry I thoroughly enjoyed it! Thanks everyone!

I have a question, if you don't mind. I'm going on a week-long vacation in a couple weeks and I was put in charge of buying the necessary ingredients for mojitos. Apparently most people in our group prefer them with spiced rum. So which spiced rum would you say is better for this? Obviously not something super expensive, it'd be a shame to waste exceptional rum.

Since I'm not in the states my options are probably a bit limited compared to you guys. Specifically, they are:

Captain Morgan Black
Havana Club Anejo
Bacardi Black
Pampero Anejo
Brugal Anejo
Angostura 5yo
Appleton Estate V/X
Sailor Jerry
Mount Gay Eclipse

What do you say bargoons? Which one should I get?

Also, any tips or recipes on making mojitos would be greatly appreciated. Reading this thread I learned that I shouldn't put the mint in a shaker, or tear it into the drink but rather give it a good slap between my palms to bring out the oils. Anything else I should keep in mind? What's your usual mojito recipe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
There's a GWS thread for cocktails that is probably a better resource for that kind of question- this is more industry chat, which you should read as "no bartender will talk politely about the wide and various subjects of rum and mint, please find and post in the appropriate thread before we gently caress your sister".

• Locked thread