Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
With the train hat and now the elevator room, it reminds me way too much of this xkcd comic.

https://xkcd.com/1366/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

cliffdiver posted:

:lol:
Okay that one actually sounds made up.

No I'm pretty sure that's exactly how it works, if you noclip out of the elevator you can see it's stationary while the room moves. It's an old trick but it still works. Most games can just make moving level geometry have proper collision nowadays.

BenRGamer posted:

With the train hat and now the elevator room, it reminds me way too much of this xkcd comic.

https://xkcd.com/1366/

Anthropocentric transport is perfectly legitimate.

bing_commander
Aug 14, 2009

In other news..
its all just numbers guys

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Considering how fragile the Skyrim opening cart ride sequence is I'm not surprised they had to trick it's predecesors' game engines to make it look like you're moving.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

homeless poster posted:

i guess that kind of makes sense in-engine, because now i can't recall either FO3 or NV having any kind of movable object that does horizontal or vertical movement. any time you "use" an elevator it just teleports you to a different cell, and other than certain doors being able to swing open, there's not another situation where you even see a movable object.

wait, in NV, there's a quest in Camp McCarran where you have to do something with the monorail that runs between the based and New Vegas. do you ever get to ride it or does "using" it just teleport you to the opposite cell in New Vegas? i only ever tried the quest once and it got hilariously bugged so that as soon as i finished talking to the quest giver the bomb always went off immediately, so i never really got to interact with it

It's interesting because the Ayleid Ruins in Oblivion are full of traps that rely on large areas rapidly ascending/descending into spike pits, and I thought some of the areas in the planes of Oblivion had elevators or columns that ascended/descended.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

7c Nickel posted:

Seriously though, after his death Bethesda put together a nice memorial page that includes every bit of his concept art they could find and scan. It includes 809 ones for Fallout which are pretty great to thumb through.

http://adam.bethsoft.com/

what the gently caress happened? did they decide to just ignore all of this dude's concepts for Oblivion or what? That game could've looked great if they had used even one of his ideas.

edit: Also, have they said anything regarding a car? We had a car in the originals, they're giving us a crazy helicopter thing, surely we can actually use some of the fuel we find around and put it into our cars. I'm not asking for Mad Max, just a lovely old car with a little trunk that will let me drive around the wastelands and break down a lot, usually coinciding with some unfortunate/exciting event.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jul 22, 2015

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Khanstant posted:

what the gently caress happened? did they decide to just ignore all of this dude's concepts for Oblivion or what? That game could've looked great if they had used even one of his ideas.

It says Oblivion DLC, and those art kinda look like things you see in Shivering Isles, which does look look good in game.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Khanstant posted:

They did. Those are concepts for the Oblivion DLC. Most people think they turned out higher quality than the base game.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Magmarashi posted:

What's the point, then? That's all the fun of a double-barrel.

It'd be kinda nice to have the choice of either firing one barrel at a time or both whenever you want :shobon:

Also there's an automatic shotgun in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5H7Qq8quKg

Around 10m10s, but you don't get to see much of it. Seems to smash up a synth's head pretty nicely, though.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Capn Beeb posted:

It'd be kinda nice to have the choice of either firing one barrel at a time or both whenever you want :shobon:

Around 10m10s, but you don't get to see much of it. Seems to smash up a synth's head pretty nicely, though.

That video also seems to show the synth have destructible armor.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
[quote="Khanstant" post="448020566"]
/quote]

His Fallout concepts were much better than anything in the game, too. I guess he just created things that were way beyond the technical limitations of the consoles, or even the engine itself.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

It's interesting because the Ayleid Ruins in Oblivion are full of traps that rely on large areas rapidly ascending/descending into spike pits, and I thought some of the areas in the planes of Oblivion had elevators or columns that ascended/descended.

the only thing i can figure is that in all of those ruin traps, the actual geometry is just expanding / contacting, but the overall effect is that a square peg just gets a lot longer briefly. this is probably a lot less technically intensive than have to create a separate object that behaves believably within the context of the game relative to gravity and x/y/z motion and etc. i mean hell, horses in skyrim at launch were all terrain vehicles that could climb 90 degree inclines, so i can imagine trying to create anything more complicated than that would be too difficult for t-hod and crew

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

chitoryu12 posted:

That video also seems to show the synth have destructible armor.

With armour being more layer based it looks like all enemy types and armour types can be picked apart. You also see pieces of armour being shot off a Super Mutant and pieces being blown off a BoS Paladin's power armour when you hit it with a missile. I suspect that will be part of the gameplay, where you need to weaken a heavily armoured opponent before you can really kill them.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Psychotic Weasel posted:

With armour being more layer based it looks like all enemy types and armour types can be picked apart. You also see pieces of armour being shot off a Super Mutant and pieces being blown off a BoS Paladin's power armour when you hit it with a missile. I suspect that will be part of the gameplay, where you need to weaken a heavily armoured opponent before you can really kill them.

God I hope so.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

7c Nickel posted:

They did. Those are concepts for the Oblivion DLC. Most people think they turned out higher quality than the base game.

Shivering Isles was genuinely better than the main game, but Kights of the 9 just seemed like a waste of time and money.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Father Wendigo posted:

Shivering Isles was genuinely better than the main game, but Kights of the 9 just seemed like a waste of time and money.

I didn't get NotN, but I heard it was pretty good if you lined it up with playing a Templar style character.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Capn Beeb posted:

The video shows said gun being used as a sniper rifle, shotgun, and SMG. Weird.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Bholder posted:

It says Oblivion DLC, and those art kinda look like things you see in Shivering Isles, which does look look good in game.

Oh wow. I was so pissed when it released and deuced out, don't think I heard of that one over all the lol horsearmour at the time. I'm not sure I've kept the discs this long, though. Still have some stupid coin though.

Back Hack posted:

Deus Ex 2 had universal ammo, isn't time we tried universal gun?

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jul 22, 2015

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Khanstant posted:

Oh wow. I was so pissed when it released and deuced out, don't think I heard of that one over all the lol horsearmour at the time. I'm not sure I've kept the discs this long, though. Still have some stupid coin though.

Nothing but mods can truly save Oblivion all the way (and I say this as someone who loves it and completed all of its quests), but Shivering Isles is definitely the best part of it. It is designed to make fun of people like me by including three "fetch a bunch of random items that will take you hundreds of hours" quests and putting them in the part of the Madgod's realm dedicated to obsession, and contains one of the two quests I cheated on, in which you have to deliver a hundred calipers to an orc, and get basically no reward for it. The flavor of the Isles and the lore is some of the best in the series, though (although I don't hate Elder Scrolls storytelling as much as most of the thread, so take that with a grain of salt).

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

I'm going to be a little controversial here and say I am super excited for this game.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So I read a thing on The Internet that apparently every language is going to have it's own voice acting for the main character. Any guesses on how much space this game is going to wind up taking up on the old hard drive?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I'm excited to see if Fallout 4 is only a financial success or if it actually also delivers in gameplay too.

Nuebot posted:

So I read a thing on The Internet that apparently every language is going to have it's own voice acting for the main character. Any guesses on how much space this game is going to wind up taking up on the old hard drive?

Oh it's definitely going to be a fat 30-50 gbs at the least. But I doubt that they'll comfortably have every language present and not say several core languages and different subtitles or maybe downloadable language packs.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Nuebot posted:

A lot less than you might think since it's all at 96 kbps.

dumb bunny
Jan 30, 2014

Fun Shoe

Nuebot posted:

For Skyrim and New Vegas, Steam only downloads the language you've selected, so this isn't a problem.

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Lol if you don't have an entire hdd dedicated to all the mods your going to want anyway

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

I proudly told the night shift Wal-Mart employee that this WD Passport was for "about seventy gigabytes of Fallout mods", but they seemed offended by the idea that I would store backup copies of mods offline because it didn't give proper support to modders and the modding community. That's a pretty naive opinion to have, considering I'll be able to sell copies of all of these mods the next time Bethesda and Steam strike up a monetized modding agreement. Molerat Boobs and killable kid mods are the new gold and silver.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Jul 22, 2015

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I proudly told the night shift Wal-Mart employee that this WD Passport was for "about seventy gigabytes of Fallout mods", but they seemed offended by the idea that I would store backup copies of mods offline because it didn't give proper support to modders and the modding community. That's a pretty naive opinion to have, considering I'll be able to sell copies of all of these mods the next time Bethesda and Steam strike up a monetized modding agreement. Molerat Boobs and killable kid mods are the new gold and silver.

gently caress "modders rights" in all ways. I always store big archives of mods for this exact reason, the Minecraft Modding community has taught this lesson painfully. There is always going to be some modder spoiled princess, that will pull their mods for drama reasons, or change everything around "for my vision" and get rid of all the links to the older superior version. When poo poo like that happens I really enjoy having a backup copy, not only for myself but to share with other frustrated users.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Look, the important thing is that Train Head needs to be some sort of pyramidhead-esque joke character in Fallout 4. I don't care if we have to mod it in, but I need to see Train Head just plow through super mutants while running super fast along a track.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Back Hack posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jVsQToSfag&t=30s

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

TontoCorazon posted:

I'm going to be a little controversial here and say I am super excited for this game.

Me too, TontoCorazon.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

Rutibex posted:

gently caress "modders rights" in all ways. I always store big archives of mods for this exact reason, the Minecraft Modding community has taught this lesson painfully. There is always going to be some modder spoiled princess, that will pull their mods for drama reasons, or change everything around "for my vision" and get rid of all the links to the older superior version. When poo poo like that happens I really enjoy having a backup copy, not only for myself but to share with other frustrated users.

Yep. Gotta have all 15 versions of "Realistic Horse Vaginas".

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

JackBadass posted:

Of course, version 13 only had the horse vaginas I needed. After version 14 that all changed, the mod author started adding vaginas to chickens and Argonians and all other sorts of things that didn't need them! That's fine for someone that wants a lot of vaginas in their game, but I am after only the immersion of realistic horse vaginas and I don't appreciate the feature creep. The author removed all the previous versions, telling the community if you don't want chicken vaginas then you aern't getting any vaginas at all!

Thank god I kept a backup of version 13!

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Rutibex posted:

Of course, version 13 only had the horse vaginas I needed. After version 14 that all changed, the mod author started adding vaginas to chickens and Argonians and all other sorts of things that didn't need them! That's fine for someone that wants a lot of vaginas in their game, but I am after only the immersion of realistic horse vaginas and I don't appreciate the feature creep. The author removed all the previous versions, telling the community if you don't want chicken vaginas then you aern't getting any vaginas at all!

Thank god I kept a backup of version 13!

You have to respect his vision of everything with legs sporting a horse vagina. Version 14 was his magnum opus.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I'm sorry the author ruined your ~*immersion*~ by adding Argonian horse vaginas, but honestly, I think you guys are the spergy ones for caring that much. All he did was add content. I use the latest version and it's just fine.

mamelon
Oct 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Getting excited about this game, and I'm honestly happy about the return of VATS. It's part of what sold me on Fallout 3, my first in the series, because it adds silly charm.

It's so playful - the scan sound, the zoom in, the cute beeps upon selecting a zone. Combining those elements often cut the tension of a difficult battle and led to many moments of unintended humor. It's like using a colorful toy microscope to review ebola, and I think it helped make F3 fun in a way that is very "videogame-y."

JackBadass posted:

I heard these are actually implemented as a hat.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Having modular armor that you can mix and match is going to have me spending way too much time playing wasteland dress up.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

So is it going to be like Skyrim where I have individual pieces that make up my outfit, or is it going to be more bland hat and body stuff?

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

7c Nickel posted:

I didn't get NotN, but I heard it was pretty good if you lined it up with playing a Templar style character.

It is exclusively for that type of character. The special gear from the quest has a pretty cool buff that makes "good" animals friendly towards you, which makes many caves hilariously easy to go through.

Also, at the end you create a small order of knights. With a mod that allows more followers, you can roll around with your own army and blow through any dungeon in the game. It's all right.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Die Laughing posted:

Having modular armor that you can mix and match is going to have me spending way too much time playing wasteland dress up.

Does this mean i can finally dress up as a roadwarrior smegma crazy with open buttflaps on my leather pants

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

JackBadass posted:

So is it going to be like Skyrim where I have individual pieces that make up my outfit, or is it going to be more bland hat and body stuff?

• Locked thread