Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

SubG posted:

It would be a better argument if I believed for one moment that the people who give a poo poo about (and notice) longass single takes aren't noticing technical poo poo all the loving time anyway.

Exactly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I wonder if they don't like it because they just aren't used to seeing it as much. It's weird complaining about something being impressive feat for that same thing.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Perhaps a really obscure question: so I noticed that in a lot of films there's this distinctive high-pitched ricochet sound that was almost always used for automatic gunfire. It's really common in sixties or seventies westerns and war films, but it was even used in Terminator (1:25 if the timing doesn't work)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iDjFsZ2L78&t=85s

But by T2 the sound design for gunfire is totally different and sounds a lot more "realistic" to me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnGVoiJj3ng&t=16s

That old richochet sound is never used nowadays and because I didn't grow up with it, it always sounds super-fake to me. Was there a definitive film that shifted towards different gun sounds and set the new standard or whatever?

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
nm

Schweinhund fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jul 18, 2015

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Perhaps a really obscure question: so I noticed that in a lot of films there's this distinctive high-pitched ricochet sound that was almost always used for automatic gunfire. It's really common in sixties or seventies westerns and war films, but it was even used in Terminator (1:25 if the timing doesn't work)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iDjFsZ2L78&t=85s

But by T2 the sound design for gunfire is totally different and sounds a lot more "realistic" to me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnGVoiJj3ng&t=16s

That old richochet sound is never used nowadays and because I didn't grow up with it, it always sounds super-fake to me. Was there a definitive film that shifted towards different gun sounds and set the new standard or whatever?
Haha why the gently caress does that first video specify that non-English comments will be deleted?

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
Okay, this is one thing I've been wondering for a while about 80's comedies. There's just something about them them seem a lot different from the stuff that comes after. The protagonists are more smart-assy and there's a lot of "winking" at the camera. Also, there's seems to be way less music or ambient noise. I was watching Batman a few nights ago and I noticed it pretty hard. I know this is super vague, but does anyone else have an inkling of what I'm getting at?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

nickmeister posted:

Okay, this is one thing I've been wondering for a while about 80's comedies. There's just something about them them seem a lot different from the stuff that comes after. The protagonists are more smart-assy and there's a lot of "winking" at the camera. Also, there's seems to be way less music or ambient noise. I was watching Batman a few nights ago and I noticed it pretty hard. I know this is super vague, but does anyone else have an inkling of what I'm getting at?

I mean, yeah, I would say that part of the style of comedy that was popular at the time those movies were made.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Why did actors talk faster in older (as in pre-color era) films?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Sebadoh Gigante is one of my favorite usernames here.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Convention. Same reason actors act in a particular way in any era.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

They were overcompensating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1tnbPBCtnI

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

On a related note, does anyone still learn that weird pseudo-mid-atlantic accent that was so popular in the 30s-40s among people who wanted to appear serious or cultured? Like if you listen to Franklin Roosevelt's speeches, he affects a totally weird accent that I also sometimes hear in films of the period, but that I've never heard outside of "deliberate" rhetorical contexts like presidential radio broadcasts or fancy-pants films.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Jack Gladney posted:

On a related note, does anyone still learn that weird pseudo-mid-atlantic accent that was so popular in the 30s-40s among people who wanted to appear serious or cultured? Like if you listen to Franklin Roosevelt's speeches, he affects a totally weird accent that I also sometimes hear in films of the period, but that I've never heard outside of "deliberate" rhetorical contexts like presidential radio broadcasts or fancy-pants films.
Vincent Kartheiser does a pretty credible form of it as Pete Campbell on Mad Men.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Popular culture has subsumed the snotty provincial upper crust Ivy Leaguer affectation. When Steve Carrell does a version of it in Foxcatcher he looks and sounds like Nosferatu.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Are we talking about Frasier- style of speaking? If so, I can imagine some modern-day people using it, but it'd have to be a very particular kind of person... basically a guy like Frasier.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Are there box office statistics of how many tickets sold rather than how much money a movie made? It's kind of hard to compare box office numbers these days compared to even ten years ago due to ridiculous ticket price increases and the increase in 3D movies.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Cole posted:

Are there box office statistics of how many tickets sold rather than how much money a movie made? It's kind of hard to compare box office numbers these days compared to even ten years ago due to ridiculous ticket price increases and the increase in 3D movies.

Box Office Mojo has a chart that adjusts for inflation.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Yeah, but that doesn't really fix the comparison issue...

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Snak posted:

Yeah, but that doesn't really fix the comparison issue...

Have you looked at the sidebar on the page that was linked?

quote:

Adjusted to the estimated 2015 average ticket price of $8.12. Inflation-adjustment is mostly done by multiplying estimated admissions by the latest average ticket price. Where admissions are unavailable, adjustment is based on the average ticket price for when each movie was released (taking in to account re-releases where applicable)

Unless I've misunderstood your question, the ridiculous ticket prices are taken into account.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
You can't adjust for inflation when 3D didn't exist in its current form when Gone With The Wind came out since you can't adjust the inflation of something that didn't exist.

There are several versions of each movie out these days. IMAX, 3D, and regular.

This causes a problem with comparisons even when you adjust for inflation.

Forget all the semantics of the question and just break down the question:

Is there a way to see how many tickets sold rather than how much a movie made at the box office?

I don't understand why this question is so hard lol

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Also more movies come out, and are in theaters for a shorter length of time. Marketing is completely different, and the population is higher. There are so many factors that can make comparing statistics between movies, even just a decade apart, misleading.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

For American films I don't think anyone's kept track of that data and it would be incumbent on the individual theaters to do it. I know some smaller countries like South Korea do use number of admissions as their primary reporting number.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Cole posted:

You can't adjust for inflation when 3D didn't exist in its current form when Gone With The Wind came out since you can't adjust the inflation of something that didn't exist.

There are several versions of each movie out these days. IMAX, 3D, and regular.

This causes a problem with comparisons even when you adjust for inflation.

Forget all the semantics of the question and just break down the question:

Is there a way to see how many tickets sold rather than how much a movie made at the box office?

I don't understand why this question is so hard lol

Even though 3-D didn't exist, at least in wide form, films like Gone with the Wind would have roadshow presentations for a while at premium prices, followed by the general release at much lower cost. It wasn't uncommon for tickets to cost what is the equivalent to $20-25 today in the 1950s.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Egbert Souse posted:

Even though 3-D didn't exist, at least in wide form, films like Gone with the Wind would have roadshow presentations for a while at premium prices, followed by the general release at much lower cost. It wasn't uncommon for tickets to cost what is the equivalent to $20-25 today in the 1950s.

How does any of this information answer what I asked though

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
AFAIK this is probably closest to what you're looking for.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Cole posted:

Cole posted:

You're being very gracious to people who are trying up answer your question or address why it's not a good stat

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Cole posted:

Are there box office statistics of how many tickets sold rather than how much money a movie made?

So to really answer your question, the answer is gently caress no.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
That guy seems to have some sort of a problem with the modern-day world of cinema and some wrong ideas about how things were in the past.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I see there is no subject too innocuous for Cole's rock-headed stupidity.

cstang
Oct 27, 2005

Da Bears
I have a question about The Fugitive. The second time Kimble goes back to the hospital there is a scene where a black guy wearing a colorful shirt walks past the marshals. What is it about this guy that makes the marshals follow him?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

cstang posted:

I have a question about The Fugitive. The second time Kimble goes back to the hospital there is a scene where a black guy wearing a colorful shirt walks past the marshals. What is it about this guy that makes the marshals follow him?
...are you asking why the cops follow a black guy?

but honestly, I haven't seen that movie in years. Really should watch it again.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

cstang posted:

He's missing an arm, so they follow him to the missing limbs ward.

cstang
Oct 27, 2005

Da Bears

Armyman25 posted:

He's missing an arm, so they follow him to the missing limbs ward.

Makes sense. I have seen that drat movie a hundred times and I never noticed the guy was missing an arm.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
They know kimble was there, but didnt know why until the guy walked past and they remembered his 1-armed man claim. So if Kimble is looking for 1-armed men with info from the hospital, they can too and can set up police cars to look for him (like the one that gets put outside Sikes' apt).

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

I'm trying to think up a list of movies with the theme of "how real is this poo poo?" More along the lines of F for Fake than Exit Through the Gift Shop. I can't come up with anything though... any help?

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.

Jack Gladney posted:

Here's some examples of contemporary uses of it (from Wikipedia).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Mescal posted:

I'm trying to think up a list of movies with the theme of "how real is this poo poo?" More along the lines of F for Fake than Exit Through the Gift Shop. I can't come up with anything though... any help?

That one where Joaquin Phoenix pretends to go crazy, I'm, Still Here.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Mescal posted:

Things We Do In The Dark

e: maybe the Bob Dylan thing where its not Dylan acting but 3-4 actors idk?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Mescal posted:

Watch some Iranian documentaries. They like to play with blurring the line between fact and fiction. The most famous example is probably Close Up which is about a man who pretended to be a famous director to a woman he randomly met on the bus one day and this somehow escalated to him hanging out with her family and talking to them about cinema and trying to get them involved with the production of a nonexistant film. Close Up is a blend of actual footage from his trial for fraud inter-cut with scenes where the people involved play themselves in recreations of the events. The director the man was impersonating also shows up but it's very unclear how real or staged the scene he is in is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Mescal posted:

Making "The Shining"