Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

IME, the injuries are actually fairly realistic, but when you're trying to go through a season fast you don't want to deal with mundane stuff like your platoon LF being out for 4 days with a strained left wrist. I believe there is a league-wide setting for injury frequency, so you could just dial the injuries down. Strategically though, injuries are going to happen even if you set all your SP pitch counts to 90 and have all of your starters sit twice a week. It's part of OOTP (and baseball in general).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

They actually mirrored injury frequency to match what happens in real life. However, they've always had serious injuries happen too frequently and minor injuries happen too infrequently. The other problem is that injured players decline way too much. A prospect who misses a couple months can go from a top guy to nothing sometimes. I know it happens, but pulling a hamstring shouldn't derail a prospects career for good.

I'd just go in and lower the frequency a notch. Seems to help with the problem.

Buane
Nov 28, 2005

When all are one and one is all
To be a rock and not to roll
The other issue is with injury flavor due to the fact they've coded injuries in an extremely simplistic way.

The game works off an injury database that lists injury names, injury 'flavor text,' min length and max length of that injury, and whether the injury can occur while throwing and/or running and/or hitting and/or playing defense.

So when an injury occurs, the first thing the game determines is how long the injury is for. Once it decides the length of the injury, it goes to the injury database and picks an injury that matches that possible determined length, and matches the injury type (running, throwing, etc).

So let's say the game determines your CF just suffered a 133 day injury while playing defense. In your injury database there are two types of injuries that can be 133 days long and that are flagged as defensive injuries - a concussion, or a torn achilles. It literally doesn't matter which one the game selects. There's no modifier that says a concussion is more likely to result in a loss of talent, or that a torn achilles is more likely to affect the player's defense or running speed in the future...any effects that the player's ratings suffer afterwards is just part of their global randomizer.

On a macro scale the injuries and the loss of talents all average out to a decent point, but on a micro scale, taken case-by-case, they rarely make any functional sense. Which is why it's real frustrating for a guy to suffer a broken jaw in a collision at second base and his power drops from 9 to 6 as a result.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Buane posted:

On a macro scale the injuries and the loss of talents all average out to a decent point, but on a micro scale, taken case-by-case, they rarely make any functional sense. Which is why it's real frustrating for a guy to suffer a broken jaw in a collision at second base and his power drops from 9 to 6 as a result.

I'd love to see the injury system get an overhaul next year. You're right that none of it makes sense from a rating standpoint. Injuries should influence the specific ratings and not cause all to regress in the same way. I also hate how career ending injuries occur. Usually it's not a "he's done for his career" thing right away. It's the guy is out for a year or two and just never gets his abilities back.

I'm kind of surprised it hasn't been addressed since injuries have been done the same way for over a decade in their games. I wish some of the stuff like that along with AI would get improved moving forward. Feels it always gets put on the backburner because a vocal part of their community stresses customization over realism.

Buane
Nov 28, 2005

When all are one and one is all
To be a rock and not to roll
A lot of features of OOTP haven't been touched in a very long time. Fielding ability/ratings is complete trash and should have been overhauled 5 versions ago.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I find setting "bring me back from sim if injury is longer than" to two weeks works well, you don't get "oh no, such and such has a blister and will be dtd for 3 days" messages.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Are there any good tutorials on modding the game anywhere? I know the OOTP forums have a big subforum for mods, but it seems to be more links to people's mods than guides for someone trying to get started making their own league or world or whatever.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Super-League signups are open right now. Dozens of people over the years have said, "it's kinda fun I guess"

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Hello, OOTP players! I'm looking for some GMs for an MLB OOTP online league that I am in. We are about to start the 2017 season today. The league is through the prosportsdaily.com forums. The league reports site is here: http://psd16.com/game/lgreports/leagues/league_144_home.html. As the league is only a couple seasons old, plenty of MLB players are still in the league.

The teams that are currently active are very active. We're looking for other GMs who want to like to make at least some trades, but mostly will just keep up with the league and show signs of life between sims. We have a lot of openings: Jays, Reds, Giants, and Mets are open. Orioles, Royals, Twins, Mariners, Braves, and Nats may be open as well as those GMs have not been very active. It turns it it's hard to hold onto 30 active GMs.

The main difference in the league setup and offline OOTP MLB games is that draft picks are available for trading. There is also a procedure for post-deadline waiver trades. There is a trade committee made-up of longtime GMs to help prevent really bad trades from new GMs. The league sims 2 weeks of the season 3 times per week and everybody gets a little extra time in the off-season. You have to own OOTP 16 to play. Setup is pretty easy if you haven't done this before.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I'll take the task of making the Twins good, I'll sign up when I get home.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

I'll take the task of making the Twins good, I'll sign up when I get home.

They have like the best farm system in the league because they've drafted first a couple years in a row and someone managed to move Joe Mauer before quitting.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

tadashi posted:

They have like the best farm system in the league because they've drafted first a couple years in a row and someone managed to move Joe Mauer before quitting.

I registered an account so as soon as I get access I will dive in and get rolling :toot:

I see the AI already signed two contracts that I would never have done so hopefully I can get in before too much else happens :v:

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
I got OOTP 16 from last weekend's steam sale, and I've converted my save from previous versions. It seems like the game is a huge memory hog, more so than it usually is. I tend to get some weird freezes where the screen turns white, and sometimes black, but the window never goes into a temporary not responding mode. How can I fix that, or at least not have the game bog down my system so much?

EDIT: this tends to happen when I switch windows. I've seen other people reporting this issue but no resolution has been posted.

Armitage fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jul 1, 2015

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Armitage posted:

I got OOTP 16 from last weekend's steam sale, and I've converted my save from previous versions. It seems like the game is a huge memory hog, more so than it usually is. I tend to get some weird freezes where the screen turns white, and sometimes black, but the window never goes into a temporary not responding mode. How can I fix that, or at least not have the game bog down my system so much?

EDIT: this tends to happen when I switch windows. I've seen other people reporting this issue but no resolution has been posted.

Does this have something to do with it being the Steam version instead of the version directly from OOTP? OOTP can be a memory hog, especially while you're loading a league or simming so it's best not to try to do other things then but I haven't had a lot of issues with mine hanging otherwise.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

tadashi posted:

Does this have something to do with it being the Steam version instead of the version directly from OOTP? OOTP can be a memory hog, especially while you're loading a league or simming so it's best not to try to do other things then but I haven't had a lot of issues with mine hanging otherwise.

It's the Steam version. I don't know if it has anything to do with the white screen issue as other people who reported the same issue didn't mention which version they had.

Hopefully the new update takes care of the issue!

EDIT: Nope :(

Armitage fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jul 2, 2015

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

N: OOTP 16 is 50% off this weekend

V: I've tried to get into OOTP's before (with 9 and 14) and found them just a bit impenetrable, I want a little more hand-holding in terms of how to do things like re-sign a player. Is 16 any easier to get into or is it still "have a 100-page pdf open in another window, good luck lol"?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Everblight posted:

N: OOTP 16 is 50% off this weekend

V: I've tried to get into OOTP's before (with 9 and 14) and found them just a bit impenetrable, I want a little more hand-holding in terms of how to do things like re-sign a player. Is 16 any easier to get into or is it still "have a 100-page pdf open in another window, good luck lol"?

I just got 16!

I've been playing since OOTP 3 and there's still stuff I don't get about the game. For a new player, I'd recommend just starting a new standard MLB game, you'll know the players and teams and so on and the UI is really pretty accessible these days. After you've played for a few years you'll get the mechanics and whatnot down just through trial and error.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

bewbies posted:

After you've played for a few years you'll get the mechanics and whatnot down just through trial and error.
Do you mean "everblight struggles with the UI well into 2018" or "sim a few seasons, which should take a weekend"?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
The mobile version is $2, as well. I have no interest in a $20 baseball sim, but that's a reasonable price. I guess the question is, is the mobile game any good at all?

EDIT: Word on the app stores is that the iOS version is decent, the Android port of it is not with fundamental issues like touch recognition and button boundaries.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jul 10, 2015

con
Aug 5, 2004

There's always next year...
I'm starting an OOTP 16 league with the opening day rosters from 2015. Currently I have these teams spoken for:

Yankees, Red Sox, Indians, White Sox, Angels, Braves, Brewers, Cardinals, Pirates, Cubs, Reds, Dodgers, Padres

If you are interested in taking over any of the open teams let me know. I can direct you to the website we are running this on and give you a run down of the settings.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

con posted:

I'm starting an OOTP 16 league with the opening day rosters from 2015. Currently I have these teams spoken for:

Yankees, Red Sox, Indians, White Sox, Angels, Braves, Brewers, Cardinals, Pirates, Cubs, Reds, Dodgers, Padres

If you are interested in taking over any of the open teams let me know. I can direct you to the website we are running this on and give you a run down of the settings.

all-in on the twins

punissuer
Nov 6, 2009

con posted:

I'd be in for the Mets!

JackssWastedLife
Oct 30, 2006

con posted:

I'd take the Astros :getin:

con
Aug 5, 2004

The sign-up thread is here:

http://simchampions.com/t/ootp-league-discussion.2616/

Hoping to get this filled up through the weekend and get our first sim in on Monday night.

LambdaZero
Nov 5, 2009

suck it

con posted:

The sign-up thread is here:

http://simchampions.com/t/ootp-league-discussion.2616/

Hoping to get this filled up through the weekend and get our first sim in on Monday night.

Seein' some blank teams that weren't listed in the previous post. Are those free? I might sign up and take a stab at it.

Edit: Signed up, asked in the thread.

LambdaZero fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jul 24, 2015

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
So OOTP15 is in the Humble Bundle for $1... anyone want to start an OOTP15 league, or do people only use the newest one once it's out?

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

You also get a 50% off coupon for OOTP16.

con
Aug 5, 2004

Letting everyone who joined my league know we are full and hoping to have the first sim on Wednesday night. More information has been posted on the forum.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Anyone got a link explaining what I'd call the workflow for OOTP '15 -- like the stuff you do at the start of a new game, what you do at the start of each season, on a daily basis, etc. I can handle a big complex sim like the Paradox grand strategy games, which are the closest comparison I see, but I didn't really understand them before reading some fantastic screenshot LPs where somebody plays a game from scratch offering detailed explanations of everything you need to know when you need to know it. Anything like that for this? I assume other versions are close enough.

Faltese Malkin
Aug 22, 2005
Georgetown

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Anyone got a link explaining what I'd call the workflow for OOTP '15 -- like the stuff you do at the start of a new game, what you do at the start of each season, on a daily basis, etc. I can handle a big complex sim like the Paradox grand strategy games, which are the closest comparison I see, but I didn't really understand them before reading some fantastic screenshot LPs where somebody plays a game from scratch offering detailed explanations of everything you need to know when you need to know it. Anything like that for this? I assume other versions are close enough.

I don't think this is exactly what you're looking for but it might help:

http://www.reddit.com/r/OOTP/comments/2shqeg/a_massive_collection_of_every_tip_and_trick_ive/

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

That is really helpful, thanks. Also found some stuff on Youtube I'll glance at when I have time, though I prefer screenshot/text.

Faltese Malkin
Aug 22, 2005
Georgetown

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

That is really helpful, thanks. Also found some stuff on Youtube I'll glance at when I have time, though I prefer screenshot/text.

Glad to help. Have you tried the message board for OOTP ( http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/board/ )? They have some good stuff that you can dig through if you have time.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Quad posted:

So OOTP15 is in the Humble Bundle for $1... anyone want to start an OOTP15 league, or do people only use the newest one once it's out?

Probably too late since the bundle expires tomorrow but I would be open to a '15 league

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

Disappointed with OOTP 16. Now all of a sudden my game freezes when loading nation flags of all things? :confused:

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I recently had to reinstall because it couldn't load the world file :shrug:

If you're reinstalling, from OOTP's website, you can just use their latest update since it's the full game, rather than the original file you get in the registration email.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

Unfortunately I have the Steam version :(

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Armitage posted:

Unfortunately I have the Steam version :(

Yeah, it seems like this year's Steam version has been a bitch for everyone who uses it.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

tadashi posted:

Yeah, it seems like this year's Steam version has been a bitch for everyone who uses it.

I finally got it to go past the Loading Nation Flags thing and it seems to be running okay now.

I just wish I could install a decent feeder league system without the game crapping out. There's one template with NCAA teams and a good number of HS teams for each state but I imagine that's going to seriously bog down the game.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

If anyone wants the twins in con's league I just had to drop due to time constraints (con your rules are doody)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Hey, does anyone have the cheat sheet that explains what all the objects and conditions in english.xml are? The official OOTP manual references it but it seems to have disappeared off the internet.

• Locked thread