Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I have a Galaxy S6. I am looking for a car mount that is more of a dock. I want the microUSB to plug into the dock and have the phone charge when plugged into the dock. I ruined my old Galaxy Avant by plugging it into my microUSB directly but I used to have a dock for a really old phone that was awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I have a Galaxy S6. I am looking for a car mount that is more of a dock. I want the microUSB to plug into the dock and have the phone charge when plugged into the dock. I ruined my old Galaxy Avant by plugging it into my microUSB directly but I used to have a dock for a really old phone that was awesome.

Since your Galaxy S6 supports Qi charging, what you actually want is a wireless charger car mount.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

silence_kit posted:

This is kind of a false point though. It doesn't matter where they source the components if you are worried about your phone being made with slave labor. My understanding is that chip and display manufacturing is pretty automated--think of it as being similar to printing newspapers--and that human hands do not touch those parts once during the manufacturing process. I think you guys are just being reactionaries when talking about the idea of an ethically manufactured phone.

There was a case several years back of a display OEM using extremely harsh chemicals to clean the screens prior to shipment and they used humans to do that with minimal/wrong protection. Of course it was in violation of labor rules, but you know Asia manufacturing :shrug:

It's my understanding that it's a game of cat and mouse too. Obviously the brands you can think of don't like human rights violations but it happens at so many levels and the suppliers are very good at hiding it.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

silence_kit posted:

This is kind of a false point though. It doesn't matter where they source the components if you are worried about your phone being made with slave labor. My understanding is that chip and display manufacturing is pretty automated--think of it as being similar to printing newspapers--and that human hands do not touch those parts once during the manufacturing process. I think you guys are just being reactionaries when talking about the idea of an ethically manufactured phone.

Still needs test supervisors, people making the machines, etc. And those are still Foxconn workers or similar. So it's fair game.

bull3964 posted:

It's also pretty much a gimmick when you are using mainstream components.

Yeah, maybe final assembly isn't being done by Foxconn in china, but you can be drat sure that Qualcomm SoC or the the display doesn't have an unsullied history.

Fairphone uses places like Foxconn, but is working for better treatment of the workers in those factories. Randomly, workers at one of their factories no longer have ridiculously long mandatory overtime. Conversely, those workers also aren't taking home that overtime pay, which is its own concern as they negotiate for fair pay. They are also doing what they can to source conflict-free metals.

It's not perfect. It's buying a very boutique product to support the ideals, even in the face of the fact that this makes little difference to the overall industry.

Also it has a removable battery, replaceable components, a built-in protective bumper case, and dual SIMs. There are cool reasons to like the way this product that go beyond the mediocre stats.

Note that I do not own a Fairphone, but will consider getting the FP2 when it hits the US.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

this_is_hard posted:

Just got a new update on my Turbo. 23.11.39.quark. 24.8megs

No idea what it actually is

Weird, I just checked for system updates on mine after reading your post, and I have it too. Kind of out of the blue here right?

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

My HTC One M8 on Verizon all of a sudden started IDing my Mom by her full name when she calls. It also puts the country code in front of her number, which is weird since she's calling from the same city here in the U.S. I've changed nothing between yesterday and today on my phone. Any ideas on what's going on here?

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

ninmeister posted:

Weird, I just checked for system updates on mine after reading your post, and I have it too. Kind of out of the blue here right?

I turned on AC again, but I'm sure it's still complete poo poo. We'll see.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

ninmeister posted:

On the soak forums they said it's just under the hood bugfixes and won't be noticeable to users

(Not sure why they needed a soak if that was the case...)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

revdrkevind posted:

Still needs test supervisors, people making the machines, etc. And those are still Foxconn workers or similar. So it's fair game.

Fairphone uses places like Foxconn, but is working for better treatment of the workers in those factories. Randomly, workers at one of their factories no longer have ridiculously long mandatory overtime. Conversely, those workers also aren't taking home that overtime pay, which is its own concern as they negotiate for fair pay. They are also doing what they can to source conflict-free metals.

It's not perfect. It's buying a very boutique product to support the ideals, even in the face of the fact that this makes little difference to the overall industry.

Also it has a removable battery, replaceable components, a built-in protective bumper case, and dual SIMs. There are cool reasons to like the way this product that go beyond the mediocre stats.

Note that I do not own a Fairphone, but will consider getting the FP2 when it hits the US.

Again, cynicism comes into play. How many times did Apple investigate Foxconn and cite reforms only to discover that they were just being more clever at hiding the abuses? If a company as large as Apple can't police these ODMs, what hope does a smaller outfit like Fairphone have?

I know it all sounds very fatalistic and perhaps even unfair to Fairphone since they are obviously trying. I hope they produce a good and well supported product so people won't have to compromise on anything other than price when it comes to buying their products.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

If the leaked specs are correct, the Moto G seems like a real contender if it's anything close to the pricepoint of the current models.

quote:

The phone will sport a 5-inch FHD (1080p) display, stereo sound, 2070mAh battery, 1.7GHz Snapdragon 615 processor, Adreno 405 GPU, 2GB RAM, 8GB storage (with microSD support), 802.11b/g/n WiFi, Bluetooth 4.0, and Android 5.0 Lollipop.

With a 5" display, shouldn't be much larger than the 2013 Moto X and those are pretty drat good specs for a budget device. Storage will be a sore point if you have a lot of apps and the battery is a bit small. But not too bad for the pricepoint.

Edit: Other leaks have suggested that this one made a typo with the battery and it's a 2470mAh unit.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jul 21, 2015

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

How does that processor compare to the Krait in the 2013 X?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

How does that processor compare to the Krait in the 2013 X?

It's better. Adreno 405 vs 320, better DSP/radio, etc

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

bull3964 posted:

If the leaked specs are correct, the Moto G seems like a real contender if it's anything close to the pricepoint of the current models.

With a 5" display, shouldn't be much larger than the 2013 Moto X and those are pretty drat good specs for a budget device. Storage will be a sore point if you have a lot of apps and the battery is a bit small. But not too bad for the pricepoint.

Edit: Other leaks have suggested that this one made a typo with the battery and it's a 2470mAh unit.
Id like to see 3GB RAM and 16GB+mSD, but otherwise those really are nice specs for a budget phone these days. Im sure someone will bitch about 1080p, but that's still plenty if you aren't using japanese/chinese language characters where a single pixel can make a huge difference.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

GopherFlats posted:

So I upgraded to 5.1 on my turbo a couple weeks ago and everything was fine up until the last few days. It seems like now I have to restart my phone everyday because by the end of the day it starts lagging so bad its almost impossible to do anything and has started to heat up more than normal.

Are there any know 5.1 bugs on the turbo or hardware issues?
I know a couple of people who have had battery drain issues after the update, even after factory reset.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
My N5 screen is being held together literally with tape, my birthday is July 28, and OnPlus and Lenovo are both announcing phones on that day. Yes!

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Kafka Esq. posted:

My N5 screen is being held together literally with tape, my birthday is July 28, and OnPlus and Lenovo are both announcing phones on that day. Yes!

If they actually release the Moto X 2015 in the UK within a month or so of that date, I could be interested. They normally take ~6 months though.

Do Motorolas still have a locked bootloader, regardless of carrier & purchase method?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Kafka Esq. posted:

Phones form OnePlusOnePlusOnePlus and Lenovo? What a horrible birthday present!

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

I assume the "Lenovo" there is Motorola.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Rastor posted:

I assume the "Lenovo" there is Motorola.

Oh, that makes more sense.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
So I guess the new Moto G is going to be $240, which I dunno, seems a little pricey?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Daily Forecast posted:

So I guess the new Moto G is going to be $240, which I dunno, seems a little pricey?

Why in the world is that pricey?

To put it another way, what phones matching those specs are cheaper?

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Didn't the last one cost like $170 on release?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Daily Forecast posted:

With 3G only and no SD card (pretty sure), smaller display, worse internals, etc. Think it might have been $179, too (yeah that was the price). Makes sense to spread the G and E a little farther apart I think, as well. Isn't the current LTE Moto E $150?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Daily Forecast posted:

It's still less than half a top-tier phone for 70% of the capability.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

bull3964 posted:

Why in the world is that pricey?

To put it another way, what phones matching those specs are cheaper?

The top tier Zenfone 2 is $299, so only $50 gets you way more value.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

List price of the 1st Gen Moto G LTE was $219. So, this is $20 more and is a ton better.

Current Moto G is $180 but lacks LTE. Not to mention is has a 720p display and 1gb of ram.

Like it was said, the Moto E has kind of moved into this lower space. It makes sense to bring the G up to spec and separate them a bit more.

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="448050582"]
The top tier Zenfone 2 is $299, so only $50 gets you way more value.

You can play that game all the way up to $600 devices. The Moto G is also available to a lot more people.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jul 22, 2015

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
When the original Moto G came out there was basically nothing in the sub-$200 space which was anything remotely close in its capabilities or build quality. A generation and a half later (assuming a cell phone generation is 12 months) there are quite a few $200 options. Depending on the final config for the $240 version of the Moto G 2015 the ZF2 will run circles around it for $40 less (better proc and probably better camera). There's also a ton of last generation top tier phones available in the sub-$300 range as well. G3's, Moto X 2014, etc.

edit: I never clicked on the link. IBTimes is not a trustworthy news source. That said, water resistance would be a nice feature worth paying a little more for. I'm guessing they're going to try to keep at least one version below $200 though, even if they have to do a 8GB/1GB version.

BeastOfExmoor fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jul 22, 2015

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I wouldn't pay too much attention to the price in that article, it also claims the black version is exactly $2 cheaper than the white. That clearly isn't true so the prices could be complete bullshit.

bull3964 posted:

List price of the 1st Gen Moto G LTE was $219. So, this is $20 more and is a ton better.

Current Moto G is $180 but lacks LTE. Not to mention is has a 720p display and 1gb of ram.
There's a current gen Moto G 4G, just not in the US. It's £150 direct from Motorola in the UK but I don't know how the 3G or previous models were priced to compare.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
At least it finally has more than 1GB of RAM.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
So I just had a strange and worrying experience with my 2014 Moto X (Android 5.1). I was using Waze to navigate and listening to a podcast with BeyondPod, and any time Waze gave a direction, BeyondPod got kicked out of memory. At a stop light, I figured "what the hell" and swiped away all the other apps in the switcher's history. Once I'd done that, I had no more problems for the remaining ~15 minutes of my drive. I know Android is supposed to be better at managing memory than a user, but what the hell is this?! Simply a coincidence?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

If there was one thing I'd love, it would be to exclude loving ibtimes from Google now

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Skarsnik posted:

If there was one thing I'd love, it would be to exclude loving ibtimes from Google now

Yeah, better control (or just better filtering) over where it pulls its news from would be great. I've pretty much stopped clicking on any news stories it pulls up, because it usually gets topics I enjoy, but stories from the worst places on the internet.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

hooah posted:

So I just had a strange and worrying experience with my 2014 Moto X (Android 5.1). I was using Waze to navigate and listening to a podcast with BeyondPod, and any time Waze gave a direction, BeyondPod got kicked out of memory. At a stop light, I figured "what the hell" and swiped away all the other apps in the switcher's history. Once I'd done that, I had no more problems for the remaining ~15 minutes of my drive. I know Android is supposed to be better at managing memory than a user, but what the hell is this?! Simply a coincidence?

Motorola seems to have trouble with memory management for their phones. Something they're tweaking fucks it up, because all sorts of Moto phones have this problem. It's one of the main reasons I switched away from Motorola, having owned all Motorola android phones from 2009-2014. Just couldn't take all the little annoying performance quirks they have.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Motorola seems to have trouble with memory management for their phones. Something they're tweaking fucks it up, because all sorts of Moto phones have this problem. It's one of the main reasons I switched away from Motorola, having owned all Motorola android phones from 2009-2014. Just couldn't take all the little annoying performance quirks they have.

Oh, fantastic. I knew when I got the phone in May that it was an issue with 5.0, but didn't know it was Motorola as well as (at the time) Android. At least in a year I should be out of school and have a job so I can afford a new phone?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

hooah posted:

Oh, fantastic. I knew when I got the phone in May that it was an issue with 5.0, but didn't know it was Motorola as well as (at the time) Android. At least in a year I should be out of school and have a job so I can afford a new phone?

Yeah, idk. Multiple people have complained here about their Moto X's doing the same thing, my Moto G was atrocious also in this regard. The official Moto forums have a huge thread about stuff getting kicked out of memory, in both phone forum areas. I switched to a used Galaxy s4 running Samsung's official 5.0 update and have been much, much happier.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Weird, I've never noticed my Turbo kicking things out of memory and I'm constantly streaming music while navigating and whatnot

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

hooah posted:

You can force Android to keep apps resident if you're rooted. I use an Xposed module called App Settings for it.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

XIII posted:

Weird, I've never noticed my Turbo kicking things out of memory and I'm constantly streaming music while navigating and whatnot

Me neither, but the Turbo has 3GB of RAM so I don't expect it to have issues.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I never had an issue with my Droid MAXX, Droid HD MAXX, or Droid Razr either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
I never had memory problems with my Razr M either, but that phone had problem where music skipped and popped if anything else decided to use CPU time.

The Razr M not having memory problems really soured me on my Moto G when it did, because even when the Moto G had kitkat I couldn't keep music and GPS in memory at the same time :(