Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Just like last summer I was just in Nova Scotia visiting the parents for a week and it is depressing as ever. If you try real hard you can find children so it's not entirely constituted of seniors. Aside from a few university towns and top-end tourist attractions it is just atrophying away...

If you want to be depressed look at the economic plans that the various towns have for revival. Reopening the old coal mines! A ferry from Yarmouth to Maine (that stops for 30 minutes in Yarmouth)! It's like they can't think of any plans other than going back to what things were like in their day. They do not invest in modern infrastructure (e.g. Eastlink caps rural internet at like "15" MB down and 2 up, and the stretch of highway from Canso to Sydney is the worst I've ever seen in Canada) and on social issues they are 20 years behind Canada. The mayor of Sydney spends his time arguing for public prayer at his meetings. The mayor of Shelburne threw a shitfit because people thought her Duck Dynasty themed "Redneck Contest" was actually kind of racist.

Halifax will be fine, but the rest of the province is going to fall off a cliff.

edit: left out some relevant recent poo poo

Isentropy fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jul 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Isentropy posted:

If you want to be depressed look at the economic plans that the various towns have for revival. Reopening the coal mines! A ferry from Yarmouth to Maine! (that stops for 30 minutes in Yarmouth) It's like they can't think of any plans other than going back to what things were like in their day. They do not invest in modern infrastructure (e.g. Eastlink caps rural internet at like "15" MB down and 2 up, and the stretch of highway from Canso to Sydney is the worst I've ever seen in Canada).

Halifax will be fine, but the rest of the province is going to fall off a cliff.

Yeah. I hear you. My parents were bitching because apparently they're closing that highway and all the heavy freight traffic that is ferry-bound for Newfoundland will be taking the southern route through St Peters. Which is funny because that road is also hilariously bad. They resurface 1/8th of it every summer and by the time they're done they have to start over at the other end again because it's fallen apart. Port Hawkesbury is on life support now that the paper mill is mostly shut down.

Baronjutter posted:

You spend 4-5 grand a MONTH???

Haha that's nothing. Let me just copypasta from the investing mailing list at work. Please excuse the formatting and read bottom up.

quote:

Yup, Adam explained it very well. Most of the points actually came from sign up bonuses. Most cards will give you anywhere from 25k to 100k points after spending anywhere from $500 to $10k.

For example :
Chase Sapphire 40k after $3k
AMEX Gold 100k after $10k
AMEX Platinum 100k after $20k
Chase United MPE 55k after $2k
Barclay Arrival Plus 40k after $3k
AMEX SPG 25k after $3k

And many more. The above already adds up to more than 400k points plus points from the actual spending ($40k). Do that for both people in the household and it's easily 1 million points for $80k spend. That's 5 cards per person and will cost you about 20 points on your credit score (initially but will recover pretty quickly after half a year) and $500 in annual fees (only the AMEX Platinum did not waive the annual fee the first year.)

There are tons of offers out there so if you apply for 2-3 cards every 3-4 months, you can easily rack up a lot of reward points.

So how do you spend $80k? Most household expenses are at least that much but there are plenty of ways to spend. Pay for someone else, use for business trips, home improvements, pay mortgage using ChargeSmart for a 2.8% fee, pay property tax (2.75% fee), etc...

You weigh the fees vs the rewards. I gladly paid about $2k in fees for 1 million points.

>>The way most people I see do it, is they buy $10,000 or so in reload cards (Vanilla Reload, or Visa Gift Cards, there's a bunch of companies and I don't know all of them because I don't do this quite as seriously) using a rewards credit card, then cash those cards into a bank account (There's at least a few that let you do this, Bluebird by American Express comes to mind). Wait a few business days for it all to clear, and you've just established $10,010 of spend (after fees) and have $10,000 in that bank account. Transfer it back to pay your credit card bill, and repeat next week. Ultimately, you just spent $10 for 20,000 miles (worth about $200). I'm sure Susan can elaborate on the specifics.

>>Do that every single week, and you've spent $520,000 over the course of a year. It's a ton of work, but when you consider the rewards you get from it, it can easily be worth it.

>>I don't go to quite this level, but I signed up for about 7 different credit cards last year for rewards miles. I've flown round-trip to seattle with my girlfriend (first class), took her with me last summer to SJC when I was out for my noogler week, and am flying round-trip with her again to Japan next month - all paid for with rewards miles, and it probably only took me 5-10 hours of research on the right cards/offers. That's easily $4-5k in savings for minimal work. I'm sure my credit took a bit of a hit when I signed up for all those cards at once (and another when I just cancelled all but one of them), but I didn't need it for anything at the time.

>>>My all-in-one favorite card is Barclay Arrival at 2.2% cashback for everything! :)

>>>But to give some fairness to the point arbitrage game, I did generate over a million points in less than a year....

>>>>Can you elaborate on how you did that? This means $500k in spend? How did you accomplish that?

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Just FYI you're kind of revealing your employer with that post.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Square Peg posted:

Yeah our last IT guy would always make company computer and software purchases through his personal card and then expense it back and kept the points.

Holy poo poo thsts brilliant I'm gonna talk to our procurement guy about doing this a few dozen times. Maybe it'll get me to finally ask for a higher limit on my card.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

OhYeah posted:

So there are people working for the oil industry who made 6k+ a month and had nothing saved? Like not even a grand so you can survive one month without using a credit card for loving grocery shopping?

Dude, I know a couple who both work(ed) in the oil industry; combined they made almost $300k/year before taxes and they were living paycheque to paycheque. Now that they're both out of work (who'd have thought that at the first sign of a downturn that all the inexperienced and overpaid staff would be the first against the wall?) things are about to get...interesting...for them.

And here I am with less than a quarter of their income, saving more money than I know what to do with, frankly. I just hope to hell they don't come asking me a loan. Either that or I'll give it to them, then get my cousin Guido to get them to pay up when the time comes...

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

MeinPanzer posted:

So because of a family medical emergency I'm back for a few months from the States to live in Vancouver with my parents. They live in Victoria normally and they've been lucky enough to be able to stay in a condo owned by a family friend in Kitsilano. The whole area is full of Lululemon-clad housewives parading around tiny dogs and over the last couple of weeks every single conversation I've overheard the neighbour having on his patio has been about flipping properties.

Keep on keeping' on, Vancouver.

Edit: Oh, and I keep hearing ads on the radio for classes on how to flip real estate FAST to make a SERIOUS PROFIT!!!! I thought that poo poo was behind us after 2008.

this video is accurate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXQCABue8y8

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

blah_blah posted:

Just FYI you're kind of revealing your employer with that post.

It's in his profile anyway.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
It's me, the h1-b dink expat who hoovered up a taxpayer subsidised degree and fled to america!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Haha that's nothing. Let me just copypasta from the investing mailing list at work. Please excuse the formatting and read bottom up.

Jesus, I'm sure if I tried something like that I'd gently caress it up and end up like 200k in debt. Don't the credit card companies close loop holes like that? It all reads like The Gang's steak and chicken airmiles scam.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Baronjutter posted:

You spend 4-5 grand a MONTH???

FYI 4 grand net is something like 70k salary wise so I'm not sure how you think it's a ton of money.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

jm20 posted:

FYI 4 grand net is something like 70k salary wise so I'm not sure how you think it's a ton of money.

Because earning 4k per month is not the same as spending 4k per month on consumption

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Mantle posted:

Because earning 4k per month is not the same as spending 4k per month on consumption

Look at these poors.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
drat, I can't even think of what to spend $4k a month on aside from mortgage, cars, tuition.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

Jesus, I'm sure if I tried something like that I'd gently caress it up and end up like 200k in debt. Don't the credit card companies close loop holes like that? It all reads like The Gang's steak and chicken airmiles scam.

Yeah credit card companies have gone after things like reward miles.

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS
According to this thread about airmiles abuse, CC companies are tightening it up, but they are not "loopholes" - everyone ends up profiting. https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=9916974

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
this my little pony avatar guy seems pretty well off

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

cowofwar posted:

drat, I can't even think of what to spend $4k a month on aside from mortgage, cars, tuition.

Food, liquor, travel. Those are basically three of my favourite things, and I could increase spending on any one of them to an arbitrary level if I so chose.

There's still the question of why people with nothing in the bank would prioritize those things over saving for a rainy day, other than sheer stupidity and greed, but I do see the attraction.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

According to a Fraser Insititute study. The Toronto Star has a story about why the comparison between Ontario and California is BS.

Of course I'm biased against Fraser because it's a libertarian piece of poo poo think-tank.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Just like last summer I was just in Nova Scotia visiting the parents for a week and it is depressing as ever. If you try real hard you can find children so it's not entirely constituted of seniors. Aside from a few university towns and top-end tourist attractions it is just atrophying away...

Why do so many seniors move to Nova Scotia? It's weather can't be very good for them, and tax rates on goods and services are higher here than in other provinces. I would think people living on a fixed income would move somewhere else.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jul 22, 2015

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
For one California is running a large budget surplus.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
From now on, if you make less than 100k/year, gtfo out of this thread.

Starting here
<------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------>

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

More like if you dont have 100k or more in personal debt you cant post here.

:smug:

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

Ccs posted:

Why do so many seniors move to Nova Scotia? It's weather can't be very good for them, and tax rates on goods and services are higher here than in other provinces. I would think people living on a fixed income would move somewhere else.

It's more just that seniors are the only ones who haven't gotten the gently caress out by now.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Ccs posted:

According to a Fraser Insititute study. The Toronto Star has a story about why the comparison between Ontario and California is BS.

Of course I'm biased against Fraser because it's a libertarian piece of poo poo think-tank.

lmao the meltdown was on how dare Ontario issue more muni bonds to repair and improve province infrastructure.

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007
Its earnings season, but some good poo poo I wanted to share. Yes I am that pathetic that I copy links down to read later.

https://twitter.com/dbcurren/status/623655749089103872

http://www.economist.com/blogs/buttonwood/2015/07/commodities

http://www.valuewalk.com/2015/07/searching-for-natural-hedges-against-interest-rate-risk/

http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2632024

And now,

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-07-21/wall-street-prepares-reap-billions-another-main-street-wipe-out

and for those who asked. Dollar Cad is over, there is only 10 basis points left that the BoC can cut, due to the limits of Canadian bond market depth and inventory of bonds on standby. This also means a QE program will be stupidly short lived, since QE needs a free supply of floating bonds to purchase inorder to force bond holders into equities and equity like risk. However, if the economy gets worse, QE and Twist will come to Canada. In which case, if you think inflation was bad now in Vancouver, look at that UK and Seattle mean home price chart again, study it. Love it.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Cultural Imperial posted:

From now on, if you make less than 100k/year, gtfo out of this thread.

Starting here
<------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------>

Salary or Investment or combined?

Furnaceface posted:

More like if you dont have 100k or more in personal debt you cant post here.

:smug:

If you have a part time job you qualify for a 100k mortgage :canada:

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

jm20 posted:

If you have a part time job you qualify for a 100k mortgage :canada:
To buy a Porta-Potty in Kitsilano.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I want to believe, Hal, I want to believe, but you always sound like a crank from /r/collapse and I just can't take that seriously anymore.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Let me get this straight, austerity is good because it summons the ~confidence fairy and enables the government to build up a warchest of dry powder for some hot hot bailout money. Naturally, the captains of industry will start to spend money and invest in their businesses, creating jobs. This will somehow happen in the face of shrinking global demand for, well, anything. So now we're lowering interest rates to weaken the dollar to attract foreigners to buy our goods and that isn't working either (unless you're selling houses) and worse, we've only got about 10 basis points left to cut. Once Poloz has bottomed out the overnight rate, he'll have to resort to buying bonds and poo poo. Except that there isn't that much bonds for him to buy.

So in summary, austerity is good because ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Austerity is up there alongside trickle down economics.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

jm20 posted:

Austerity is up there alongside trickle down economics.

Not really, because trickle down economics is a very fuzzy subject and you can use vague arguments to claim it works which might be difficult to argue against but austerity is demonstrably an idiotic idea and it can never work. Like I said before, austerity is a question of philosophy and not a question of economic policy.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Europe is giant case study in why austerity is a bad idea.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

quote:

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/07/20/crooked-house-toronto_n_7833452.html

Crooked House On Shaw Street In Toronto Listed For $688,800

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Man, I really wonder what's going to happen to all these loving suburb developments that have been popping up along the north coast in the most buttass remote locations. Like, pay $50,000 to buy a half acre in a "planned community" and deal with a Homeowners Association 100km from any civilization.

It's retarded, and driving up the price of remote rear end land too high for any crazy people to actually buy said land and get away. I've become convinced that the end of crown land sales / exemptions in the 1970s was a deliberate attempt to gently caress us all down the line by making it extremely hard to acquire allotments if you aren't rich as gently caress. We must have the least available titles per capita of any western nation.

Ex: http://www.bcoceanfront.com/oceanfront-minstrel-island-oceanfront-properties?id=437

As soon as I'm employed again I'm taking out a $50,000 mortgage and buying up by Bella Coola or Porcher. gently caress having to interact with Canadians.

Rime fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jul 22, 2015

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009

jm20 posted:

Pretty good deal, I lived around the corner in a similar house (built 1890) in somewhat better condition and it could sell for $1.2M easily. Tear it down and build a gaudy oversized house and you could do well for yourself. Or just sit on it for land value, we got constant lowball solicitation from developers trying to buy up the block.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Rime posted:

As soon as I'm employed again I'm taking out a $50,000 mortgage and buying up by Bella Coola or Porcher. gently caress having to interact with Canadians.

move to savory island. it's still cheap (cause you need a boat)

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Funny story, we put an offer in on the house on the far right in 2007 (it was listed at $399K at the time and we went for full asking and were outbid). The house we looked at was crooked as poo poo, but this house above was much much worse, and was also in a state of extreme neglect - it had no less than three broken windows that I could see, and had a bunch of scrap metal piled in the backyard. Our concern with the house on the right was less that it was crooked (it was very crooked, you could put a pencil on the ground and it'd roll across the room easily) but that the owners of the house above would let that thing collapse into ours.

The area is gorgeous and I doubt you could buy anything decent there for less than $875K, but I think tearing it down would be easier said than done. I think there's an underground creek or something running in between both houses which means that any new property would eventually sink like that too without some major engineering involved.

e: from the looks of it, someone did some serious work on the house we originally bid on. It was leaning at a much more extreme angle in 2007.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

flashy_mcflash posted:

Funny story, we put an offer in on the house on the far right in 2007 (it was listed at $399K at the time and we went for full asking and were outbid). The house we looked at was crooked as poo poo, but this house above was much much worse, and was also in a state of extreme neglect - it had no less than three broken windows that I could see, and had a bunch of scrap metal piled in the backyard. Our concern with the house on the right was less that it was crooked (it was very crooked, you could put a pencil on the ground and it'd roll across the room easily) but that the owners of the house above would let that thing collapse into ours.

The area is gorgeous and I doubt you could buy anything decent there for less than $875K, but I think tearing it down would be easier said than done. I think there's an underground creek or something running in between both houses which means that any new property would eventually sink like that too without some major engineering involved.

e: from the looks of it, someone did some serious work on the house we originally bid on. It was leaning at a much more extreme angle in 2007.

The article says the house on the right underwent a full renovation by the current owners.

Some sick part of me wants to see property values jump double digits every month just to see how high it can go. Were past the point of a soft landing or even moderate reset at this point so whatever. Bring on the guillotine.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

jm20 posted:

That house is a duplex, so it's $688,800 for half, $1,377,600 for the whole lot. I like how realtors have to put lots of 8s in the price to attract Chinese buyers.

Here are the listings:
868 Shaw St, Toronto, ON, M6G 3M2
866 Shaw St, Toronto, ON, M6G 3M2

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

As seen on YTV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-x-MSpesX4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

speaking of bubbles, greedy chinese get fleeced by the stock bubble:
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/23/business/international/stock-downturn-hits-chinese-investors-in-the-heart-not-just-the-wallet.html

quote:

Amateur traders turned to numerology long a fixture of Chinese culture to pick the best investments. Some purchased prayers beads made especially for investors in hopes of boosting their luck.