Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Having been playing this for the last week (just started with 11b), I'd have to say my biggest desire for AI improvements would be intelligent building queues. They continually seal off areas before they finish building stuff deeper in (like plugging sapper holes with new walls).

Also, this:

quote:

Enemies (especially wargs) now ignore unpowered unmanned turrets and mortars.

Should probably be reverted. I have huge death fields of turrets on power switches and the enemy just blithely wanders into the middle of them whereas they'd just snipe all the turrets to death from a safe distance if they were on.

In related news, sappers can go gently caress themselves. My best defense against them so far has been the fact that the arctic ice sheet my base is built on has an average outside temperature of -20C. The last sapper raid came during a cold snap in January when it was -70C out (heated internal rooms were hovering around -1C :gonk:), the whole group broke from stress and hypothermia before finishing their tunnels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Flesh Forge posted:

Looking at how DFHack and Dwarf Therapist work and what they have to go through to update them, yeah I'm pretty comfortable saying DF is not friendly to modders.

Yeah, but those are significantly outside of the realm of mods that just add or modify stuff. Hacking in a new gui and adding in functionality that the game is not built to handle is not something that a developer should be required to support.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Flesh Forge posted:

Let's see what Tynan's doing toda-
"Added amniotic fluid spray to birth."

:catstare:

"Refactored filth to use ‘cluster’ graphic with defined color. Blood, pod slime, vomit, and amniotic fluid can now share graphical assets."

:dogbutton:
Right.

What the game could do with is QoL features for the core gameplay like weapon/equipment 'sets' for when people get drafted versus offduty, so using modded tools that give workspeed bonuses is less of a slog.

Stuff like a solid first aid system would also help players and raiders, especially on larger maps.

What we're getting is amniotic fluid spray clustering, life stages that raise the barrier to entry just that little bit to anyone who wants to add new stuff to the game, and increasingly intricate nuzzling algorithms.

Do we really have to make our workers clean up muffalo placentas if we want whatever actually cool stuff is going to be in the next big patch? Is that where this game should go?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

jBrereton posted:

Do we really have to make our workers clean up muffalo placentas if we want whatever actually cool stuff is going to be in the next big patch? Is that where this game should go?

Think about things a little. How easy is it to add a little effect to birth, and how easy is it to create a loadout system? He's just adding flavour to the game in a few minutes in between working more complicated systems. Its really that simple.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

jBrereton posted:

Right.

What the game could do with is QoL features for the core gameplay like weapon/equipment 'sets' for when people get drafted versus offduty, so using modded tools that give workspeed bonuses is less of a slog.

Stuff like a solid first aid system would also help players and raiders, especially on larger maps.

What we're getting is amniotic fluid spray clustering, life stages that raise the barrier to entry just that little bit to anyone who wants to add new stuff to the game, and increasingly intricate nuzzling algorithms.

That would require a complete re-work of how raids and combat works because currently you are more than likely not going to have enough time for your guys to get their combat gear on before raiders shoot them all. The first aid system as it currently is works pretty well.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Think about things a little. How easy is it to add a little effect to birth, and how easy is it to create a loadout system? He's just adding flavour to the game in a few minutes in between working more complicated systems. Its really that simple.

Uh no, I'm pretty sure that any updates that aren't 100% targeted at what I want are a waste of Tynan's time and a literal slap in the face.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If every surface of your fort isn't slick with effluent of some description then you're not playing a real DF-alike.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

bonds0097 posted:

Uh no, I'm pretty sure that any updates that aren't 100% targeted at what I want are a waste of Tynan's time and a literal slap in the face.

This, but ironically

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
pretty sure bonds0097 was actually being ironic :ssh:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Seriously HOW DARE HE spend a whole loving day on amniotic fluids GOD DAMMIT LAZY FUCKBOTTLE

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Flesh Forge posted:

Seriously HOW DARE HE spend a whole loving day on amniotic fluids GOD DAMMIT LAZY FUCKBOTTLE

Looks like the changes he's made will probably make the game run better even when the place is a huge mess.

BRB pooping
Apr 17, 2008
Someone mentioned a mod with traders that come to visit. How does that work? Do you have to send colonists to him like with the communication-station and then barter? I would really appreciate a link, sounds wonderful.
Out of everything in the game right now the trade-system bugs me the most. We are supposed to be in a universe where FTL is impossible. We are stranded on a backwater planet but somehow different tradeships come by every week/month.

About the animal-stuff: It owns. Anything that adds depth, gameplay and more reasons for the simulation to go berserk (imagine a psychic wave hitting all your tamed Muffalos) is ok in my book.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Space trade is certainly a very weird thing lore wise but it's good for gameplay. Would be interesting if different factions could trade though.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

BRB pooping posted:

Someone mentioned a mod with traders that come to visit. How does that work? Do you have to send colonists to him like with the communication-station and then barter? I would really appreciate a link, sounds wonderful.
Out of everything in the game right now the trade-system bugs me the most. We are supposed to be in a universe where FTL is impossible. We are stranded on a backwater planet but somehow different tradeships come by every week/month.

About the animal-stuff: It owns. Anything that adds depth, gameplay and more reasons for the simulation to go berserk (imagine a psychic wave hitting all your tamed Muffalos) is ok in my book.

Basically, yeah. It's just like any group of visitors only they set up a tent outside your base which you can then use. IIRC they even set up a trading beacon if you don't have one yet, so you can haul stuff you want to sell to it.

What I'd really like is rescue attempts from hostile factions. The more prisoners of a hostile faction you have prisoner, the more enemies could be spawned to extract them. If you have only one or two they could even make it so that it'd be only three guys, one of which will attempt to dig through the wall into the cell while the other two stand on guard. I think it'd make for some interesting gameplay. There could even be some interesting interactions where you'd get the option to release the prisoner or face an attack.

BRB pooping
Apr 17, 2008

Taeke posted:

What I'd really like is rescue attempts from hostile factions. The more prisoners of a hostile faction you have prisoner, the more enemies could be spawned to extract them. If you have only one or two they could even make it so that it'd be only three guys, one of which will attempt to dig through the wall into the cell while the other two stand on guard. I think it'd make for some interesting gameplay. There could even be some interesting interactions where you'd get the option to release the prisoner or face an attack.

This would be wonderful. A small chance of a converted ex-prisoner defecting to his old tribe right in the middle of a siege would be cool aswell.

The trade-system as-is is fine for now, i think i´ve heard Tynan talk about it being a stand-in for something else. We´ll see.

EDIT: Trying to find the trade-mod on the forums, what is it called?
Spelling/grammar

BRB pooping fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jul 16, 2015

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I hope it is a standin, the interface is awful. I'd love a sell all button and locks to prevent sales of individual things you don't want to get rid of (like i want to sell that vast pile of great bows but leave the sniper rifles alone). Or in lieu of locks a refinement to the stockpile system that would let me assign individual items to a specific stockpile because I'd love to be able to have an armory of my situational weapons and have everything else dragged off to the sales pit.

I'd also like to see a ransoming option for prisoners. Right now I tend to just catch and release most of the tribals just to get them to stop attacking me, but its hardly even worth capturing a pirate. Recruitment chance is too low, harvesting their organs then selling them just annoys everyone, and releasing them has no positive faction effect. At this point I just shoot the shocked ones on the ground and only capture guys that have bionic limbs to steal.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I had a pair of incapacitated pirates lying outside of my base for something like 3 years because my guys kept on feeding them.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Azhais posted:

I hope it is a standin, the interface is awful. I'd love a sell all button and locks to prevent sales of individual things you don't want to get rid of (like i want to sell that vast pile of great bows but leave the sniper rifles alone). Or in lieu of locks a refinement to the stockpile system that would let me assign individual items to a specific stockpile because I'd love to be able to have an armory of my situational weapons and have everything else dragged off to the sales pit.

You can more or less do that already, you can control stockpiling by type, quality, and condition, so you can set up high priority stockpiles to keep a limited number of quality weapons of whatever type you want and everything else can go by the beacon.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

Taerkar posted:

I had a pair of incapacitated pirates lying outside of my base for something like 3 years because my guys kept on feeding them.

Yeah, this is really annoying. Is there a way to stop this (other than beating them to death)?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If they're prisoners you can tell them not to receive food.

Otherwise kill them I guess? Free XP.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Yeah you can't select whether they are fed or not until they are actually captured/rescued. One way to prevent this is to restrict everyone (or all doctors) to an allowed area but it's a pretty annoying feature/bug. Supposedly it's getting taken out in a future update.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Considering that I was in pretty good shape when it came to food at that point, I treated them as being an ever-present warning to any that might attack my settlement in the future.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

You can rescue downed animals (tame or wild) and carry them to an animal bed.

:3:

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Things took a turn for the great.

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

Tynan certainly has the insanity thing down, always a plus when making a game like this it turns out.

Dotcom656
Apr 7, 2007
I WILL TAKE BETTER PICTURES OF MY DRAWINGS BEFORE POSTING THEM
So I've bought this recently. played a little and went looking for mods. Found the SK global modpack and installed that. Now its not letting me select materials to make walls and other things with. its only letting me try to make gold walls. what the hell?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Taerkar posted:

Are we supposed to look down on your incredibly humane colonists?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Both of them are missing limbs. So it's probably less of a humane thing and more of a prolonging their eternal agony thing.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
They're scarecrows obviously.

scarepirates

:black101:

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Dotcom656 posted:

So I've bought this recently. played a little and went looking for mods. Found the SK global modpack and installed that. Now its not letting me select materials to make walls and other things with. its only letting me try to make gold walls. what the hell?

If that includes EdB Interface, they changed it so you right click to select materials, so you don't have to select every time you go to build something, is my only guess.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Dotcom656 posted:

its only letting me try to make gold walls.

There's just never enough gold out there to make a shimmering golden palace. This saddens me.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Azhais posted:

There's just never enough gold out there to make a shimmering golden palace. This saddens me.

There is if you get the MD2 modpack and use the fissure generator/ore extractor.

Dotcom656
Apr 7, 2007

Lprsti99 posted:

If that includes EdB Interface, they changed it so you right click to select materials, so you don't have to select every time you go to build something, is my only guess.

I thought I tried right clicking but it never opened a materials menu. I'll try again though.

EDIT: Right click just gives me the same "You have no suitable materials to build this" message.

Dotcom656 fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jul 22, 2015

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Probably should check with whoever compiled that modpack.

e: Apparently Alpha 11c is about to be/just was released. Tynan has it listed in the change log but I haven't gotten a download link yet.

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jul 23, 2015

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

First stop for modpacks is making sure to generate an entirely new world after installing and activating all the mods in the recommended mod order. Sometimes mods don't play well with existing worlds.

The second stop is to uninstall the modpack because holy poo poo that looks awful.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Tommofork posted:

The second stop is to uninstall the modpack because holy poo poo that looks awful.

Seriously, that is like every single mod, even things that outright conflict with each other.

Dotcom656
Apr 7, 2007

Tommofork posted:

First stop for modpacks is making sure to generate an entirely new world after installing and activating all the mods in the recommended mod order. Sometimes mods don't play well with existing worlds.

Yeah I'm just going to uninstall this and install what I want in particular.

Does anyone have a current list of what mods they like to use? I'm not sure whats going to be poo poo vs actually interesting for these lists of mods.

Dotcom656 fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jul 23, 2015

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

A list with links is here:

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=14062.0

I like:
- EdB Interace, EdB Prepare Carefully (very good UI improvements and customized embark profiles that can be saved)
- EdB Mod Order (control the load order of mods, useful for things that override other things; vanilla can do this too but this mod is less awkward)
- MarvinKosh's Hot and Cold Pack (Makes desert, tundra, ice sheet etc a lot more challenging and interesting in various ways)
- Bulk Meals (prepare meals in batches of 4 or 8)
- Brunayla's Security Company (adds crafting for just about all vanilla equip, as well as cannibalizing the same for raw materials; nice in that it's very modular and probably won't conflict with a lot of other mods that add custom equipment)
- Skullywag's Additional Lighting (a few basic variations on lights that look nice) OR Igabod's Advanced Lighting (a whole bunch of more advanced lights that also look nice, don't use both)
- Sadlers Pawn State Icons (adds concise little graphical floating icons that show what's wrong with your colonists)
- JuliaEllie's Vein Miner (adds a new designator that lets you click on a vein of metal and designate the entire thing for mining)
- Latta's RedistHeat (adds central heating/cooling constructions, part of it works really well and is useful but unfortunately the ductwork parts are super flaky in this release)
- JustinC's Zombie Apocalypse (ZOMBIES OMG ZOMBIES HOLY poo poo, be aware this turns Rimworld into a pretty different experience but it's awesome)

I generally am pretty happy with the vanilla game's combat balance, so I don't go for stuff that adds new weapons or more powerful turrets or whatever. There's a couple of other things that are just cosmetic, like hair packs or whatever, that you can try if you like.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Yeah Alpha 11c is available for download, check your Sendowl download link :)

Also my poor mods :(

e: oh I guess this build didn't break very much regarding mods, all of mine seem to work fine :shrug:

quote:

Changes:

Mitigated a game-killing bug caused by corrupted pawns. The corrupted pawn will now be destroyed instead of causing broken saves and game crashes. I’m still tracing the root cause of this so I can make the game not generate corrupted pawns in the first place.
Fixed a stuck-pawn bug caused by wardens trying to recruit downed prisoners and immediately ending their job, over and over.
Fixed prisoner config resetting at inappropriate times.
Fixed floor smoothing speed being determined by mining skill (it’s now construction).
Fixed repeated EMP damage canceling stuns in progress.

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Jul 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

A11d has been released but the only change appears to be a correction of savegame location on the Mac version, FYI.