Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
So do you guys ever have discussion on tier 1 decks in various formats?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Nope. All brews, all the time. :getin:

Now, I've been thinking about this 5-color morph deck that abuses Ghostfire Blade and Obscuring Aether for giant free morphs.

RoflcopterPilot
Mar 17, 2004
What did the five fingers say to the face? SLAP!

C-Euro posted:

You're a control deck, your win condition is "answer everything that your opponent does and grind them out over many turns". Theoretically if you have enough counters and discard you could win through Clique beats alone, maybe with one resolved life drain spell to help out. I kind of like either running more of either Black Vise or The Rack as a way to grind people out more- you either run lots of discard and permission to make The Rack more effective, or run some Howling Mine effects so that your opponent gets dinged by Vise and Underworld Dreams while you draw enough answers to stop whatever they try to do. But I don't know anything about Vintage so maybe this is a bad idea.

Yeah, that makes sense. Thanks for the help. I've made some adjustments and decided to leave out the tinker+colossus. I playtested Howling Mine a bit and it felt like it wasn't really working out. The problem was that once Necropotence comes into play it basically just gives my opponent free cards since I don't benefit from it unless I've been able to load up on Black Vise's in-game. Anyways, here's where I'm at now. It looks like it's slowly becoming more of a TPS deck with backup from Clique. Shrug.

Deck: UB...whatever

//Lands
4 Island
1 Mana Confluence
2 Polluted Delta
1 Strip Mine
6 Swamp
4 Watery Grave

//Spells
1 Black Vise
1 Brainstorm
2 Cabal Ritual
1 Chrome Mox
2 Cruel Tutor
4 Dark Ritual
1 Demonic Tutor
2 Duress
4 Force of Will
4 Gitaxian Probe
1 Ivory Tower
1 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
1 Lotus Petal
1 Mana Crypt
1 Mystical Tutor
1 Necropotence
1 Personal Tutor
1 Ponder
2 Preordain
1 Sol Ring
2 Spell Pierce
1 Tendrils of Agony
1 Vampiric Tutor
1 Yawgmoth's Will

//Creatures
4 Vendilion Clique

Display deck statistics

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

TheKingofSprings posted:

Just depends on the deck; brewing tends to lead to more discussion because you're not going over well-tread ground.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Is this ground too well-tread, then?
Deck: Esper Delver (Modern)

//Lands
1 Darkslick Shores
3 Flooded Strand
1 Godless Shrine
2 Hallowed Fountain
4 Island
2 Marsh Flats
1 Plains
3 Polluted Delta
2 Seachrome Coast
1 Swamp
1 Watery Grave

//Spells
4 Inquisition of Kozilek
4 Lingering Souls
3 Mana Leak
2 Murderous Cut
4 Path to Exile
3 Remand
4 Serum Visions
3 Spell Pierce
4 Vapor Snag

//Creatures
4 Delver of Secrets
2 Geist of Saint Traft
1 Tasigur, the Golden Fang
1 Vendilion Clique

//Sideboard
3 Disenchant
1 Echoing Truth
2 Ghostly Prison
4 Kor Firewalker
1 Murderous Cut
4 Pithing Needle

Display deck statistics

I keep looking for reasons not to pick up the remaining pieces (Clique, Geists, and Visions) once I have some spare cash and Modern season ends, but I'm having too much fun goldfishing this list. I feel like the mana needs a little more tweaking but other than that I feel alright about it other than it not being a URx version of Delver.

RoflcopterPilot
Mar 17, 2004
What did the five fingers say to the face? SLAP!

C-Euro posted:

Is this ground too well-tread, then?
Deck: Esper Delver (Modern)

//Lands
1 Darkslick Shores
3 Flooded Strand
1 Godless Shrine
2 Hallowed Fountain
4 Island
2 Marsh Flats
1 Plains
3 Polluted Delta
2 Seachrome Coast
1 Swamp
1 Watery Grave

//Spells
4 Inquisition of Kozilek
4 Lingering Souls
3 Mana Leak
2 Murderous Cut
4 Path to Exile
3 Remand
4 Serum Visions
3 Spell Pierce
4 Vapor Snag

//Creatures
4 Delver of Secrets
2 Geist of Saint Traft
1 Tasigur, the Golden Fang
1 Vendilion Clique

//Sideboard
3 Disenchant
1 Echoing Truth
2 Ghostly Prison
4 Kor Firewalker
1 Murderous Cut
4 Pithing Needle

Display deck statistics

I keep looking for reasons not to pick up the remaining pieces (Clique, Geists, and Visions) once I have some spare cash and Modern season ends, but I'm having too much fun goldfishing this list. I feel like the mana needs a little more tweaking but other than that I feel alright about it other than it not being a URx version of Delver.

Is there a reason for using Serum Visions instead of Preordain?

Edit: oops, missed that. My bad.

RoflcopterPilot fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jul 17, 2015

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It's to play around being disqualified for using a banned card

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Irony Be My Shield posted:

It's to play around being disqualified for using a banned card

Actually it's a meta call
E: To be less shitposty, check out Modern's ban list. For better or worse a lot of cheap card selection spells are banned in an effort to slow down combo decks.

Also, is eight creatures + a Lingering Souls playset enough mans on the ground/in the air? Lingering Souls has done work in my playtesting but for an "aggro" deck it just feel very creature-light.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jul 17, 2015

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

My friend was at an SCG invitational or some legacy thing last year, and in the 6/0 bracket played against someone who cast Mystical Tutor.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

If you decided on a UR final build can you post it, I may copy it and run it.
Sideboard is still TBD, I'm thinking something like a heavy counterspell package, some treasure cruises for grindy matchups, and some smash to smithereens since this is apparently going to be a popular archetype here. Maybe 3 Smash to Smithereens, 3 Disdainful Stroke, 3 Stubborn Denial, 3 Treasure Cruise, and 3 Encase in Ice, although maybe Disperse deserves a spot over Encase since I'm mostly trying to win quickly. I have some Anger of the Gods but that seems bad unless I've already got some big guys down.

I'm still on the fence about the Temples of Epiphany, t1 is fine but t1 + t2 is awful, I may go down to 2 and add in 2 Mana Confluence. I'm also considering 2 Chandra's Folks in the place of the two Scoots, but I love Scoots and this is his last time to shine.
e: I'm also on the fence about Artificer's Epiphany vs. Anticipate, the one mana difference + getting to take the best 1 of 3 is probably better than 2 off the top might make Anticipate the better card.

BXCX fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jul 17, 2015

Aureus
Nov 20, 2006

bhsman posted:

I'm still doing more testing (and will probably post more about this in the Brew thread going forward), and was thinking "OK, I can deal with RDW by doing this and this, but what about a straight-up burn list? What then?" and then realized I could use the Dragons option on Monastery Siege. :hawaaaafap:

I'm going to build this deck. Other than the Day's Undoings and maybe some of the new Origins Mythics, it's cheap as hell to assemble. Plus, I love any deck that lets me play Anticipate.

AlternateNu posted:

I'm just throwing it out there that I think Anticipate is a bad choice for the deck. There is enough redundancy that I would just throw more fogs in.

Pulling these over from the main Magic thread.

This is where I'm currently at when trying to keep this Turbo Fog as a lol <$20 deck.

2 Treasure Cruise
3 Revealing Wind
3 Artificer's Epiphany
4 Dictate of Kruphix
3 Aetherspouts
2 Reclaim
4 Defend the Hearth
4 Winds of Qal Sisma
4 Sphinx's Tutelage
4 Monastery Siege
3 Negate
4 Radiant Fountain
4 Thornwood Falls
4 Temple of Mystery
4 Forest
8 Island

Side

2 Dissolve
4 Orbs of Warding
1 Negate
2 Reclaim
1 Revealing Wind
2 Disdainful Stroke
2 Clash of Wills
1 Treasure Cruise

Mostly running my sideboard as Anti-Burn/Tokens or Anti-Control ish outfits. I think the sideboard is a mess honestly as its partly as it is to experiment while playing. Which hopefully I'll have done Online before the next FNM.

I just don't like running Anticipate or Dig because I'd rather have 'drawn' the fog instead of going searching for it, and I'd rather have the triggers going off from Artificer instead of not getting them off Anticipate or Dig.

The way this deck is I've got 11 fogs and a 'go get my fog back/my tutelage back/my siege back/my aetherspouts back' with reclaim.

The version of this people are playing around with at Salvation is a UGw combination that just seems somehow even jankier that demands more mana to function than a straight UG.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
Is there room for a Dark Deal?
Drawing 4 or 5 with a couple of Sphinx's Tutelage out or even if you're just out of fogs and need to refuel, it's like Day's Undoing without the graveyard reshuffle and ending your turn.

Also, I'm a fan of leaving the Alhalummet's Archive and Orbs of Warding in the maindeck as a way to enable the Artificer's Epiphany, maybe add a Cranial Archive or two and the Revealing Winds.

3 Revealing Wind
2 Artificer's Epiphany
4 Dictate of Kruphix
3 Aetherspouts
1 Orbs of Warding
1 Alhammarret's Archive
1 Dark Deal
2 Cranial Archive
4 Defend the Hearth
4 Winds of Qal Sisma
4 Sphinx's Tutelage
4 Monastery Siege
3 Negate
4 Radiant Fountain
4 Thornwood Falls
2 Temple of Mystery
1 Temple of Deceit
1 Temple of Malady
4 Forest
8 Island

Mouth Ze Dong fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jul 19, 2015

Aureus
Nov 20, 2006

End of Life Guy posted:

Is there room for a Dark Deal?
Drawing 4 or 5 with a couple of Sphinx's Tutelage out or even if you're just out of fogs and need to refuel, it's like Day's Undoing without the graveyard reshuffle and ending your turn.

Also, I'm a fan of leaving the Alhalummet's Archive and Orbs of Warding in the maindeck as a way to enable the Artificer's Epiphany, maybe add a Cranial Archive or two and the Revealing Winds.

I'm not worried about enabling Artificer because I'm running under the assumption I'm casting it for triggers because I have a fog, or because I need to find a fog. Discarding just means tossing something I hopefully don't want into the graveyard to feed a cheaper Treasure Cruise. I mean I could be fully wrong here but I just don't want to be diluting away from the main goal of the deck by having artifacts main board that are either expensive or off mission. I mean we're looking at not being able to 'safely' cast the Archive till 7 mana is down as you're likely to need that fog mana up by turn 5. The Orbs are incidental protection against Burn and Tokens that I'm all for bringing in 4 of as a sideboard, but not in the main.

A one of Dark Deal doesn't sound like a bad to me other than its introducing some inconsistency into the deck by widening the mana base. Could go with 1 x Temple of Malady, 1 x Temple of Deciet, 2 x Opulent Palace - Pulling 2 Temples of Mystery and 2 Thornwood Falls. Then Run 2 Dark Deals.... pulling something.

Something about it just isn't feeling right to me.

Aureus fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jul 19, 2015

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
I don't mind that Anticipate doesn't 'draw' the card because we have so many ways to enable Tutelage already, whereas this gives an instant-speed way to dig for a Fog; Epiphany is also fine and enables Dig/Cruise, but the 3cmc makes it slightly awkward. My issue with Cruise is that, admittedly while goldfishing, it was just kind of a dead card because I wasn't actively discarding enough and I didn't want to exile my fogs. The deck either needs Fetchlands or just does better with instant-speed digging.

EDIT: Fetches also enable the Dark Deal play better.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Aureus posted:

2 Treasure Cruise
3 Revealing Wind
3 Artificer's Epiphany
4 Dictate of Kruphix
3 Aetherspouts
2 Reclaim
4 Defend the Hearth
4 Winds of Qal Sisma
4 Sphinx's Tutelage
4 Monastery Siege
3 Negate
4 Radiant Fountain
4 Thornwood Falls
4 Temple of Mystery
4 Forest
8 Island

Side

2 Dissolve
4 Orbs of Warding
1 Negate
2 Reclaim
1 Revealing Wind
2 Disdainful Stroke
2 Clash of Wills
1 Treasure Cruise
This list has 21 cards that cause instant card disadvantage when cast. There's no way four Howling Mines and two Treasure Cruises can make up for that, you'll just run out of cards and die very quickly.

Dark Deal makes the problem even worse.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jul 19, 2015

unao
Dec 12, 2013
Hello! i got two planeswalkers at release and decided to make a deck in those colors. However, i'm bad at making decks, so i came here. I guess it'll mainly see play at fnm, but who knows.
standard
i dont know the prices exactly, only things like, kolaghans pricey, duress cheap, so i made this as ideal, with the exception of toughtseize and fetch lands, wich arent included.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/19-07-15-OpH-rbd/

TIA.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

Are there any good Goblin decks for standard now? I am looking to get back into Standard and last time I got back into the game I was able to do quite well with a $20 goblin deck someone posted here. I know Piledrivers are going to be a bit pricey but I am okay picking them up as long as its the only card in the deck worth more than like a dollar or two.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

soscannonballs posted:

Are there any good Goblin decks for standard now? I am looking to get back into Standard and last time I got back into the game I was able to do quite well with a $20 goblin deck someone posted here. I know Piledrivers are going to be a bit pricey but I am okay picking them up as long as its the only card in the deck worth more than like a dollar or two.

Something like this is a good start: http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=87868

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
IZZET GOGGLES!

4 Darksteel Citadel
7 Island
6 Mountain
4 Shivan Reef
4 Temple of Epiphany

2 Exquisite Firecraft
4 Fiery Impulse
4 Magmatic Insight
2 Shrapnel Blast
2 Stoke the Flames

2 Ensoul Artifact
3 Ghostfire Blade
4 Pyromancer's Goggles

4 Hangarback Walker
4 Renowned Weaponsmith
2 Scuttling Doom Engine
2 Soul of New Phyrexia

Impulses kill early threats if I need to, and I can pop one for 3 x 2 damage the turn I throw down Goggles (which is optimally turn 3). 25 lands lets me fuel Magmatic Insight and ensures I can hard cast Soul/Scoots if I don't draw an Weaponsmith. Hangarback Walker is early board presence, value, and a 6/6 minimum if I Ensoul it.

The question right now is what kind of burn I should put in my open slots. Currently it is at 2/2 Firecraft/Stoke, but I'll have to test it since usually only Hangarback's Thop-Thops will be convoking for it, but instant speed is really nice.

Magical Christmas Land: Swing with Scoots, then cast Shrapnel Blast with Goggles to deal 22 to the opponent. :v:

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy
I do wonder, can you fit black into that fog deck? Maybe for Languish and Downfall, or even Ashiok? I've had Ashiok get away with entire games all by itself and take out half an opponent's deck, which would work very well with this strategy. No idea how to build the land base though. I'd rather kill their stuff than Day's Undoing for a fog and keep hoping for an Aetherspouts.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Someone in the main thread asked that I post my Turbo Fog list I went 3-0 with yesterday at my LGS. Here's the specific list I played with.

8 Island
3 Forest
4 Temple of Mystery
4 Thornwood Falls
4 Radiant Fountain
1 Darksteel Citadel

4 Dictate of Kruphix
4 Monastery Siege
4 Sphinx's Tutelage
2 Profane Memento

2 Dig Through Time
2 Treasure Cruise
2 Ætherspouts
3 Artificer's Epiphany
2 Revealing Wind
3 Anticipate
4 Defend the Hearth
4 Winds of Qal Sisma

Sideboard
3 Displacement Wave
3 Negate
3 Feed the Clan
2 Orbs of Warding
2 Hornet Nest
2 Clash of Wills

Notice I'm playing 0 copies of Day's Undoing because I think it's a desperation card that is basically the opposite of your gameplan. The deck ran fine without them.

Profane Memento is an idea I stole from my friend who played Mono-U Tutelage at FNM last week before Turbo Fog became known. They were great in all my matches, as once you get Tutelage going with one of them out, you're basically gaining 3-5+ life every turn for free.

Going forward, I think the main is a little bit too weak to decks featuring Burn spells. I'm strongly considering adding 2 Negates to the mainboard, as I still think Orbs is too situational to run main. I'd probably cut a Revealing Wind and maybe a Monastery Siege.

Another thing to consider. This deck itself basically dies to an opposing Orbs of Warding. If Turbo Fog actually becomes a thing, and considering the entire deck is $20 that could be the case, I'd consider something like Reclamation Sage in the SB for mirror matches.

qbert fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jul 22, 2015

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

qbert posted:

Someone in the main thread asked that I post my Turbo Fog list I went 3-0 with yesterday at my LGS. Here's the specific list I played with.

8 Island
3 Forest
4 Temple of Mystery
4 Thornwood Falls
4 Radiant Fountain
1 Darksteel Citadel

4 Dictate of Kruphix
4 Monastery Siege
4 Sphinx's Tutelage
2 Profane Memento

2 Dig Through Time
2 Treasure Cruise
2 Ætherspouts
3 Artificer's Epiphany
2 Revealing Wind
3 Anticipate
4 Defend the Hearth
4 Winds of Qal Sisma

Sideboard
3 Displacement Wave
3 Negate
3 Feed the Clan
2 Orbs of Warding
2 Hornet Nest
2 Clash of Wills

Notice I'm playing 0 copies of Day's Undoing because I think it's a desperation card that is basically the opposite of your gameplan. The deck ran fine without them.

Profane Memento is an idea I stole from my friend who played Mono-U Tutelage at FNM last week before Turbo Fog became known. They were great in all my matches, as once you get Tutelage going with one of them out, you're basically gaining 3-5+ life every turn for free.

Going forward, I think the main is a little bit too weak to decks featuring Burn spells. I'm strongly considering adding 2 Negates to the mainboard, as I still think Orbs is too situational to run main. I'd probably cut a Revealing Wind and maybe a Monastery Siege.

Another thing to consider. This deck itself basically dies to an opposing Orbs of Warding. If Turbo Fog actually becomes a thing, and considering the entire deck is $20 that could be the case, I'd consider something like Reclamation Sage in the SB for mirror matches.

I was considering doing this until bfz since I can make it for cheap but I considered splashing black for sultai charm and maybe Ashiok. Sultai charm still works well with tutelage and delve and gives a maindeck answer to random things like other sphinxes tutelages. I'm also not super sold on days undoing myself.

Aureus
Nov 20, 2006

qbert posted:

8 Island
3 Forest
4 Temple of Mystery
4 Thornwood Falls
4 Radiant Fountain
1 Darksteel Citadel

4 Dictate of Kruphix
4 Monastery Siege
4 Sphinx's Tutelage
2 Profane Memento

2 Dig Through Time
2 Treasure Cruise
2 Ætherspouts
3 Artificer's Epiphany
2 Revealing Wind
3 Anticipate
4 Defend the Hearth
4 Winds of Qal Sisma

Sideboard
3 Displacement Wave
3 Negate
3 Feed the Clan
2 Orbs of Warding
2 Hornet Nest
2 Clash of Wills

I like it. If I enjoy my version I think I'll be grabbing some of the couple of buck rares from your list. The profanes are interesting, did they work well?

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

qbert posted:

Someone in the main thread asked that I post my Turbo Fog list I went 3-0 with yesterday at my LGS.
2 Dig Through Time
3 Anticipate

Sideboard
2 Hornet Nest

Did Anticipate and Dig pul their weight despite not triggering the tutelage? Also, I like the idea of siding in hornet's nest against R/G. I mean, I guess Atarka has trample, so forcing them to give me 5 1/1's isn't a total blowout, but defend the hearth would let one of them trade while none trampled over... Interesting...

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

End of Life Guy posted:

Did Anticipate and Dig pul their weight despite not triggering the tutelage? Also, I like the idea of siding in hornet's nest against R/G. I mean, I guess Atarka has trample, so forcing them to give me 5 1/1's isn't a total blowout, but defend the hearth would let one of them trade while none trampled over... Interesting...

Yes, they were both fantastic. What I learned from the games I played is that triggering Tutelage is not really a big deal. You're going to be getting triggers off of Dictate/Siege/Epiphany as it is. It's actually much more important that you can find Tutelage itself and/or the fog you need to not die next turn, and those two cards are great at doing that.

Every time I actually found and resolved Tutelage, I felt so much more confident about winning the game. It's those times where it's T5 and I still haven't drawn the card that gives the biggest sweat.

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy
That Profane Memento is a fantastic idea.

What do you guys think about something like this: http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/sultai-standard-sphinx-mill/

Sultai for Charm/Ashiok and assorted removal plus card draw enchantments. Was playtesting stuff earlier and the U/B version got completely destroyed by the unkillable Gaea's Revenge, so Sultai Charm seems like a great idea.

The landbase seems okay? Very new at making those. Any way to add in the fog cards or any other suggestions? Thanks!

Dohaeris fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jul 22, 2015

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
The only issue with the Tutelage deck is that RDW or Atarka Burn is, like, a 2-8 matchup; I like the Profane Memento tech for sure, I'll just need to test it out.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

bhsman posted:

The only issue with the Tutelage deck is that RDW or Atarka Burn is, like, a 2-8 matchup; I like the Profane Memento tech for sure, I'll just need to test it out.

I agree, which is why my sideboard is mainly dedicated to that matchup. If you can live long enough to resolve Orbs, that actually beats the Red Aggro deck. Also Displacement Wave for 0 wipes out all goblin tokens.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

qbert posted:

I agree, which is why my sideboard is mainly dedicated to that matchup. If you can live long enough to resolve Orbs, that actually beats the Red Aggro deck. Also Displacement Wave for 0 wipes out all goblin tokens.

Yeah, I think the deck is already so strong against Abzan and Devotion that Talent of the Telepath is worth removing for Displacement Wave.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

qbert posted:

Yes, they were both fantastic. What I learned from the games I played is that triggering Tutelage is not really a big deal. You're going to be getting triggers off of Dictate/Siege/Epiphany as it is. It's actually much more important that you can find Tutelage itself and/or the fog you need to not die next turn, and those two cards are great at doing that.

Every time I actually found and resolved Tutelage, I felt so much more confident about winning the game. It's those times where it's T5 and I still haven't drawn the card that gives the biggest sweat.

Have you thought about Kruphix's Insight to dig for the enchantments? I know you're losing Fogs but if you need to start milling it finds you the pieces.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

GoutPatrol posted:

Have you thought about Kruphix's Insight to dig for the enchantments? I know you're losing Fogs but if you need to start milling it finds you the pieces.

I considered it, but I ultimately dismissed it for a few reasons:
- You really need all your dig effects in your deck to be able to search for fog spells, as beyond Turn 5 or so, you really are in danger of dying on any turn you don't have a fog in hand.
- I don't like that it's sorcery speed, meaning you probably have to spend your whole turn doing only this and holding up fog mana.
- Your have 11-12 enchantments in the deck anyways, so chances are you'll have one of them in hand, and casting that enchantment always seems better than playing this spell. Plus those other enchantments naturally help you dig through your deck for Tutelage anyways
- Unless you have 8 mana available, you can't cast this, find Tutelage, and cast Tutelage on the same turn, while holding up 2 mana for fog. If you just cast Insight by itself, find Tutelage, and pass, that gives any deck playing Thoughtseize a turn to make you discard it.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
What about playing a single displacement wave maindeck? Rdw and elves are going to be pretty common for a while and it seems like a solid card for those matchups. It's not as good as cyclonic rift was in turbomaze but still seems like it could buy a lot of time off aggro decks.

Also how does the deck beat an Ugin?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Fingers McLongDong posted:

What about playing a single displacement wave maindeck? Rdw and elves are going to be pretty common for a while and it seems like a solid card for those matchups. It's not as good as cyclonic rift was in turbomaze but still seems like it could buy a lot of time off aggro decks.

Also how does the deck beat an Ugin?

Displacement Wave in the main seems fine.

Deck completely folds to Ugin, hence my decision to bring a couple Negates into the main.

If your opponent resolves Ugin, your best chance is to have Orbs, which can't be exiled and prevents Ugin burn, and basically try to setup Tutelage + Cruise or Epiphany on their upkeep for the kill.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

qbert posted:

Displacement Wave in the main seems fine.

Deck completely folds to Ugin, hence my decision to bring a couple Negates into the main.

If your opponent resolves Ugin, your best chance is to have Orbs, which can't be exiled and prevents Ugin burn, and basically try to setup Tutelage + Cruise or Epiphany on their upkeep for the kill.

I assumed as much, which is why I agree that negate should be in the maindeck. Anything that screws with your wincons is Negate-able, except reclamation sages I guess.

Thoughts on Alhammaret's Archive? Cute card and seems like a fun one-of but I'm not sure it's worth including. The inclusion of profane memento makes it better but I think it's still a very slow card.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Thoughts on Alhammaret's Archive? Cute card and seems like a fun one-of but I'm not sure it's worth including. The inclusion of profane memento makes it better but I think it's still a very slow card.

I kind of dismissed it outright based on CMC alone but it could be good. Could be a decent 1-of. The deck does have a million draw effects so the chances of it being dead are slim.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

So... I think I might be on to something. Super Standard crazy Rally the Ancestors deck.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/22-07-15-rally-the-elves/

My Sideboard so far is just reclamation sages, so it has a big chunk of work to do on it. It has a ton of trouble with control decks, so a bit of input would be awesome.

It utterly shreds everything else it goes up against except control. Abzanimals, Jeskai tokens, RDW... It has this wonderful way of laughing in the face of removal and wipes, in a "Oh, that's just kinda helped me get a whole bunch of ETB triggers a second time, thanks. Now have a load of damage" way.

e. Help with my SB to deal with lovely control decks would be awesome. Ta!

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon

Deckit posted:

I feel like 20 creatures is gonna be light for a CoCo deck and its gonna whiff on the top 6 with spells and lands. Maybe replace it with Serum visions to help sculpt the hand and draws. If you're set on it being temur, the only other good creature's I can think of in the colors are Pestermite, which can be apart of your combo, or Ven. Clique. Or even Spellskite mainboard.

Brewing for Super Standard. Mono-U robots.
Deck: Thopterbots

//Lands
3 Darksteel Citadel
1 Foundry of the Consuls
18 Island

//Spells
3 Anticipate
2 Artificer's Epiphany
1 Bident of Thassa
4 Ensoul Artifact
2 Ghostfire Blade
2 Negate
2 Sword of the Animist
2 Thopter Spy Network

//Creatures
4 Bonded Construct
4 Chief Engineer
4 Chief of the Foundry
4 Hangarback Walker
4 Ornithopter

Display deck statistics

Played about 8 games against Temur Dragons. Anger of the Gods wrecks me but the deck plays out like Affinity in Modern where a good hand lets me vomit it out and start swinging. I really like Animist Blade and turn 2 Ensoul on an Ornithopter is always strong as hell. I originally had Orbs of Warding in because turn 3 Orbs of Warding is funny. Hangarback Walker always feels good with Chief Engineer Convoke and mid to late game he's a great pull. Might replace Epiphany with two more creatures or Springleaf Drum. Will see!

After SCG Chicago is there anything you'd change to this build or might you just leave it the same? I'm curious because I built the exact same deck and now i'm wondering if it can be optimized in a better way.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

bhsman posted:

Yeah, I think the deck is already so strong against Abzan and Devotion that Talent of the Telepath is worth removing for Displacement Wave.
I assume that's there for control matchups which are otherwise going to be rough due to all the dead cards you have against them.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I assume that's there for control matchups which are otherwise going to be rough due to all the dead cards you have against them.

Wouldn't grindclock be a better card than talent? Iirc it's already used occasionally in control sideboards for the mirror, and it's easier to cast than talent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
Inspired by BW spirits of MM2, I was curious if there were any particularly good 2 mana spirits? I can only think of Kami of ancient Law and Wicked Akuba.

Also, does a bestow creature retain its creature types as an aura? If I bestow Baleful Eidolon onto thief of Hope, will it trigger the Thief?

• Locked thread