Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Stux posted:

"ios is dead" said in a time wher eiphones acount for over 90% of ther smartphones markets profit.

yes thanks for repeating that apple users grossly overpay for what they buy, which is why the profit margin is so high for the people ripping them off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

holy poo poo i bet those dual gig ethernet ports were a hot feature when that thing came out

that thing is not what i was talking about. that horrible thing is a standard sparc motherboard stuffed into a suitcase, so it has the same 2x1G that a regular 1U server would have had

the bullfrog was an actual honest to god laptop

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
thanks to the wayback machine

BEHOLD

a 16 gb, 20.5 lb laptop from 2004

and unlike those 20 lb sager abominations i don't think it even plays quake very fast

pram
Jun 10, 2001
one butan lol

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pram posted:

one butan lol

it's three buttons

the round one is the middle button

pram
Jun 10, 2001
what is that strip of buttons on the bottom edge there

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pram posted:

what is that strip of buttons on the bottom edge there

probably media keys

for all those times you're playing mp3s on your $20,000 solaris laptop

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

BEHOLD

and unlike those 20 lb sager abominations i don't think it even plays quake very fast

:jackbud:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Nintendo Kid posted:

yes thanks for repeating that apple users grossly overpay for what they buy, which is why the profit margin is so high for the people ripping them off.

its easy to make a cheap oplatform when u make it out of poo poo and use a poo poo os, this is what we have learned from windows an d android.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Stux posted:

its easy to make a cheap oplatform when u make it out of poo poo and use a poo poo os, this is what we have learned from windows an d android.

yes, apple makes a cheap platform out of poo poo with a poo poo os, and sells it for a high price to morons like you. that's why they make massive profit off you

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

zen death robot posted:

Please learn how to type.

i can do over 90pwm idiot.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Stux posted:

i can do over 90pwm idiot.

only 90 pulse width modifications? that's not very useful for lighting control

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Nintendo Kid posted:

yes, apple makes a cheap platform out of poo poo with a poo poo os, and sells it for a high price to morons like you. that's why they make massive profit off you

ur right the competition such as samsung Plastic Piece OF poo poo With leadther and HTC One week of functionality before Failing are much higher quality, as is android aka the mobile os which is somehow susepticble to viruses and malware.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Stux posted:

ur right the competition such as samsung Plastic Piece OF poo poo With leadther and HTC One week of functionality before Failing are much higher quality, as is android aka the mobile os which is somehow susepticble to viruses and malware.

yeah apple phones sure are lovely and overpriced, and somehow you think it's good you overpay? hosed up

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

zen death robot posted:

That's "90wpm" and they count off for mistakes.

hmm sorry lookas like i fuckinpwn at typign. sorry aboutt ur bad type soeed.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

zen death robot posted:

I don't even know what you're trying to say now. Shape up, you look like a goddamn idiot.

You're Moniter Is Turned Off.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

uncurable mlady posted:

go suck each others dicks in some other thread, christ

v. problematic

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

nothing wrong with sucking dick, just telling them to do it somewhere else

fuckin' a

pram
Jun 10, 2001
gas

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

BEHOLD

lmao a whole loving PCI-X slot

and still has dual gig ethernet in the year 2004 god drat

how much did that sumbitch cost?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

no don' t gas yet i need to hear more about the sparcs computers

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

agreed

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

zen death robot posted:

Apparently it ran for anywhere between $4950 - $14850

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SPARCbook

those numbers are for a much cheaper system from 10 years earlier

i never bought a bullfrog but i remember it being in the 20k-30k range

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
I had to look at the thread title to figure out what the hell I was supposed to be reading about.

Also in the sake of effort, VIA chipsets sucked balls and even when the Athlons were at their prime they were the square tires paired with your V8.

TerminalRaptor fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jul 22, 2015

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
there were so many poo poo chipsets back in the day sis, via, nvidia and lots went unsupported after xp or vista came out

meanwhile Intel chipsets from 15 years ago probably work on Windows 10

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Perplx posted:

there were so many poo poo chipsets back in the day sis, via, nvidia and lots went unsupported after xp or vista came out

meanwhile Intel chipsets from 15 years ago probably work on Windows 10

Yeah you can run Windows 10 on an early Pentium 4 board, so long as you have at least a 2005 Era video card.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
I just added an athlon 2200+ e-machines to my hoard. Looking at driver support, I will finally be able to ditch this bloatware called windows XP and get back to the reasonable system requirements of 98 SE.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Look at this poo poo.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

TerminalRaptor posted:

I had to look at the thread title to figure out what the hell I was supposed to be reading about.

Also in the sake of effort, VIA chipsets sucked balls and even when the Athlons were at their prime they were the square tires paired with your V8.

i seem to recall they all had issues

like nforce chipsets would have HDD controller freakouts and other weird glitches, VIA would just crash your poo poo, and SIS tended to be okay but usually lagged in terms of features and performance

i could be misremembering though. maybe SIS was just dogshit all around?

i know as far as motherboards went some of the budget brands like ECS were basically a coin toss as to whether the board you got was actually solid or was a flaky piece of poo poo, like i remember ollllld SHSC threads where it seemed like it was seriously 50/50 "yeah this K7S5A (or whichever one had both SDR/DDR ram slots) works great" "this board won't stop loving hard locking"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

those numbers are for a much cheaper system from 10 years earlier

i never bought a bullfrog but i remember it being in the 20k-30k range

so did like some airplane instrumentation require solaris or something? because i'm having trouble thinking of anything else that that would be reasonable for

the most ridiculous current laptop i can think of other than sager 1337gamer stuff is something like this: http://en.getac.com/notebooks/X500-Server/features.html

its ip65 though so its existence makes sense

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

hobbesmaster posted:

so did like some airplane instrumentation require solaris or something? because i'm having trouble thinking of anything else that that would be reasonable for

I imagine some poor data analyst lugging the thing behind a type A CFO that wants to run potential acquisitions' data through their own reporting software that runs on solaris.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

hobbesmaster posted:

the most ridiculous current laptop i can think of other than sager 1337gamer stuff is something like this: http://en.getac.com/notebooks/X500-Server/features.html

its ip65 though so its existence makes sense

i thought this was a 2u rack with a giant screen lol

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

pram posted:

i thought this was a 2u rack with a giant screen lol

unfortunately rack mounted stuff can't be made ip65 and work in 45C ambient

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Look at this poo poo.

what processor is on that emachines?

E: nevermind saw it was on your previous post

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Celexi posted:

what processor is on that emachines?

That's an ivy i5 in a three year old computer. The e-machines doesn't quite work yet, but its only upgradeable to 512mb of ram. xp sp3 would run like crap on that.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

my stepdads beer posted:

what's cherry trail

14nm atom, some parts of it made by kwinkles

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
i will fight you

pram
Jun 10, 2001