Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
So, yesterday they had a special Firefall Live with cowboy, the guy doing the battleframe redesigns. In it they covered all the advanced battleframes and how they are changing!

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXJNvt6Ud8s
Recap: http://www.firefall.com/news/firefall-live-recap-july-17th-2015

Highlights:
  • Advanced frames start out with 1 ability at level 20. Every 5 levels they unlock a new ability.
  • PvP is being balanced separately and will be talked about at a later date.
  • Arsenal is not included in these changes. More info at a later date.
  • Red 5 is aiming for a new PTS patch on Tuesday with all of these changes.

Dragonfly:
  • Primary has 2 modes: offensive and defensive. Defensive is basically a TF2 medgun that runs off jumpjet energy.
  • Emergency Response teleports you to the ally under your reticle through all terrain to do an AoE heal.

Bastion:
  • Grenade launcher now shoots proximity grenades and the alt-fire shoots repair mines. You create a network of repair nodes for your deployables.

Raptor:
  • Raptor teleport beacon creates an arcfold that anybody can use.

Electron:
  • Electron had changes, but no video. :(
  • Also less worked on than others at this point.

Mammoth:
  • Mammoth is now a tank. Abilities are focused on diverting damage from teammates to the Mammoth, pulling aggro from enemies, and shielding himself.
  • Mammoth gun got a huge change. Primary fire bullets stick to the target and reduce movement speed. Alt-fire detonates all attached rounds causing AoE damage, lowering enemy damage output, and generating aggro towards the Mammoth.

Rhino:
  • Rhino also changed. Now focused on close range combat. Primary fire is like the old secondary (beam!) Alt-fire makes a shield that, when breaks, does massive AoE damage.
  • Rhino is high risk, high reward. You get in close range, and everything will die. No video of it. :(

Tigerclaw:
  • Tigerclaw had big changes. Alt-fire changed to be less sucky. Devs really like how the new Tigerclaw plays and it is a very popular battleframe internally.
  • Tigerclaw missile shot gone, missile barrage added. You hover in the air and release a ton of missiles, like the Arsenal HKM.

Firecat:
  • Firecat has a flamethrower. Rhonyn, this one is for you, buddy, wherever you may be. :flame: :cheers:
  • Firecat is all fire. All of it.

Nighthawk:
  • Nighthawk stayed the same mostly. Can OHK many enemies.
  • Nighthawk Remote Explosives -> Remote Flashbang. Now also stuns.

Recluse:
  • Recluse is mostly the same too.
  • Poison Trail changed to be something you launch forward and it leaves the trail behind as it goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Nalin posted:

Dragonfly:
  • Primary has 2 modes: offensive and defensive. Defensive is basically a TF2 medgun that runs off jumpjet energy.
  • Emergency Response teleports you to the ally under your reticle through all terrain to do an AoE heal.
Aw, no more leafblower? Leafblowing was like the best thing about this game.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
Tigerclaw changes sound pretty nice. The primary fire projectile can now do crit damage on headshots/etc. The alt-fire nova is faster, more powerful, and with a larger damage radius but now sticks instead of detonating on impact and you detonate it by firing another shot at it. You can detonate it mid-air or if you stick an enemy and then crit the enemy then the nova will also do crit damage.

Sounds like a lot of fun.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
I honestly don't know how to feel about this, some of them sound really good, some really horrible.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Fina posted:

Tigerclaw changes sound pretty nice. The primary fire projectile can now do crit damage on headshots/etc. The alt-fire nova is faster, more powerful, and with a larger damage radius but now sticks instead of detonating on impact and you detonate it by firing another shot at it. You can detonate it mid-air or if you stick an enemy and then crit the enemy then the nova will also do crit damage.

Sounds like a lot of fun.

Primary fire can already crit on headshots. :ssh:

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
Really? I never noticed that ever.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

How long after these awesome sounding PTS changes can we expect them to go live?
I am considering getting back in on the game and am curious to know how long it could be.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

DarkDobe posted:

How long after these awesome sounding PTS changes can we expect them to go live?
I am considering getting back in on the game and am curious to know how long it could be.

Probably a couple months. I would be end of year.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
:siren: PTS patch online! :siren:

Notes: http://forums.firefall.com/community/threads/pts-patch-v1298.6695421/
Download: http://forums.firefall.com/community/threads/how-to-download-and-access-the-pts-server.6353721/

The PTS goes up to level 30. Red 5 would like you to fill out a survey after reaching level 20 and again after reaching level 30.

List of major changes in this PTS:
  • Completely re-worked Battleframes (excluding Arsenal).
  • New battleframe equipment system (more item slots, brawling and grenade weapons, etc).
  • New core missions up to level 30.
  • Normal, challenge (level +3), and hardcore difficulties on missions.
  • Holdout: Jericho. A 5-player Horde-mode instance that rewards crystite, XP, and modules.
  • Removal of Job Boards. NPCs now give quests directly.
  • New LFG system. Good bye Boing LFG, there is now a decent in-game system. Still a WIP.

Absent is the new crafting system, which is still being worked on. Also, PvP is not yet in the game (probably).

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
How do they keep getting money to keep reworking this game from scratch? Also wasn't PvP going to be the main feature of this game before it was released?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Mercury_Storm posted:

How do they keep getting money to keep reworking this game from scratch? Also wasn't PvP going to be the main feature of this game before it was released?

China money. Also they are re-working the game again because China.

And yes, Firefall started out as PvP, but it has slowly become eclipsed by PvE over the years because that is what makes them money. Now PvP is pretty much non-existent, but that will change as Arena PvP is supposedly going to come back in a big way.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I'm actually happy to hear that. Firefall seemed like it had the guts of a seriously fun game but lost me at the endgame. Hopefully Recluse is still stupidly fun but I can't imagine that something like Rhino isn't going to end up on top when all is said and done.

Mr Fahrenheit
Dec 10, 2010

Travelin' at the speed of light.
I'm glad this game is hanging on; it was never solidly in the dumpster in its many iterations, and I've always been a sucker for games with jetpacks :unsmith:

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Epic High Five posted:

I'm actually happy to hear that. Firefall seemed like it had the guts of a seriously fun game but lost me at the endgame. Hopefully Recluse is still stupidly fun but I can't imagine that something like Rhino isn't going to end up on top when all is said and done.

Recluse was stupidly fun and great in every way, so they pretty much left it as-is. The only thing they really did was remove the terrible Kinetic Shot ability and replace it with a new Poison Trail that shoots a line of bees at the enemy, leaving the poison trail as it flies.

---

They actually changed the Assault weapon. Instead of the shotgun secondary, it now has a mortar secondary. It's like the Dreadnaught HKM (Accord Mortar Launcher) in that you get a nice little mortar reticle when you switch to it. Assaults also don't reload anymore. You can just unleash a steady stream of plasma shots until you run out of ammo (240 rounds). Assault is waaaay more fun, which I didn't think could be possible.

Also, they seem to have changed the story a bit again. The Chosen now have an actual objective other than "destroy all humans!" The Chosen are after the arclight plans because they want to permanently open a doorway to the Melding universe. There is also some drama about Serkan still being alive (even though he was turned into goo by Typhon and dissected by Accord scientists). It's a better way of introducing the plot concept of the Chosen being able to be reborn when killed.

I haven't made it to level 30 yet so I can't talk about the Tigerclaw yet. One thing I noticed is that Red 5 basically broke every addon by removing a widely used library file. I've made fixes for Goon Transit that I've now pushed, but many other important addons like Cartographer and xLootTracker are broken.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
Guess I'll update the PTS and see if Ding Squirrel still works.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

Inimicul posted:

Guess I'll update the PTS and see if Ding Squirrel still works.

The most important mod

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Kinetic Shot had one use and one use only, but it was funny as hell.

A well-aimed shot at (above, really) someone's head from across the map could take off most of their health and leave them utterly confused as to what hit them

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

Nalin posted:

China money. Also they are re-working the game again because China.

And yes, Firefall started out as PvP, but it has slowly become eclipsed by PvE over the years because that is what makes them money. Now PvP is pretty much non-existent, but that will change as Arena PvP is supposedly going to come back in a big way.

I'm dying for you all to see the new PvP. Playing internally has been literally the most fun I've had at work in a decade.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Well no offense but I'll wait for the no more revamps thing to actually stick before I get invested again.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
Holy cow, just finished watching the FFL and the Firecat changes look amazing. It's like half of the old Firecat was removed and replaced with the things he submitted for the Salamander. I'm downloading PTS update now and going straight for that one.

Edit: Ding Squirrel confirmed working.

Inimicul fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jul 22, 2015

Monowhatever
Mar 19, 2010

are there any signs of the game taking up a really grindy game style due to the china money? I would really love to see the game become something great but I can't say im not a little worried about it becoming grindy

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Monowhatever posted:

are there any signs of the game taking up a really grindy game style due to the china money? I would really love to see the game become something great but I can't say im not a little worried about it becoming grindy

That's more of a Korean thing. I'm not sure there's one "type" of gamer that predominates in a country as gigantic as China, plus considering you're looking at an introduction of a game type that has only been done once in China (Planetside 2, MMOFPS) to mixed results, and complicated by the fact that this is more PvE and that is all PvP and man, who even knows

Recently the Korean server was shut down for Planetside 2 and they joined the US servers, and even there it's become clear there's a large subset of gamers who do NOT want to spend all day grinding. Hopefully R5 decides there's market enough to go for the guns and guts of western gaming over the grinding of stereotypical Asian gaming

fake edit - that said I could thump as a Recluse all day and if it goes grindy Thumping is going to get a big buff in rewards so I'm happy either way.

Nalin posted:

Recluse was stupidly fun and great in every way, so they pretty much left it as-is. The only thing they really did was remove the terrible Kinetic Shot ability and replace it with a new Poison Trail that shoots a line of bees at the enemy, leaving the poison trail as it flies.

---

They actually changed the Assault weapon. Instead of the shotgun secondary, it now has a mortar secondary. It's like the Dreadnaught HKM (Accord Mortar Launcher) in that you get a nice little mortar reticle when you switch to it. Assaults also don't reload anymore. You can just unleash a steady stream of plasma shots until you run out of ammo (240 rounds). Assault is waaaay more fun, which I didn't think could be possible.

Also, they seem to have changed the story a bit again. The Chosen now have an actual objective other than "destroy all humans!" The Chosen are after the arclight plans because they want to permanently open a doorway to the Melding universe. There is also some drama about Serkan still being alive (even though he was turned into goo by Typhon and dissected by Accord scientists). It's a better way of introducing the plot concept of the Chosen being able to be reborn when killed.

I haven't made it to level 30 yet so I can't talk about the Tigerclaw yet. One thing I noticed is that Red 5 basically broke every addon by removing a widely used library file. I've made fixes for Goon Transit that I've now pushed, but many other important addons like Cartographer and xLootTracker are broken.

Hold on Nalin let me fix this for you

quote:

Assaults also don't reload anymore. :boom::chanpop::siren:You can just unleash a steady stream of plasma shots until you run out of ammo (240 rounds).:siren::chanpop::boom: Assault is waaaay more fun, which I didn't think could be possible.

this also opens up the possibility of allowing the reload keybind to serve a new function on Assault, like switching ammo types HINT HINT

Sooooo, Recluse for Thumping and all-AOE bosses and Assault for literally everything else. Got it

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
I'm actually a little sad that Plasma is losing the shotgun alt-fire, it was so absurdly powerful and satisfying to just drop down right in front of something and shotgun it in the face.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
The new alt fire is even better. It's the buffed aoe fire.

Also, it took me 15 minutes to go from level 1 to 10. Possible xp bonus on PTS but seems tuned to fit the new player experience.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Ville Valo posted:

I'm dying for you all to see the new PvP. Playing internally has been literally the most fun I've had at work in a decade.

Yeah. I made a big :effortless: post about PvP a while ago right here and was pleased to learn that many of my ideas matched what TheMuffinMan was doing. I even tried to push my idea of Battleframe skin rewards, and he even said he would push for it (although I really doubt that would ever happen). Hearing that you find it really fun gets my hopes up.

---

Also, I created a GOONS2 army on the PTS. Just apply and I'll accept you. Note that it is NOT GOONS. There is a 2 after the end. Blame Red5 for never, ever bothering to wipe the PTS armies.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
http://forums.firefall.com/community/threads/can-we-have-a-pts-army-wipe.6699521/

Mika says it was just done yesterday. I'll hop in when I get back home. So far the PTS has been loads of fun. It's nice to see Copa really busy again, even if half of it is NPCs. It seems a lot better than two AFK dudes and 5 NPCs like on live.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Inimicul posted:

http://forums.firefall.com/community/threads/can-we-have-a-pts-army-wipe.6699521/

Mika says it was just done yesterday. I'll hop in when I get back home. So far the PTS has been loads of fun. It's nice to see Copa really busy again, even if half of it is NPCs. It seems a lot better than two AFK dudes and 5 NPCs like on live.

Haha, so that's why GOONS2 was gone when I logged in today. I've made GOONS on the PTS. I'm Nalin on the PTS so whisper me or send me an in-game mail and I'll invite whoever to the army. Once we get 3 people in it the army should show up in the list.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
Thunder bumping is alive and well with the new LGV changes. Walk up to a wall and activate LGV. Turn into a meteor.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Inimicul posted:

Thunder bumping is alive and well with the new LGV changes. Walk up to a wall and activate LGV. Turn into a meteor.

It will live forever.

Combat looks fun but no way am I downloading the PTS right now.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
The PTS it's super laggy and broken. I alternate between hating and loving the poo poo out of the combat changes. At one point I stopped and thought this feels a lot like pre release. There are a ton of people running around making GBS threads up zone chat because it's the only new content in almost a year.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Would you say it's so bad it gave you public test server disorder?

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!

Morglon posted:

Would you say it's so bad it gave you public test server disorder?

:frogbon: The more I play it, the more I like it. 1-10 happens so fast I almost got whiplash but it slows down pretty fast the closer you get to 20. I was salvaging gear I got in one mission and then outleveled and upgraded the very next. Once things started to slow down a bit and you can fiddle with your build more without worrying about it being outdated within the hour.

Edit: Holy poo poo. I'm in the battle lab trying out the firecat and the tigerclaw. The TC is either horribly bugged or the most OP frame on the planet right now. Primary fire doing 2k damage stock with a massive AOE or the alt fire doing the UT Shock Rifle combo for a radius so large and so much damage the bots don't even show damage numbers as they explode.

Still, I set out to test FC so that's what I'll do.

Inimicul fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jul 25, 2015

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!

So in the Operation Hightide mission, there are several hidden easter eggs like this one where you surf around the bay on a jet surfboard. It even plays the Rupert Holmes song Escape while you're surfing around. Shorts match warframe paint.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfWVn0GF48Q

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Applying to Goon Squad. Figured I might try and get back into the game. Ambercrack in game.

There any way to change your name on there?
Nevermind, found it. Red beans. Great.

Fantastic Alice fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jul 26, 2015

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008
Just posting here for verification when I go to join Goon Squad. IGN is SACathair.

I've already played up to about level 13 on the PTS, I like it so I thought I'd jump in on live. The tipping point was me asking in chat if there were any bikes that didn't handle like boats, and being told that pretty much all the ones on the live servers are much better. Remains to be seen whether they were bullshitting or not, but the game's fun either way.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Cathair posted:

Just posting here for verification when I go to join Goon Squad. IGN is SACathair.

I've already played up to about level 13 on the PTS, I like it so I thought I'd jump in on live. The tipping point was me asking in chat if there were any bikes that didn't handle like boats, and being told that pretty much all the ones on the live servers are much better. Remains to be seen whether they were bullshitting or not, but the game's fun either way.

The P-1 is pretty bad, but it is the starter LGV. The next one up is a lot better. And obviously the red bean bikes are the best. You can buy them for about 22k credits on the marketplace, which works out to 22 days worth of BWA runs at 1 hour or less per day (there is a daily crystite conversion limit of 25,000 cy to 1000 credits).

Anyway, I've added you to the army.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

Nalin posted:

The P-1 is pretty bad, but it is the starter LGV. The next one up is a lot better. And obviously the red bean bikes are the best. You can buy them for about 22k credits on the marketplace, which works out to 22 days worth of BWA runs at 1 hour or less per day (there is a daily crystite conversion limit of 25,000 cy to 1000 credits).

Anyway, I've added you to the army.

Thanks, for the add and the advice.

Progress has been painfully slow on the live servers compared to the PTS, and some parts of the gunplay feel... less refined, I guess, but oddly the overall movement feels better. The base speed of my jumpjets feels better to start with, like the interplay between directionality and momentum is better tuned. Also, the midair forward sprint seems more powerful; I was just thinking earlier on the PTS how it's mostly useless there, due to draining my jet energy far too quickly compared to the boost it provides. I'm guessing the intention behind the PTS starting you off with worse jets is because you're supposed to compensate for it with gear that provides jet bonuses.

Can never have too much jumpjets.

On the subject of daily grind, I've played Warframe for years (still do, waiting on our new parkour update to drop in the next day or two), so I'm no stranger to the strategy of casually mashing out a little bit of progress each day until one eventually accretes enough stuff to do whatever you want. It's not my favorite kind of game design, but it's acceptable to me if the basic gameplay loop is fun.

This game has a lot of interesting things going for it, and even if I get bored of it I think I'll be keeping an eye on what they do with it in the future. Looking forward to the PTS stuff being hammered out into a more complete state and brought to live.

Cathair fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Jul 28, 2015

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Cathair posted:

On the subject of daily grind, I've played Warframe for years (still do, waiting on our new parkour update to drop in the next day or two), so I'm no stranger to the strategy of casually mashing out a little bit of progress each day until one eventually accretes enough stuff to do whatever you want. It's not my favorite kind of game design, but it's acceptable to me if the basic gameplay loop is fun.

This game has a lot of interesting things going for it, and even if I get bored of it I think I'll be keeping an eye on what they do with it in the future. Looking forward to the PTS stuff being hammered out into a more complete state and brought to live.

The grind wouldn't be as bad if you had joined a year ago. By now the population has dwindled so the LGV prices on the market have gone from about 11k to 22k. Actually, hold on. I remembered that you can buy red beans with credits on the marketplace. The going rate of red beans is currently 109 credits and the cheapest LGV on the red bean marketplace is 175 beans, which works out to 19075 credits. So about 19 days of gameplay, which is a little better.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!

Firecat is pretty fun. Spraying fire everywhere like it's a fire hose is pretty rewarding. I'd be happy to give a trip report for anyone who's interesting but I'm starting to get curious about the other frames. I can't decide what to try next though. I'll put it up for a vote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

Inimicul posted:

Firecat is pretty fun. Spraying fire everywhere like it's a fire hose is pretty rewarding. I'd be happy to give a trip report for anyone who's interesting but I'm starting to get curious about the other frames. I can't decide what to try next though. I'll put it up for a vote.

Any improvements to sniping?

• Locked thread