Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Thanks for posting that link to the watchmen motion comics. I think I finally get the pirate interludes. Or maybe not. I forget how the pirate story ends, but if I am remembering it correctly, the shipwrecked guy is veidt?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Krinkle posted:

Thanks for posting that link to the watchmen motion comics. I think I finally get the pirate interludes. Or maybe not. I forget how the pirate story ends, but if I am remembering it correctly, the shipwrecked guy is veidt?

Yes, it is the story of a guy trying to warn of a great danger but doesn't realize until too late that he is the danger.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
So I watched Splice recently, that stupid Watch With No Science Brain On kinda movie, and while huge parts were annoying, the biggest was the first three minutes. ALL loving CREDITS AND STUPID loving BIOLOGY SCANS OF poo poo with creepy music. Three loving minutes of directors and producers and all kinds of annoying poo poo! Show me the goddamn freaking human monster thing, I don't give a poo poo who the fourth assistant producer was!

Also, after Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum the scientists decide to keep the goddamn monster alive, how did they keep it secret for so long? Wouldn't someone have noticed on drat security tags or cameras these two morons are always in the artificial uterus lab and spending a lot of time there? poo poo, my job just involves moving paper and files and we have little keycards to let us in and out of certain areas, and bet your rear end someone will check up if you visit the bathroom once every hour or stay there for four hours on end.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

muscles like this? posted:

Yes, it is the story of a guy trying to warn of a great danger but doesn't realize until too late that he is the danger.

Haha look at this foreshadowing. What a dummy I was ten years ago.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning
Fun fact. In The Watchmen extended cut with the Black Freighter stuff, the survivor wraps a body in a sail, the blood stain on the sail is the same blood pattern left in the snow by Rorschach after Dr Manhatten does his thing at the end.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Pwnstar posted:

Crystal Skull worked as a tribute to 50s pulp sci-fi by having a cool premise that was let down by poor, idiotic and bizarre creative choices.

It would've been much more fitting of a tribute if almost all the movie was people talking in a cheesy laboratory set and nothing really happens until the end.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Krinkle posted:

Haha look at this foreshadowing. What a dummy I was ten years ago.

:psyboom: I never noticed that

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I never liked how Indy helped he bad guys the whole way through. At the beginning they're in the secret warehouse and he's using the magnetic field to lead them exactly where they want to go. I was sure he was going to trick them into opening the ark again or use some other awesome thing they had in there.

He does it again later in the Nazi camp. Every time they ask him for information he happily gives them directions or draws them a map.

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

Dr_Amazing posted:

I never liked how Indy helped he bad guys the whole way through. At the beginning they're in the secret warehouse and he's using the magnetic field to lead them exactly where they want to go. I was sure he was going to trick them into opening the ark again or use some other awesome thing they had in there.

He does it again later in the Nazi camp. Every time they ask him for information he happily gives them directions or draws them a map.

Isn't this consistent with his character? He's a good guy, and a genius, but he can't stop himself from archaeologing the poo poo out of riddles.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I just really hate the "ancient aliens gave us all the basics of civilization!" trope (or cliche, or whatever).

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Byzantine posted:

I just really hate the "ancient aliens gave us all the basics of civilization!" trope (or cliche, or whatever).

I think you mean real, true fact. :colbert:

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Grendels Dad posted:

If I see a man climb out of a car that just fell down the Grand Canyon I might frown a little.

This reminds me of one scene in Terminator Salvation. The guy falls out of a helecopter going at its max speed and smashes into a river, cartwheeling and basically getting blendered by physics. He gets up and walks away from this.

Then he has the audacity to be completely surprised that he turns out to be a Terminator.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop
It's me. I'm the guy who thought Crystal Skull was a pretty decent movie. AMA.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

Are you a computer AI designed to say random words in random order and just happened to have said something that has all the grammatically correct appearance of a sentence said by a thinking breathing sentient being but is actually just so much monkey poo poo flung at typewriters nonsense?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

The only decent thing about Indy 4 was having Karen Allen reprise her role as Marion, even though Lucas and Spielberg had her getting hosed as a child off screen in Raiders.

Romantic.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Krinkle posted:

Are you a computer AI designed to say random words in random order and just happened to have said something that has all the grammatically correct appearance of a sentence said by a thinking breathing sentient being but is actually just so much monkey poo poo flung at typewriters nonsense?

Nah, I just was able to overlook the ridiculous poo poo in it the way that I could overlook the ridiculous poo poo in the earlier films.

RichardA
Sep 1, 2006
Dinosaur Gum

Your Gay Uncle posted:

The thing that bugged me about the fridge is that once it's closed and the seal is formed not only can you not open it from the inside but you'd also suffocate to death in about 2 minutes.

Being unable to open a fridge from the inside relates to very old style fridges with mechanical locks - any modern fridge requires the exact amount of force to open from the inside as from outside.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Byzantine posted:

I'm not saying it is aliens... but it's aliens.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

RichardA posted:

Being unable to open a fridge from the inside relates to very old style fridges with mechanical locks - any modern fridge requires the exact amount of force to open from the inside as from outside.

Too bad the movie takes place 60 years ago.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

syscall girl posted:

even though Lucas and Spielberg had her getting hosed as a child off screen in Raiders.
Wait, what?! Nazis and pedophilia?!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Dr_Amazing posted:

Too bad the movie takes place 60 years ago.

It's still nothing to do with a seal being formed though, it's just a latch.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Wait, what?! Nazis and pedophilia?!

In her tavern she says,
"I was only a child!"
"You knew what you were doing."

Groooooossss but there is no way she meant a literal child. She was just young and naive but Indy is not a pedophile.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
15 I think. Lucas wanted to make her like 12 though. Igh.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

And Indy is 10 years older than her, though I would guess a concrete birthdate for him came from later material and that wasn't what they were thinking during Raiders' production because I can't imagine they intended that.

15 was below the age of consent even in the 20s in most states.

Aphrodite has a new favorite as of 17:52 on Jul 22, 2015

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

15 I think. Lucas wanted to make her like 12 though. Igh.

I've heard this a few times, with the added thing being that Spielberg basically said "What the gently caress?" and shot it down, is it just an urban legend or there some account of the whole making of the movie that lists that?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

According to the wikipedia article on Marion the relationship "at 15 or 16" was even Karen Allen's idea, and the novelization set her age at the time at 15. No mention of Lucas' alleged idea, but I've heard that before as well.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
http://thehathorlegacy.com/open-thread-george-lucas-on-marion-ravenwood/

That's where I first read it at.

VoteTedJameson
Jan 10, 2014

And stack the four!
OK stop me if this has been said in the thread before, but it bugs me whenever a movie portrays zombies as hungry specifically for brains, rather than just normal flesh. (Do movies do that anymore? Or has it been relegated to the godawful, stale LOLZOMBIES pop culture moment?) Unless the zombies are also portrayed as supernaturally strong, or smart enough to use tools they're NEVER getting brains- human teeth can't bite through a cranium! Never gonna happen.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

VoteTedJameson posted:

OK stop me if this has been said in the thread before, but it bugs me whenever a movie portrays zombies as hungry specifically for brains, rather than just normal flesh. (Do movies do that anymore? Or has it been relegated to the godawful, stale LOLZOMBIES pop culture moment?) Unless the zombies are also portrayed as supernaturally strong, or smart enough to use tools they're NEVER getting brains- human teeth can't bite through a cranium! Never gonna happen.

They'd know that if they had brains, silly.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

VoteTedJameson posted:

That began with the 1980s movie Return of the Living Dead. I don't care for it, either.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

VoteTedJameson posted:

There's a lot of different takes on zombies and most of them are kinda dumb, yeah. I prefer the virus that makes people mindlessly violent and they just happen to consume flesh sometimes. But hey whatever rocks your zombie boat.

You don't see it much anymore but back in the old exploitation days zombies came from voodoo magic, there's a lot of possible origins.

I'm gonna say as an exception though, not exactly the same thing but Emperor Zombie from Screw-on-head would smoke people in order to gain their knowledge, and that's cool as gently caress even if it doesn't make any drat sense.

https://youtu.be/XbsDvGtTRWU?t=8m8s

Also its not strictly a 'zombie' but the gravemind from Halo had the collective knowledge of all the flood-zombies, so its kinda like he was eating their brains to gain their knowledge. I think that's a kinda cool idea.

But for general shambling stupid zombies, yeah. There's no reason they'd prefer brain matter.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Aleph Null posted:

That began with the 1980s movie Return of the Living Dead. I don't care for it, either.

And even there it was very specific: being a zombie hurts, eating brains somehow makes it hurt less.

If I recall correctly anyway.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Warm Bodies actually had an explanation for zombies liking brains. Eating brains, to a zombie, is delicious. It also gives the zombie, for a short time, some of the memories and associated emotions inside the brain (not that they can really act on it much, since they're still a stiff, incoherent lurching zombie). So it's sort of like a drug to them to make them briefly remember what being human is like.

Mousepractice
Jan 30, 2005

A pint of plain is your only man

Aleph Null posted:

ROTLD is overtly a comedy, it's pretty strange that later films have taken the idea seriously.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Trent posted:

That is just really not true.

Subtext maybe is the point of some movies, or possibly of good movies, but it is not generally the point of movies

I mean establishing your personal view of the art is the point of movies

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I don't actually remember the last movie that had zombies specifically desire brains, rather than just bite and tear their victims apart.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

bewilderment posted:

Warm Bodies actually had an explanation for zombies liking brains. Eating brains, to a zombie, is delicious. It also gives the zombie, for a short time, some of the memories and associated emotions inside the brain (not that they can really act on it much, since they're still a stiff, incoherent lurching zombie). So it's sort of like a drug to them to make them briefly remember what being human is like.

So it gives them the capacity to realise how awful what they just did was? Alarming

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Aleph Null posted:

Return of the Living Dead is also a legitimately awesome movie, the sequels not so much.

Degenerate Star
Oct 27, 2005
unlikely

QUACKTASTIC posted:

Return of the Living Dead is also a legitimately awesome movie, the sequels not so much.

"Please, if you really loved me, you'd let me eat your brains."
"O-okay..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop
Are there really that many zombie movies where they actively seek out brains? I know it's a common cultural thing, but I don't think that I've ever actually seen a movie where they do that.