Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Pyromancer posted:

Province numbers changed since the comment was added, and now it's Mogostan instead of Hormoz.
Actually Mogostan is what used to be Hormoz, new Hormoz was created on an island there, but it's not the place achievement checks for.

Aw gently caress.

Okay, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
So I think I'm going to go for A Sun God (own all of South America as Inca) next since I haven't played in the Americas in absolutely forever. Any general advice/tips/things to absolutely do/avoid doing? I've been reading up on the wiki about how the authority and religious reforms system works and think I get it, but would love to know if there's anything non-obvious about either system that I should keep an eye out for.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

does EVE change how the reformation work or just Dei Gratia? I'm testing my merge of it and Dei Gratia and there's no hint of a reformation and it's 1516 and reform desire is at 108%. Also in both games I've played England has been utterly destroyed by Scotland

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

PrinceRandom posted:

does EVE change how the reformation work or just Dei Gratia? I'm testing my merge of it and Dei Gratia and there's no hint of a reformation and it's 1516 and reform desire is at 108%. Also in both games I've played England has been utterly destroyed by Scotland
Downloading this mod/these mods ASAP.

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED

Bort Bortles posted:

In my last two games of vanilla EU4 on the current beta patch Scotland formed GB in one and in the other it ate all of England except for one province then something happened and now England beat them back up to the highlands.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.

VDay posted:

So I think I'm going to go for A Sun God (own all of South America as Inca) next since I haven't played in the Americas in absolutely forever. Any general advice/tips/things to absolutely do/avoid doing? I've been reading up on the wiki about how the authority and religious reforms system works and think I get it, but would love to know if there's anything non-obvious about either system that I should keep an eye out for.

I did this in 1.11 and you want to gobble up everyone else as quickly as possible to push up authority so you can reform/westernize as soon as you get a core next to someone. The safe but slow route is to use the reform colonist to move up through to Columbia and try and meet GB or France but sometimes they don't get there till really late. Or you can go towards Brazil but if Castile and Portugal don't have anything better to do you will get attacked before your colony completes and then you have a problem of playing catch up as they repeatedly war you and take land.

Don't colonize coastal provinces until westernized and caught up with Military Tech. Double Don't colonize the La Plata CoT/Estuaries or you will get declared on even if they haven't started colonizing the area.

And watch your manpower all that warring plus the rebels created by reforming ruined one of my runs.

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

VDay posted:

Reforming as inca is really annoying and not fun thanks to rebels in mountain provinces but it's bearable. The only thing you need to watch out for is the incan civil war that is triggered shortly after the first smallpox events. Just don't reform after getting your first smallpox event until it blows over (guess what I did :v:).

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Bort Bortles posted:

I've been running some test games in observe mode for the mod I'm making, and in my most recent game I figured it was just the usual Great Britain I was seeing at the end of the game. But no, Scotland had somehow managed to unite Great Britain. Don't think I've ever seen that before.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I've been running some test games in observe mode for the mod I'm making, and in my most recent game I figured it was just the usual Great Britain I was seeing at the end of the game. But no, Scotland had somehow managed to unite Great Britain. Don't think I've ever seen that before.
What color is Scottish Great Britain?

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bort Bortles posted:

What color is Scottish Great Britain?

It is the same tag, and so the same color.

Unless you're using a mod to add a separate tag specifically for that.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

GSD posted:

It is the same tag, and so the same color.

Unless you're using a mod to add a separate tag specifically for that.
I thought so. Would be neat if it did the flag and colors different depending on who forms the tag.

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

Bort Bortles posted:

I thought so. Would be neat if it did the flag and colors different depending on who forms the tag.

Oh, the flag is different. When Scotland forms GB, the St. Andrew's Cross is in front of the Cross of St. George instead of vice-versa.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

NEED TOILET PAPER posted:

Oh, the flag is different. When Scotland forms GB, the St. Andrew's Cross is in front of the Cross of St. George instead of vice-versa.
Well poo poo. Learn something new every day!

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

NEED TOILET PAPER posted:

Bort Bortles posted:

Well poo poo. Learn something new every day!

EU4 does not presently allow multiple flags for the same tag (the Revolution aside), so it actually doesn't :v:.

Again, unless you're using a mod that specifically adds a Scottish Union or whatever.

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

GSD posted:

EU4 does not presently allow multiple flags for the same tag (the Revolution aside), so it actually doesn't :v:.

Again, unless you're using a mod that specifically adds a Scottish Union or whatever.

Crap, I just assumed that the devs kept that thing as a holdover from EU3, since it seemed like a pretty nice touch.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Bort Bortles posted:

Yeah, the only reason I realized something was up was because I looked at the culture map and saw that Wales was Scottish, not English. Would be neat if you could define flags/colors by primary culture.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

It's dei gratia. thanks to a latish reformation i got to enact the reform that gives the religious peace edict before any leagues formed.

Austrian Diplomacy saves the world.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Since I've been on a bit of a "trying out random countries" kick lately, here's one: Mutapa. Yes, otherwise known as that stupid pagan country that gives you all the money. They recently got a pretty good NI set; it's mostly front loaded with 10% increased goods produced and inflation reduction as the traditions, 5% discipline as the first unlock and everything else is fairly underwhelming but solid economy boosts.

Anyway your strategy is pretty simple; destroy your enemies with your awesome starting monarch-general (whose stats suck so you don't care if he dies) and crush them under mountains of gold and mercenaries. Then leverage your huge gold reserves to get an unreasonably fast start on the colonial game for a country starting in Africa. You can easily become Sunni by just vassaling Kilwa and feeding them provinces up the coast, diplo annexing, and then trying to convert a province; if you're over 50% Sunni provinces (which you should be) then you can accept rebel demands to instantly flip for very little cost. High trade income should make it possible to keep your inflation under control and after you annex Kilwa your income before expenses should be in the 20+ region.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
Managed to get Luck of the Irish last night during a fuckoff coalition war. The war must have lasted around a decade and I had to claw my way back from being -30 from battles thanks to my allies/subjects, and I never got the ticking warscore. Still got enough to kick France out of America, so eat poo poo France.

The achievement wasn't that hard with the exodus strat, I could have made my move earlier but I waited until the 1700s since Scotland was basically untouched by England the entire game - they actually pushed the borders south by a couple of provinces.

I buggered up the start by focussing admin early because I was worried I wouldn't get to admin 5 easily enough, which made me about 5 years late on getting to Dip 7. Start was super tense with England trying to diplo vassalise me, going hostile and breaking the alliance then deciding they liked me again. Scored subsidies and some gifts out of them.

Still Tyrone because some people were saying they weren't getting achievements after forming a country, so I didn't want to take the risk. It's not a good screenshot, I forgot when my cores were due :v:

e: Ireland is such a disappointing green

Gitro fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jul 22, 2015

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Gitro posted:

Managed to get Luck of the Irish last night during a fuckoff coalition war. The war must have lasted around a decade and I had to claw my way back from being -30 from battles thanks to my allies/subjects, and I never got the ticking warscore. Still got enough to kick France out of America, so eat poo poo France.

The achievement wasn't that hard with the exodus strat, I could have made my move earlier but I waited until the 1700s since Scotland was basically untouched by England the entire game - they actually pushed the borders south by a couple of provinces.

I buggered up the start by focussing admin early because I was worried I wouldn't get to admin 5 easily enough, which made me about 5 years late on getting to Dip 7. Start was super tense with England trying to diplo vassalise me, going hostile and breaking the alliance then deciding they liked me again. Scored subsidies and some gifts out of them.

Still Tyrone because some people were saying they weren't getting achievements after forming a country, so I didn't want to take the risk. It's not a good screenshot, I forgot when my cores were due :v:

e: Ireland is such a disappointing green

It's a beta patch bug. Looking at all those mothballed forts, you're still on 1.12.

Contingency Plan
Nov 23, 2007

Right now I'm doing a Brandenburg->Prussia->Germany game in the 1.13 beta. Familiar territory for many players but I've never done it before and I'm going for the A Fine Goosestep and An Early Reich achievements. I'm Protestant and had joined the Catholic League (it's funny how these things work) and wasn't involved in the big HRE civil war because I was abusing Poland when it kicked off. You can imagine my surprise as onlooker when the Evangelical League won and as the strongest Protestant country I suddenly became Emperor. I was happy to let Austria and Bohemia trade the Emperorship between them until now.

Here's a screenshot of what the HRE's electoral politics look like:

(The Palatinate is the only other elector and they really don't like me)

My goal is to form Germany. I want to annex the Empire's territory, not defend it. Would I have have anything to gain by trying to be a good Emperor by naming more electors, converting heretic (Catholic) princes? Should I just ignore it? I do enjoy some of the perks of being the Emperor like the bonus manpower but on the whole I can live without it.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Knuc U Kinte posted:

It's a beta patch bug. Looking at all those mothballed forts, you're still on 1.12.

Nope, I just like money and don't care about army trad. Almost none of those are level 8 and I don't care enough to mass upgrade.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
Is Quantity Ideas as Russia overkill? :v:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

VDay posted:

"Don't play Common Sense"? :negative:

El Dorado was more or less the peak of American-minor fun and power.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
I really wish they'd raise development in meso/south America. Poor bastards were drat near crippled before common sense came out, they don't need another blow.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Does the Abolition of Slavery Act actually do anything to your slave trade goods? It seems like it ought to but the tooltip doesn't say anything about it.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

It changes them to ? trade goods, and then replaces them with random trade goods appropriate for the region.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Taberstan -> Persia is such a fun run, we all got so utterly crippled in my last war for the last cores that 5 years after forming Persia with the minimal cores I got most of the rest from rebels.

Abolition of slavery might be triggered by the even that gives the pope +1 stability and an event for everyone with a colonial nation for either + or - opinion.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I think my map is drunk.

All fear mighty Izca.

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

Absolutely. You'll be thin on manpower early in the game (you know, like with every nation) but by the mid-game you'll have so many provinces through conquest/colonization that you'll have a ton of manpower anyway. Grabbing offensive and just getting the +20% bonus from that is much better.

effsea
Apr 1, 2013
My near-perfect Ottomans Republic opening so far, after 10+ tries where I learned many things:

Is there a way to create a non-Ironman backup in case I ever want to play back this moment?

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

effsea posted:

My near-perfect Ottomans Republic opening so far, after 10+ tries where I learned many things:

Is there a way to create a non-Ironman backup in case I ever want to play back this moment?

Those borders... :stonk:

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
How exactly did you get there?

effsea
Apr 1, 2013

b0lt posted:

Those borders... :stonk:
I'm quite proud!

Tahirovic posted:

How exactly did you get there?
A combination of:
- Wanting Vienna by 1500 for the free Westernization ASAP,
- surgical land grabs to avoid AE-ing into a massive punitive war,
- needing 19 provinces at most to decision into a republic,
- and selling provinces in order of development to avoid too-strong vassals.

Losing big punitive wars, being too poor and weak to annex my vassals, and hitting "yes declare war" with a truce timer still on in my earlier attempts has taught me a lot!

Gitro
May 29, 2013

effsea posted:

Just copy/paste the save file from my documents/paradox interactive (I think). Doesn't even lose ironman status.

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

Imo if you can afford your full forcelimits you don't have enough. But seriously, if you want quantity get it last, even then you might be better with aristocracy. Defensive has -10% maintenance for cheaper mans, too, although you don't get to double dip like in quantity.

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

If you are going for a WC then I think it would be a decent choice.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Is there any estimate to how long you need to hold out to get the Peace of Westphalia event to fire? Wiki just says "a long time" and there's nothing in the event file that suggests a mean-time to fire.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Around 25 years I think. Based on it being a round number likely to be picked and recently happening to me in what seemed like that amount of time.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

Is there any estimate to how long you need to hold out to get the Peace of Westphalia event to fire? Wiki just says "a long time" and there's nothing in the event file that suggests a mean-time to fire.

Pretty sure the wiki said a white peace fires Westphalia as well, but I don't do hre stuff enough to have tested that.

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

You get the peace of westphalia when the league war ends without either side enforcing the religious superiority wargoal. If you mean the catholic auto-win if the protestants never start the war, that can fire after 30 years with a mtth of 5 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Gitro posted:

Pretty sure the wiki said a white peace fires Westphalia as well, but I don't do hre stuff enough to have tested that.

That'll be the case for any peace deal between league leaders that doesn't include that enforce imperial religion item for 50% warscore.

• Locked thread