Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Knowledge of the books doesn't make Yen look great either, it just confirms her as the "canon" choice. Both of them are pretty terrible to Geralt while clearly loving him. They're just all important people with poo poo to do and sometimes you hurt the ones you love for career reasons.

I wanted the game to let me choose Keira because she uses the phrase "If I've got me knickers on straight"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Yennefer never treats Geralt any worse in the books than he treats her. Nor does she ever betray Ciri. Or do anything to Geralt or Ciri for career reasons. That's all Triss.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The fist fights in this game are the most beyond poo poo garbage ever.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jul 22, 2015

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

NESguerilla posted:

Every one that occurs in Kaer Trolde sucks the most.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Still better than dice poker.

gently caress dice poker forever.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The story ones have been easy so far and you can pretty much just spam O until they punch, but I'm trying to do the Fists of Fury Novigrad and this whole thing is just infuriating. It starts out with the dude punching you before you can even target him, in the one fight I need to target because the camera is horrible in this part, then you can get stuck between him and the audience and he just wallops me while I'm stuck in the architecture, and the gently caress kills me in about 4 hits. It's seriously the cheapest bullshit.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

NESguerilla posted:

The story ones have been easy so far and you can pretty much just spam O until they punch, but I'm trying to do the Fists of Fury Novigrad and this whole thing is just infuriating. It starts out with the dude punching you before you can even target him, in the one fight I need to target because the camera is horrible in this part, then you can get stuck between him and the audience and he just wallops me while I'm stuck in the architecture, and the gently caress kills me in about 4 hits. It's seriously the cheapest bullshit.

I'm just here to tell you that it gets worse

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Spam the short dodge button while the fight is loading so he doesn't get a cheap shot in, then focus on just parrying his blows to get counter attacks in, instead of trying to go on the offensive.

Dodge-parry-counterattack-one-two-punch works on pretty much every single fist fight except for the last two because reasons.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

pik_d posted:

I'm just here to tell you that it gets worse

Yikes. Do you get any cool poo poo from doing them like the horse races? If not I'll skip them cause gently caress those missions.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
You should finish them because of a thing we can't tell you without ruining it.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

The Sharmat posted:

Seconded, it's worth it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

poo poo. Allright. Maybe I'll just level up a bunch and come back when I'm over leveled then.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

In misleading tooltip news, the "Griffin School Techniques" skill, aka the medium armor skill, says it raises stamina regeneration by 5% per piece of medium armor. In fact, it raises stamina regeneration by 5 per second per piece of medium armor. A huge difference because it makes it waaaay more valuable if you aren't stacking sign skills.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
my fistfight technique so far is to remain one short dodge length from my opponent. then hit the heavy attack. He either gets hit or blocks. After which I short dodge away and repeat until he ded. Sometimes I have to add a half second lag before I hit heavy attack.

don't know if this works later down the line but so far it has dominated. AI never seems to respond quickly enough after taking or blocking a strong attack. I either catch him blocking, standing unblocked, or just starting to swing by the time I wail on em.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I got a million time better at fist fights when I started holding the counter button for about half a second instead of just immediately releasing it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Pwnstar posted:

I got a million time better at fist fights when I started holding the counter button for about half a second instead of just immediately releasing it.

Wait, what does that do?

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

JetsGuy posted:

It's understandable, we don't hear them in enough variety. Similarly, Euros are equally bad at placing American accents.

Yeah no kidding. I can basically tell apart "Texas or something" and "not Texas or something" but that's it. :v:

I can't tell apart the British accents either though, except that I can tell dwarves are Scottish and that annoys me because it's such a dumb cliche. Should have given them any other accent imo.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Snak posted:

Wait, what does that do?

It lets you counter attack and stun them. This is explained in the tutorial at Kaer Morhen.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I'm really confused about where I am on the map.

I'm in the middle of the sea, right?

But I'm actually sailing on land??

The World Map looks nothing like the region maps! Where's the landmass to the West in the first screenshot on the world map?

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

The Sharmat posted:

It lets you counter attack and stun them. This is explained in the tutorial at Kaer Morhen.

That's not how it works. You need to hit the parry button while the enemy name is flashing, doesn't matter whether you just quickly hit it or hold it.
The only difference is that if you hold it and miss the window, you still block instead of getting punched in the face.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Ak Gara posted:

I'm really confused about where I am on the map.

I'm in the middle of the sea, right?

But I'm actually sailing on land??

The World Map looks nothing like the region maps! Where's the landmass to the West in the first screenshot on the world map?

:lost: Geralt style

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

jaete posted:

I can't tell apart the British accents either though, except that I can tell dwarves are Scottish and that annoys me because it's such a dumb cliche. Should have given them any other accent imo.

It's dumb but there's genuinely nothing more impressive to me voicework wise than the Scots accents the Dwarfs in this have. They actually speak Scottish - they don't just have the accent.
An example is that the dwarf you meet in White Orchard says that something "needs done" instead of "needs doing" which is extremely Scottish. They do a lot of it and it's just something you never normally see/hear.

It's also pretty great that they managed to make every single non-druid in Skellige Northern Irish. That's rare enough in itself.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
The only confusing thing to me is that Triss and all the witchers are American and like no one else is.

Whoa. Wife Turds
Jan 23, 2004

FELLOW GOONS: WHEN THIS POSTER OFFERS TO BRAID YOUR PUBES, SAY NO!!!

NESguerilla posted:

The Sharmat posted:

Spam the short dodge button while the fight is loading so he doesn't get a cheap shot in, then focus on just parrying his blows to get counter attacks in, instead of trying to go on the offensive.

Dodge-parry-counterattack-one-two-punch works on pretty much every single fist fight except for the last two because reasons.

I hated the fights once they started getting harder but the system is actually pretty great-- you just have to realize how many ways there are to clown dudes. Most guys (possibly everyone all the way through the Skellige champion, though maybe not the champion of Novigrad), once you've established some space will lumber at you with a long punch. I eventually stopped bothering with the counter window altogether and just started anticipating the punch and throwing two quick jabs and backing away. If you're careful you can rinse repeat this on every fight and never block or counter.

edit:

The Sharmat posted:

Ah, yes, well, not EVERY fight.

Whoa. Wife Turds fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Jul 22, 2015

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

NESguerilla posted:

Yikes. Do you get any cool poo poo from doing them like the horse races? If not I'll skip them cause gently caress those missions.

I think the only cool thing I got from the horse races was the Zerrikanian saddlebags which are nice because they bring your carry total to 160, 30 more than the rugged ones. I then found Zerrikanian saddlebags everywhere.

Like almost every race except that one race gave me garbage saddles worse than I had I felt.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

JetsGuy posted:

I think the only cool thing I got from the horse races was the Zerrikanian saddlebags which are nice because they bring your carry total to 160, 30 more than the rugged ones. I then found Zerrikanian saddlebags everywhere.

Like almost every race except that one race gave me garbage saddles worse than I had I felt.

I'm pretty sure I bought those bags from the second or third merchant I met in Velen.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
I got those saddlebags from the merchant in the Putrid Grove. They are pretty awesome.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Last night, I realized that the alternate control mode seems to make swimming easier too!!! Now, it looks like you can swim up or down by aiming the camera up or down. Previously, you had to hold buttons to "sink" or "surface," and Geralt would otherwise swim parallel to the ground no matter where you aimed the camera.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

So I'm playing on a pretty old GTX 470, but I'm chugging along alright at like 30 FPS on med/low settings. What I can say is that post-patch 1.07 the "low" textures actually look much nicer, I dunno how it has affected my FPS but it makes the game look better regardless.

Also I am really considering blowing like $500 on a new graphics card but I can't justify it just for this one game when everything else still runs on it... I really like this game

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

So I'm playing on a pretty old GTX 470, but I'm chugging along alright at like 30 FPS on med/low settings. What I can say is that post-patch 1.07 the "low" textures actually look much nicer, I dunno how it has affected my FPS but it makes the game look better regardless.

Also I am really considering blowing like $500 on a new graphics card but I can't justify it just for this one game when everything else still runs on it... I really like this game

Think of it as buying a shiny new fancy console for that one game that looks amazing and you need to have but isn't available on the PC.

You'll get that one game, and the ability to play every other one thereafter!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

If not this game....then what? It doesn't get better, stop waiting!

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Oh, didn't realize there's new DLC called "New finisher animations".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFETTPvBPtY
:black101: :gibs:

Whoa. Wife Turds
Jan 23, 2004

FELLOW GOONS: WHEN THIS POSTER OFFERS TO BRAID YOUR PUBES, SAY NO!!!

JetsGuy posted:

It's a real bummer that the race that Cleaver enters you into is the hardest race (and one time only at that) and as such gives you the most blinging saddle. Zerrikanian saddle you receive later is better but is a far less ornate version of the saddle you win in that race.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Meta-Mollusk posted:

I cut a man's face in half with this DLC :buddy:

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

JoshTheStampede posted:

The only confusing thing to me is that Triss and all the witchers are American and like no one else is.

They're all in Witcher 1 and they're using the same voices. That's the only explanation I can think of.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

I feel the same way, I bought a GTX 970 and the only game that it improves things noticeably is Witcher.

Totally justifiable when you consider the hours in this game though, and also how pretty it looks :p

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Meta-Mollusk posted:

I wonder if this replaces the finishing animations that were already in the game or if it just adds them to the existing ones.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Beeez posted:

I wonder if this replaces the finishing animations that were already in the game or if it just adds them to the existing ones.

I noticed Geralt doing one of the old ones in that video too, so I guess it just adds more of them.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Meta-Mollusk posted:

I noticed Geralt doing one of the old ones in that video too, so I guess it just adds more of them.

That's preferable. I've barely had a chance to see the old ones yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
I'd have to say the Novigrad fistfights were far more bullshit than the Skellige ones. Mostly because all the Novigrad fights were pretty tightly contained and camera issues+geometry+starting too close to the coming-out-swinging AI tended to gently caress you.

Skellige opponents were technically tougher, but because you actually had room to move they were more easily handled, except for that damned Ulle kicking my rear end!