Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpeedGem
Sep 19, 2012

by Ralp
At several points in the video of Bland's arrest, posted Tuesday to the department's YouTube channel, video of a person walking or a car driving by are cut or repeat themselves as the audio continues uninterrupted.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/sandra-bland-death-texas-look-alleged-edits-dashcam-video-n396291

Cops cant use adobe to clone stamp, now thats funny.

Edit: also this

“This inmate was cowering under a blanket in the corner of his cell,” Pisciotta recalled in an interview this week with the Miami Herald. “He was an older man, very frail and mentally ill. He wasn’t trying to fight anybody. He was just scared. He was no threat to anyone.”

But not being a threat was of no concern to officer Wilson, who liked to sadistically inflict pain upon restrained inmates.

After Bradley was cuffed and shackled, and posed zero threat to the officers, Wilson dug his finger into the man’s eye socket so hard that he literally popped his eyeball from his skull.

Read more at http://thefreethoughtproject.com/officer-fired-framed-threatened-exposing-fellow-officer-ripped-mans-eyeball/#iuPBJpA7WAJLAKj8.99

Thats some green mile poo poo come to life.

SpeedGem fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jul 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

SpeedGem posted:

At several points in the video of Bland's arrest, posted Tuesday to the department's YouTube channel, video of a person walking or a car driving by are cut or repeat themselves as the audio continues uninterrupted.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/sandra-bland-death-texas-look-alleged-edits-dashcam-video-n396291

Cops cant use adobe to clone stamp, now thats funny.

Holy poo poo. What the hell were they editing out? And why was it even necessary. The two go off to the side out of the camera's view anyway.

Edit: Does this mean the cop re-recorded his audio to dub on top of the doctored footage? :tinfoil:

FourLeaf fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jul 22, 2015

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

FourLeaf posted:

Holy poo poo. What the hell were they editing out? And why was it even necessary. The two go off to the side out of the camera's view anyway.

Edit: Does this mean the cop re-recorded his audio to dub on top of the doctored footage? :tinfoil:

Sounds like the Texas State Police use several of the old Watchguard DVD systems for in-car cameras. From experience these systems sometimes aren't the greatest. They can degrade over time, have read/write issues from the initial save the internal HD, and then the re-write back up to DVD. Other issues Include but are not limited to hard-drive issues and any issues with the DVD in the burner like scratches or faults already present. Not saying whether it was or was not edited I have no idea, just when I heard the audio tracked but the video did not it didn't surprise me. One of the main reasons most new systems are all digital with no external media like tapes or discs.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Omi-Polari posted:

I honestly doubt it was DWB just because it was a State Trooper involved and they will pull over absolutely anyone for the flimsiest reason possible, even for defunct state transportation code violations for which punishments halted years ago but the slow-moving state bureaucracy never bothered to remove. (That happened to me, and then I got interrogated on the side of the road despite not committing a punishable offense.) They pulled over Rick Perry once when he was rolling with state government plates.

They are Judge Dredd authoritarian power trippers with cowboy hats. They are allowed to shoot your tires out if you run from them. They only recently halted shooting at getaway vehicles from helicopters because they killed two Guatemalan immigrants that way.

Texas State Troopers will murder people for like no reason, but they would definitely never racially profile anyone, got it.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Can an autopsy determine if someone had a concussion or not? It seems pretty likely that she killed herself since the video doesn't show anyone else ever going into her cell, but it would be pretty hosed up if she had an untreated concussion for three days.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

PostNouveau posted:

Can an autopsy determine if someone had a concussion or not?

Yes. If not brain swelling or a fractured skull, things like bruises on her head could also show up. I'm just not so sure if the hanging would do anything to her brain that would throw off the results.

The sad part is, she probably did kill herself, unassisted. Going three days without treatment for a concussion would be awful, she could have been in enough pain that she just decided to end it, and wouldn't be thinking clearly enough to not resort to suicide. She might have also either been refused treatment, or was scared to ask, as let's face it, it's not like she'd be treated well since before going to jail.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Anora posted:

Yes. If not brain swelling or a fractured skull, things like bruises on her head could also show up. I'm just not so sure if the hanging would do anything to her brain that would throw off the results.

The sad part is, she probably did kill herself, unassisted. Going three days without treatment for a concussion would be awful, she could have been in enough pain that she just decided to end it, and wouldn't be thinking clearly enough to not resort to suicide. She might have also either been refused treatment, or was scared to ask, as let's face it, it's not like she'd be treated well since before going to jail.

In the video she did not seem like the type not to assert her rights. That's probably (since we're engaging in conjecture) why they entered her cell and suffocated her.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Has the debate over whether she has a right to smoke been had? Because she doesn't.

Geoff Peterson
Jan 1, 2012

by exmarx

Anora posted:

There's also the inherent risk of being trapped in an unfamiliar situation (jail) in which you have no control, limited support, little stimulation and few things to think about except for the intensely unjust nature of your incarceration. The suicide rate of local jails (emphatically: NOT prison) is about 3x higher than the national average for the unincarcerated population. I'm being far more generous than is merited by the history of that particular Sheriff's department and assuming none of their words or actions exacerbated the situation in any way-a benefit of the doubt they have not earned.

Whether a prison guard tied the trash bag around her throat or not, she was killed by the system as surely as Eric Garner was.

E:

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Has the debate over whether she has a right to smoke been had? Because she doesn't.

She was certainly no angel.

Geoff Peterson fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jul 22, 2015

Terraplane
Aug 16, 2007

And when I mash down on your little starter, then your spark plug will give me fire.
On top of that, being treated like garbage on the side of the road and locked in a cage at the whim of a power tripping rear end in a top hat is one of the more demoralizing experiences I can imagine. You're all excited about a new job and a new start, and the next thing you know you're locked away for days in a strange and scary place, you have to come up with bail money you can't afford, you don't know how any of this is going to affect your new job, and the entire new start experience you were so excited about is thoroughly ruined. The officer who dragged her out of her car for not putting out a cigarette wanted to teach her a very specific lesson about her place in society and her value compared to his, and since he's the one with the entire system backing him up it wouldn't be too shocking if she believed it.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Yeah this is an important detail that could blow the case wide open.

Could you cite it

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I don't think we had, because it's irrelevant. In any case, it's hard to smoke when you've been killed extrajudicially.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

SedanChair posted:

I don't think we had, because it's irrelevant. In any case, it's hard to smoke when you've been killed extrajudicially.

Well by hanging anyway. If she had been immolated she'd probably smoke after death which would then retroactively justify said death IE resisting arrest charges on their own

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Terraplane posted:

On top of that, being treated like garbage on the side of the road and locked in a cage at the whim of a power tripping rear end in a top hat is one of the more demoralizing experiences I can imagine. You're all excited about a new job and a new start, and the next thing you know you're locked away for days in a strange and scary place, you have to come up with bail money you can't afford, you don't know how any of this is going to affect your new job, and the entire new start experience you were so excited about is thoroughly ruined. The officer who dragged her out of her car for not putting out a cigarette wanted to teach her a very specific lesson about her place in society and her value compared to his, and since he's the one with the entire system backing him up it wouldn't be too shocking if she believed it.

Isn't Texas one of those messed up states that publicly airs mugshots?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Dum Cumpster posted:

Chicago police shooting unarmed teenagers running from them and then paying to not have the video released is tragic, but that's what they do. I wonder if you being from Texas(assuming?) makes you not realize this. Clearly nothing can be done about it.

Thinking that someone's experience with Chicago cops would make them too trusting is pretty funny. Chicago can't be touched in police brutality what with the thirty years of torture facilities and their black site for off the books questioning

peengers
Jun 6, 2003

toot toot
You guys really need to get off this whole "police can't be trusted" thing, I mean they are underpaid and overworked public servants that put their lives on the line daily for the public and get no respect for it. I am sure that they edited this video on accident and there was no intent to mislead the public at all. A grand jury will prove this fact.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

A Fancy Bloke posted:

Yeah this is an important detail that could blow the case wide open.

Could you cite it

I'm pretty sure at some point in the video she asserts a right to smoke.

I'm not saying that justified the troopers actions. I'm wondering if that discussion had been had.

You can beat the rap not the ride.

tezcat
Jan 1, 2005

Untagged posted:

Sounds like the Texas State Police use several of the old Watchguard DVD systems for in-car cameras. From experience these systems sometimes aren't the greatest. They can degrade over time, have read/write issues from the initial save the internal HD, and then the re-write back up to DVD. Other issues Include but are not limited to hard-drive issues and any issues with the DVD in the burner like scratches or faults already present. Not saying whether it was or was not edited I have no idea, just when I heard the audio tracked but the video did not it didn't surprise me. One of the main reasons most new systems are all digital with no external media like tapes or discs.
Shoddy equipment doesn't explain video editing. Even if the audio quality is poor there is no reason to edit the video unless its to protect the officer.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

tezcat posted:

Shoddy equipment doesn't explain video editing. Even if the audio quality is poor there is no reason to edit the video unless its to protect the officer.

What's being claimed is that it's not an intentional edit, it's the video equipment skipping and duplicating.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Obdicut posted:

What's being claimed is that it's not an intentional edit, it's the video equipment skipping and duplicating.

With several mischaracterizations of the incident already coming from the department, I don't see why anyone would give them the benefit of the doubt at this point.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

You can beat the rap not the ride.

JUDGE. JURY. EXECUTIONER.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I'm pretty sure at some point in the video she asserts a right to smoke.

I'm not saying that justified the troopers actions. I'm wondering if that discussion had been had.

I'm glad in the absence of the pedantic Pollies we have someone to step up and carry the banner.

Are you phone posting by chance?

Hail Mr. Satan! fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jul 22, 2015

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014
Good to see someone exercising their fifth amendment right to smoke, their seventh amendment right to argue with the police, and their fifteenth amendment right to fight police when they are arresting you because you don't like it.

I used my third amendment right to use the Oxford comma, eat it.

http://www.theonion.com/article/area-man-passionate-defender-of-what-he-imagines-c-2849

E: Wow, that lady who was killed in some shady way by the police to make it look like she hanged herself is so poised and calm.

Spacman fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jul 22, 2015

captainblastum
Dec 1, 2004

Spacman posted:

Good to see someone exercising their fifth amendment right to smoke, their seventh amendment right to argue with the police, and their fifteenth amendment right to fight police when they are arresting you because you don't like it.

I used my third amendment right to use the Oxford comma, eat it.

http://www.theonion.com/article/area-man-passionate-defender-of-what-he-imagines-c-2849

Oh cool - you're back. Would you be so kind as to answer my question?

Spacman posted:

I heartily agree. Falling back to screaming racist over and over because you can't argue effectively with a person with an opposing viewpoint effectively is pretty bad.

captainblastum posted:

Do you think that 'just act white' is a valid suggestion, and if so, can you explain what acting black is in your opinion?

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014

captainblastum posted:

Oh cool - you're back. Would you be so kind as to answer my question?

E: Ill answer but you wont like it. At what point did I say that so that I have any reason to be accountable for it to you, of all people? Bear in mind that I am classified as worse than black by your hosed up country.

Spacman fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jul 22, 2015

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Spacman posted:

E: Ill answer but you wont like it. At what point did I say that so that I have any reason to be accountable for it to you, of all people? Bear in mind that I am classified as worse than black by your hosed up country.

You know you can just answer, you don't need to prepare us for it.

At what point did anyone claim smoking was a constitutional right?

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014

A Fancy Bloke posted:

You know you can just answer, you don't need to prepare us for it.

At what point did anyone claim smoking was a constitutional right?

So you agree that resisting lawful arrest because you have a right to smoke in your own car is completely incorrect?

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

captainblastum posted:

Do you think that 'just act white' is a valid suggestion, and if so, can you explain what acting black is in your opinion?

You missed this in your rush to pedantics so I hope this helps.

captainblastum
Dec 1, 2004

Spacman posted:

What you claim to be on the internet has no bearing on your argument, which was that posters here were "[f]alling back to screaming racist over and over because[they] can't argue effectively with a person with an opposing viewpoint effectively." I think that that is a deliberately disingenuous statement, but if I ask you directly about it you'll weasel out of a straight answer - so I wanted to try to nail down the argument that you think isn't racist but is being called racist. Do you think that "act white" is racist? If not - can describe what it means to "act black?"

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014

captainblastum posted:

What you claim to be on the internet has no bearing on your argument, which was that posters here were "[f]alling back to screaming racist over and over because[they] can't argue effectively with a person with an opposing viewpoint effectively." I think that that is a deliberately disingenuous statement, but if I ask you directly about it you'll weasel out of a straight answer - so I wanted to try to nail down the argument that you think isn't racist but is being called racist. Do you think that "act white" is racist? If not - can describe what it means to "act black?"

Can somebody translate this for me?

E: No need. This is the guy saying I said things I didn't say and need to defend them even though I didn't say them again...

Spacman fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jul 22, 2015

peengers
Jun 6, 2003

toot toot

Spacman posted:

E: No need. This is the guy saying I said things I didn't say and need to defend them even though I didn't say them again...

I had no issues reading it, but then I actually took the time to read it.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Spacman posted:

You avoid real questions like a fiend, in order to quibble over the most meaningless portions of posts, and

quote:

Do you think that "act white" is racist? If not - can describe what it means to "act black?"

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014

peengers posted:

I had no issues reading it, but then I actually took the time to read it.

I was genuinely confused as to why I was being called a racist. It took me a while to sync up usernames.

Question stands:

Why do I need to defend things I didn't say? I am genuinely perplexed...

Spacman fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jul 22, 2015

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Internet Explorer posted:

JUDGE. JURY. EXECUTIONER.

Actually it's the accusation phase. In this case it was unlawful accusation and detention. I'm sad she killed herself. I hope the situation is honestly investigated and that policies are improved. This situation was made needlessly tense by the officer and then her response to the officer.

And yes I'm phone posting. Is that punishable now?

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Actually it's the accusation phase. In this case it was unlawful accusation and detention. I'm sad she killed herself. I hope the situation is honestly investigated and that policies are improved. This situation was made needlessly tense by the officer and then her response to the officer.

And yes I'm phone posting. Is that punishable now?

Be careful, they may dredge up a post from 2005 by a Nazi and ask you why you agree with it.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Geoff Peterson posted:

There's also the inherent risk of being trapped in an unfamiliar situation (jail) in which you have no control, limited support, little stimulation and few things to think about except for the intensely unjust nature of your incarceration. The suicide rate of local jails (emphatically: NOT prison) is about 3x higher than the national average for the unincarcerated population. I'm being far more generous than is merited by the history of that particular Sheriff's department and assuming none of their words or actions exacerbated the situation in any way-a benefit of the doubt they have not earned.

Whether a prison guard tied the trash bag around her throat or not, she was killed by the system as surely as Eric Garner was.

Terraplane posted:

I've always felt that if I were ever wrongly imprisoned I'd probably kill myself. Despair is a pretty big fear of mine, as is submission to authority. Being put in a situation where authority calls all the shots and I have no say in when, how and what I do is hell for me. Especially if I don't know how long I'll have to deal with that, compounding the fact that my life might be ruined if I ever get out of the situation...

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014

ElCondemn posted:

I've always felt that if I were ever wrongly imprisoned I'd probably kill myself. Despair is a pretty big fear of mine, as is submission to authority. Being put in a situation where authority calls all the shots and I have no say in when, how and what I do is hell for me. Especially if I don't know how long I'll have to deal with that, compounding the fact that my life might be ruined if I ever get out of the situation...

You should seek help for your suicidal thoughts immediately. Every jurisdiction everywhere had services that can help you through whatever you are going through.

Suicide is never the answer. There are people who can help you. If you let me know your location I can put you in touch with you local care services.

Suicide is never the answer, in Australia contact Beyond Blue on 1300 22 4636 or Lifeline on 13 11 14.

Spacman fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jul 22, 2015

Terraplane
Aug 16, 2007

And when I mash down on your little starter, then your spark plug will give me fire.

Spacman posted:

I was genuinely confused as to why I was being called a racist. It took me a while to sync up usernames.

Question stands:

Why do I need to defend things I didn't say? I am genuinely perplexed...

You accused other posters of, "Falling back to screaming racist over and over because you can't argue effectively." Some might feel that such a statement blatantly ignores that there have been incidences of actual racism in this thread. Now, I didn't ask you that question so I can't be positive, but I'd guess that they are trying to determine if you think it's racist to tell black people to 'act white.' If you do think it's racist, then why aren't you addressing that rather than accusing people of playing the race card? If you don't think it's racist, I suspect they were going to call you dumb and/or racist, because it's a dumb and/or racist as hell thing to say. And anyway...

quote:

Ill answer but you wont like it.

If you have a problem with the question why did you agree to answer it?

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014

Terraplane posted:

You accused other posters of, "Falling back to screaming racist over and over because you can't argue effectively." Some might feel that such a statement blatantly ignores that there have been incidences of actual racism in this thread. Now, I didn't ask you that question so I can't be positive, but I'd guess that they are trying to determine if you think it's racist to tell black people to 'act white.' If you do think it's racist, then why aren't you addressing that rather than accusing people of playing the race card? If you don't think it's racist, I suspect they were going to call you dumb and/or racist, because it's a dumb and/or racist as hell thing to say. And anyway...

If you have a problem with the question why did you agree to answer it?

Do you honestly not understand my reticence?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Spacman posted:

You should seek help for your suicidal thoughts immediately. Every jurisdiction everywhere had services that can help you through whatever you are going through.

*calls emergency services, is shot by cop*

• Locked thread