Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I believe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Can we get that set as the background tahnks

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
And people said this primary season wouldn't top 2012

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Third World Reggin posted:

Can we get that set as the background tahnks

It belongs in a museum.

And as a background in this thread/forum.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

Could the RNC just straight up block Trump somehow? Refuse to let him run in the primaries?

I remember Joementum saying early on that they should just tell him to gently caress off, but they didn't and now that train has left the station.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Slate Action posted:

And people said this primary season wouldn't top 2012

We haven't even gotten started yet

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Full Battle Rattle posted:

We haven't even gotten started yet

It's only going to get yoojer from here, yoojer and more luxurious than ever before

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Mr Hootington posted:

Crossposting the imgur album of the pamphlets I got from Family Leadership Summit. Was going to link post because someone asked, but this is the same thing.

The pedophilia brochure really annoys me because it has basic facts wrong: it says the APA's discussing removing pedophilia as a diagnosis from the DSM-V. Which is lol for two reasons. First, it's not the DSM-V, it's the DSM-5, and second, it was released in 2013, and did not remove pedophilia as a diagnosis. aaaaaaaaaaagh.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

I think my heart stopped.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Brannock posted:

Considering how volatilely Trump has been behaving so far there's absolutely no way this would happen. Imagine the backlash from the very real risk of Trump throwing that bribe into their face and going to the media bragging about how people tried to buy him out...

Not to mention if Trump really is worth several billion dollars (if he really was paid a couple hundred million for The Apprentice's most recent season it is possible) you'd need a pretty massive bribe to have any chance of success. You can't really just say "here's a billion dollars to gently caress off" either.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

I'll laugh at this boob all the way til Election Day but if I get in a booth and his name is on the ballot Im pulling the lever for the big D. Goddam that would be an interesting four years. Also I'm a well off white guy who's too old for the draft so I'll probably dodge the worst of it.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
I sincerely hope that 2016 is an election between the President the US deserves and the President the US needs.

ATribeCalledKvetch
Nov 5, 2010

I do hate myself, but it has nothing to do with being Jewish.

Miltank posted:

I sincerely hope that 2016 is an election between the President the US deserves and the President the US needs.

Carson/Chafee 2016

"the metric system is literally worse than slavery"

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

JT Jag posted:

"Listen, that boy, he wanted to be the Apprentice. And, you know, when you want to be my Apprentice there is a lot I have to teach you. You could say that I'm an expert in several fields, and it would be a shame if all of these skills were not passed on. That's not what I'm about. I'm about making people better. I'm about making America better. Making America Great Again."

For shame.

Wow. On all fronts.

What caused that big dip for Bush ten days ago? Or am I basically asking you to read some tea leaves for me?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

richardfun posted:

For shame.

Wow. On all fronts.

What caused that big dip for Bush ten days ago? Or am I basically asking you to read some tea leaves for me?

Looks like he started sliding when Trump took off.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Narcissus1916 posted:

Will the August 6th debate be available to watch live online?

A group of my friends and I are getting together to get drunk and watch the shitshow, but very few of us actually have cable...

I didn't realize the first debate is August 6th - I'm done with my current job at the end of July and my new one doesn't start until August 10... I am going to get so drunk during that debate.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

If those latest results are accurate and Trump is unscathed, growing stronger, then we are truly blessed. I wonder when the real fear will kick in? Another week of strong poll numbers? It's hard to forecast through the debates since anything could happen but they must be worrying about someone who appears to thrive on media attention getting such a big platform - a Trump polling double-digits and somewhere around the lead could conceivably get a debate bump and keep his crazy momentum going. The only thing I can imagine taking down this campaign is sheer exhaustion, like the media just gets worn out from chasing him from now to Iowa. How long has it been already, just a month or so right? It feels like years.

I mean Jesus, Iowa isn't until February. If he kept up this pace and momentum the whole time he'd redefine overexposure.

The craziest thing about watching his poll numbers go up is I assumed his ceiling would be the percentage of lunatics in the GOP, which I'd have never guessed was this high. Sure, the Republicans have some nutcases, but these are people flipping the finger to the whole Republican establishment and embracing a guy who told a tortured POW he's a loser. Surely there's some cap to his growth, right? It's just not possible he could win a plurality of the Republican primary without the official support of any public figure, politician or journalist who ever wants to show their face again, is it?

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

OctoberBlues posted:

I didn't realize the first debate is August 6th - I'm done with my current job at the end of July and my new one doesn't start until August 10... I am going to get so drunk during that debate.

I specifically asked for the 7th off. I'm a school teacher.

And yet I didn't check to see if somewhere online it'll be streaming.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

richardfun posted:

For shame.

Wow. On all fronts.

Walker's announcement bump and Trump's surge are eating a bit of his pie.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Narcissus1916 posted:

I specifically asked for the 7th off. I'm a school teacher.

And yet I didn't check to see if somewhere online it'll be streaming.

If you're on the west coast you could stream the Loser Debate to your class. lol at the second sentence

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Bush was probably the default choice for a lot of unengaged people on force of name recognition alone, and once Trump opened his trap they're just switching to him. Think about the kind of Republican primary voter who is okay with another Bush in the White House without any further engagement into the political process this far from the election, and it suddenly makes sense for some of them to flock to Trump. These are the same people who still approved of GWB on election day 2008.

If we are steaming into crazytown by the Iowa caucus, Trump might trip on having absolutely no professional campaign apparatus to speak of. You can theoretically win primaries on bloviating but winning a caucus isn't so simple. If he gets a proper campaign structure up the planet will run out of whiskey and popcorn.

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jul 22, 2015

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Good Citizen posted:

I'll laugh at this boob all the way til Election Day but if I get in a booth and his name is on the ballot Im pulling the lever for the big D. Goddam that would be an interesting four years. Also I'm a well off white guy who's too old for the draft so I'll probably dodge the worst of it.

I hope he somehow manages to get the nomination purely because it'll likely be the only time any of us will ever see an FDR/Landon style blowout.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?
While it's a bit out of the way for me, I figured there might be some people interested in entering this contest.

After all, the only thing better than sitting at home watching The Donald steamroll the rest of the Republican field is to be there in person to see him do it.

If anyone enters and ends up winning, I expect a detailed trip report with pictures, a la Mr. Hootington.

Here's the link. Be quick though, contest ends tonight at midnight (July 22, 11:59pm).

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

someone tweet this to trump and he'll retweet it on his page

Coatlicue
Sep 14, 2012

it doesn't matter
how fast or how far,
you're still runnin' like a fool

richardfun posted:

While it's a bit out of the way for me, I figured there might be some people interested in entering this contest.

After all, the only thing better than sitting at home watching The Donald steamroll the rest of the Republican field is to be there in person to see him do it.

If anyone enters and ends up winning, I expect a detailed trip report with pictures, a la Mr. Hootington.

Here's the link. Be quick though, contest ends tonight at midnight (July 22, 11:59pm).

Just entered :). Be sure to go to the fine print first and click the link that lets you enter without donating.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

richardfun posted:

You have to donate $5 to enter. That is cheaper than the usual $20 for dems junk.

Coatlicue
Sep 14, 2012

it doesn't matter
how fast or how far,
you're still runnin' like a fool

Mr Hootington posted:

You have to donate $5 to enter. That is cheaper than the usual $20 for dems junk.

I thought so too at first but if you scroll down to the fine print and click on the link for entering without donating you can still enter. Also be sure to uncheck the box to automatically register at gop.com.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.
Oh, he's so folksy.

Has anyone in the GOP finally realised that the only response to Trump is just to firmly, repeatedly state, "we don't feed the troll Trump"? I mean, drat. Even the Internet knows this.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Of course he has a Punisher shirt on.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
That dude looks so gay every time I see him.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Dolash posted:

The craziest thing about watching his poll numbers go up is I assumed his ceiling would be the percentage of lunatics in the GOP, which I'd have never guessed was this high. Sure, the Republicans have some nutcases, but these are people flipping the finger to the whole Republican establishment and embracing a guy who told a tortured POW he's a loser. Surely there's some cap to his growth, right? It's just not possible he could win a plurality of the Republican primary without the official support of any public figure, politician or journalist who ever wants to show their face again, is it?

Trump's ceiling is just below the combined might of the clown car. Huckabee, Carson, Walker, Bush, Rubio, Graham and Paul are the only candidates with voters not poachable by Trump. Jeb!'s current down swing is mostly due to Walker officially entering the race, same as Rubio's. Of course Jeb! is probably also loosing some people to other candidates due to having yet to actually do anything.

As much fun as Trump is, unless he drops out before the "electable" crazies do there's no way for the Republicans not to end up with Jeb!, Walker, or Rubio. On the other hand, he could successfully burn out a large part of the clown car and leave the field with more establishment than insane candidates when he leaves. A core of Jeb!, Walker, Rubio, Paul, Cruz, and Huckabee would have hilarious results. Christie's probably got too much pride to drop out and Graham's in it to yell at various other candidates. So a Trump flame out that takes out half the field.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

FAUXTON posted:

Of course he has a Punisher shirt on.

Nah, that's an American Sniper shirt. No, I don't see how adopting the Punisher's insignia for your brand could possibly reflect badly on you. Don't question the AMERICAN HERO.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.

meristem posted:

Has anyone in the GOP finally realised that the only response to Trump is just to firmly, repeatedly state, "we don't feed the troll Trump"? I mean, drat. Even the Internet knows this.

Pretty sure that's been Scott Walker (and/or his handler's) approach.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

midnightclimax posted:

That dude looks so gay every time I see him.

Eagerly awaiting the Rick Perry / Mike Rowe slash.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Ron Paul: “Zionism Has Played A Role In Our Post-9/11 March Toward Empire”

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

hearkening back to the time he Punished that coyote on his morning run

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

He's not wrong

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Broken clock, etc.