Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Trip report: babby's first brisket

Pros: Moistest brisket I've ever had. Tender. Tasty.

Cons: Not as smoky as I would have preferred. Needs salt.

That looks great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

Good stuff. Increasing smoke and salt is easy for next time. Tender brisket is trickier, so you licked the hard part.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
About 6 hours in

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I've decided to go ahead and buy a smoker, and after researching a bit I am leaning towards this one

http://www.campchef.com/smoke-vault-24.html

Anyone have personal experience with it? General word around the internet seems fairly positive for it, and I do like the idea of it being able to use both NG and propane.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
What temperature should I stop my brisket at? I've read a bunch of sites and the range seems to be 190-225. Where do you guys usually stop?

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

What temperature should I stop my brisket at? I've read a bunch of sites and the range seems to be 190-225. Where do you guys usually stop?

201 degrees is the magic number for both brisket and pork butt.

ada shatan
Oct 20, 2004

that'll do pig, that'll do

200 - 203.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Right on, thanks guys!

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Did some beautiful 1lb porterhouse-style pork chops on the WSM. Done with just salt & pepper, smoked right to 145 internal. Easiest thing ever, only took about 1.5 hrs and tasted absolutely fantastic.

And for ease of cleanup, didn't use any water in the bowl, and had no problem holding 230 degrees right from the start.

Rescue Toaster fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Sep 14, 2017

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I'm really hitting all the speed bumps right now. Smoker is smoking at 200-210 F at the 20 hour mark the brisket's internal temp was 180 and now at 23 hours it's only 183. Is this the plateau I've read about?

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
I want to try screwing around with my chili to get some smokiness in it. I figure the peppers, tomatoes, onions, and garlic will all benefit. I would appreciate ideas for heat and time on that. I don't want to do everything and realize the garlic tastes like crap if its oversmoked or something

Would throwing some fresh sausage in for a bit do anything or would it just dry it out? I usually use chuck, fresh liguica and chorizo, some smoked sausage, and ground beef. I figure the beef wouldn't be worth doing. I sometimes grab beef shin or random other ends of pork and beef too sear off in the chili. I suppose those could be smoked a bit before?

THE MACHO MAN fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jul 13, 2015

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I'm really hitting all the speed bumps right now. Smoker is smoking at 200-210 F at the 20 hour mark the brisket's internal temp was 180 and now at 23 hours it's only 183. Is this the plateau I've read about?

That is typically around where the second plateau hits, yes. In addition, your smoker's internal temp is only 20-30 degrees above your meat's temperature at this point. The closer you get to thermodynamic equilibrium, the slower it is going to cook.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

My butcher called me. He has wagyu brisket. Should I buy a cut at 6$ a pound?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Snag it before Arby's does

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Secret Spoon posted:

My butcher called me. He has wagyu brisket. Should I buy a cut at 6$ a pound?

poo poo, 6$ a pound seems really par for the course for regular rear end brisket to me.

Ezrem
Jan 23, 2006

Gwaihir posted:

poo poo, 6$ a pound seems really par for the course for regular rear end brisket to me.

Depends on whether it's trimmed or not, around here.

MalleusDei
Mar 21, 2007

Jamsta posted:

Good stuff. Increasing smoke and salt is easy for next time. Tender brisket is trickier, so you licked the hard part.

Whats the trick for more smoke flavor? More chips? I did a pork shoulder this weekend, and it turned out ok, but I wouldn't mind stronger smoke. I tossed a handful of chips in every 30min or so for the first couple hours (propane smoker). Is there a better way to do it?

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

MalleusDei posted:

Whats the trick for more smoke flavor? More chips? I did a pork shoulder this weekend, and it turned out ok, but I wouldn't mind stronger smoke. I tossed a handful of chips in every 30min or so for the first couple hours (propane smoker). Is there a better way to do it?

Just use more chips. It's very easy to over smoke so the fact that your cooks aren't smoky enough means you're being very conservative.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Gwaihir posted:

Its not trimmed. I told him Ill be in soon to pick up a 23lb slab. Time to make phone calls and set up a backyard cookout. Because if Im going to fire up the smoker, I might as well do ribs.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

I am home from work tomorrow and would like to do baby's first brisket. Obviously there's a mountain of information out there so I have some random questions:

The cut. I have no idea what I am looking for. There's a good butcher near work that I am grabbing it from today. I really don't need much (it's going to be me and like 4-5 people?). Also any notes about trimming would be good. Fat cap up or down, etc.

I was planning on doing this very basic, just pretty much fresh salt and pepper, and a tiny bit of garlic powder. Maybe hitting it with a little apple juice while it's in there. What are common regional spices for brisket?

Target temp of 200-203? What's my cooking temp? Amazing ribs says 225 but that there's lots of people who do much higher. Lots of places talk about using the foil crutch. If someone has a rough idea of per pound cooking time so I can ballpark when I need to start this it would be much appreciated.

Resting the meat. This has to be done in an insulated box, not just dropped in foil for an hour? Is this correct?

also is smoking wings worth the effort? I have some leftover ones here that I need to use or freeze really soon and I was thinking about throwing in. I've not actually done chicken of any kind yet in there but I know the skin doesn't really get crispy. Is this a quick smoke and finish on the grill/oven type of deal?

this is more of a random smoking question, but what if any impact does throwing your stuff on a tray vs the racks themselves have? like pulled pork I would imagine cooking it in a tray would be dumb since it would kill the bark on that big rear end bottom side. But for something like stuffed jalapenos or meatballs, the smoker will still penetrate that stuff even if it's in a tinfoil tray?

THE MACHO MAN fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Jul 23, 2015

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
I was cleaning out our chest freezer recently and discovered two racks of ribs I forgot I bought...probably over a year and a half ago. They were cryovac'ed and frozen from the start. My question is, should I even bother smoking them or are they likely to turn out as inedible mush? Somewhere in between?

THE MACHO MAN posted:

I am home from work tomorrow and would like to do baby's first brisket. Obviously there's a mountain of information out there so I have some random questions:

The cut. I have no idea what I am looking for. There's a good butcher near work that I am grabbing it from today. I really don't need much (it's going to be me and like 4-5 people?). Also any notes about trimming would be good. Fat cap up or down, etc.

I was planning on doing this very basic, just pretty much fresh salt and pepper, and a tiny bit of garlic powder. Maybe hitting it with a little apple juice while it's in there. What are common regional spices for brisket?

Target temp of 200-203? What's my cooking temp? Amazing ribs says 225 but that there's lots of people who do much higher. Lots of places talk about using the foil crutch. If someone has a rough idea of per pound cooking time so I can ballpark when I need to start this it would be much appreciated.

Resting the meat. This has to be done in an insulated box, not just dropped in foil for an hour? Is this correct?

also is smoking wings worth the effort? I have some leftover ones here that I need to use or freeze really soon and I was thinking about throwing in. I've not actually done chicken of any kind yet in there but I know the skin doesn't really get crispy. Is this a quick smoke and finish on the grill/oven type of deal?

this is more of a random smoking question, but what if any impact does throwing your stuff on a tray vs the racks themselves have? like pulled pork I would imagine cooking it in a tray would be dumb since it would kill the bark on that big rear end bottom side. But for something like stuffed jalapenos or meatballs, the smoker will still penetrate that stuff even if it's in a tinfoil tray?

I've only done one brisket so far but I did a basic 50/50 salt/pepper rub with some coffee grounds as well and really enjoyed the result. I believe your target temp and cooking temp are right on but yes, some people do smoke it at a higher temp. I rested mine wrapped in foil, towels, and put into a cooler bag. Guests all showed up late so I didn't end up taking it out until about three hours later and it was still very warm and incredibly juicy. Smoking wings can work but they'll get a little soggy. Throwing them on the grill for a few moments afterwards to crisp up the skin would help. I'd avoid a pan for pork shoulder, for the exact reason you stated. A pan for other things is probably fine but keep in mind it will collect any moisture from the food, potentially creating a pool of liquid.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I did a rub of 1/2 cup chilli powder, 1/2 cup sea salt, a half cup of pepper and a 1 1/2 cups of brown sugar and it turned out really well

ninja edit: When I asked a couple days ago I was told the target temp for brisket was 200 degrees by a couple of people/

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

Yeah I definitely wanna try a brisket with more to the rub but I wanted to go simple for my first go round, and then I can kick some over to my mother since she can't have pepper. Brown sugar is weird without some heat to cut it.

thank you very much for the replies guys!

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Just watch Franklin YouTube videos about it. It'll get you close enough.

MalleusDei
Mar 21, 2007

Jamsta posted:

Just use more chips. It's very easy to over smoke so the fact that your cooks aren't smoky enough means you're being very conservative.

Alrighty, doing some ribs this weekend, I'll use more chips.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

sellouts posted:

Just watch Franklin YouTube videos about it. It'll get you close enough.
I checked out the brisket start to finish one. I am a little confused by what I have here. I called ahead and asked for 4 lbs of brisket to smoke... isn't it supposed to be quite a bit longer and thinner than this? Or am I just not understanding the different between the point and top

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

MalleusDei posted:

Alrighty, doing some ribs this weekend, I'll use more chips.

It's much easier to oversmoke ribs than it is a pork shoulder. You still need to be judicious about how much wood you're putting in, and you shouldn't need any after the first 60-90 minutes.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

THE MACHO MAN posted:

I checked out the brisket start to finish one. I am a little confused by what I have here. I called ahead and asked for 4 lbs of brisket to smoke... isn't it supposed to be quite a bit longer and thinner than this? Or am I just not understanding the different between the point and top

What the butcher gave you is a combination of the flat and the point (as they overlap on one end) - fyi: he was being lazy.

In the future, if you're only buying 4lbs, just get one of those pieces (point or flat) so it's more uniform, which makes for better smoking. The combo of the flat/point is generally around 11-15lbs in total for the two pieces which are generally stuck together.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

unknown posted:

What the butcher gave you is a combination of the flat and the point (as they overlap on one end) - fyi: he was being lazy.

In the future, if you're only buying 4lbs, just get one of those pieces (point or flat) so it's more uniform, which makes for better smoking. The combo of the flat/point is generally around 11-15lbs in total for the two pieces which are generally stuck together.

ok, thank you. I just kind of assumed that how they trim it to order has both but distributed a bit differently. So basically anything under 11 pounds I should just get one piece?

I guess the cut threw me off because it looks so different from the stuff I was looking at online and my first reaction was that I hope it cooks evenly at that size. So if I am understanding this right, when it is done cooking I basically hold it like the 2nd pic from the top and slice it horizontally along the fat line?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
I'd honestly have to rethink how to cook that entirely.

Your butcher wasn't just lazy, he was also less than diligent and a bit of a dummy. If someone walks up and says "I want 4 lbs of brisket to smoke", there should be a whole bunch of follow-up questions and some educational statements as to what might be a better choice than what he did there. Instead, I take it he just nodded and took off exactly 4lbs from a good piece of brisket, which is dumb for a bunch of reasons.

The first time I tried to order a pork butt countless years ago, I didn't exactly convey that I was certain I knew what I was asking for, I certainly didn't know shoulder = butt at that point and, eventually, my butcher at that point simply asked a bunch of questions to a) make sure he knew what the gently caress it was that I was asking for and b) I was asking for the proper cut of meat for the thing I described. Butcher's still getting paid, he might as well make sure you're getting what you want.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

Well crap. Well I've not done anything to it aside from a little salt while it sits in the fridge. Any input is appreciated.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Make the best of it. Smoke it, put a thermometer in the middle of it, cook to temp and move on imo

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

That looks far too small to feed 6 people. I'd honestly take it back since it's A. clumsy butchering and B. not going to serve your purposes. Talk to the manager.

MalleusDei
Mar 21, 2007

coronaball posted:

It's much easier to oversmoke ribs than it is a pork shoulder. You still need to be judicious about how much wood you're putting in, and you shouldn't need any after the first 60-90 minutes.

Good to know. I'm still figuring this out, which is half the fun.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Something to keep in mind is that it's sort of like two cuts of meat stuck together, so if they're large enough, maybe split them so they're more even in size and characteristic. Often enough people split them when they've got a full packer (combo of both parts) so they cook evenly.

Expect it to cook really fast for that size, which isn't good - so do it extra low temp.

But yeah, I'd have a chat with the butcher in the future before making another order so you're on the same page.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Crossposting from the post what you made thread:

Maple cured and apple wood smoked. I got the salt level right on this one, and it is loving fantastic:

Bonus infrared of the smoker:

AllPraiseToAllah
Oct 30, 2014

Secret Spoon posted:

Its not trimmed. I told him Ill be in soon to pick up a 23lb slab. Time to make phone calls and set up a backyard cookout. Because if Im going to fire up the smoker, I might as well do ribs.

Let us know how your $140 brisket turns out. Take pictures.

I think it's awesome that your butcher calls you on the phone. Are yall that close?

AllPraiseToAllah
Oct 30, 2014

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Lol at your baby brisket

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

AllPraiseToAllah posted:

Let us know how your $140 brisket turns out. Take pictures.

I think it's awesome that your butcher calls you on the phone. Are yall that close?

I have known him since the second grade. We don't hang out much, but we stay in touch kinda thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Ribs n Beanz. Yus.