Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Generally, having a skill on your bar when turning in quests will level the requisite skill. So have Soul Trap on your bar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Likewise, having at least one piece of each type of armor helps level those skills from just...doing stuff.

Reo
Apr 11, 2003

That'll do, Carlos.
That'll do.

Sky Shadowing posted:

Generally, having a skill on your bar when turning in quests will level the requisite skill. So have Soul Trap on your bar.
I have had it on my bar and am actively using it to fill soul gems, and nothing. :geno:

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

There are no drones here. No way no how.

Reo posted:

I have had it on my bar and am actively using it to fill soul gems, and nothing. :geno:

I noticed it leveling as I did quests from the main quest line, but this is just a guess.

Reo
Apr 11, 2003

That'll do, Carlos.
That'll do.

Drone Incognito posted:

I noticed it leveling as I did quests from the main quest line, but this is just a guess.
Main as in the Prophet's quests? Well that sucks, but I guess it makes sense. It would be nice if the game actually told me this.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

The world skill soul magic level only goes up with doing main story quests, yeah.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
The xp bar on the skill line will say that if you hover your mouse over it, iirc.

If you're on a console, I guess you're kind of screwed in that regard. :confuoot:

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

A few other skills work similarly.
Mages Guild only levels by reading lore books.
Fighters guild only from killing undead and daedra.
Werewolf only from kills while in form.
Ledgermain only from fence interactions, pickpocketing, and lockpicking.

All abilities from these skill lines level like normal, by being on your bar.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

In case anyone wants to buy this on the cheap, you can pick it up at GMG for $12 using the ENCORE-ENCORE-ENCORE discount code at checkout.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Thanks mate, just got imperial edition for about 20 bucks with that code.

...Now to let it download for the next three days.

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jul 22, 2015

Clemocracy
Jul 21, 2015

by Ralp

Reo posted:

Soul magic itself is levelled through the main quests. The skills themselves upgrade like other skills through kills,quest xp, etc.

vug
Jan 23, 2015

by Cowcaster
I was getting quite excited for trying out soul strike when i was about to complete the main quest for the first time. Imagine my disappointment

It's how i got my first kill in pvp though.

Vile
Aug 28, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Beach Party posted:

For anyone on EP, I dropped about 25 steel daggers in the guild bank if anyone wants a few lower levels of blacksmith skill ups from deconstruction. Enjoy.

thanks i used these for parts and made a new guildy "rasheed walrus" some armor

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Me and a few friends picked this up on the GMG sale, have just a couple questions while we're still downloading:

-How many members do you need for a group dungeon? We have a total of 6 people playing but time zones get tricky at times.
-How necessary is it for the group content to have a holy trinity going on? I'm already planning on playing as a tank, but none of us particularly wants to play a healer as far as I can tell.
-We all ended up buying the regular edition before learning about the limitations involved in it (mostly the race/faction thing). Is there any way to upgrade our version or are we now stuck with having to all be one of three races to play together?

That's about it, thanks.

Clemocracy
Jul 21, 2015

by Ralp
Tank isn't strictly necessary (although ideal) just a good melee but you definitely want a healer.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Infinity Gaia posted:

Me and a few friends picked this up on the GMG sale, have just a couple questions while we're still downloading:

-How many members do you need for a group dungeon? We have a total of 6 people playing but time zones get tricky at times.
-How necessary is it for the group content to have a holy trinity going on? I'm already planning on playing as a tank, but none of us particularly wants to play a healer as far as I can tell.
-We all ended up buying the regular edition before learning about the limitations involved in it (mostly the race/faction thing). Is there any way to upgrade our version or are we now stuck with having to all be one of three races to play together?

That's about it, thanks.
Group Dungeons max out at 4 players. My experience with group dungeons is only with the non-VR ones so I'll let someone more knowledgeable answer that, but I'd say that having at least one healer is a requirement.
You can upgrade your edition from the in-game Cash Shop (the Crown Store): the Adventurer Pack allows you to play any race in any faction (except Imperials), a pet and some treasure maps but I don't know the cost since I had it since launch :v: ; the Digital Imperial Edition costs 2100 Crowns (Zenimax funbux) and unlocks the Imperial race to be playable in all three factions, the Pledge of Mara (your character "marries" another and if you group together you get bonus XP) and a horse.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Holy Trinity is pretty necessary. Two DPS, one tank, one heals will generally get you through, so long as they're all competent.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

That only applies for vet dungeons, really. If your healer knows what the hell they're doing then you can definitely get away with 3 deeps/1 healer or 2 deeps/1 healer/1 off-healer for non-veteran dungeons.

I did that last night for Vet CoH even, tossed Inner Fire on my bar, threw on a sword and board, and tanked with my sorcerer when our tank died (because he got snagged by the blade).

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I'm pretty sure I can convince one of my friends to go healer, so it should work out. Thanks for all the answers.

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

We're glad you could play SQIV. As usual, you've been a real pantload.
Requesting an invite to the goon guild

PC Version

USERID: KrisMenace

Gracias!

Edit: Looks like I have 800 crowns in my account (haven't played this for about a year before the in-game shop was implemented). Any suggestions on what I should spend this 800 crowns on?

Mental Midget fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jul 22, 2015

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.
I wanted to request an invite to goon guilds.

Playing PC version.

Character name: Violetstorm

Thank you!

tgidieday
May 7, 2007
You can't kill me, I quit!

Infinity Gaia posted:

I'm pretty sure I can convince one of my friends to go healer, so it should work out. Thanks for all the answers.

Also any magicka dps can make a pretty good healer just by swapping in a resto staff. It's not minmaxed, but you'll never feel locked into healing.

vug
Jan 23, 2015

by Cowcaster
the restoration staff heavy attack is really powerful
to the extent that on one of my characters (tank) i swapped from a bow to a restoration staff because the resto staff did ranged damage better

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
Is the group finder just totally broken? It never works.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday
I pray to god they patch a text chat into the console version. Voice chat isn't an acceptable alternative.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
Just picked this up from GMG for $12, and haven't played since beta. Which guild is the most populated? Also, is the mod section semi-current? Anything added that is a must have?

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

strategery posted:

Is the group finder just totally broken? It never works.

On PC nobody uses group finder.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

It sucks on consoles too. Usually takes an hour to find a group for a dungeon.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004

Sky Shadowing posted:

On PC nobody uses group finder.

Well that is unfortunate.

Beach Party
May 2, 2012

"I took the most excellent hit of my life. Next thing I knew, I was on the beach taking in some cosmic rays gettin healed by mother nature. Takin in a little brewski, holdin on to a beautiful babe. And I'm fine today!"

strategery posted:

Well that is unfortunate.

Pretty easy to find groups just by asking in zone chat on the PC version. On the console version the universal sign for LFG is doing the lute emote in front of the dungeon until somebody invites you to a group. :3:

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Adorable if true.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

He's right, I just go in front of a dungeon and start playing the Lute and usually someone comes up to me and invites me to a group.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

Policenaut posted:

He's right, I just go in front of a dungeon and start playing the Lute and usually someone comes up to me and invites me to a group.

Wading into group zone chat is like going to /b; it's either pure gold or pure vomit and the split between them isn't 50/50 it's like 05/95.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Good god, this is the first MMO I've played since I did something like 3 hours in Asheron's Call, way back in the day.

What do I do to get gooned in here? I joined the Daggerfall Covenant because gently caress Yeah Daggerfall, was that wrong?

If I can join something, do you need my character name (Telarez) or my account name?

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

You know, as little faith as I have in the console version with no text chat I am curious what work-arounds that that community develops to deal with it, so keep us posted on those.

Avail
Jun 27, 2005
the internet? what the fuck is the internet?
I'm on xbone. 23 Templar healer.

My queue times are usually 5-20 min or so for randoms. Though I sometimes run to the front of the dungeon and find a group faster using area voice chat. Guilds make it fast for me as well.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
Is it normal for the game to crash? Mine seems to crash to desktop a lot. Just randomly.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Good god, this is the first MMO I've played since I did something like 3 hours in Asheron's Call, way back in the day.

What do I do to get gooned in here? I joined the Daggerfall Covenant because gently caress Yeah Daggerfall, was that wrong?

If I can join something, do you need my character name (Telarez) or my account name?

Console? Pc?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

xxEightxx posted:

Console? Pc?

PC, sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
Then the most active faction is Ebonheart.
Most of us do have alts on the other factions, but if you want to reliably get into a goon group, then making an EP alt is recommended.

• Locked thread