Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

ljw1004 posted:

Drastic, what would it be like if your app no longer used the WebViewer control? And instead it parsed the message text, and rendered it itself as a load of XAML elements? Then you could figure out your own optimal strategy for dealing with huge GIFs and youtubes (e.g. download the GIFs to disk, but only instantiate them off disk when you scroll then into view; render the youtube with a still image and display in a larger window when the user clicks on it).

:psyboom:

Doing that, and keeping some semblance of the layout of a post, would be nuts. There are tons of corner cases you would have to detect and figure out how to convert. It's not impossible, but very difficult with IMO little to gain by doing it.

Also you would lose animations; As far as I know, GIFs can't animate in an image control, so then I would have to figure out how to get them to animate at all (I know there are a few Github projects with GIF Xaml controls, so I know it's possible, but I don't know how practical they are), then get them to play on demand. The amount of memory savings does not seem to be worth the enormous task.

There are far simpler things to try first, like leaving GIFs on their first frame and requiring the user to click on them to get them to play (The Awful Android app does this already), that would lower the memory requirements (And reduce battery drain!) and can be implemented quickly. I have a web view that (apart from these memory issues) works. It shows threads, can be themed easily, has script handlers attached so it (should) correctly bounce you out of pages to other threads and places on the site, and more. That's much more appealing to try first, and leave "Rewrite the entire thread to use XAML" as a last resort. It's an interesting challenge though, for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Anyone heard anything good or bad about the BLU Win HD?

$129.99 unlocked, same price as the 640, today only.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/BLU-Win-HD-LTE-White--Unlocked/productID.316711900

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

It seems like a good phone for the price (like the 640), but keep in mind that it isn't a Lumia. That means no Glance, double tap to wake, Lumia camera, etc...

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

poo poo tier Lumia does not have glance or double tap anyways. Nokia mixradio us worth it for me to stay Lumia.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Chasiubao posted:

Anyone heard anything good or bad about the BLU Win HD?

$129.99 unlocked, same price as the 640, today only.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/BLU-Win-HD-LTE-White--Unlocked/productID.316711900

This seems like a much better option, if you're AT&T:

http://www.windowscentral.com/walmart-begins-selling-att-gophone-lumia-640

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

I saw that, I'm not sure if I can convert a prepaid phone to my postpaid plan though.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

Partycat posted:

poo poo tier Lumia does not have glance or double tap anyways. Nokia mixradio us worth it for me to stay Lumia.

I've been using Mixradio a lot lately for running.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

Chasiubao posted:

I saw that, I'm not sure if I can convert a prepaid phone to my postpaid plan though.

For what it's worth, I've purchased several Lumia 520/635 GoPhones and they work just fine with a normal AT&T SIM without any kind of activation business. Just put in an already working AT&T SIM and they worked. Whether or not these 640's have different rules I don't know, but I'd be surprised.

Basch lives!
May 31, 2011
Grimy Drawer
Dinosaur Gum
I realized yesterday the 635 is the model preceding the 640. The 640 XL will be inexpensive enough with an AT&T employee discount, so I think I'll do that. Looking forward to joining the uncountably infinite legions of Windows Phone users. I don't think the app ecosystem compared to Android or iOS will get me down considering I've perfected my Windows 8.1 tablet app selection already. (Unless I get totally hosed by any annoying differences in Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 apps.)

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
The only app I wanted and can't have is a wifi signal meter. Took awhile to find a tv series app I like.

BTW, earlier I asked about a mapping app and got no responses. I settled on Hike and Bike which maps my hikes in real time and the data can be exported to Google Earth. Just in case anyone is interested.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Drastic - I'm on the Win 10 preview (10166) on my 1520 and downloaded your (beta) version of the forum app. It won't launch so I'm using the normal non beta one.

Does that sound right or am I missing something?

Thanks

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

wormil posted:

The only app I wanted and can't have is a wifi signal meter.

There's no API for this I believe.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Hi, complete smartphone noob here, went out to buy a new phone last week and found myself coming home with a Lumia 640 LTE for $60. It seems pretty nice so far but it seems many apps are Apple or Android only (and the line the salesman gave about being able to make it Android with a Kitkat launcher was bs, it's just a reskin). It's not necessarily a deal breaker, I only really wanted gps/maps and forums access which seems to be well covered (phone posting now actually!). But will I be missing out on tons of stuff not going Android? I have a day or two left to return this if I want, just not sure of the real differences between the platforms. I have no need of Windows\Office integration or anything like that. Any insight would be appreciated, never had a phone I could use for more than basic talk/text so it's a whole new world.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Any phone will cover maps/forums/calling/texting. I do think that for $60, your 640 will run more smoothly than a similarly-priced Android phone. You have what, the Moto E at that price range? There was a point in time where offline maps was a Windows Phone perk, but HERE maps is on Android and iOS now too, although not as integrated into the operating system. WP contact manager/people app is miles ahead of other platforms' though. I don't think Android has built-in visual voicemail at the moment, but it's coming. WP you can link and delink email inboxes to your heart's content. Live tiles, of course. Skype is supposed to be directly integrated come Windows 10 but I'll believe it when I have it on my phone and not a moment before.

The major differences will be in the UI and the app catalog. If you don't foresee yourself using a ton of apps, I'd stick with the WP at that price point. I think WP as an OS just flows a lot better, but that's a subjective thing.

If you're in a country where it's supported, make sure to try out Cortana.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Specs of the upcoming windows 10 flagship phones have leaked (chinese site/grain of salt/etc):

Lumia 950

5.2" 2k Display
3gb RAM
Snapdragon 808
20 megapixels rear/5 megapixels front camera
32gb storage
Removable 3000 mAh battery
micro SD card slot

Lumia 950XL

5.7" 2k Display
Snapdragon 810
3300 mAh battery

Release expected in October or November. Both phones are expected to have metal bodies.

Source:

http://www.pcauthority.com.au/News/406877,microsofts-first-windows-10-smartphones-leaked.aspx

This looks like a decent effort, although Having made the switch to the windows 10 dev preview on my 930 I've got to say I'm on the fence about a number of changes that have been made to the way the operating system works. I miss the simplicity of panoramas and big text.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

Indecisive posted:

Hi, complete smartphone noob here, went out to buy a new phone last week and found myself coming home with a Lumia 640 LTE for $60. It seems pretty nice so far but it seems many apps are Apple or Android only (and the line the salesman gave about being able to make it Android with a Kitkat launcher was bs, it's just a reskin). It's not necessarily a deal breaker, I only really wanted gps/maps and forums access which seems to be well covered (phone posting now actually!). But will I be missing out on tons of stuff not going Android? I have a day or two left to return this if I want, just not sure of the real differences between the platforms. I have no need of Windows\Office integration or anything like that. Any insight would be appreciated, never had a phone I could use for more than basic talk/text so it's a whole new world.

I'm happy with Windows Phone for the uses you listed. As you have noticed, most of the big popular apps don't really come to Windows Phone. In some cases there is an unofficial app that works with those services, but you have to do some research to find them.

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009

The Lord Bude posted:

Specs of the upcoming windows 10 flagship phones have leaked (chinese site/grain of salt/etc):

Lumia 950

5.2" 2k Display
3gb RAM
Snapdragon 808
20 megapixels rear/5 megapixels front camera
32gb storage
Removable 3000 mAh battery
micro SD card slot

Lumia 950XL

5.7" 2k Display
Snapdragon 810
3300 mAh battery

Release expected in October or November. Both phones are expected to have metal bodies.

Source:

http://www.pcauthority.com.au/News/406877,microsofts-first-windows-10-smartphones-leaked.aspx

This looks like a decent effort, although Having made the switch to the windows 10 dev preview on my 930 I've got to say I'm on the fence about a number of changes that have been made to the way the operating system works. I miss the simplicity of panoramas and big text.

That sounds pretty nice, especially the regular 950 since it has a big battery. Curious as to what the pricing is going to be, since off contract those are going to be quite expensive.

A $299 (zenfone 2) clone with windows 10 would be awesome. While the 830 was nice, it just felt too expensive for what you were getting.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
The 950 looks great. This fall it's down to that or an iPhone 6S. While I strongly prefer Windows for just about everything relating to the OS itself, with Microsoft apps getting better support on iOS and a platform that has been literally written off I might just deal with switching to Apple and replacing all the core apps with Outlook/OneDrive/OneNote/etc. On the other hand my Dell Venue 8 Pro and 5th gen iPod are starting to show their age so I might end up with an iPad or iPod Touch to fill the app gap while not having to deal with iOS as regularly as I would if it were my phone.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jul 22, 2015

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Shumagorath posted:

The 950 looks great. This fall it's down to that or an iPhone 6S. While I strongly prefer Windows for just about everything relating to the OS itself, with Microsoft apps getting better support on iOS and a platform that has been literally written off I might just deal with switching to Apple and replacing all the core apps with Outlook/OneDrive/OneNote/etc. On the other hand my Dell Venue 8 Pro and 5th gen iPod are starting to show their age so I might end up with an iPad or iPod Touch to fill the app gap while not having to deal with iOS as regularly as I would if it were my phone.

I've contemplated moving to iOS - I want a consistent, polished OS with regular updates - but it's out of the question as long as Apple continues to think a 720p screen is acceptable for a flagship phone that costs significantly more than any Android or windows device.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

The Lord Bude posted:

I've contemplated moving to iOS - I want a consistent, polished OS with regular updates - but it's out of the question as long as Apple continues to think a 720p screen is acceptable for a flagship phone that costs significantly more than any Android or windows device.

For what it's worth, the iPhone 6's screen is still really really good. Not being 1080p or above is not that important unless your getting to larger phone sizes, and they probably thought the trade off to battery life was not worth it. Even though the iPhone 6's battery life is still not very good anyway :v:. The memory issue is more my problem with it. 16 gigs is pitiful, and there is little reason for keeping it other than to get people to justify paying more for 64 gigs.

EDIT: Oh yeah 1 gig of ram :wtf:

Also yeah, you're gonna pay the Apple Tax. It's Apple.

But I do like my iPhone :3:

Drastic Actions fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jul 22, 2015

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

The Lord Bude posted:

I'll have been stuck on a 720p screen for three years by the time I need to make that decision so... eh.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Drastic Actions posted:

For what it's worth, the iPhone 6's screen is still really really good. Not being 1080p or above is not that important unless your getting to larger phone sizes, and they probably thought the trade off to battery life was not worth it. Even though the iPhone 6's battery life is still not very good anyway :v:. The memory issue is more my problem with it. 16 gigs is pitiful, and there is little reason for keeping it other than to get people to justify paying more for 64 gigs.

EDIT: Oh yeah 1 gig of ram :wtf:

Also yeah, you're gonna pay the Apple Tax. It's Apple.

But I do like my iPhone :3:

I feel as though it would still be a downgrade from my Lumia 930 with its 5" 1080p screen. An iPhone 6plus might be ok but I'm bot sure I could manage the logistics of such a giant phone.

I understand Android has come a long way since the galaxy nexus I owned way back when, but I'm not sure I want to risk returning to the bad old days of unremovable carrier bloatware, lovely OEM skins messing up the operating system, malware, and being at the mercy of disinterested OEMs and Carriers as to whether you'll ever get that OS update.

Plus the MotoX is only available as an outright purchase, so I'm basically stuck choosing between the G4 and the S6.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Isn't there a benefit when it comes to languages like Chinese or Japanese and high resolution screens? Or in practical use, have you found that that doesn't really matter for you drastic?

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Isn't there a benefit when it comes to languages like Chinese or Japanese and high resolution screens? Or in practical use, have you found that that doesn't really matter for you drastic?

Benefit? I don't think it really matters if the screen is super high resolution or not. It really is more the font choice the OS maker chooses that matters more. That, I think, more determines how readable something is, regardless of the resolution of the screen.

DarkMalfunction
Sep 5, 2014

So my 520 had an interesting moment today - every time I touched the Windows button/key/thingy to exit the News app, it would load up the home screen for a split second, and then conk out and reload the news app again (every time taking about 5 seconds to load the home screen and News app). This happened 10 times in a row until it finally crashed completely when I held down the back key to close it that way, and restarted itself.

I need to upgrade, but I can't decide between the 735 or the 640 (non-XL, I have small hands) - or would I be best off just waiting until Windows 10 Phones come out, and just have to live with my crappy 520 until then?

e: should probably mention my 520 is just generally slow, crashy and rubbish right now, with the camera being especially awful - this is why I am looking to upgrade.

DarkMalfunction fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jul 23, 2015

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
There's a nice rant at The Register about how terrible they think Windows 10 on the phone is.

Here's are some samples of the level of criticism:
  • List boxes are square. Toggles are a pill. Anyone know why? I don’t.
  • Cortana remains a technology looking for a purpose
  • The most useful use case I’ve found for Cortana is answering texts from a Microsoft Band, which can be very handy.
    (The Band by the way, is very good indeed.
  • But that doesn’t mean Store on phones, which can have a flakey connection, should behave like the Store on desktops, with Ethernet or fast Wi-Fi connections. My comment: he doesn't bother explaining how they are behaving differently. One must assume that his phone is not setup to use Wi-Fi, but his Macbook Air laptop is.

There are some legitimate criticisms in the article, such as losing the ability to have "wide tiles", as found in 8.1, but its hard to take such a review seriously when the author just bitches without any understanding.

Edit: fixed formatting.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Ynglaur posted:

There are some legitimate criticisms in the article, such as losing the ability to have "wide tiles", as found in 8.1,

Wait, really? gently caress that for a laugh.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I do agree with a lot of what the article says though, I have to say. Windows phone 10 is a massive step backwards in terms of UI in many places, and I'm not sure I still want to buy another windows phone after this one. Which really sucks because I loved windows phone 8. Just about the only thing that's actually improved in 10 is edge vs IE. I also hate that quiet hours is tied to cortana, which was available in Australia in 8, but not in 10. It's basic phone functionality, it shouldn't require cortana.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
After waiting for around 2 hours to wait for my music app to resync all my music from my SD card, I just stopped caring and bought one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Fiio-X1-FiiO-Silver/dp/B00NS3MRKC

It's a giant piece of terrible Chinese garbage, but it's better than a Windows Phone.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Suspicious Dish posted:

After waiting for around 2 hours to wait for my music app to resync all my music from my SD card, I just stopped caring and bought one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Fiio-X1-FiiO-Silver/dp/B00NS3MRKC

It's a giant piece of terrible Chinese garbage, but it's better than a Windows Phone.

Godspeed, goonsire

furaxu
Oct 23, 2010

DarkMalfunction posted:

So my 520 had an interesting moment today - every time I touched the Windows button/key/thingy to exit the News app, it would load up the home screen for a split second, and then conk out and reload the news app again (every time taking about 5 seconds to load the home screen and News app). This happened 10 times in a row until it finally crashed completely when I held down the back key to close it that way, and restarted itself.

I need to upgrade, but I can't decide between the 735 or the 640 (non-XL, I have small hands) - or would I be best off just waiting until Windows 10 Phones come out, and just have to live with my crappy 520 until then?

e: should probably mention my 520 is just generally slow, crashy and rubbish right now, with the camera being especially awful - this is why I am looking to upgrade.

I upgraded to a 640 from a 521 a few weeks ago. Totally worth it. Screen is great, apps open faster, I still get a full 2 days out of the battery, and most importantly I never have to stare at a resuming screen. Huge improvement over the 521.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

DarkMalfunction posted:

Depends. 640 is a really nice phone for a really appealing price, but it's not that impressive compared to the flagship phones that are coming out. Ask yourself how much you're willing to spend on a phone and how much longer you're willing to grit your teeth with your 520. If you don't need a flagship phone, just get the 640.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
My other big gripe about switching to an iPhone would be Lightning cables, which have already caused dead phones because my friends' houses tend to be either all Lightning or all micro USB. I get the feeling Apple won't switch over to USB-C even though it's on that awful Macbook.

Ynglaur posted:

There's a nice rant at The Register about how terrible
haha yeah, not reading that

Missing wide tiles is pretty bad but the only ones I use that on are Calendar and Weather. I'll live.

The Lord Bude posted:

I do agree with a lot of what the article says though, I have to say. Windows phone 10 is a massive step backwards in terms of UI in many places, and I'm not sure I still want to buy another windows phone after this one. Which really sucks because I loved windows phone 8. Just about the only thing that's actually improved in 10 is edge vs IE. I also hate that quiet hours is tied to cortana, which was available in Australia in 8, but not in 10. It's basic phone functionality, it shouldn't require cortana.
I've been operating with my phone region set to US since Cortana's still not available here. The info still isn't great but I'll give up the Bing image of the day to have location-based reminders. The local info is less dense but the basic functionality is all there. I don't know why your region would backslide but it should be alright at official release.

Suspicious Dish posted:

It's a giant piece of terrible Chinese garbage
so are your posts

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jul 23, 2015

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

http://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-cityman-and-talkman-flagship-full-details

Looks like I'm getting a new phone in September.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

quote:

Verizon is reportedly one of those carrier relationships that is ending with Microsoft due to it not being beneficial (see Nadella's message).

:negative:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

quote:

Volume up and down keys separated by power button
No, stop it. Bad Microsoft.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I'm not entirely sure Verizon was investing as much as they would have needed to to get some actual dividends out of this, honestly (see also: Samsung)

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

No contract GSM master race

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

DarkMalfunction posted:

If you are on tmobile, buy one of the demo 925s I posted about several pages back that are about $60.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Me too it seems, welp.