Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I never played FFIX when it first came out because the main character had a tail, but now that I'm less of a douche and I have a Vita, I'm starting it and it actually seems pretty fun. Anything critical I should know, like any "You missed a dialogue option/chest in the beginning, we locked you out of the best weapon in the game rear end in a top hat" moments?

Also I am getting cards? Is there a card game like Triple Triad? Triple Triad was the poo poo.

You need to get to the final dungeon in less than 12 hours to get Steiner's best weapon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Calaveron posted:

You need to get to the final dungeon in less than 12 hours to get Steiner's best weapon.

Do not try to do this on a first playthrough, however, as you'll suck all the enjoyment out of the game and Steiner is just fine without it.

Enjoy FFIX, it's the most solid of the PS1 games overall and one of my personal favorites. :)

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
i liked the card game in 9 better then the one in 8 but i dont remember playing the one in 8 very much

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)

Calaveron posted:

Considering that doing this makes the closest thing you can do to grinding "only running from most encounters", if you get the Excalibur II, it's because you're going to need it.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

NikkolasKing posted:

Well this is a fine coincidence. I'll keep all that in mind when I reach the end of LR next month should I have problems with the final boss.

FFXIII-2 SPOILERS
I just beat XIII-2 though. I suspect it would have had more of an impact had I not already known what a SHOCKING SWERVE it would be with everyone happy and everything perfect and then, oops, Serah's dead and the world ends. Now it's just a matter of collecting the Paradox Endings and filling the Bestiary. That Bestiary seems like it might be a pain in the rear end... I'm not quite sure just how much I'm missing.

Overall, it was a fun game, which is more than I can say for XIII. As for the plot and characters and so=on....well, there was a plot and characters and so-on. That's all I'm gonna say. Except for the fact I blame Yeul for loving over the world. I'm 99% sure she was warning us not to kill Caius and that this would destroy everything but she did it in the most needlessly cryptic fashion possible. All she had to say is "killing Caius is probably what he wants so make sure you don't do it."

Oh I forgot I gotta do the Lightning DLC too.... And I did get most of the Paradox Endings, including the best one with Time Cop Snow. I was spoiled on that long ago but, hey, it never hurts to see the best character in the trilogy reaffirming why I've always loved him.

As someone who played the first few hours of XIII and never touched it again, are any of the other games on PC worth checking out?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Calaveron posted:

For a second I thought this was a prank post, but of course that would be in here. I'm glad I still know how Square thinks

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

As someone who played the first few hours of XIII and never touched it again, are any of the other games on PC worth checking out?

FF7 + 8 are exactly as you remember them on the PSX (just be prepared to download a sound restoration mod, they used really crappy MIDI versions of the soundtrack), FF4 is based on the DS version and is thus incredibly difficult but including the incredibly useful augment system, FF3 is based on the DS version as well and is thus hot steaming garbage (and infuriatingly, the only way to legally play the game in the U.S.).

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

For a second I thought this was a prank post, but of course that would be in here. I'm glad I still know how Square thinks

Honestly though, it's more of a completionist thing than anything. Steiner's more than usable without it.

And then you have the ultra version of getting it with a (mostly) level 1 party.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Lightning Returns

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

In Training posted:

Lightning Returns

Is not yet on PC!

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Most important thing is to remember that practically all bosses have something cool you can steal, although some of them are super stingy when it comes to it. Since new abilities are tied to your gear, getting new gear ahead of time by stealing will also net you new abilities faster.

Also if you want to play cards, and you'll have to at one point, you had best check the rules because even the people in-universe don't know how it works. It's not really that complex but it's not explained properly anywhere and there's a random element to it.

And it's not a hugely important thing and not relevant in the beginning, but the various equippable gems and Summons are kind of tied together. For example Shiva deals more damage the more Opals you carry and Odin's Zantetsuken success chance depends on the number of Ores you carry. With some cases equipping a gem changes or boosts effects, for example equipping an Emerald will have Carbuncle buff you with Protect and Haste but equipping a Diamond will have him cast Protect and Vanish instead.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It's practically an easter egg, and it's hilarious that some people always point it out as if it was Zodiac Spear's predecessor or something. In practice it might as well be a key item like what you get from beating Omega in VIII, a bragging rights reward and nothing more.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
It's extra irrelevant because it's really easy to have Steiner hitting the damage cap without that item anyway.

Buy one of at least every new item every time you enter a new town, because a lot of that poo poo goes away permanently (along with any unique Abilities they had) after a certain point.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

If you just leave the game running for two years the clock resets and you can get the exclaibur 2 that way, what's the problem

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Enjoy FF9. It is legit my most favourite final fantasy game. I still replay it every few years. That game has so much soul.
I never noticed that the combat was slow until this thread pointed it out. But even with that. It's the best.

Man, as a child. I sometimes before starting the game. Just let the title screen keep on playing its music. I really liked it.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Help Im Alive posted:

If you just leave the game running for two years the clock resets and you can get the exclaibur 2 that way, what's the problem

How fast can you speed a game up on an emulator? Could you add 2 years of game time to your file in a couple hours of speed up?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Final Fantasy XIII-2. I can assure you, it's a very different game from XIII. I had infinitely more fun with the sequel than the first game, even if, on the whole, XIII is probably objectively the better game.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I don't think I've seen crazier completionist requirements than suikoden 2.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Kingtheninja posted:

To get 100% in the first Baten Kaitos, you have to play the game for 336 hours.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Just spent half an hour trying to work out what was wrong with my FF14 account that I haven't used in a year, only to realise that you can't even log in enough to update the game without an active subscription.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kingtheninja posted:

Suikoden 2 is tame aside from the seeing Clive cutscene requirement.

Try getting a platinum in Star Ocean 4. :getin:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

In many ways XIII-2 wasn't so hard to 100%. It's a lot of "when you know where something is." But then you have poo poo like Brain Blast's "Heads or Tails/Odds or Evens/Red or Black?" and you realize it's just not worth it. Well, okay, I actually did that. I stopped at 159 Fragments because gently caress the bestiary. There are some ridiculous spawn conditions. I played 130 hours of that game, I did enough work.

ImpAtom posted:

I considered doing that. Then I looked at a guide and that was the end of that fleeting aspiration.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Everything about FF9 owns except the battle system

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

In many ways XIII-2 wasn't so hard to 100%. It's a lot of "when you know where something is." But then you have poo poo like Brain Blast's "Heads or Tails/Odds or Evens/Red or Black?" and you realize it's just not worth it. Well, okay, I actually did that. I stopped at 159 Fragments because gently caress the bestiary. There are some ridiculous spawn conditions. I played 130 hours of that game, I did enough work.

What do you mean by 100%? I got the platinum in that game in like 50 hours or something

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

corn in the fridge posted:

i liked the card game in 9 better then the one in 8 but i dont remember playing the one in 8 very much

That's why you're wrong! Ain't no surprise they put the good card game in FFXIV.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

I considered doing that. Then I looked at a guide and that was the end of that fleeting aspiration.

That is how you know you are sane.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Help Im Alive posted:

What do you mean by 100%? I got the platinum in that game in like 50 hours or something

Getting all Fragments, beating all Colosseum bosses, etc...

I'm slow with my games I won't deny. It doesn't help for the longest time I flatout refused to look up a guide. That was not a wise decision. I can't see very good and I was missing a ton of Moogle Throw things. The thing that kept me stymied for about a solid day or two was the fact I wasted all of my Wild Artefacts on the wrong Gates looking for the second Augusta Tower. I tried my best to find another Wild Artefact but in the end I admitted defeat and looked it up.

Although, in my defense, the game mechanics are a giant gently caress you. They introduce the fact Mog will light up and fly towards treasure when you have to use Moogle Hunt or he'll just light up and give you a hint where you have to Throw him. Except this handy-dandy mechanic only works some of the time. I was missing a ton of things because I expected this feature they introduced in the first hour of the game to be perpetual, not selective. So...gently caress you, game.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jul 22, 2015

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

We don't like it when the city light start fading
When the city lights fading then we can't get down
Back when I used to do things like 100% files and all level 99 characters, I replayed FFVII because I missed Cait Sith's ultimate weapon. I then proceeded to forget it the second time. Third time did it though :downs:

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Suikoden 2 is tame aside from the seeing Clive cutscene requirement.

I still like the "completionist" times for Star Ocean 3 on howlongtobeat.com

code:
PlayStyle	Polled	Average		Median		Rushed		Leisure
Completionists	2	695h 53m	695h 53m	547h 56m	843h 49m

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I never played FFIX when it first came out because the main character had a tail, but now that I'm less of a douche and I have a Vita, I'm starting it and it actually seems pretty fun. Anything critical I should know, like any "You missed a dialogue option/chest in the beginning, we locked you out of the best weapon in the game rear end in a top hat" moments?

Steal from every boss.
Get Quina on your way to Gizmaluke's Grotto, have him learn L5 Death, and then crawl out of the moogle hideaway at the back of the Grotto, to fight Grand Dragons which are weak to L5 Death. Easy XP.
Grind out abilities before equipping new armor. The only times I remember needing to do this anyway were Madain Sari, and solo Zidane outside of Lindblum (since they sell several new weapons for him there)
When you get to the Card Tourney at Treno, leave town and go through the gates to revisit Dali. The mayor isn't home at this point so you can explore his house and nab a few useful items.
Try to collect all the Stellazzios (zodiac items) because the rewards you get from the collector in Treno are extremely worth it.

and for the exceptionally insane, there was a sidequest no one knew about outside of japan until recently, which is fight a boss in the final dungeon, then go all the way back to the hideout in Lindblum to see a scene. Do this after each boss (about 9 times total) and you get a lovely Ring that isn't worth it at all.

Veks
May 12, 2012

OOOOOOH MYYY GOOOOOOOOOOOOD

Excels posted:

Get Quina on your way to Gizmaluke's Grotto, have him learn L5 Death, and then crawl out of the moogle hideaway at the back of the Grotto, to fight Grand Dragons which are weak to L5 Death. Easy XP.

Don't do this, the game is easy enough to not have to powerlevel.

giffan
Jul 10, 2012

Pureauthor posted:

It's extra irrelevant because it's really easy to have Steiner hitting the damage cap without that item anyway.

Buy one of at least every new item every time you enter a new town, because a lot of that poo poo goes away permanently (along with any unique Abilities they had) after a certain point.

Adding to this, you'll definitely want to buy more than one of certain equipment items for Synthesis shops, particularly the low-level stuff. Maybe look up a list of what you need for Synth items if you don't want to simply hoard multiples of every piece of equipment you come across.

Also, you'll want decent cards for a mandatory event later.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I just played FFIX and had no problem whatsoever finishing the game and seeing most of the extra stuff. Don't read 800 words about how exactly to play, please, just enjoy the fun game.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Veks posted:

Yeah, that post has to be kidding. Why would you ever want FF9 to be easier?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

giffan posted:

Also, you'll want decent cards for a mandatory event later.

I've never had to hunt down decent cards to win that. I just use whatever I've picked up from battles.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Calaveron posted:

Plus, you can't actually equip the real best weapon in the game. Save the Queen has a special formula where its base power is something like (user's level ^ 2) and you can even craft it, but nobody who's in your party at the end of the game can actually use it :v:

You get plenty of ultimate weapons just taking your time and exploring anyway. Steiner's the only one whose "true" best weapon has a weird joke restriction on it.

In Training posted:

I just played FFIX and had no problem whatsoever finishing the game and seeing most of the extra stuff. Don't read 800 words about how exactly to play, please, just enjoy the fun game.

This link contains the only instructions you need to help you enjoy the game more

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Veks posted:

there is nothing wrong with being OP in a final fantasy game.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Excels posted:

there is nothing wrong with being OP in a final fantasy game.

This is true but FF9 is weird in that the best improvements to your stats aren't actually from levels, but from a really obtuse hidden mechanic that's so :psyduck: I wouldn't even explain it to someone who knows they absolutely love playing FF9. Also because it has bell curve levels anyway so your natural returns suck one you hit the 60s or so.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

yeah i remember the LP trying to explain min-maxing in FFIX, why was that feature even added when 99% of people will never find out about it

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

The White Dragon posted:

This is true but FF9 is weird in that the best improvements to your stats aren't actually from levels, but from a really obtuse hidden mechanic that's so :psyduck: I wouldn't even explain it to someone who knows they absolutely love playing FF9. Also because it has bell curve levels anyway so your natural returns suck one you hit the 60s or so.

Please explain it to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

fronz posted:

Please explain it to me

just read the FFIX LP