Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

cheesetriangles posted:

So I'm playing as low tech non lethal Denton. The riot baton solves all ills. One thing I don't get is the crossbow. It says it does 25 base damage but it always takes multiple hits to kill anything and if you shoot someone with the tranq darts they just shoot you for a while before falling over. Why would you ever use it?
Because you can hit someone once with a tranq dart, hide, and the AI is stupid enough not to be able to handle it before falling over.

It's incredibly useful in the early levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Oof Oof oof Oof Oof Oof Aaaauhhgg

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

In Training posted:

The Paul Denton/Maggie Chow sex tape.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

In Training posted:

There's no aaauuuuggghhh, just ooh *drop*

LookieLoo
Feb 10, 2011

cheesetriangles posted:

So I'm playing as low tech non lethal Denton. The riot baton solves all ills. One thing I don't get is the crossbow. It says it does 25 base damage but it always takes multiple hits to kill anything and if you shoot someone with the tranq darts they just shoot you for a while before falling over. Why would you ever use it?

Wasn't there some weird hit box thing where you have to shoot them in the butt to get max damage? Maybe I'm thinking of the stun baton.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Jeoh posted:

There's no aaauuuuggghhh, just ooh *drop*

Is there a lethal version of the crossbow dart? Like a poison dart? I forgot

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

In Training posted:

Is there a lethal version of the crossbow dart? Like a poison dart? I forgot

There's the regular dart, and the flare dart.

LookieLoo posted:

Wasn't there some weird hit box thing where you have to shoot them in the butt to get max damage? Maybe I'm thinking of the stun baton.

Deus Ex hitboxes are weird.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Jeoh posted:

There's the regular dart, and the flare dart.

Deus Ex hitboxes are weird.

Oops. Also yeah, Max damage is headshots and the area right at the top of the buttcrack. Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker has an identical system as well (shooting a man in the top of rear end will instantly kill or knock out).

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

In Training posted:

Oops. Also yeah, Max damage is headshots and the area right at the top of the buttcrack. Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker has an identical system as well (shooting a man in the top of rear end will instantly kill or knock out).
A man's rear end is his weak point. Any woman could tell you that.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Max damage with melee weapons is from behind, I don't think that affects headshots though.

(or stunned, which is quadruple damage)

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

FactsAreUseless posted:

Because you can hit someone once with a tranq dart, hide, and the AI is stupid enough not to be able to handle it before falling over.

It's incredibly useful in the early levels.
I was always hunted down by everyone when I did that, must be from biomod. The tranqs should have been more potent in this game.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Jeoh posted:

You missed an important one: 0451 is the access code to their old offices, not a reference to Fahrenheit 451

It's so well-known that I didn't think about it. Bioshock, Human Revolution, and Dishonored also have 0451 combination locks at the beginning, the tradition is still going strong.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Bioshock Infinite had it as well. The only combo lock in the game.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Scalding Coffee posted:

I was always hunted down by everyone when I did that, must be from biomod. The tranqs should have been more potent in this game.
I don't think Shifter or Biomod make any changes to the AI or the crossbow that would affect that. It all depends on the specifics of the encounter and whether or not the pathfinding is able to navigate the particular chunk of level you're in effectively. Also it's worth noting that the crossbow's effectiveness is governed by the pistol skill, not low-tech. I know some people get tripped up by that.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Sleeveless posted:

It's so well-known that I didn't think about it. Bioshock, Human Revolution, and Dishonored also have 0451 combination locks at the beginning, the tradition is still going strong.

It goes all the way back to the original System Shock, where it was the code of the first door you encountered.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

John Dough posted:

It goes all the way back to the original System Shock, where it was the code of the first door you encountered.

System Shock 2 changes it up a little: the first door is 45100.

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Another unfunny, threadshitting knob-end.
It was also recently featured in the little-known indie stealth cyberpunk game Neon Struct, with only a sly hidden hint along the lines of "thousands of door codes to choose from, and he picked that one". You also play an agent named Jillian Cleary, and one random NPC's incidental line is literally "Go get 'em, J.C.!". That game's p cool, though it's a lot more Thief than it is DX in terms of gameplay.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
At this point, having some variation of 0451 as your first keypad code is practically mandatory for first-person games with stealth or scavenging elements. It's the easiest "we're Looking Glass fans" thing possible. :v:

Neon Struct is great and I recommend it to fans of Thief 1/2. People kept comparing it to Deus Ex because of the aesthetics, but it's strictly a Thief game that just happens to be set in the near future. I wish the audio design was less bare-bones, though. The lack of any dialogue, ambience or score made me realise just how much those things add to stealth games in general (since there's a lot of downtime while playing).

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Guard 1: Sometimes, good incidental dialogue is very hard to write.

Guard 2: Never doubt it.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Shall we gather for whiskey and cigars later?

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

Whiskey And Cigars

e;fb

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Neon Struct is great and I recommend it to fans of Thief 1/2. People kept comparing it to Deus Ex because of the aesthetics, but it's strictly a Thief game that just happens to be set in the near future. I wish the audio design was less bare-bones, though. The lack of any dialogue, ambience or score made me realise just how much those things add to stealth games in general (since there's a lot of downtime while playing).

I feel like the sound design issues come from a combination of trying to imitate Thief's subtle soundscape without the budget/sound engineering to make that work, and committing a bit too much to the minimalist approach. Just some decent recordings of outdoor/indoor ambiance could help make that game feel way more atmospheric without breaking the "diagetic soundtrack" thing they were going for (Incidentally, the main menu/JACKING INTO CYBERSPACE THE GRID THE MATRIX NEON STRUCT theme sounds very Michael Mccann-esque, and i really wish there was more than one song in the game with that style).

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Lemon Curdistan posted:

At this point, having some variation of 0451 as your first keypad code is practically mandatory for first-person games with stealth or scavenging elements. It's the easiest "we're Looking Glass fans" thing possible. :v:

Somebody should screw with it by having the last keypad in the game be 1540 instead.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
T2x, the 'unofficial' Thief 2 expansion, NAILED incidental guard dialogue. It's not just fluff. It's to let you know where they are, it's a gameplay element. It's usually some combination of coughing, breathing, whistling or muttering about something. Great great set of missions, except the very first mission is lovely.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

T2x, the 'unofficial' Thief 2 expansion, NAILED incidental guard dialogue. It's not just fluff. It's to let you know where they are, it's a gameplay element. It's usually some combination of coughing, breathing, whistling or muttering about something. Great great set of missions, except the very first mission is lovely.

I remember exploring Maggie Chow's building on my first run when I came close to a door and the game subtitles helpfully informed me "MJ12 Soldier: *coughs*"

Well, I guess that saves me the trouble of figuring out your allegiance, Maggie.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

FactsAreUseless posted:

Hot as hell in these masks.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Der Luftwaffle posted:

I remember exploring Maggie Chow's building on my first run when I came close to a door and the game subtitles helpfully informed me "MJ12 Soldier: *coughs*"

Well, I guess that saves me the trouble of figuring out your allegiance, Maggie.

This happened to me too, I love it.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Hello Deus Ex thread :) Sorry, this is a little off-topic, but I couldn't find any sort of "recommend me a video game!" threads here in Games so I thought I might ask here. I'm finishing up a replay of DX:HR and I'd love a suggestion of something with similar pacing and combat to play next. I tend to like games that are a bit more FPS than RPG -- like, I think DX and Dishonored are great, but Borderlands had too many sidequests and I burn myself out pretty quickly when I have little quest markers popping up everywhere on my map. I basically just want to run around shooting and/or punching mans and upgrading my ability to shoot and/or punch mans.

Something from within the last like... five years or so, maybe? I tried replaying the original DX recently but I can't get past the very very dated graphics. :saddowns:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Hello Deus Ex thread :) Sorry, this is a little off-topic, but I couldn't find any sort of "recommend me a video game!" threads here in Games so I thought I might ask here. I'm finishing up a replay of DX:HR and I'd love a suggestion of something with similar pacing and combat to play next. I tend to like games that are a bit more FPS than RPG -- like, I think DX and Dishonored are great, but Borderlands had too many sidequests and I burn myself out pretty quickly when I have little quest markers popping up everywhere on my map. I basically just want to run around shooting and/or punching mans and upgrading my ability to shoot and/or punch mans.

Something from within the last like... five years or so, maybe? I tried replaying the original DX recently but I can't get past the very very dated graphics. :saddowns:

This is like saying "I tried having sex, but I just couldn't get over how dated it is."

Play System Shock and System Shock 2. By the time you're done, the graphics in DX should look amazing.

:colbert:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Sorry, I know, I'm literally the worst :shobon:

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Geight posted:

This happened to me too, I love it.

Same. It even makes sense.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Vampire: the Masquerade - Bloodlines maybe. Not quite what you asked for but closest thing I know of.

Oh, check out EYE as well.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Cointelprofessional posted:

I'm surprised no one has posted this yet. As a promo for the next Deus Ex game, they gathered some of the creators together to provide commentary on a play through.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTVBSxnwiCo

This is pretty cool but I am bummed that they're playing in 16-bit color because it looks lovely.

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

New Vegas and Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines are my personal favorite fpsrpg's. If you just want meaty combat try E.Y.E but it's pretty weird.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
If you liked HR Syndicate (2012) might be right up your alley, certainly visually and shooty at least.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Following up on Deus Ex: HR with E.Y.E. is like following up on Gattaca by watching some weird Korean remake of Robocop where Robocop finds out he is literally the devil.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Following up on Deus Ex: HR with E.Y.E. is like following up on Gattaca by watching some weird Korean remake of Robocop where Robocop finds out he is literally the devil.

I should play E.Y.E.

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Geight posted:

I should play E.Y.E.

The hacking minigame is literally a turn-based RPG, and failing a hack attempt means you have to hack your own brain to get rid of your brain computer virus.

EYE is a pretty amazing game. Honestly, my only criticism is that stealth doesn't seem all that viable or fun due to stock Source engine AI jank, though I only ever tried it on the first proper mission before saying "gently caress it" and just rolling with bigass guns and heavy armor and gibbed my way through the whole game in co-op.

Also I'm pretty sure co-op has some absurdly high playercap,, presumably because they rolled with stock Source netcode as well. It owns.

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator

Moartoast posted:

The hacking minigame is literally a turn-based RPG, and failing a hack attempt means you have to hack your own brain to get rid of your brain computer virus.

EYE is a pretty amazing game. Honestly, my only criticism is that stealth doesn't seem all that viable or fun due to stock Source engine AI jank, though I only ever tried it on the first proper mission before saying "gently caress it" and just rolling with bigass guns and heavy armor and gibbed my way through the whole game in co-op.

Also I'm pretty sure co-op has some absurdly high playercap,, presumably because they rolled with stock Source netcode as well. It owns.

Yeah the stealth basically comes down to cloaking after enemies see you and then backstabbing them when they look away in confusion. Oh yeah and backstabs are always a one hit kill. See that helicopter? You can backstab it. See that giant demon? You can backstab it. See that dumb 40k looking guy? Yup, proceed to stabbing.

God I love that game

neosloth fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jul 23, 2015

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Alpha Protocol?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I tend to like games that are a bit more FPS than RPG
You generally don't go non-lethal, do you?

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Nothing could live up to this recommendation.