Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

MrBond posted:

The guy that writes the term paper length screeds is just amazing. It's so long that I think he genuinely believes all of it. I can't imagine a troll being that dedicated.

The guy that said the apple watch was useless because it didn't have a thunderbolt port? I seriously couldn't tell if he was trolling or deranged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

Three Olives posted:

Last year LG gave a away a bunch of free phones (Like hundreds and hundreds) to people willing to stand in a fake line to "buy" a phone on launch day. I did it, they kept us in a holding room, made us sign media releases and then made us get into a line that that they had ordered us in while we were in the holding room. It was all rather weird but free phone. :toot:

Ah yeah, that was it. I always mix up LG and Samsung when it comes to phones.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

gret posted:

The guy that said the apple watch was useless because it didn't have a thunderbolt port? I seriously couldn't tell if he was trolling or deranged.
He's a troll with too much time on his hands because he also said it was too small and low power for spreadsheets and rendering 3D.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

RVProfootballer posted:

There are awful internet nerds for everything, of course there are awful pro-Apple internet nerds.

Yeah, but most of them tend to hang out in Apple-specific forums and the like and not read non-Apple posts.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
So, over a billion in revenue in the past quarter is probably a decent start, right?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Space Racist posted:

So, over a billion in revenue in the past quarter is probably a decent start, right?
Probably, and apparently accelerating. Also selling faster than the iPhone and iPad, latter of which did 3 million in 80 days.

AlwaysWetID34
Mar 8, 2003
*shrug*
If I believe all the blog analysts, none of that is good enough. The Apple Watch is a huge failure, and the sky is pretty much falling on Apple's head right now.</click bait>

PsychoLordling
May 13, 2008

If you can read this Sarah Palin's dick must have fallen out of my mouth. Please return it to it's proper position.
I for one will buy my first wrist watch in 15 year once Apple dump them in this country...

Then again, I am going to the US in a week.., anyone know if there are any kind of global warranties on Apple Watches, so if I buy one in the US, I could get it serviced in Europe if it fails?
I am thinking that if I unpack it and start it up in the store, to make sure it is not DOA, then I should be fairly safe?

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

I think you should be fine since there aren't country-specific models of the watch.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Just got in my off brand watch band. Pretty good quality so far, easy to adjust by taking out links, and feels way better than the sports band, which felt gross and I hated wearing.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

PsychoLordling posted:

I for one will buy my first wrist watch in 15 year once Apple dump them in this country...

Then again, I am going to the US in a week.., anyone know if there are any kind of global warranties on Apple Watches, so if I buy one in the US, I could get it serviced in Europe if it fails?
I am thinking that if I unpack it and start it up in the store, to make sure it is not DOA, then I should be fairly safe?
https://www.apple.com/support/products/watch.html

That says global.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Full admission I've been out if this thread for hundreds of posts...

Just wanted to take a pulse on the early adopters and their usage. Was there a novelty period that died off and the you were like "ummm, I don't really use this thing much."?

Or is it still awesome and integral to you? My plan is to get the next one they make. Which is different for me because I've always been an early adopter on Apple stuff.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Yeah, one nice thing about Apple products is that they have a single worldwide service database. I dropped my iPad once on a trip to Georgia and was able to get it replaced when we went back through Istanbul, even used the free wifi to restore from an iCloud backup.

Feenix posted:

Just wanted to take a pulse on the early adopters and their usage. Was there a novelty period that died off and the you were like "ummm, I don't really use this thing much."?

Or is it still awesome and integral to you? My plan is to get the next one they make. Which is different for me because I've always been an early adopter on Apple stuff.

I'l admit that I touch it a lot less than I used to, but that's not because I'm using it any less; if anything I'm using it more. It's just that I have all my alerts configured the way I like so now when something does pop up I just glance at it to get the information. In cases when I do have to take action I use voice dictation or Siri. It's still integral for me every day from cooking dinner to fitness tracking to texting and calls.

Gynocentric Regime fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jul 24, 2015

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

iPhones are the exception to that rule I think, though.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Mulva posted:

I'l admit that I touch it a lot less than I used to, but that's not because I'm using it any less; if anything I'm using it more. It's just that I have all my alerts configured the way I like so now when something does pop up I just glance at it to get the information. In cases when I do have to take action I use voice dictation or Siri. It's still integral for me every day from cooking dinner to fitness tracking to texting and calls.

This is basically my experience as well.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Agronox posted:

This is basically my experience as well.

I'll third that. It's become something I rely on but rarely do I touch it. I almost never go to the app screen (which is awfully designed). Looking at notifications on it has become second nature and let's me keep my phone in my pocket or on the charger a lot more. Siri is pretty great for reminders, timers, etc.

It's not a device that lends itself to long interactions. You're not going to play with it and frequently switch between apps as you might with your phone. But for the things that make sense to do with a watch in the first place, it does very well.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I'll third that. It's become something I rely on but rarely do I touch it. I almost never go to the app screen (which is awfully designed). Looking at notifications on it has become second nature and let's me keep my phone in my pocket or on the charger a lot more. Siri is pretty great for reminders, timers, etc.

It's not a device that lends itself to long interactions. You're not going to play with it and frequently switch between apps as you might with your phone. But for the things that make sense to do with a watch in the first place, it does very well.

Nth-ing this. Still wear mine constantly and I love it. Seldom do I veer from the modular watch face functionality (calendar, temp, alarm timer) or to clear alerts, and when I do its usually to the dark sky glance for rain. Once dark sky goes into a complication on the watch face I'll probably go weeks without using any glances.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Feenix posted:

It's awesome because I don't use much :smug:

But seriously it's like Mulva and the others above, once past the screwing around with new toy stage (or as part of that stage) I was basically just paring things down as much as possible to the stuff I was accessing most often. I was already pretty minimal to begin with but still reduced stuff down from that.

Glances are kinda weird to deal with since they can't do any app interaction right now (just display), I'm guessing/hoping OS 2 addresses that, cause interaction wise they're basically glorified app launchers other than the Apple ones. Home screen has become surprisingly ok for me since I've gotten my primary use apps right on the "main" zoom/view, so I don't have to pan around looking for them. Third party complications will go a long way towards streamlining things further though.

And yeah, notifications :toot:, doesn't sound like much but it's awesome once you (again) pare those down to what you really want to be notified of, and just get used to them on your wrist (vs pulling out your phone a lot).

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
As someone who is in meetings all day, being able to quickly glance at my watch to get calander and text updates is like a life saver. Sometimes you just can't pull your phone out.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Sorry all.. maybe the term "using" was not right. But you're still wearing it and interacting with it and it's proving useful in your daily life. Thats cool.

Thanks for all the replies.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
It's awesome and I use it daily, mostly as a kitchen timer and for reminding me to get up and move my rear end around a bit ten minutes before every full hour :v: But getting text messages on my wrist is great too, as is using it for logging workouts. I find myself fiddling around with my phone less and less and just leaving it somewhere in the house like others said.

I think the kitchen timer might actually be my single most used feature of the watch.

I wish the glances were more interactive and that third-party apps weren't so terribly slow to load if at all loading, but that really doesn't bother me much as the native apps work great and cover most of my needs.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
On average how far from a plugged in/stationary phone are you guys able to go and still have it interact?

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
I feel naked without my watch. I love screening calls and text from my wrist and just covering the screen to ignore. I also use the timer for cooking and roll my eyes but obey when it tells me to get my fat rear end up on the hour.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Feenix posted:

On average how far from a plugged in/stationary phone are you guys able to go and still have it interact?
I think it depends on if it likes your network setup. Like ideally it traverses the LAN and the range will be as far as your wifi reaches. On mine it doesn't seem to (or else my watch would work from the backyard when the phone is in my room), although it should in theory, maybe it'll work better in OS 2.

Otherwise I'm not sure, but it does seem to have a decent range, like I just pinged my phone from like >50 feet now...but for all I know the wifi traversal is working where I just tested it :iiam:

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
I can walk around at work without disconnecting across two floors, but then again we have wifi there so that might help with the range.

5-10 meters don't seem to be a problem overall with good conditions. I gotta take my phone with me to the gym sometime and check out how far away I can get from the locker before it disconnects.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Zwille posted:

It's awesome and I use it daily, mostly as a kitchen timer and for reminding me to get up and move my rear end around a bit ten minutes before every full hour :v:

I can't remember where I read it but I saw someone who said that the first time everyone on a plane stands up at the same time, exactly 50 minutes after the hour, the flight crew is going to have a heart attack.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
Just a reminder to all those people saying stuff like "oh, I don't use it as much but it's definitely useful to have, I use the timer function on it a lot" that you spent $600+ on this thing.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

coldplay chiptunes posted:

Just a reminder to all those people saying stuff like "oh, I don't use it as much but it's definitely useful to have, I use the timer function on it a lot" that you spent $600+ on this thing.

Just a reminder to you that no one actually said that?

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Feenix posted:

Just a reminder to you that no one actually said that?

Zwille posted:

It's awesome and I use it daily, mostly as a kitchen timer and for reminding me to get up and move my rear end around a bit ten minutes before every full hour :v: But getting text messages on my wrist is great too, as is using it for logging workouts. I find myself fiddling around with my phone less and less and just leaving it somewhere in the house like others said.

I think the kitchen timer might actually be my single most used feature of the watch.

I wish the glances were more interactive and that third-party apps weren't so terribly slow to load if at all loading, but that really doesn't bother me much as the native apps work great and cover most of my needs.
:confused:

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

And a nice mechanical watch that just tells the time costs more than that?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Look at this poor, upset he doesn't have the money to buy a cool watch.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I'm really happy with it. I have slowly raised my daily calorie goal so I either have to walk for an hour or go to the gym to reach it. That's probably a success story for the fitness part. Today I told Siri to text my brother and the first suggested text was "Happy Birthday!", I don't exactly know the process that let it know today was my brothers birthday but that was cool. Also Apple Pay owns bones when places support it.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Not one person in here said the didn't use it much. One guy you quoted said he used it daily, MOSTLY for timers, but also for other things.

So... I guess I can see how you are confused, since you're misunderstanding and misrepresenting. Happy to help you to understand, though. :)

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Feenix posted:

Not one person in here said the didn't use it much. One guy you quoted said he used it daily, MOSTLY for timers, but also for other things.

So... I guess I can see how you are confused, since you're misunderstanding and misrepresenting. Happy to help you to understand, though. :)
You seem to have misread my initial quote. I clearly typed "don't use it AS much". I can see how you'd be confused here though. No worries, it's a simple mistake on your part.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

You seem to have misread my initial quote. I clearly typed "don't use it AS much". I can see how you'd be confused here though. No worries, it's a simple mistake on your part.

You know full well you were (and are) being an rear end. Don't start splitting bullshit hairs because you were called out on it. It lacks class.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

$600? I wish.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

So he watch uses wifi or Bluetooth depending on distance, or what?

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Aphrodite posted:

So he watch uses wifi or Bluetooth depending on distance, or what?
Correct. It defaults to Bluetooth when near to conserve power.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Mulva posted:

$600? I wish.

Okay, did you actually buy an Edition or has this just been a months-long troll?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe
"Are you a cop? Because if you're a cop you have to tell me."

• Locked thread