Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature
Judging from the JSA tie-in, the OMAC robots are a shameless rip-off of the Fury from Alan Moore's run on Captain Britain. And if they're even half as loving terrifying as the original, they should make for great villains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Die Laughing posted:

The book is worth reading just for the characters talking to eachother. Ralph talking to Firehawk, Superman and his mom, Ollie and Flash, Ollie and Hal, everything with Batman, even Firestorm's out of nowhere death had a good emotional punch.

I was always partial to Kyle Rayner's inner monologue about why Superman is smarter than Batman and him just agonizing over how loving crazy it is to be this young buck GL who almost instantly got to be on the JLA.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Cyphoderus posted:

Judging from the JSA tie-in, the OMAC robots are a shameless rip-off of the Fury from Alan Moore's run on Captain Britain. And if they're even half as loving terrifying as the original, they should make for great villains.

Sort of but not really https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/OMAC_(Buddy_Blank)

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Alright this is a weird question, but I'm trying to dig up some panels of Ben Grimm breaking nintendo controllers? I think this was from a book sometime in the 90s, I think he's trying to play with Franklin Richards but his big rock hands keep breaking the controllers. It's one of those emotional Ben Grimm "THIS MAN...THIS MONSTER!" moments.

I don't know where I would have seen this as I have never really read Fantastic Four comics, so maybe it was in another comic somewhere?

At least...I'm like 90% sure it was Ben. I'm going to feel loving insane if it turns out to have been Strong Guy or something.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Die Laughing posted:

Brad Meltzer is actually a really great dude, and isn't embarrassed by silver age comics in the least. He just wrote a lovely mystery that was propped up by some really great character moments. The book is worth reading just for the characters talking to eachother. Ralph talking to Firehawk, Superman and his mom, Ollie and Flash, Ollie and Hal, everything with Batman, even Firestorm's out of nowhere death had a good emotional punch.

Shame about all the Sue and Jean stuff though.

I agree with all of this. The mood and tone and dialogue was amazing. Even the setup of a superhero murder mystery was good. But there are poor moments that are never redeemed because of the really poor ending. If the payoff was good, and I'm not sure it could be, I doubt the dumb scenes would be as memorable.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Chinaman7000 posted:

If the payoff was good, and I'm not sure it could be, I doubt the dumb scenes would be as memorable.
It absolutely could have been. Jean was on our suspect list right from the first issue, and before 7 came out the list (if I remember correctly) was pretty much down to her and Ray. So Jean ending up as the murderer was playing fair with the audience, but she needed a motive. We were down on her and suspecting Ray because we couldn't think of any motive for her that'd make sense. If the ending had come out and been all "aha, here's how all these little pieces fit together to get Jean something she couldn't have until the killings started", that would have been amazing. But nope, no motive, which forces the ham-handed "I never mentioned it was poison!" discovery and the whole house of cards comes down right at the end.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Infinite Crisis was responsible for quite possibly the stupidest retcon ever. I believe they've since changed it but originally Jason Todd came back to life because Superboy Prime punched reality really hard.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
He punched a story so hard it became non-canonical.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He's the hero we all wish we could be.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

HitTheTargets posted:

He punched a story so hard it became non-canonical.

He also ripped the arm off of Risk and then at a later story removes the other one.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I agree that Identity Crisis really could have been cool, as it has a lot of neat parts to it. The problem is that so many little things could have been changed and the end result would have been a lot better. Dr. Light could have snuck on the watchtower, found Sue going over the personnel records because she wanted to send out birthday cards and just savagely beat her. He's still a threat, because he knows everyone's secret ID, and he's a douchebag because he beat the hell out of a powerless woman, more or less because he can. No need for rape. Light was never going to be a badass, but he's slightly less disgusting now.

Deathstroke taking out the whole JL in two minutes is pretty poo poo, but it could still be fixed. Instead of taking out Flash with a stationary sword, have it be some kind of proximity mine. Lantern forgetting he has a power ring is pretty blatantly stupid, but if Slade were to catch him off guard and make him the priority 1 target, then OK, maybe. But the fact that it takes 7 people to restrain him, at least one of which has enhanced strength is pretty stupid. I get it, he's a threat, but make it a little more believable.

I think even the whodunnit could be salvaged, if the motive was only slightly changed. Jean has been spending a lot of time around Sue, and she just won't shut up about 'how great her marriage is' and 'how great it is to have someone that loves her' and 'being part of the super hero family that is the Justice League' and 'Oh, by the way, I'm pregnant' (I think). And Jean goes off the deep end. Why can't she be happy again? Why doesn't anyone love her anymore? Why does Sue get all the good things happening to her? All she ever did is get attacked by some D lister. She shouldn't have even been on the watchtower in the first place. And then, just to gently caress with things even more and get back at the man who left her, she uses his tech and frames him for the murder. Forget the 'accident' angle, this was pre-meditated, petty jealousy. It's not that far from what we got. I agree the whole "what letter?" angle is old hat, but when you have a handful of magic users, a few mind readers, and at least one guy who can talk to the dead and even knows who did it, but none of the above can figure this out because of plot reasons, you might have to fall back on old things that worked in the past.

The idea of a murder mystery, taking place with super heroes, written by a guy who writes mysteries, is a really great idea. There were just so many missteps that trip it up. I think it's less bad for what it is, and more disappointing for what it could have been.

muscles like this? posted:

Infinite Crisis was responsible for quite possibly the stupidest retcon ever. I believe they've since changed it but originally Jason Todd came back to life because Superboy Prime punched reality really hard.

Yes, that was the original way they brought him back, but IIRC the current explanation is that Talia brought him to a Lazarus pit after swapping the body.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
The only real enjoyment I get out of Identity/Infinite Crisis are as lead ups to 52.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

"Sue Dibny is murdered while preparing to tell her husband she's pregnant" is never going to be a good story because it relies on making GBS threads on a character for shock value. There's not really any way you can get around that. It's a bad story and a bad end to the character not just because it is viscerally unpleasant but because it is lazy as gently caress.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Lazy but effective for large swaths of the readers.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SirDan3k posted:

Lazy but effective for large swaths of the readers.

Not really except in the barest sense. It could have been literally any character in that role. (And in fact they do basically the same thing to Lois in Injustice.) It's just plain bad writing.

It's 'effective' in that it featured a pregnant woman being murdered and her husband being sad but that is something that will get a response in any situation. It's pretty telling that a lot of defense of it boils down to "I didn't know these characters but it was sad."

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jul 22, 2015

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Yeah that's what I mean anybody that just picks it up will get sad no matter what their level of familiarity is. It can be thrown onto any character in any book and you are going to get emotional investment from 80% of people. It's kicking the dog, killing the cop three days from retirement, orphaning the child, it's just a blunt instrument that works on getting reader involved but requires no effort on the writers part.

It's poo poo but it's poo poo that people lap up.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I feel like starting off a character-heavy story that ended up being a lot of people's first exposure to the DCU or even comics altogether with an act guaranteed to get emotional investment regardless of if they knew the character before is a pretty good idea, though? Plotting-wise?

"Should it have been Sue Dibny" or "should they have added a rape in later" are different conversations (P.S. the answer is no in both cases) but, y'know... start a murder mystery with a murder that people will feel bad about. That is generally how they work.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Why is Superboy a dick in that event where he kills everyone? Like I'm sure there's a bunch of Silver Age comics where he's kinda a dick, but theoretically isn't he being raised by the same Pa and Ma Kent as normal Superman (that's a weird loving phrase "normal Superman")? I've avoided it because when it comes to superheros I've mostly read Marvel and everyone tells me Identity Crisis is poo poo.

I'm also annoyed about DC's crossover naming schemes, since they just use like five words but in different orders.

Crisis on infinite Earths
Infinite Crisis
Identity Crisis
Final Crisis
Infinite Identity
Final Crisis of Infinite Identities
Identified Infinity of Crisis, Finally

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Why is Superboy a dick in that event where he kills everyone? Like I'm sure there's a bunch of Silver Age comics where he's kinda a dick, but theoretically isn't he being raised by the same Pa and Ma Kent as normal Superman (that's a weird loving phrase "normal Superman")? I've avoided it because when it comes to superheros I've mostly read Marvel and everyone tells me Identity Crisis is poo poo.

He was trapped with Earth 2 Superman and Lois Lane along with Alexander Luther. He went insane while there and decided to punch. He was also not raised by Ma and Pa and instead raised in a world without superheroes. He was just a survivor of a destroyed world.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Skwirl posted:

I'm also annoyed about DC's crossover naming schemes, since they just use like five words but in different orders.

Crisis on infinite Earths
Infinite Crisis
Identity Crisis
Final Crisis
Infinite Identity
Final Crisis of Infinite Identities
Identified Infinity of Crisis, Finally

Nope, actually he's a total good guy in Crisis on Infinite Earths. It's being in the Paradise dimension all that time that starts it. He's bitter that he lost his universe to save everyone else's and wants to recreate it. Alexander Luthor starts showing him how everyone else is loving up the universe he sacrificed everything to save, and turns him.

Then he's kind of a moron and hurts and kills people because he doesn't know his own strength and it spirals from there.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Superboy Prime was not raised by the same Kents as every other Superman, he has a unique upbringing.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Aphrodite posted:

Then he's kind of a moron and hurts and kills people because he doesn't know his own strength and it spirals from there.

The point where that happens, I actually felt sympathetic towards him. He was being a jackass before, but something in his brain clearly broke once he realized what he'd done.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I thought he was angry because his world (and every one else's) got destroyed and the only world that survived was filled with heroes who were acting like jerks. From there he just got caught up in the moment until he fully embraced his evil side.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Madkal posted:

I thought he was angry because his world (and every one else's) got destroyed and the only world that survived was filled with heroes who were acting like jerks. From there he just got caught up in the moment until he fully embraced his evil side.

His first kill was before he reached that point.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Madkal posted:

Which was really terrible writing.

Was it the Blackest Night comic where it showed that Earth-Prime had been recreated and he got returned there? And then he spent all of his time complaining about DC comics on message boards?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

Which was really terrible writing.

Was it the Blackest Night comic where it showed that Earth-Prime had been recreated and he got returned there? And then he spent all of his time complaining about DC comics on message boards?
Final Crisis tie-in actually, Legion of Three Worlds. That was magnificent.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Jesus gently caress, from what I'm hearing "Something Something Crisis" was even worse than it sounded before.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

Jesus gently caress, from what I'm hearing "Something Something Crisis" was even worse than it sounded before.
Huh?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Superboy was poo poo and had a poo poo home life apparently.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

He had an okay home life, but his universe got destroyed by the Anti-Monitor back in the first crisis.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Yeah, he's supposed to be a somewhat tragic character -- dude is throwing around Pre-Crisis power levels in a Post-Crisis world; he doesn't mean to hurt anybody in that first fight, he's just lashing out and holy poo poo everyone is so fragile. Plus, it's important to remember that he was raised on Earth-Prime, where DC Comics are published. Nobody he's interacting with are, in his mind, really real -- they're loving comic book characters and how dare these badly-written assholes survive when his world, the only real world, got destroyed, and okay fine, if they're going to be lovely comics, he's just gonna write them better from now on. By force, if necessary.

None of that really worked, but his transformation into self-parody as the personification of Fanboy Rage ended up being hilarious and great.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Opopanax posted:

He had an okay home life, but his universe got destroyed by the Anti-Monitor back in the first crisis.

As a resident of Earth-Prime, I do not remember that happening. So I would like to thank our universe's Superboy for punching that bit of reality out of existence.

And, yes, making him a raging fanboy was a brilliant way to take it after Infinite Crisis was finished with him.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Secret Identity is an infinitely better Superboy Prime story than The Personification of Comics Self-Loathing.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Superboy Prime's story is one of those stories that seems really interesting and compelling when summarized but was utter crap to actually read.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Opopanax posted:

Was he not bullied for being a comic book nerd called Clark Kent in his own universe, or was that a retcon?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

SirDan3k posted:

Superboy Prime's story is one of those stories that seems really interesting and compelling when summarized but was utter crap to actually read.

It sounds like poo poo when summarized too. I still feel cheated of a halfway decent explanation of why Superboy Prime started killing everyone, but I think that's because there isn't one.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Skwirl posted:

It sounds like poo poo when summarized too. I still feel cheated of a halfway decent explanation of why Superboy Prime started killing everyone, but I think that's because there isn't one.
It was already posted on this page, though?

He didn't mean to, he was lashing out, and everyone's reaction to an already somewhat unstable teenager in the midst of an emotional breakdown turning out to be so powerful he was to Superman what Superman is to them was "gently caress this kid, let's pile on more!"

Understandably, since he'd just loving decapitated one of their friends in front of them, but still, holy poo poo, wrong idea. Like I said, he's supposed to be a tragic figure.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The original version of that page was going to have a shot of Pantha's severed head flying (a little more comically than it should have) past Red Star and Kid Wildebeest instead of the one with him looking at the blood on his hands going, "I didn't mean to do that."

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Random Stranger posted:

As a resident of Earth-Prime, I do not remember that happening. So I would like to thank our universe's Superboy for punching that bit of reality out of existence.

And, yes, making him a raging fanboy was a brilliant way to take it after Infinite Crisis was finished with him.

You're not a resident of Earth-Prime because Superboy isn't in our universe. Earth-Prime is just a universe that looks a lot like ours up until Superboy starts existing, at which point it is obviously not ours. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Are you saying that BOTH parallel universes and multiverses exist? Tell the physicists!