Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

RyokoTK posted:

MTG is so weird and complicated now that there is probably some obscure situation or ruleset where this is a useful card.

I haven't played for years and can think of a few. There's at least one card that's something like "gain 2 life when you play an Enchantment".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

what the gently caress are you all taking about

super size soft serve
Aug 28, 2011

You think I'm fat, but it's an optical illusion.

I think it's something like Yu-Gi-Oh cards, but older. Who knows?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Sormus posted:

I am sorry to be the baron of bad news, but you seem buttered, so allow me to play doubles advocate here for a moment. For all intensive purposes I think you are wrong. In an age where false morals are a diamond dozen, true virtues are a blessing in the skies, and are more than just ice king on the cake. We often put our false morality on a petal stool like a bunch of pre-Madonnas, but you all seem to be taking something very valuable for granite.

So I ask of you to mustard up all the strength you can because it is a doggy dog world out there. Although there is some merit to what you are saying it seems like you have a huge ship on your shoulder. In your argument you seem to throw everything in but the kids Nsync, and even though you are having a feel day with this I am here to bring you back into reality.

I have a sick sense when it comes to these types of things. It is almost spooky, because I cannot turn a blonde eye to these glaring flaws in your rhetoric. I have zero taller ants when it comes to people spouting out hate in the name of moral righteousness. You just need to remember what comes around is all around, and when supply and command fails you will be the first to go.

Make my words, when you get down to brass stacks it doesn't take rocket appliances to get two birds stoned at once. It's clear who makes the pants in this relationship, and sometimes you just have to swallow your prize and accept the fax, instead of making a half-harded effort. You might have to come to this conclusion through denial and error but I swear on my mother's mating name that when you put the petal to the medal you will pass with flying carpets like it's a peach of cake.

Oh look, an Eggcorn party.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Ignite Memories posted:

There are definitely decks that could use it - you'd need to be playing cards which provide a benefit when enchantments are played. Though I can't name any off the top of my head, they do exist.

There's a mechanic in the second-most-recent block that rewards you for playing enchantments, and one card specifically that says "When this or another enchantment enters the battlefield under your control, draw a card". There are also cards that trigger on the same condition and do damage to your opponent, make him discard cards... This is definitely playable. :goonsay:

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Chrpno posted:

what the gently caress are you all taking about

Some nerd thing I think.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

monkeytennis posted:

Some nerd thing I think.

lets take their lunch money

OK Some Butt Stuff
Jun 9, 2002

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

lets take their lunch money

And shove them in a locker

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.

OK Some Butt Stuff posted:

And shove them in a locker

Don't forget the swirly

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

So will the jokes take too much explanation to be funny? Because I know nothing about the game, but I'm also not a dickhead that rushes to announce that he's too cool for nerdy things

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

freeedr posted:

So will the jokes take too much explanation to be funny? Because I know nothing about the game, but I'm also not a dickhead that rushes to announce that he's too cool for nerdy things

poo poo I've played MtG on and off for a decade and I don't get most of them. :shrug:

Is it...that most of them are nonsense?

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
It said right there in the post that the cards are somewhat randomly generated. I'd want to print a few and slip them past my friends but if that's the case I'll just go with a real card:

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Arrath posted:

poo poo I've played MtG on and off for a decade and I don't get most of them. :shrug:

No, this is definitely a readable sentence and makes perfect sense you're probably missing the joke somewhere else and should keep looking

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Judge Schnoopy posted:

No, this is definitely a readable sentence and makes perfect sense you're probably missing the joke somewhere else and should keep looking

That just parses like bad grammar to me. "Whenever you cast, a creature is put into a graveyard. It deals..."

jmistajay
Aug 28, 2012

Mango chutney salsa!

Arrath posted:

The problem with MtG is that the rule set is so vast and complicated that I don't know, maybe Horshers is a thing now, and there's plenty of real Magic cards I've had to read a couple of times to parse.

The HS ones are much funnier, because with a smaller rule set it's much more obviously gibberish.

Also TAUNT TAUNT TAUNT TAUNT

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

freeedr posted:

That just parses like bad grammar to me. "Whenever you cast, a creature is put into a graveyard. It deals..."

Please diagram the second sentence on that card and enlighten me on what it's supposed to be saying. Either my brain is broken or it's total bs word salad

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Please diagram the second sentence on that card and enlighten me on what it's supposed to be saying. Either my brain is broken or it's total bs word salad

It's computer generated gibberish, the text equivalent of Google's Deep Dream Doggification software.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

May Contain Nuts
Sep 12, 2007

but still delicious

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Has Anyone Really Been Far Even as Decided to Use Even Go Want to do Look More Like

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE
Please remember not to cross your legs when wearing these sandals

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

Sormus posted:

I am sorry to be the baron of bad news, but you seem buttered, so allow me to play doubles advocate here for a moment. For all intensive purposes I think you are wrong. In an age where false morals are a diamond dozen, true virtues are a blessing in the skies, and are more than just ice king on the cake. We often put our false morality on a petal stool like a bunch of pre-Madonnas, but you all seem to be taking something very valuable for granite.

So I ask of you to mustard up all the strength you can because it is a doggy dog world out there. Although there is some merit to what you are saying it seems like you have a huge ship on your shoulder. In your argument you seem to throw everything in but the kids Nsync, and even though you are having a feel day with this I am here to bring you back into reality.

I have a sick sense when it comes to these types of things. It is almost spooky, because I cannot turn a blonde eye to these glaring flaws in your rhetoric. I have zero taller ants when it comes to people spouting out hate in the name of moral righteousness. You just need to remember what comes around is all around, and when supply and command fails you will be the first to go.

Make my words, when you get down to brass stacks it doesn't take rocket appliances to get two birds stoned at once. It's clear who makes the pants in this relationship, and sometimes you just have to swallow your prize and accept the fax, instead of making a half-harded effort. You might have to come to this conclusion through denial and error but I swear on my mother's mating name that when you put the petal to the medal you will pass with flying carpets like it's a peach of cake.

worse than Korgan

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

May Contain Nuts posted:

Has Anyone Really Been Far Even as Decided to Use Even Go Want to do Look More Like

Oh, now you've done it.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
You knew, deep in your heart, that it had to be done.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

You knew, deep in your heart, that it had to be done.

no it didnt

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?
Normal people can't tell the fake gay magic cards from the real ones.

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.

freeedr posted:

I typed up a bunch of stuff before I had a moment of self awareness wherein I realized nobody gives a poo poo, but suffice it to say that you're wrong. It is procedurally generated nonsense, as has been posted several times in this thread already.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

grumplestiltzkin posted:

I typed up a bunch of stuff before I had a moment of self awareness wherein I realized nobody gives a poo poo, but suffice it to say that you're wrong. It is procedurally generated nonsense, as has been posted several times in this thread already.

I know it's computer-generated nonsense; the poster who originally posted it said so. I was elaborating on why I wasn't sure if there was more to it that was funny and why I asked if there was any further explanation, since I had no knowledge of the context of the card game.

Also, [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/6vf5uSf.jpg[IMG]

modedit: poo poo. use timg tags people.

Somebody has a new favorite as of 12:37 on Jul 23, 2015

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

freeedr posted:

I know it's computer-generated nonsense; the poster who originally posted it said so. I was elaborating on why I wasn't sure if there was more to it that was funny and why I asked if there was any further explanation, since I had no knowledge of the context of the card game.

Also,

4 - Tables

Also, I think what's happening on that card, and some of the others, is it's taking mechanics that contain the same phrase and figuring it can stick them together.

"Whenever you cast a creature" + "a creature is put into a graveyard" becomes "whenever you cast a creature is put into a graveyard."

E: More accurately. It doesn't know what any mechanics are, it just knows that there are lots of times in the data set that specific words follow each other. When you have a word that appears in lots of different mechanics, like "creature," the program switches in the middle.

Not My Leg has a new favorite as of 18:27 on Jul 23, 2015

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
If the magic derail keeps going this thread is gonna be unhinged and unglued very soon

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I have literally no idea how nerd wizard poker works but I found the idea of a card whose only function is giving you that card to be somewhat amusing.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
E: Misread.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

I have literally no idea how nerd wizard poker works but I found the idea of a card whose only function is giving you that card to be somewhat amusing.

It's worse than that: When you play it, it goes straight back into your hand so you can play it again, forever. Except you have limited resources to play it, so no infinite loop. It's still probably worth playing in some contexts though...

Dickey Butts
Feb 3, 2008

Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Doggoku. The Dogge Elemental. To pact with it you must give it your pettes.

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
Just came back from Zambia.

Looks legit.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

BonHair posted:

It's worse than that: When you play it, it goes straight back into your hand so you can play it again, forever. Except you have limited resources to play it, so no infinite loop. It's still probably worth playing in some contexts though...

Storm count :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The only Magic card I know of is that one that was banned from tournaments because it allows you to summon infinite rats. Elves and kobolds and giants and elementals, all buried under endless rats.

• Locked thread