Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

What the gently caress?! :psyduck: How did poo poo like this make it to production? Does nobody see the problem with this? It's insane.

It was on the C6 Corvette in 2006. Did you miss that news article recently where someone managed to get locked in with a dead battery and died because they couldn't figure out a cable release?

Yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Looking to see what's out there for old subies and...

RUNS GOOD, GOOD AC,TEMP GAUGE NOT POINTING TO HOT AT ALL WHY DO YOU ASK?

e: RKB LUXURY MOTORS are so proud to present this CARFAX CERTIFIED 2004 SUBARU OUTBACK Limited AWD Wagon. Well maintained vehicle, runs and drives excellent, without any issues. Extra clean Interior, tires are almost new. Stop by and take a look at this beauty. EXTENDED WARRANTY AVAILABLE UP TO 48 MONTHS

:lol:

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Nodoze posted:

iDrive has a light warning notice where it will tell you that one of them isn't functioning

Its even better when you use a cheap bulb you found in your tool box in your license plate light and it still chimes. I ended up just stopping at NAPA and buying another bulb to shut the drat thing up.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Nodoze posted:

This part actually exists now

Which part, paying the dealer $50 to replace a light bulb or $75 to plug a scanner in and push two buttons allowing the ECU/GEM to turn the headlight back on?

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Geoj posted:

Which part, paying the dealer $50 to replace a light bulb or $75 to plug a scanner in and push two buttons allowing the ECU/GEM to turn the headlight back on?

Yes

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

kastein posted:

make/model/year? Now I'm curious.

I'm betting it's because they ran the data bus wiring into the device, right by the transceiver, and then out of it again to reduce stub length and improve signal integrity. Or because you got unlucky and that was one of the endpoints of the bus and had the terminator resistor built in. But could easily be wrong.

Only vehicle I can remember pulling the dash out of recently (and putting it back in) was the 1991 Miata but that seems too stupid for Mazda.

Googling around a bit it looks like it was the Miata. If the dimmer isn't plugged in there's no dash lights at all. I swear the gauges didn't work but I'm probably remembering wrong.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
All this talk reminds me of something I noticed in the rental Civic I had earlier this month.

The center info screen had like three pages. The first was car info, like fuel economy and stuff. The second was media. The third was a loving advertisement for the dealership it was purchased from, complete with 1-800 number.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

NitroSpazzz posted:

Only vehicle I can remember pulling the dash out of recently (and putting it back in) was the 1991 Miata but that seems too stupid for Mazda.

Googling around a bit it looks like it was the Miata. If the dimmer isn't plugged in there's no dash lights at all. I swear the gauges didn't work but I'm probably remembering wrong.

I had the exact same thing happen the first time I pulled the dash in my 86 Celica. Buttoned it back up and no dash lights. Since I'd replaced most of the dashboard wiring harness I was making GBS threads bricks thinking that I had got a bad harness or hosed up a splice, but it turns out I'd just forgot to plug that fuckin dimmer switch in.

I'm fairly certain drat near every car that was made before 2000-something works the same way.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Terrible Robot posted:

I had the exact same thing happen the first time I pulled the dash in my 86 Celica. Buttoned it back up and no dash lights. Since I'd replaced most of the dashboard wiring harness I was making GBS threads bricks thinking that I had got a bad harness or hosed up a splice, but it turns out I'd just forgot to plug that fuckin dimmer switch in.

I'm fairly certain drat near every car that was made before 2000-something works the same way.

...why is it at all surprising that every light the dimmer controls won't go on if the dimmer isn't connected?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

CornHolio posted:

Fellow homeowners: I may or may not have bought snake oil.

I was going to get an expensive water softener installed. The company that installed it went over my options, and one that they liked was an EasywaterEasywater saltless water conditioning system.

Looking over the brochure it looked pretty awesome. Somehow it breaks up the sediments in water enough so it doesn't accumulate anywhere in your system. It doesn't soften the water, so no salt to buy and no salt to put back into the environment. Doesn't have that weird feeling salt water has as well. But it's still better for appliances and stuff.

Looking at it, it looks like it's just some powered wiring that wraps around my copper pipe.

It was cheaper than the water softener and I have a year to say "this sucks, please uninstall it and give me my moneys back." Looking around online, there seem to be a lot of people praising the system and an equal number of people calling it a sham - the problem is, most of the people calling it a sham think it's meant to soften the water. Which, filtering those out, seems like it would skew in favor of the system being legit.

Thoughts? Did I make a poorly-informed purchase?

Is there time to back out of this and save your money? Because a coil around your water pipe in a saltless water softener is pure woo.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Sigma X posted:

...why is it at all surprising that every light the dimmer controls won't go on if the dimmer isn't connected?

It isn't?

My post wasn't meant to sound like I was confused by this, just sharing an anecdote of a time when a similar thing happened to me.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

This is magnificent.

Finished The Martian the other night. Good book! He managed to impart satisfactory technical detail, without being dry and boring, and add excitement.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

You know, going into work an hour early is all fun and games until you realize you gotta go to bed when it's still bright outside.

I know, right?
'S why I don't go into work early... Well, that, and I'm lazy.

Tusen Takk posted:

http://www.wired.com/2015/07/hackers-remotely-kill-jeep-highway/

lol FCA

edit: whoops i guess kastein beat me to it in the terrible car thread

Holy poo poo.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Tide posted:

Yup. My '14 Fusion has it and I absofuckinglutely hate it. It's a bit unnerving to say the least.

I also have a '15 Focus and am pretttty sure that pulling the handle mechanically unlocks the door like my BMW and old VW and my mom's minivan and a crapload of other cars I've driven.

I'll pull the battery this afternoon and try, and will report back if it truly is that scary.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

CountOfNowhere posted:

I'll pull the battery this afternoon and try, and will report back if it truly is that scary.

The scenario, however unlikely it is to occur, that worries me is this: car is operating (i.e. i'm driving it), getting into a wreck that *somehow* severs the battery connection possibly leaving the battery locks engaged. Admittedly, the perfect storm of that happening is a snowballs chance in hell.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Sigma X posted:

Counterpoint: in my Crown Vic, with Ford's lovely Lighting Control Module, the park and headlights TURN ON if the headlight switch is disconnected. I think the dash and dome lights still work if the dimmer is disconnected (separate plug), haven't checked that part. Just noticed that the lights come on and the dinger goes nuts when you unplug the switch.
Also, the signal and hazard flasher is built into the LCM, so I have to do a little hackery to make my blinkers work normally after installing LEDs. Basically, bypass the LCM and use and external flasher. They also love to burn out the internal relay for the headlights (and for the blinkers, occasionally), necessitating replacement of a $300 LCM, rather than a $2 relay. Enterprising Panther owners have fixed this with another bit of hackery: extending the wiring for the relay outside the module and using a standard Bosch-style automotive relay.

At least my radio can't kill the whole car.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Tide posted:

The scenario, however unlikely it is to occur, that worries me is this: car is operating (i.e. i'm driving it), getting into a wreck that *somehow* severs the battery connection possibly leaving the battery locks engaged. Admittedly, the perfect storm of that happening is a snowballs chance in hell.

If it is anything like the other cars I've owned, the handle pull will override all and unlock the door, mechanically - no electronics required. I can believe Ford would gently caress up any number of safety things... we shall see.

My Guantanamo bottle opener is apparently in my mailbox right now so perhaps I will leave a bit early to get that + test my Fuckis' locks.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Satan

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Yeah?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

CornHolio posted:

All this talk reminds me of something I noticed in the rental Civic I had earlier this month.

The center info screen had like three pages. The first was car info, like fuel economy and stuff. The second was media. The third was a loving advertisement for the dealership it was purchased from, complete with 1-800 number.

My CR-V has the option to set a wallpaper - so I'm not the least bit surprised to hear a dealership spending five minutes with a USB key to pre-set an ad page on the car before it goes out the door.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Nodoze posted:

iDrive has a light warning notice where it will tell you that one of them isn't functioning

To be fair BMW was doing this waaaayyyyyyyyy before iDrive. "Check Control"

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

:frogsiren:Just got my official job offer:frogsiren:

Going to throw a brick through my current boss' window with "I quit" written on it.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

IOwnCalculus posted:

It was on the C6 Corvette in 2006. Did you miss that news article recently where someone managed to get locked in with a dead battery and died because they couldn't figure out a cable release?

Yeah.

More recently too. http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2015/06/11/texas-man-dog-die-trapped-corvette/71053474/

:(

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

SFH1989 posted:

:frogsiren:Just got my official job offer:frogsiren:

Going to throw a brick through my current boss' window with "I quit" written on it.

Or bake a cake.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Would only be more perfect if the brown trail was in the shape of a dong or spelled "I QUIT".

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That's the one I was thinking of, though I know there were incidents (not necessarily fatalities) beforehand.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

CountOfNowhere posted:

If it is anything like the other cars I've owned, the handle pull will override all and unlock the door, mechanically - no electronics required. I can believe Ford would gently caress up any number of safety things... we shall see.

Pulling the inside door handle in my Fit will not unlock the door. I have to push the unlock button or pull up on the lock knob thing first if I want to open the door. At least they used real airbags :shrug:

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Darchangel posted:

Finished The Martian the other night. Good book! He managed to impart satisfactory technical detail, without being dry and boring, and add excitement.

It's like Michael Crichton lite. I really enjoyed it too even though it repeatedly followed the same formula. The problem solving was good and the main character seemed human.

We had to go out of town yesterday. The washer fluid light on the XJ was flickering sometimes so that was the first thing I went to check. Except first thing I noticed was the radiator cap was missing. I dumped about 4L of water in before the radiator was full. Not good. Got a replacement cap from a nearby mechanic but still what the hell.

Its been running fine, no temperature issues and the heater was still working too.

Really weird thing is after getting the new cap it's been running well and the CEL for the O2 sensor hasn't come on.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Geoj posted:

All the above. I been bitten by that on my 2010 Commodore. EVERYTHING connected to CANBUS on my car has to be authorised by the main computer before it will work, so for instance the fuel pump died, it PLUS the ecu controlling it had to be replaced AND then the main computer told this was the new fuel pump so please let it work. And no, just replacing the physical hardware wasn't allowed by the ECU, it detected the hardware change.

I know of someone who had his ute blow a taillight, cost 300 to replace at the dealer. And yes, most of that was the dealer charging to reauthorise the new light on the ECU.

I've made a mental note to never buy a new car again, this poo poo is hosed up.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Geirskogul THANK YOU!

My keychains just showed up and they are glorious.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Sigma X posted:

Had the same reaction.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
So an ambulance comes screeching up to the ER, and the paramedics jump out and begin wheeling the patient in.  Turns out he's a well known famous comedian who's been in a car accident, and his arm had been amputated traumatically.  He was in stable condition, but EMTS being who they are, were cracking jokes left and right as they wheel the man to surgery.  The attending surgeon casts them a death glare, and says "Seriously you guys need to stop.  I just can't find this humerus."

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

my second AI bottle opener keychain. It's good.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

14 INCH SLIT posted:

So an ambulance comes screeching up to the ER, and the paramedics jump out and begin wheeling the patient in.  Turns out he's a well known famous comedian who's been in a car accident, and his arm had been amputated traumatically.  He was in stable condition, but EMTS being who they are, were cracking jokes left and right as they wheel the man to surgery.  The attending surgeon casts them a death glare, and says "Seriously you guys need to stop.  I just can't find this humerus."
Excellent joke!

Fwiw EMT and paramedic are two different things (well, EMT and EMT-P), and it was probably one of each, a common combination. That said, we're a snarky bunch, and the joke works because it probably happened for real.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

I need one of those con-rod bottle openers :(

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

CountOfNowhere posted:

my second AI bottle opener keychain. It's good.

It don't gitmo better! :v:

Got called in on my day off; so far I've not had a day off in a while now. Had to change a battery in a BMW first thing out in the rain this morning, too. At least my next paycheck will (hopefully) be fat with overtime money. And I'm trying my hand at making kimchi tonight.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I too got my bottle opener and I have no loving bottles to open with it god drat it.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Rhyno posted:

I too got my bottle opener and I have no loving bottles to open with it god drat it.

It's not like you live in a dry county :getin:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Geirskogul posted:

It's not like you live in a dry county :getin:

I already took my pants off!

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Spent a couple hours cleaning all the mud out of the Vibe that had been tracked in by a prospective buyer (why they were muddy is a long story, the end of that story is they didn't buy my car), said gently caress everything and drove it up to the auction today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I already took my pants off!

no excuse

• Locked thread