Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Ugh, loving Necrophobes. I finally at the end of the road, but this jerk kills me in two turns. My party of Red Mage, Monk, Bard, and Dragoon always gets wiped the second round of attacks by the crystals. I really don't want to do the long rear end track to Exdeath due to this jerk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psychologymonth
Aug 10, 2006
Dolphins are always plotting

Rirse posted:

Ugh, loving Necrophobes. I finally at the end of the road, but this jerk kills me in two turns. My party of Red Mage, Monk, Bard, and Dragoon always gets wiped the second round of attacks by the crystals. I really don't want to do the long rear end track to Exdeath due to this jerk.

If you can get the timing down to jump over the barriers' magic attacks, they run out of MP in a few rounds. Then you're free buff with Bard forever while Necro just sits there doing nothing.

Now my problem: Does anyone know why !releasing three Yellow Dragons on Exdeath in world 2 isn't working for me? The algorithm guide says it should hit automatically, but in practice it seems to be working for me about 1 in 9 times. I'm using the iOS version if that helps.

E: In case anyone is wondering, the reason it's 3 and not 4 is because of a 'Zerker. Zerk and Beastmaster do NOT get along, by the way.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

psychologymonth posted:

Now my problem: Does anyone know why !releasing three Yellow Dragons on Exdeath in world 2 isn't working for me? The algorithm guide says it should hit automatically, but in practice it seems to be working for me about 1 in 9 times. I'm using the iOS version if that helps.

Quite a few things don't work on Heavy enemies in the mobile version, this being one of them.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

psychologymonth posted:

If you can get the timing down to jump over the barriers' magic attacks, they run out of MP in a few rounds. Then you're free buff with Bard forever while Necro just sits there doing nothing.

E: In case anyone is wondering, the reason it's 3 and not 4 is because of a 'Zerker. Zerk and Beastmaster do NOT get along, by the way.

Yeah that what I ended up doing, along with using two casts of the Magic Lamp, which allowed the Dragoon and Monk to pick off the barriers. After the last one ran out of MP I just left the bards to sing for a while, and did 9999 damage in just one punch from the Monk to his face.

[edit] I beat Exdeath with only Bartz left due to meteor wiping the others. But print screen got a black screen! What should I sent to Gilgabot instead since I don't have the death screen?

Rirse fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jul 21, 2015

psychologymonth
Aug 10, 2006
Dolphins are always plotting

OzFactor posted:

Quite a few things don't work on Heavy enemies in the mobile version, this being one of them.

That's weird though, because it's not that it doesn't work at all, it just USUALLY misses. Either way, that settles it; I'm going emulator next year. I'm missing out on way too many exploitables by using this stupid streamlined, balanced, decently-translated version. And to make matters worse, I raced through the barrier tower like a doofus because of course I don't need to stop and farm any wall rings! I'll be able to dish out like 25,000 HP of damage at the beginning of the fight with Exdeath! Whoops. Ended up having to slug it out, but 8 elixirs later I'm home free.

Rirse posted:

[edit] I beat Exdeath with only Bartz left due to meteor wiping the others. But print screen got a black screen! What should I sent to Gilgabot instead since I don't have the death screen?

At the end of the closing cinematic, the game shows portraits of your final party; those might work in a pinch. Despite being utterly devoid of mercy, Gilgabot is usually pretty understanding about that kind of thing.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

psychologymonth posted:

That's weird though, because it's not that it doesn't work at all, it just USUALLY misses. Either way, that settles it; I'm going emulator next year. I'm missing out on way too many exploitables by using this stupid streamlined, balanced, decently-translated version. And to make matters worse, I raced through the barrier tower like a doofus because of course I don't need to stop and farm any wall rings! I'll be able to dish out like 25,000 HP of damage at the beginning of the fight with Exdeath! Whoops. Ended up having to slug it out, but 8 elixirs later I'm home free.

At the end of the closing cinematic, the game shows portraits of your final party; those might work in a pinch. Despite being utterly devoid of mercy, Gilgabot is usually pretty understanding about that kind of thing.

Yeah I used the group shot of the four party in their jobs, which seem to worked as it now flagged as a victory.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
It's definitely possible that it just has low accuracy against Heavies, whereas it's a guaranteed hit in the other versions. Chemist's Succubus Kiss is another thing that doesn't seem to hit Heavies but I swear I saw it hit Gilgamesh once, so maybe it doesn't never hit.

I'm on my fourth run now and the only thing that really continues to bother me about the iOS version is that I am sick of these drat cutscenes. I just want to skip them, man, I've beaten this game three times in a row (actually four because I did a practice run). Everybody just *nods* all the time. There's so much nodding in this game.

Zone of Danger
Apr 21, 2010
Having a hard time with Atomos, WHM/DRG/BST/BER. Is there an obvious catch that could help me there or do I just need more levels?

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Nothing special to it, really. Just come into the battle with one person dead and have the rest of the party bring as much damage as possible. When that person is near his mouth, Raise them and have someone else killed. If need be you can capture some Yellow Dragons and later release them, but that shouldn't be necessary if your levels aren't terrible. What's your level, anyway?

Zone of Danger
Apr 21, 2010

NGDBSS posted:

Nothing special to it, really. Just come into the battle with one person dead and have the rest of the party bring as much damage as possible. When that person is near his mouth, Raise them and have someone else killed. If need be you can capture some Yellow Dragons and later release them, but that shouldn't be necessary if your levels aren't terrible. What's your level, anyway?

All at 24 at the moment.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

So yeah, I'm just... not going to worry about getting Dark Matter, because every method of getting it is a huge pain in the rear end. I'm already at a higher level then I wanted just by getting turtle shells and dragon fangs.

JamesBCrazy
Jul 1, 2014

Vengeance is a sucker's game.

Nihilarian posted:

So yeah, I'm just... not going to worry about getting Dark Matter, because every method of getting it is a huge pain in the rear end. I'm already at a higher level then I wanted just by getting turtle shells and dragon fangs.

Who needs Dark Matter anyway? Everything vulnerable to Antilixir or Death Potion is beatable with cheaper options and you won't be using Shadowflare unless you're fighting Omega.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Zone of Danger posted:

All at 24 at the moment.
Yeah, you should be fine with the above method.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

JamesBCrazy posted:

Who needs Dark Matter anyway? Everything vulnerable to Antilixir or Death Potion is beatable with cheaper options and you won't be using Shadowflare unless you're fighting Omega.

Eh, I like having 5 for the Void just to murder the barriers on Necrophobe/Twintania quick and painlessly.

That said who loving uses Shadowflare? You use Turtle Soup to neuter his defenses (6 of em reduces his MDef to 2) and then use Succubus Kiss.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Due to being dumb, I missed the world map in the ship graveyard AND the fire ship. What now? :(
edit: I went straight to crescent island when looking for jackhole, and the fire ship sank. A guy in town was like, "yeah ships sink here lol what can I say"
edit2: went back to ship graveyard and got it, whew.

redreader fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jul 22, 2015

JamesBCrazy
Jul 1, 2014

Vengeance is a sucker's game.

Kyrosiris posted:

Eh, I like having 5 for the Void just to murder the barriers on Necrophobe/Twintania quick and painlessly.

That said who loving uses Shadowflare? You use Turtle Soup to neuter his defenses (6 of em reduces his MDef to 2) and then use Succubus Kiss.

Shadowflare and Succubus Kiss are basically interchangeable if you're already at full HP. If you have a fuckton of Dark Matters like most newbie Chemist users, this is the best chance to use them.

(Or if you have a Monk, you can Dark Breath or something. It's probably not a good idea though.)

redreader posted:

Due to being dumb, I missed the world map in the ship graveyard AND the fire ship. What now? :(
edit: I went straight to crescent island when looking for jackhole, and the fire ship sank. A guy in town was like, "yeah ships sink here lol what can I say"

Don't worry, it's not permanently missable. I forget where it is next - maybe the library?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

JamesBCrazy posted:

Don't worry, it's not permanently missable. I forget where it is next - maybe the library?

Castle Surgate for some insane reason. Once you get into the Catapult, though, you can head back into the fire-powered ship and grab it.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
Decided to put down the Pokemon and make some more progress on my 6th run of Blue/Zerk/White/Bard. As I predicted, this team is effectively garbage at damage dealing for the moment. I wanted to try and beat down the Dragon Grass boss, but considering my best non-Zerk options for damage were Aera and Flamethrower for about 200-250 damage a pop, I eventually said screw it and Death Claw'd his... well, plants don't really have asses, but you get what I mean.

Barrier Tower is going to be a bitch, especially if I want to farm Reflect Rings.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?
Thief - Monk - Mystic Knight - Dancer. At least I get my monk early, right? It'll make grinding gil to get elemental rings for sword healing that much easier!

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
White Mage / Black Mage / Ninja / Monk

Just downed Shinryu, and thinking Omega is nigh impossible. Can avoid Rocket Punch on WHM and BLM with Lamia's Tiaras, and NIN or MNK with Bone Mail (I'm not rare stealing a 2nd one with the Thief Knife). Flame Rings on everyone will help. Otherwise I just have to get extraordinarily lucky right? Or should I even bother?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Bregor posted:

Just downed Shinryu, and thinking Omega is nigh impossible. Can avoid Rocket Punch on WHM and BLM with Lamia's Tiaras, and NIN or MNK with Bone Mail (I'm not rare stealing a 2nd one with the Thief Knife). Flame Rings on everyone will help. Otherwise I just have to get extraordinarily lucky right? Or should I even bother?

Yeah, that's the sort of team that I just wouldn't bother with. It'd arguably be doable but you'd need like... a tanker ship full of elixir and a lot of luck.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Yeah I tried it a bunch of times and gave up.

And with that...

Run #4: Random - White Mage / Black Mage / Ninja / Monk

Meh. It wasn't a hard Fiesta run, but it wasn't terribly exciting either. Actually this may have been the biggest roadblock. Monk was a drag, especially considering it was my Earth Crystal job. Eventually just gave him !White and used him as a healbot.

So.. the jobs I haven't had yet are Blue Mage, Summoner, Beastmaster, Bard, Dancer, and Dragoon. A run with four of those would be pretty sweet IMO. Gonna take a little break and probably re-reg next week.

EDIT: Thanks to the advice of derra this run is a triple crown too! :woop:

Bregor fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jul 22, 2015

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Bregor posted:

Can't you reflect 3 people and cast Thundagas to avoid Rocket Punch alltogether? Should do good damage so you wouldn't have to survive that long. I'd wear Hermes instead of Reflect rings, in the first couple of turns concentrate on putting up some reflects / healing with elixirs then burst him down once set up?

Bregor
May 31, 2013

derra posted:

Can't you reflect 3 people and cast Thundagas to avoid Rocket Punch alltogether? Should do good damage so you wouldn't have to survive that long. I'd wear Hermes instead of Reflect rings, in the first couple of turns concentrate on putting up some reflects / healing with elixirs then burst him down once set up?

Yeah I put up Reflect for bouncing Thundagas, but I was just getting too many Mustard Bombs and Encircles to really make much headway. I'd rather just process this team and move on.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Bregor posted:

Yeah I put up Reflect for bouncing Thundagas, but I was just getting too many Mustard Bombs and Encircles to really make much headway. I'd rather just process this team and move on.

Oh I hear you, I know I'm more stubborn on this than most. It was my understanding that if you only cast 3 reflects, so one of your characters gets hit, he doesn't counter at all, so you take out mustard bomb &encircle completely.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

derra posted:

Oh I hear you, I know I'm more stubborn on this than most. It was my understanding that if you only cast 3 reflects, so one of your characters gets hit, he doesn't counter at all, so you take out mustard bomb &encircle completely.

:aaaaa:

Just tried it and you're right. Gonna give it the old college try.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

gently caress YEAH GOT EM

Not having to deal with the counters is really helpful!

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Bregor posted:

gently caress YEAH GOT EM

Not having to deal with the counters is really helpful!

Grats! Glad to help!

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I've finished run #2 with Black Mage/Berserker/Geomancer/Samurai.

I had to level up just a bit to beat NED, because I couldn't keep up with only one controllable character after eating Almagest, and I couldn't damage the part fast enough to prevent the first one from happening. Having a second person who could throw Elixirs around made the difference, and I was able to burn him down pretty quickly afterwards.

I finished it on a GBASP, so the pics are a little fuzzy.

I think I'm going to take a break from the Fiesta for a little while and explore the GBA bonus dungeon. I understand I need a few more jobs to do some of the puzzles. That's fine. I stayed on top of missable songs and summons... The only thing I didn't go out of my way to get was Blue magic, but I think all the best stuff can be found somewhere in World 3. (Uh oh! I might not get Aera!)

The Wu-Tang Secret
Nov 28, 2004

Seravadon posted:

Run #7 is off to a good start!

If only X JAKK had made Awful Fantasy V, we could all be fiesta-ing that.

Every Chemist mix would just be replaced with TCC.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

...Cut it a little close on the most recent run. Was only level 24/25, so relied on one guy blocking two Almaghests to even get that far, and since I was such a low level, I couldn't use Zeninage for actual damage, and my Meteors didn't spread out their damage enough and I ate one of his. Chose to be a man and Quick/Meteo/Meteo instead of trying to heal, and it paid off.

Triple Crown with Quickleak and Power Staff, too.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Do I have any way of getting Mighty Guard if the Dancing Dagger is my only confuse? (Knight / Blue / Ninja / Thief)

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

You can get every Blue Magic spell with any source of confuse. You just have to wait longer for some of them.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
So I started a third run even though I didn't plan on doing it, but whatever...

...Mystic Knight + Ranger so far :getin:

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
I don't think anything that actually has it in its script (Azulmagia and Shinryuu only as far as I can tell) can be charmed. Am I looking in the wrong place?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

OzFactor posted:

I don't think anything that actually has it in its script (Azulmagia and Shinryuu only as far as I can tell) can be charmed. Am I looking in the wrong place?

You can get it from the Stingray in the World 3 ocean above the Walse Tower.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Do confused enemies use things that are only on their Control list? I thought they only use their scripted attacks.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

OzFactor posted:

Do confused enemies use things that are only on their Control list? I thought they only use their scripted attacks.

Stingray will use mighty guard if confused, but he's level 93 so it will take some work.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

OzFactor posted:

FFV Algorithm FAQ posted:

On monsters, it overrides their AI script. They will not follow any React scripts or Condition scripts and overrides being Flirted as well. They will randomly do one of the attacks that are listed under "Control" in the Monster Data section. They will target a random enemy (healing spells will be cast on a random party member).
Also, though you don't have to worry about it with Stingray, you should make sure they have enough MP if the move you're shooting for uses any.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Having waited several hours for Omniscient to run out of MP on my first run, Silence !Spellblade !Rapid Firing him to death with the Chicken Knife in the space of a minute on my second is oddly cathartic.

• Locked thread