Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah the game starts you off with like 2 moves so you have all the time in the world to learn how to play keyboard piano as you progress. Lots of those buttons are for unnecessary stuff too, like dance emotes and fracture

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

You're forgetting the potency from the application, champ.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Doublestep posted:

You're forgetting the potency from the application, champ.

Oh man that dps increase of 12 over 18s. God like ability.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

You're missing the 100 potency initial hit.

Bazanga posted:

I've been watching streams of this game after playing a bit of the trial and holy poo poo buttons. Seems like everyone has 36-48 buttons bound to hotkeys and it looks like they are using all of them. Is that common? How many buttons do you end up having to use regularly in combat?

Depends on the class, for example I have around 20 buttons I'm actually hitting on a regular basis as Bard and then a variety of things that are utility or use once/twice a fight etc.

Also the big new raid just came out so 90% of the streamers are top-tier raiders so of course they're going to have everything imaginable hotkeyed

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Doublestep posted:

goddamn thats memory intensive

Again, they've been trying to figure out how to squeeze in TP display for 2 years now and are just now going to have something Soon. So yes, it kind of is because the PS3 is literally six Pentium IIIs duct taped together and like 2 kilobytes of RAM and the UI process gets a fraction of that. The Brewmaster themself has a more detailed display as well, which probably wouldn't fit.

Act like a dick all you want, doesn't change the fact that they outright said that it's a huge struggle to get even the tiniest doohickey added to the PS3 UI, and that is a limitation to contend with when designing new classes.

Spoz
May 25, 2006

Tenzarin posted:

Oh man that dps increase of 12 over 18s. God like ability.

Keep at it.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

Boten Anna posted:

Again, they've been trying to figure out how to squeeze in TP display for 2 years now and are just now going to have something Soon. So yes, it kind of is because the PS3 is literally six Pentium IIIs duct taped together and like 2 kilobytes of RAM and the UI process gets a fraction of that. The Brewmaster themself has a more detailed display as well, which probably wouldn't fit.

Act like a dick all you want, doesn't change the fact that they outright said that it's a huge struggle to get even the tiniest doohickey added to the PS3 UI, and that is a limitation to contend with when designing new classes.

It's a huge struggle to add new buff icons. How did they manage it for HW?

You realize this elaborate brewmaster UI you're talking about was entirely an addon thing right? Unless they overhauled something in 6.2 you've only had stagger buffs since Monk was added a few years ago.

not a single class in this game has a unique ui element outside of buffs, i dont know why a stagger class would magically require it

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Boten Anna posted:

They could make the resolution even smaller. Does it even have to be a UI element? Just like add in some voice files "My TP is Low!". They could then map this to a button and press it!

Bazanga
Oct 10, 2006
chinchilla farmer

Mr. Nice! posted:

On my dragoon I have 3 full rows of hotbars filled up. There is one button I never use (feint), a couple of markers and pots that get rarely used, and the rest get used frequently. Just operating the base combo now I have 10 GCD skills that I cycle through for single target and two aoe GCDs with 6 or 7 buffs and 5 off GCD skills damage skills, a positional skill, and 3-4 defensive skills.

It's really not that complicated and the GCD is long enough that you have reaction time to do things, so once you're used to something it's easy. It may seem daunting but every class has a flow that is pretty easy to figure out and execute.

So for the 10 or so GCDs what type of decisions do you make to decide between them during single target dps?

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Spoz posted:

Keep at it.

The funniest part of this is that nobody even runs Fracture anymore so the dude's just randomly raging at a strawman. It was only really good on War, Monk and Pld in 2.x anyway.

EDIT: Actually monk might still, idk poo poo about monk at 60. Where's Belzac when we need him

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

bonewitch posted:

The funniest part of this is that nobody even runs Fracture anymore so the dude's just randomly raging at a strawman. It was only really good on War, Monk and Pld in 2.x anyway.

EDIT: Actually monk might still, idk poo poo about monk at 60. Where's Belzac when we need him

loving hell don't tell me this, I'm only just getting into the swing of things as 60 Monk :(

(edit) Then again my DPS numbers still aren't great, I haven't tried dummy lately but yesterday on A3 I think I got like 780? with the i180 weapon and i179 overall, which doesn't sound that good :(

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Ciaphas posted:

loving hell don't tell me this, I'm only just getting into the swing of things as Monk :(

Rage with me. I don't use the Blm class gem so I can run into melee range and fracture.

Melees should be the highest damage.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jul 23, 2015

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Bazanga posted:

So for the 10 or so GCDs what type of decisions do you make to decide between them during single target dps?

You don't. It's a pattern. Buff, Combo, Dot, Combo, buff, combo, dot, combo, buff etc. There are two different combos and you pretty much just alternate them now and they both finish with one of two skills that have a different position requirement.

Spoz
May 25, 2006

bonewitch posted:

The MNK combo is more or less unchanged excluding the addition of some OGCDs. It's pretty much right where it was before unless I'm mistaken. With how often fights force you into dropping stacks the TP cost is less of a concern as well.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Spoz posted:

The MNK combo is more or less unchanged excluding the addition of some OGCDs. It's pretty much right where it was before unless I'm mistaken. With how often fights force you into dropping stacks the TP cost is less of a concern as well.

Yeah. We haven't seen much of the savage fights (aka the only fights where max dps is actually required) though, so they might be much more TP intensive. A1 certainly seemed so.

Metallia
Sep 17, 2014

Ciaphas posted:

loving hell don't tell me this, I'm only just getting into the swing of things as 60 Monk :(

(edit) Then again my DPS numbers still aren't great, I haven't tried dummy lately but yesterday on A3 I think I got like 780? with the i180 weapon and i179 overall, which doesn't sound that good :(

That's higher than most pubs I've seen tbh and you've got a little room for improvement gearwise. Just keep it at, mastery takes time :)

Spoz
May 25, 2006

bonewitch posted:

Yeah. We haven't seen much of the savage fights (aka the only fights where max dps is actually required) though, so they might be much more TP intensive. A1 certainly seemed so.

At least on faust you'll hit the enrage before you bottom out of TP. The big guy has all those lovely jumps for you to rebuild meditation stacks and probably even get a purification in as well, and still have 5 stacks for forbidden.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I finally figured out what is frustrating me about the crafter/gather red scrip system.

A few people have been dismissing complaints by saying stuff like "Oh, it'll take you a couple months to gear up a crafting/gathering class? So it's basically just like battle classes now. Why are you complaining?" But it's not that. It's that crafter/gatherers not have to choose between gear and crafting materials. Since they both use the same currency, if you're going to gear yourself, then you're going to be giving up the chance to get crafting materials and vise versa.

It would be like if the esoterics tomestones were used for gear OR for passes to enter dungeons and you had to choose if you wanted the ability to run dungeons or the ability to get new gear.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Tenzarin posted:

They could make the resolution even smaller. Does it even have to be a UI element? Just like add in some voice files "My TP is Low!". They could then map this to a button and press it!

Maybe if they decreased the font size they could fit more documents on a floppy disk.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Boten Anna posted:

Maybe if they decreased the font size they could fit more documents on a floppy disk.

They could change the RGB of the screen. So good TP everything is green and bad tp your screen turns red.

No way that will cause seizures!

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

bonewitch posted:

It's still a DPS increase if it's used correctly, literally every fight so far has enough downtime to make TP issues non existent. I don't think I've ran out of TP yet since 3.0 except for A2 but purification goes a long way there.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I really don't like how I have to either set aside a fourth raid day to get my normal alex drops, throw myself into DF and hate myself, or be stuck doing savage at a huge gear disadvantage waiting for tomes. I hope they reconsider and for Alex 2 and let me just not do normal mode if I'm savage Alex 1 geared.

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.

bonewitch posted:

Thats false/unknown btw, nobody actually has A3 sav down yet (unless ely/lucrezia got it down in the last hour or so)

I believe we currently have 2 Elysium groups (soon to be 3) tackling A3 right now. Here's to hoping we can get world 1st!

MohShuvuu fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jul 23, 2015

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

First night in savage Alex and we one shot Faust on our dry run without food or pots. I was the last person alive and my last shot hit as I died. It was AMAZING. We're about 45 minutes in and haven't gotten to the first jump yet. There is just SO MUCH DAMAGE. SO MUCH EVERYWHERE.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Arrgytehpirate posted:

First night in savage Alex and we one shot Faust on our dry run without food or pots. I was the last person alive and my last shot hit as I died. It was AMAZING. We're about 45 minutes in and haven't gotten to the first jump yet. There is just SO MUCH DAMAGE. SO MUCH EVERYWHERE.

Faust is just Striking Dummy Extreme, the hard part is getting together 8 people who have geared up and know their basic rotation and that's pretty much it.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Mordiceius posted:

I finally figured out what is frustrating me about the crafter/gather red scrip system.

A few people have been dismissing complaints by saying stuff like "Oh, it'll take you a couple months to gear up a crafting/gathering class? So it's basically just like battle classes now. Why are you complaining?" But it's not that. It's that crafter/gatherers not have to choose between gear and crafting materials. Since they both use the same currency, if you're going to gear yourself, then you're going to be giving up the chance to get crafting materials and vise versa.

It would be like if the esoterics tomestones were used for gear OR for passes to enter dungeons and you had to choose if you wanted the ability to run dungeons or the ability to get new gear.

If this new crafting system upsets you so much why don't you just farm Red Scrips, turn that into crafting mats, then hand those mats over to a friendly crafter to make yourself an HQ set of gear that you can gradually make better than the Scrip Gear over time?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Boten Anna posted:

Faust is just Striking Dummy Extreme, the hard part is getting together 8 people who have geared up and know their basic rotation and that's pretty much it.

When can we get a savage striking dummy at the PBC house?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Boten Anna posted:

I don't even want a bar for TP. I don't even want a bar for MP. All I need is a loving percentage #, one in blue, one in orange.

Spoz
May 25, 2006

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I don't even want a bar for TP. I don't even want a bar for MP. All I need is a loving percentage #, one in blue, one in orange.

Uhhhh, what?

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

SwissArmyDruid posted:

MP is red though?

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Eej posted:

If this new crafting system upsets you so much why don't you just farm Red Scrips, turn that into crafting mats, then hand those mats over to a friendly crafter to make yourself an HQ set of gear that you can gradually make better than the Scrip Gear over time?

Because you'll have to wait for that crafter to get loaded up with scrip gear first.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

kafziel posted:

Because you'll have to wait for that crafter to get loaded up with scrip gear first.

They won't need Scrip gear either though? You can hit the Craft/Control caps with food and light melding on your white quality gear. If you run +10/+10 FC actions you don't even need to overmeld assuming you've hung onto your overmelded right side accessories from 50. There's going to be lots of people tomorrow crafting themselves a set of regular or HQ 170 crafting gear (aka every omnicrafter in PBC/DGKK/TPT) so by the time you scrape together enough Red Scrips to get mats to give to someone there'll be plenty of those people ready to take your order.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

I wonder if they are basically expecting this crafter poo poo to last the entire 3.x cycle, only adding new recipies when new ilevel tiers come out :psyduck:

Which kind of blows as far as getting crafted equipment in a reasonable amount of time for this cycle.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

It's awesome to watch Faust and the last party member die at once.

Oppressor puts out so much damage. We got to the second jump, though, so progress. What are people getting to before the second spawn? Our best run tonight I think was 63% when .5 was summoned.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
With the changes to fates in HW, what's faster for leveling your other jobs? Fates or dungeons?

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Mordiceius posted:

With the changes to fates in HW, what's faster for leveling your other jobs? Fates or dungeons?

Probably depends on class and queue times. Dungeons are really good, if you can get into an appropriate-level one instantly.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Mr. Nice! posted:

Oppressor puts out so much damage. We got to the second jump, though, so progress. What are people getting to before the second spawn? Our best run tonight I think was 63% when .5 was summoned.

You need to be at around 60 or lower to beat the enrage, Lucrezia's clear was 58

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

From what I've read, you want to get to 61% at the worst in order to pass hard enrage.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

kafziel posted:

Probably depends on class and queue times. Dungeons are really good, if you can get into an appropriate-level one instantly.
Also depends on how insane the dungeons are driving you. Churning Mists fates will be a good break from running the Vault over and over and over even if you're a tank or healer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Also depends on how insane the dungeons are driving you. Churning Mists fates will be a good break from running the Vault over and over and over even if you're a tank or healer.

Yeah. I'm leveling WHM. I've been playing AST, so my CNJ retainer is gimped at 52 right now. Guess I'll see if I can get a HW fate party so I can play more leisurely because already running Dusk Vigil once is making me want to kill myself.

• Locked thread