Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Coldbird posted:

We talked ingame (I'm playing as Omnicide) and I have been playing some since. You might get more traction posting in the Ingress thread; yes, they're cell phone games, but the core "get up and go around town IRL" gameplay is a bit far removed from anything else.

I'm still a little on the fence about this particular game - I played a lot of Ingress, and this seems to really be a game about making cement mix running all solo all the time. It's not real intuitive and seems to be all about this tradeskill type production thing which is kind of... eh I don't know.

Lacks the pace and doesn't grab you like Ingress, and doesn't really seem to take advantage of the whole "happens atop the real world" thing well. With Ingress it ties heavily into community and area knowledge, knowing your team and the patterns of the other team - but I'm having trouble seeing any kind of metagame emerging here, with no team structure and little way to keep one or two people from totally dominating an area, loving over any chance for newbies to start? Maybe I'm just not high enough to see the limits yet.

The English in the client isn't very polished and there's definitely not much of a US community yet - looking at the Atlanta map, it seems like there's probably less than ten players in the whole city - whereas it's hard to not find action in any city for Ingress, and you get tons of help as a newbie in a lot of places too.

it's def not a game that's on the level of ingress (I may actually load ingress now that I live in an neighborhood / area I can walk around in.
it's kind of a cross between an Idle Game and ingress. A lot of folks do both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
On the plus side, you don't have to deal with Ingress players.

HotBobaloo
Jun 19, 2002
Looking for friend/guild invite in dragon blaze. Account name HotBobaloo character name Gorim. Also need someone's name so I can put them in as a referral for free gems.

HotBobaloo fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jul 22, 2015

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
Gem boys has room for two. Apparently I am the guild leader now. We have about 3 goons who haven't logged in in a week as well.

Gems of War is really easy, almost too easy. But there is a lot to do; or you might say that it is very grindy. It doesn't take a whole lot of effort to get a really strong team. What does seem like way too much effort is leveling up the kingdoms.

Getting a troop to level 15 is +1 level. Which would be about 7 or 8 arena wins (64 games). Completing all the challenges is +1 level, which are boring and have bad rewards.

So you can spend a ton of time leveling up troops you don't like or use to gain a slight bonus when defending in PVP or if you happen to attack someone in that same kingdom in PVP.

If interest wanes too much I will make the guild public just to keep the roster full.

I had no idea Scrolls was even out for Android. Its too bad they're shutting it down. Seems like a solid game. I just finished the tutorial levels, and I liked the depth and complexity of the system. I have no idea what to do now, make a deck I guess? Try some PVP?

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

gromdul posted:

Gem boys has room for two. Apparently I am the guild leader now. We have about 3 goons who haven't logged in in a week as well.

Gems of War is really easy, almost too easy. But there is a lot to do; or you might say that it is very grindy. It doesn't take a whole lot of effort to get a really strong team. What does seem like way too much effort is leveling up the kingdoms.

Getting a troop to level 15 is +1 level. Which would be about 7 or 8 arena wins (64 games). Completing all the challenges is +1 level, which are boring and have bad rewards.

So you can spend a ton of time leveling up troops you don't like or use to gain a slight bonus when defending in PVP or if you happen to attack someone in that same kingdom in PVP.

If interest wanes too much I will make the guild public just to keep the roster full.

I had no idea Scrolls was even out for Android. Its too bad they're shutting it down. Seems like a solid game. I just finished the tutorial levels, and I liked the depth and complexity of the system. I have no idea what to do now, make a deck I guess? Try some PVP?

The random public guild I joined has like 2 active players. I'm going to just drop it. Invite Bandire please.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Geometry Wars 3 just got updated with the Evolved expansion which means content-wise its now pretty much on par with the console versions (well, except for the multiplayer modes).

Starrett
Mar 22, 2006

Forum Oddity

gromdul posted:

Starret will also take an invite

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!

Starrett posted:

Starret will also take an invite

Does not exist. Two spots open, come be a nerd with us.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Gems of War is fun, but sometimes you'll invade incredible teams that have a creature that can add a lot of one color, then another creature that does damage, plus adding more of that color. I once had a match where as soon as they fired that off, I never got a single turn after. They'd get a four of a kind and enough mana to do the spell again. Unfun to play against.

I can't complain much though since I'm lucky enough to have a shadow dragon which is pretty OP.

And I'd take a guild invite, my code is PRIN_1

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
When I was playing Puzzle Quest 2 or 1 or whatever my first character was an assassin who had a variety of spells that did the same thing. Board shuffling and disruption are very powerful, and tend to speed up what can be a slow game.

I leveled the Alchemist to 15 mostly to get a kingdom level for Adana. My goto PVP team has two sets of troops, one that shares white and the other shares red, so I figured extra mana of those colors would never be wasted. But I started using him to do the Adana challenges, and he's not terrible. The extra gold is nearly pointless, but his ability is great for powering up yellow troops. Herdmaster explodes yellow gems; I draft him occasionally and he's really amazing for powering up the whole team. Valkyrie is great partnered with a Frost Giant, but the Giant is really squishy.

Eventually, if I keep playing, I will work on new team comps besides my Lady Saphirra, Atlanta, Barbearius, and Raven team. It's solid, but a little boring, just straight damage without much disruption or tricks.

E: Alchemist and Shadow Dragon work really well together.

waffles beyond waffles fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jul 22, 2015

Starrett
Mar 22, 2006

Forum Oddity

gromdul posted:

Does not exist. Two spots open, come be a nerd with us.

That's the name I see for my char. Where should I be looking? Also put an alchemist on the same team as your shadow dragon and watch the world burn

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

I have been trying to switch up my team in gems of war but so far my go to is:

Web spinner 15 blue green 2 damage and poison to the enemy team and makes 10 green gems.

Valkryrie 10 red yellow to change any color to blue.

Lady sapphira for brown yellow and true damage

The hero with this week's purple weapon.

The strategy is to power up webspinner as quick and often as possible. He is basically the tanky, better, but more expensive rock worm. But with valkryie, webspinner can usually go about 3-10 times, depending on luck, before dying. By that time the enemy team is so wrecked it is a quick clean up. True damage means I don't even have to remove the armor at time. The hero is basically just a tank to protect the back row.

Edit: sorry i mixed up some color and weapons. I haven't used my go to team in a few days. The game is so easy you don't really need to go optimal all the time.

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jul 22, 2015

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

Starrett posted:

That's the name I see for my char. Where should I be looking? Also put an alchemist on the same team as your shadow dragon and watch the world burn

You sure it doesn't have two 't's like your SA username? Your post only listed it with one 't'.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
I've been bending the game over my knee long enough to have a handful of legendaries, but not the ones I really want right now (Webspinner and Bone Dragon). Right now my go-to team is:

Tau (Yellow/Blue, turns Red to Attack). A Revenant that doesn't suck because he can actually take a couple of hits, plus his ability is 1:1 for red gems so it tends to pump his attack up to 20+. Ripping red from the board sometimes leaves him open to attack, but if they want to hit him for 7 and then I hit them for 23, I'll take that trade.
Boar Rider (Purple/Green, kills a row, does 8 damage to first enemy, take another turn). Read that ability description again. That is so goddamn good. Perfect for chip damage, for setting up 4s and 5s, and for setting up skulls with which Tau can blast someone off the board.
Kerberos (Brown/Purple, does 10 damage to selected enemy, 25% chance for instakill/absorb life and atk). 10-ATK muscle in case the first two get taken off the board, plus the active is a gamechanger when it hits all the way.
Moloch (Red/Yellow, does 7 true damage, drains mana). I put him there mostly to round out the colors and so that if Tau drops, someone's picking up yellow mana. He doesn't get that much use, but he's good to have in your back pocket when something annoying like Webspinner or Bone Golem is about to activate.

The latter two are rare but Tau anyone can get (work your way north and west to Sword's Edge) and Boar Rider shouldn't take too long to acquire as he's just a Rare. Between those two you have four colors covered and can fill out the other two slots with whoever you have. Note that you should really only have to activate Tau once a fight to make him a killer, so Yellow/Blue makers aren't as vital.

If you're new to this game, save up 50 gems (at the rate we're blasting through tasks in Gem Boys, it won't take long) and get Dwarven Armor. Viking Armor for 100 for a Souls bonus is fine too. 50% bonus to gold is really nice because it tilts PvP rewards even further in your favor, it affects rewards from Arena, and if Souls are what you need you can turn excess gold into keys and then disenchant who you get. (Or make it rain on your guild and get keys that way.)

Emphasizing again how good Arena mode is. It makes you think about team compositions and come up with strategies, plus 400 souls each time you run the table gets your expensive units leveled all the way up a lot faster.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Are there any decent timer-based games on there? I've played Tiny Tower/Pocket Planes/Tiny Trains etc, looking for the 'best' sort of game where I can push things for five minutes then put it away for an hour.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
Yeah Arena is the best. It's just fun to have to play with what you get. Plus with the dual colored weapons they're handing out like candy, you can make up a for a bad draft with that (but they are awfully expensive to power up). I got the new one, used it, and luckily the opponent had a fairy. Twenty damage will one shot most things!

Starrett
Mar 22, 2006

Forum Oddity

bgreman posted:

You sure it doesn't have two 't's like your SA username? Your post only listed it with one 't'.

Yep I'm sure. I was in a guild but I left so whoever is inviting try now

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!

Starrett posted:

Yep I'm sure. I was in a guild but I left so whoever is inviting try now

I sent an invite to someone with only one r and one t

Starrett
Mar 22, 2006

Forum Oddity

gromdul posted:

I sent an invite to someone with only one r and one t

I wonder if all caps matter because that's my name but STARRET

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
Caps don't matter. Humor me and post a screen shot of your hero page. Your invite code is at the bottom.

Starrett
Mar 22, 2006

Forum Oddity

gromdul posted:

Caps don't matter. Humor me and post a screen shot of your hero page. Your invite code is at the bottom.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
It was STARRET with a space after it.

Unless there's some other STARRET-with-a-space-after-it in which case gently caress it, he can join instead.

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
So is DBZ just busted on some devices? I keep getting a verification failure on launch.

to be fair, I'm having issues with Brave Frontier too.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Twitter superstar Pakalu Papito now has a game: Camel Ride.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Warhammer Quest went up in price. Now instead of need 8 cents I need another 2.50 :(

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007

Drone posted:

That thing made my Nexus 7 burn like hell.

It's also buggy as hell, requires you to be online and doesn't get along with WiFi for some reason. I had such high hopes too!

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

delfin posted:

If you're new to this game, save up 50 gems (at the rate we're blasting through tasks in Gem Boys, it won't take long) and get Dwarven Armor. Viking Armor for 100 for a Souls bonus is fine too. 50% bonus to gold is really nice because it tilts PvP rewards even further in your favor, it affects rewards from Arena, and if Souls are what you need you can turn excess gold into keys and then disenchant who you get. (Or make it rain on your guild and get keys that way.)

I don't think those armor are as good as you think. They state the bonus only happens when you are on a quest, challenge, and defending. I don't believe it gives you the bonus on offensive pvp. And I rarely get the chance to defend. And I wouldn't do the soul either, you usually only get 5ish soul a battle.

If you want souls the guild quest for it is the best gold spent for soul return ratio. Besides arena of course.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

John McClane posted:

So is DBZ just busted on some devices? I keep getting a verification failure on launch.

to be fair, I'm having issues with Brave Frontier too.

It has problems with rooted phones from what I've heard. It runs like rear end on my Nexus 10 but is smooth as silk on my S4, which is strange since I think technically the Nexus 10 is more powerful at this point?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

New Leaf posted:

It has problems with rooted phones from what I've heard. It runs like rear end on my Nexus 10 but is smooth as silk on my S4, which is strange since I think technically the Nexus 10 is more powerful at this point?

I have a rooted Nexus 5 running 4.4.4 and DBZ runs fine for me.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
What time is it? Time for Adventure Time: Puzzle Quest I guess.

I had high hopes for this but it seems a bit sloppily done and somewhat buggy at the moment unfortunately.

mrkillboy fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jul 23, 2015

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Shwqa posted:

I don't think those armor are as good as you think. They state the bonus only happens when you are on a quest, challenge, and defending. I don't believe it gives you the bonus on offensive pvp. And I rarely get the chance to defend. And I wouldn't do the soul either, you usually only get 5ish soul a battle.

If you want souls the guild quest for it is the best gold spent for soul return ratio. Besides arena of course.

I can vouch that I'm getting bonus gold on offensive PvP, defensive PvP and Arena. A 1000-gold Arena run gave a 2250 gold reward. Just ran offensive PvP, "Available rewards: 453," cost 226 to enter, end reward was +698 gold (which is just about right for 453 plus 4-and-5-match gold plus 50%). I'll have to test whether the souls bonus affects Arena as well, but if so that's major.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Any other games I should be playing than the 3 being mentioned all the time? Timer based games would be awesome while I'm on break at work.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Any other games I should be playing than the 3 being mentioned all the time? Timer based games would be awesome while I'm on break at work.

Try 10,000,000,000 Wives. The goal is to increase the wife.

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Try Terra Battle. It's not match 3, but it's pretty original and tends to take a bit more thought to play than a lot of these types of games.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Niton posted:

You might want to try MazebertTD, which is not only impenetrable, but also basically 100% random as far as when and what you get to build.

I am loving this poo poo. Any advice? I can get to the 60s and stall out. Don't have the money do deploy all my gold cards.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

delfin posted:

I can vouch that I'm getting bonus gold on offensive PvP, defensive PvP and Arena. A 1000-gold Arena run gave a 2250 gold reward. Just ran offensive PvP, "Available rewards: 453," cost 226 to enter, end reward was +698 gold (which is just about right for 453 plus 4-and-5-match gold plus 50%). I'll have to test whether the souls bonus affects Arena as well, but if so that's major.

Well this is news :getin:

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
I'm kind of hitting the wall in DBZ. I only have one SR and one R,everything else is N. I tried going back to an earlier level to try in Hard mode and it didn't go well. Anyone have done good progression tips? Should I waste stones on a pull?

Trainmonk
Jul 4, 2007
You should definitely try awakening your dudes. It'll be a huge difference. e: also yeah use stones in pulls until you get a good team

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Trainmonk posted:

You should definitely try awakening your dudes. It'll be a huge difference. e: also yeah use stones in pulls until you get a good team

Should i waste materials awakening N level guys?

e: I'm very leery of using stones on pulls thanks to my days of playing PAD. Actually this game kinda makes me want to play PAD again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

vulturesrow posted:

Should i waste materials awakening N level guys?

e: I'm very leery of using stones on pulls thanks to my days of playing PAD. Actually this game kinda makes me want to play PAD again.

PAD at least doesn't have lovely puzzling. On the other hand, the power bloat is even worse than when I stopped playing. I reinstalled, saw I had a ton of stuff waiting to be levelled so I could get skill ups and was like "nope!"

It's too bad. PAD with the level of presentation that Dokkan has would be amazing.