Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Endless Mike posted:

You're not a resident of Earth-Prime because Superboy isn't in our universe. Earth-Prime is just a universe that looks a lot like ours up until Superboy starts existing, at which point it is obviously not ours. :colbert:

Yeah, we're Earth Prime Prime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

You're not a resident of Earth-Prime because Superboy isn't in our universe. Earth-Prime is just a universe that looks a lot like ours up until Superboy starts existing, at which point it is obviously not ours. :colbert:

I bet you also tell kids in the mall at Christmas that it's a hobo and not actually Santa Claus.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

CapnAndy posted:

It was already posted on this page, though?

He didn't mean to, he was lashing out, and everyone's reaction to an already somewhat unstable teenager in the midst of an emotional breakdown turning out to be so powerful he was to Superman what Superman is to them was "gently caress this kid, let's pile on more!"

Understandably, since he'd just loving decapitated one of their friends in front of them, but still, holy poo poo, wrong idea. Like I said, he's supposed to be a tragic figure.

After this fight they drag him into the Speed Force where he has to live for years in isolation, which was a big thing for him already because Luthor mostly ignored him and Kal-L was focused entirely on the dying Lois.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
All of this was, of course, an incredibly stupid and cynical thing to do with characters who were basically "assumed into heaven" at the end of the original Crisis. It's an excellent example of how Johns and Didio are only able to think on the most drearily literal terms about superheroes and superhero stories.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Senior Woodchuck posted:

All of this was, of course, an incredibly stupid and cynical thing to do with characters who were basically "assumed into heaven" at the end of the original Crisis. It's an excellent example of how Johns and Didio are only able to think on the most drearily literal terms about superheroes and superhero stories.

Were you aware that it was Mark Waid who wrote the story that revealed that the GA Superman was trapped in a pocket dimension, a story he wrote in the late 90's?

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

CapnAndy posted:

He didn't mean to, he was lashing out, and everyone's reaction to an already somewhat unstable teenager in the midst of an emotional breakdown turning out to be so powerful he was to Superman what Superman is to them was "gently caress this kid, let's pile on more!"

Understandably, since he'd just loving decapitated one of their friends in front of them, but still, holy poo poo, wrong idea. Like I said, he's supposed to be a tragic figure.

Supporting this, he pretty quickly starts rewriting things in his head. I think he literally said out loud "You're making me act like you!" to the people he thought were too violent and unheroic.

Now, I can't remember if he shows any remorse for the death of OG Superman at the end of Infinite Crisis. If he did, there's a bit of tragedy there. If not, then he's already full-on villain and what little psychological drama he had was abruptly ended.

Edit: I just remembered he carves an S-shield into his own chest after that fight. Yeah, he was full-on villain already.

HitTheTargets fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jul 23, 2015

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He's full on villain after he busts out of the Speed Force with his bad guy armor on.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Also, to him, he's trapped in a world full of comic book characters. It'd probably be a miracle if you didn't turn out psychotic.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
You'd think someone in that situation would realize things won't turn out well for the villian.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

prefect posted:

His first kill was before he reached that point.

I really like this page.

Wheat Loaf posted:

The original version of that page was going to have a shot of Pantha's severed head flying (a little more comically than it should have) past Red Star and Kid Wildebeest instead of the one with him looking at the blood on his hands going, "I didn't mean to do that."

This would have been way worse. His freaked out realization of loving up while looking like a wholesome young scrawny Superman is way more important to focus on. I admit I had no real connection of the original Crisis stories, and just enjoyed the imagery here.

I really didn't like the Superman Prime and alternate internet nerd things they went to with him. Or even the more exaggeratedly evil versions of him later. I liked the confused, frustrated kid who tried to do good but couldn't handle the sacrifices and poor hand he was dealt.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

If Superboy Prime was really a comic book fan he'd realize he couldn't kill anyone important.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Chinaman7000 posted:

I really didn't like the Superman Prime and alternate internet nerd things they went to with him. Or even the more exaggeratedly evil versions of him later. I liked the confused, frustrated kid who tried to do good but couldn't handle the sacrifices and poor hand he was dealt.

I liked how it worked out with him in his last couple Johns stories. After all this time being a villain for the sake of bringing his world back, he returned to Earth Prime to find that his parents and girlfriend had read his comic appearances and were outright terrified of him, which was a fitting twist and drove him over the edge. Then the Blackest Night tie-in had him come to terms with everything while "they" chose to finally back off and give him a happy ending.

It also had one of his greatest moments where he was faced with Black Lantern Alexander Luthor and told him, "It's Prime Time! (I've been saving that one)"

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Is that page better than any of the numerous arm-ripping off panels DC has put out over the last decade, definitely. It's still a gaudy, pointlessly violent tone-deaf effort to tell a serious and mature story, and it's still an example of the hopeless immaturity of superhero comics and superhero comics fans that they need to see the icons of their innocent youth committing brutal violence to be convinced that what they're reading is serious and mature.

Superboy punching someone's Goddamn head off by accident and crying about how he didn't mean to is pretty much on the same level as that famous "Beats Bizarro to death while crying" pitch except one is a forums in-joke and the other actually happened in a published comic.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Travis343 posted:

Is that page better than any of the numerous arm-ripping off panels DC has put out over the last decade, definitely. It's still a gaudy, pointlessly violent tone-deaf effort to tell a serious and mature story, and it's still an example of the hopeless immaturity of superhero comics and superhero comics fans that they need to see the icons of their innocent youth committing brutal violence to be convinced that what they're reading is serious and mature.

Superboy punching someone's Goddamn head off by accident and crying about how he didn't mean to is pretty much on the same level as that famous "Beats Bizarro to death while crying" pitch except one is a forums in-joke and the other actually happened in a published comic.

Would it be better if he had killed someone without decapitating them? Is that the problematic part?

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Travis343 posted:

I agree it's more evidence of DC'S terrible need to be gritty. But it is more nuanced, and there is a meta commentary going on that isn't around in the later arm ripping coolness. I get what you mean though and I'm sure if I had a connection to the original Crisis or read it for the first time today I'd like it less.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Gavok posted:

I liked how it worked out with him in his last couple Johns stories. After all this time being a villain for the sake of bringing his world back, he returned to Earth Prime to find that his parents and girlfriend had read his comic appearances and were outright terrified of him, which was a fitting twist and drove him over the edge. Then the Blackest Night tie-in had him come to terms with everything while "they" chose to finally back off and give him a happy ending.

It also had one of his greatest moments where he was faced with Black Lantern Alexander Luthor and told him, "It's Prime Time! (I've been saving that one)"

Doesn't the Blackest Night story end with his girlfriend secretly wearing a Black ring?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Die Laughing posted:

Also, to him, he's trapped in a world full of comic book characters. It'd probably be a miracle if you didn't turn out psychotic.

Did they ever do away with the "She-Hulk knows she's in a comic book" thing? She's remarkably well-adjusted, considering.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Travis343 posted:

Violence! In comic books!!!!

I can't ever remember: Bucky doesn't have any superpowers besides his arm right?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

zoux posted:

Violence! In comic books!!!!

I can't ever remember: Bucky doesn't have any superpowers besides his arm right?

Pretty sure he has some kind Infinity Formula variant

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Aphrodite posted:

Doesn't the Blackest Night story end with his girlfriend secretly wearing a Black ring?

Yeah, that was weird because she didn't look all ghoulish and the next story he was in completely ignored it.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Greg Rucka asked Geoff Johns about his penchant for dismemberment, and Johns said he didn't see it as a big deal because he grew up playing Mortal Kombat. I guess that's why it never bothered me. He's a guy that has obvious affection for every character he writes, so I never really see the violence as particularly mean spirited.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think the problem with the arm thing is just that they do it so often as a way to be super violent but without any real consequences. I mean having your arm ripped off irl is probably going to be fatal but in comic books it means you get a new cyber arm.

Comic book fans generally seem to like violence, just look at the Badass Panels thread. Probably one of the more violent acts I've seen in mainstream comics was Richard Ryder orally disemboweling Annihilus, and I've never seen that described as anything other than supremely awesome.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

zoux posted:

I think the problem with the arm thing is just that they do it so often as a way to be super violent but without any real consequences. I mean having your arm ripped off irl is probably going to be fatal but in comic books it means you get a new cyber arm.

Comic book fans generally seem to like violence, just look at the Badass Panels thread. Probably one of the more violent acts I've seen in mainstream comics was Richard Ryder orally disemboweling Annihilus, and I've never seen that described as anything other than supremely awesome.

Annihilus deserved it; the guy was a total dick.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Die Laughing posted:

Greg Rucka asked Geoff Johns about his penchant for dismemberment, and Johns said he didn't see it as a big deal because he grew up playing Mortal Kombat. I guess that's why it never bothered me. He's a guy that has obvious affection for every character he writes, so I never really see the violence as particularly mean spirited.

Does... does Geoff Johns realize that even Mortal Kombat doesn't actually make the violence canonical except in rare circumstances?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Pastry of the Year posted:

Did they ever do away with the "She-Hulk knows she's in a comic book" thing? She's remarkably well-adjusted, considering.
It faded away, yeah. Deadpool has it now.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The last time they did anything along those lines with She-Hulk was the end of the big milestone issue during Slott's run. And even then it was just one gag and a final page wink to the reader.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Does... does Geoff Johns realize that even Mortal Kombat doesn't actually make the violence canonical except in rare circumstances?

Yeah because when I'm playing Mortal Kombat and disembowelling people the one thing I'm really concerned about is if my head rip is canon.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

People don't play Mortal Kombat for the story. Besides Gavok probably. Didn't he write the "rate every MK character ever" article that my phone couldn't navigate?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Die Laughing posted:

People don't play Mortal Kombat for the story. Besides Gavok probably. Didn't he write the "rate every MK character ever" article that my phone couldn't navigate?

The last two Mortal Kombat games seem to disagree with you there.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

CapnAndy posted:

It faded away, yeah. Deadpool has it now.

One of the funnier touches in Marvel vs. Capcom 3 is how when She-Hulk defeats Deadpool, she says, "You know, if this game was made in 1992, I'd be the one breaking the fourth wall instead."

Die Laughing posted:

Currently working on the Street Fighter one (and eventually Tekken)! Which involves trying to figure out which one of the paper-thin SF1 characters was the absolute worst. I've decided it's Lee.

But really, a lot of people do care about the story.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Madkal posted:

I read the IC as a trade years after it came out so I guess I was a bit older when I read it than most, but the whole reveal/motivation thing was the thing that bothered me most. Jean's plans made no loving sense, and the fact that Ray wanted to get back with her before she started killing friends with flamethrowers made it definitely seem like a case of "bitches be crazy". The reveal of this was stupid as well as it played on the whole cliche of "...but I didn't mention that she was pooped on the brain. Only the killer would have known that". Also the whole comic made every hero in it seem like an incompetent moron.

Funnily enough, I gave my trade to a friend who hadn't read comics in over a decade and he really liked IC, so maybe it might have more appeal to new readers.

It did, the IC thread in GBS is the sole reason BSS was created. There were tons of avatars of people with wild guesses to the perpetrator from possible culprits like Deathstroke, Dr. light etc to crazy poo poo like Plastic man, Mighty Mouse and time traveling Hitler

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Die Laughing posted:

My interest in most fighting games is entirely the story. I can't pull off the complicated button combos. It's ironic, because I love fighting.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Gavok posted:

Yeah, that was weird because she didn't look all ghoulish and the next story he was in completely ignored it.

Maybe it was one of those plastic giveaway rings.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

HitTheTargets posted:

I declare this canon.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Booblord Zagats posted:

It did, the IC thread in GBS is the sole reason BSS was created. There were tons of avatars of people with wild guesses to the perpetrator from possible culprits like Deathstroke, Dr. light etc to crazy poo poo like Plastic man, Mighty Mouse and time traveling Hitler

Literally any of those would have been more satisfying.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Booblord Zagats posted:

Is that thread archived?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

How Identity Crisis actually should have ended:

In the final issue Sue Dibny comes out of hiding. She sheepishly admits that this was all her plotting the next of Ralph's Birthday Mysteries but it sort of got out of hand. Tim Drake's dad also pops out and awkwardly rubs the back of his head, admitting that he was in on it. Everyone has a good laugh, freeze frame.

It has precedent in canon, she once faked an alien invasion for one of Ralph's birthday mysteries. :colbert:

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Unmature posted:

Is that thread archived?

I would also like to read this thread.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Haha, holy poo poo, searching for Identity Crisis stuff in the archives is a total rabbit hole, even if you restrict it to 2004 only. People were joking about it in every thread and then there were the weekly comic discussion threads and then the creation of BSS shifted everything.

Anyway, I think I found the big one here in BSS, maybe it got moved: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1245781 And here is the original GBS thread that started before IC was released: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1077262

All the other discussion is pretty much scattered across dozens of threads. It's a real trip reading some people who are still around's comic thoughts from a decade ago though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

HitTheTargets posted:

Hands up, who's still got theirs? Keep 'em up if you still have em displayed.

ImpAtom posted:

The last two Mortal Kombat games seem to disagree with you there.

Also this. Fighting games are trying to have a modicum of coherent plot these days. Rather than the default single-player option being 'fight all these guys in a row with your dude then get a screen of text' , they try to get you to sample a bunch of dudes through a story mode.