Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

amuayse posted:

The spire's interior is kinda boring although the banana grove is pretty cool.

You know what other game had a banana grove?

IVAN.

:tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Sadly Qud's bananas are much less tasty although just as deadly
My real question is why does this game have so many monkeys? It feels almost like Donkey Kong or Time Splitters

amuayse fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jul 22, 2015

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

amuayse posted:

Sadly Qud's bananas are much less tasty although just as deadly
My real question is why does this game have so many monkeys? It feels almost like Donkey Kong or Time Splitters

There's a Qud box cover quote here somewhere

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
My favorite box cover quote for Qud was from a comment left from someone returning the game (You get to see the comments left, if any, by people doing returns.)

"It's like playing a book written in another language."

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Unormal posted:

My favorite box cover quote for Qud was from a comment left from someone returning the game (You get to see the comments left, if any, by people doing returns.)

Can't argue with that.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

RoboCicero posted:

Just completed my first ascension of Cogmind :toot:

Can't say it's a reliable strategy, but my run was mostly finding a four-pack of Experimental Cesium Ion thrusters, then slotting in enough utility / power to offset the power drain and heat buildup while providing a modicum of protection. I had a Heavy Disruptor Cannon that I pulled out whenever I wanted to go one-on-one, but any item with a high penetration / critical would probably do just as well.

Most of my run was going around overloaded (but still at 200% move), then immediately activating all my thrusters to shoot to 500% - 1000% speed and jetting through enemies as soon as possible. Finally got lucky on -1 by opening the doors first try, then puttered around the shell before I realized I should probably put my hypervelocity railgun to good use and blew it open

I do wish higher rating weapons had more unique abilities though. We do get very high disruption / critical weapons, but most of the other ones were pretty hard to parse, even if they sounded :black101: as hell.

How much exploration were you doing versus just blasting for the stairs as quickly as possible?

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
I went to look at the Qud discussion forum for the new patch notes and made the mistake of clicking on a couple of the other topics (mostly complaining about the graphics, lol). I found this masterpiece:

quote:

Books are for women. Of course educational books are exception.

:psyduck:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Unormal posted:

And why would anyone ever want to do that, after all? Here's betting that one was American.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I found a few gems, but they're mostly low effort trolls so I didn't bother reposting them. I've occasionally answered questions on the steam forums, they're usually a mix of innocent newbies with only a handful of stupid.

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Don't ask me lady, I live in beer
I'm fairly new to rougelikes and jumped on the Qud bandwagon a few days ago and I'm enjoying it despite getting creamed a lot, but I've got a few questions/issues.

1) How does the off-hand weapon mechanic work? I found the ambidextrous tree you can pump your chance of swinging but does the type of weapon affect it? Eg. having a dagger vs a battle axe in the left, and does it affect your primary?

2) The extra arms mutation seems to spawn me holding three lit torches and always I burn them all down a bit before I notice. I also managed to wield a two handed sword in my left hands at one point, is that meant to be possible?

3) Today's update broke my save :( I made it to level four (!!) but now when I try to load it the game just crashes out. Anything I can do to revive it? (This is OS X btw.)

edit: Between failing to load the game and taking the time to post this steam did another update and now it's properly telling me my save is outdated.

Destroyenator fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jul 22, 2015

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Destroyenator posted:

3) Today's update broke my save :( I made it to level four (!!) but now when I try to load it the game just crashes out. Anything I can do to revive it? (This is OS X btw.)

You can revert to the 'previous stable' branch for if you want to finish up any existing saves.

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

^^ Possibly the most responsive game developers ever.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

Destroyenator posted:

1) How does the off-hand weapon mechanic work? I found the ambidextrous tree you can pump your chance of swinging but does the type of weapon affect it? Eg. having a dagger vs a battle axe in the left, and does it affect your primary?

It doesn't affact your primary, and the weapon type in your offhand doesnt matter at all, other than daggers which have a skill that doubles(!) the chance you attack with it and has several other skills that buff specifically offhand dagger attacks.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Destroyenator posted:

I'm fairly new to rougelikes and jumped on the Qud bandwagon a few days ago and I'm enjoying it despite getting creamed a lot, but I've got a few questions/issues.

2) The extra arms mutation seems to spawn me holding three lit torches and always I burn them all down a bit before I notice. I also managed to wield a two handed sword in my left hands at one point, is that meant to be possible?

1: It gives you a % chance to swing with that weapon. Short blades have extra skills to use with them, one doubling your off hand chance (which rolls over to an extra attack and a chance at another one with enough dual wield skill) and another letting you use your agility mod for off hand dagger damage instead of strength.

2: Not a big fan of that mutation overall, it caps out at ~25% chance to attack with your extra limbs.

e: testing seems to indicate that wield two handed weapons in your left and right sets of hands lets you use dual wield skills with them instead of the multiple arms proc rate.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jul 22, 2015

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Where's my Avern and Terminus Est.
Better yet, why are there no spears in Qud? Is a pointy stick something you need a datatisk to craft?

amuayse fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jul 22, 2015

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
The concept of fighting with sharpened sticks is deeply offensive to the Consortium of Phyta.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Multiple Arms lets you loving dual wield greatweapons? :stare:

E: more to the point, you could wield a greatsword and a shield :aaa:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Angry Diplomat posted:

Multiple Arms lets you loving dual wield greatweapons? :stare:

E: more to the point, you could wield a greatsword and a shield :aaa:

A greatsword, a shield, and a torch, even.

ellbent
May 2, 2007

I NEVER HAD SOUL
I got tired of being smacked in the face and dying as a mutant in Qud, so I tried playing as a melee-focused true kin instead. I feel like I'm doing a whole lot better, but is not having the Most Optimal arsenal of mindlasers and extra appendages/exoskeletons just going to bite me in the rear end in a huge way later or something?

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
True Men Praetorians are the Minotaur Fighters of Qud

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

dis astranagant posted:

1: It gives you a % chance to swing with that weapon. Short blades have extra skills to use with them, one doubling your off hand chance (which rolls over to an extra attack and a chance at another one with enough dual wield skill) and another letting you use your agility mod for off hand dagger damage instead of strength.

2: Not a big fan of that mutation overall, it caps out at ~25% chance to attack with your extra limbs.

e: testing seems to indicate that wield two handed weapons in your left and right sets of hands lets you use dual wield skills with them instead of the multiple arms proc rate.
Thanks!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

ellbent posted:

I got tired of being smacked in the face and dying as a mutant in Qud, so I tried playing as a melee-focused true kin instead. I feel like I'm doing a whole lot better, but is not having the Most Optimal arsenal of mindlasers and extra appendages/exoskeletons just going to bite me in the rear end in a huge way later or something?

You're going to die screaming eventually anyway; it's just a question of how soon it happens. :v: I expect it's entirely possible for a melee-spec character to survive Bethesda Susa (the last plot dungeon, so far), though I doubt it'll be as easy for them as it would be for the laser rave mutant or other characters with powerful ranged attacks. If nothing else, ranged characters don't have to worry about losing limbs to sawhands and the like.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Unique spawns are nuts right now :psyduck: I just had a psychic laser deathraver die to some crazy-rear end psychic super hermit who spawned in Red Rock, wasted my evil twin and all his time clones, wasted all my time clones, and then wasted me, all by machine-gunning confusion, Sunder Mind, and Cryokinesis all over the place. I was level 2 or 3.

The previous character went two floors down into the watery tunnel beneath Joppa and got instantaneously atomized by a huge pack of Dawngliders the turn he went down the stairs.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"

StarkRavingMad posted:

How much exploration were you doing versus just blasting for the stairs as quickly as possible?
I was doing a decent amount of exploration -- Cogmind is all about attrition, so you're always looking for more flight units, backup power generators, backup heat sinks, or backup armor. Even while being chased I still dodged into rooms just to see if there was anything juicy on the ground. Most flight units will put you at 500% move when you're not overloaded, so for most robots you're moving 5 or 6 times to their every one -- if you're feeling saucy and you find one of those 'guarded' rooms with a bot overlooking a stockpile of stuff you can usually fly in, pick up something on the ground, and leave before the Warden is able to get more than one shot at you.

Being well-stocked is seriously critical though, and one of the hardest parts imo about running a blaster build -- it's not a matter of having guns to replace the ones that get shot off, but heat sinks and power generators (and tractor beams, to a lesser extent) become really critical to not going dry in an extended firefight and running out of any one of them will cause serious problems.

When I did find an exit I'll usually try to explore the surrounding zone or two, since I can almost certainly out-run anything trying to pursue me.

Random suggestion : It would be neat if wheels had something to make them more obviously attractive over legs (which have lower penalties) and hover units (which are generally faster). Either something like something where the time to move decreases the more you move in a straight line, or being able to toggle a "Rolling" mode on the wheels, where you continuously move in one direction, even while you're firing your weapons.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
I recently died in Qud to some kind of enemy just called "Evil", which attacked me in Joppa. I don't know what it was, because I didn't even get time to look at it!

Maelephant
Aug 12, 2006

"Yer know, a herd of maelephants might be jus' wot we needs."
My guess is you accidentally named yourself '', and spawned an Evil ''.

Happylisk
May 19, 2004

Leisure Suit Barry '08

RoboCicero posted:

Random suggestion : It would be neat if wheels had something to make them more obviously attractive over legs (which have lower penalties) and hover units (which are generally faster). Either something like something where the time to move decreases the more you move in a straight line, or being able to toggle a "Rolling" mode on the wheels, where you continuously move in one direction, even while you're firing your weapons.

I seem to recall the dev saying that the perk wheels have over legs or flight units is abundance. They're just easier to find generally.

Speaking of cogmind propulsion systems, I'm pleased with the buff to treads with regard to recoil. One day I'll get to the surface with a pure blaster build... one day.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Happylisk posted:

I seem to recall the dev saying that the perk wheels have over legs or flight units is abundance. They're just easier to find generally.

Speaking of cogmind propulsion systems, I'm pleased with the buff to treads with regard to recoil. One day I'll get to the surface with a pure blaster build... one day.

I got to -4 today going mostly heavy blasting but a squad of those nasty late game soldier types with penetrators herded me screaming off of -5 with literally all my gear destroyed. Couldn't recoup enough before I got trapped between a group of Viruses and a Beast.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Maelephant posted:

My guess is you accidentally named yourself '', and spawned an Evil ''.

Haha that's probably it, didn't think of that at all!

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Please add frogs to Qud since they're the only major missing thing that's present in nearly all roguelikes

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I seem to have broken the quick display of skills somehow. I tried changing it, toggling it, saving and reloading, stays stuck like that, with the top part unchanging and the bottom half updating but covering the normal hp display which is pretty dangerous.

hand of luke
Oct 17, 2005

Mmmhmm, yes. I suppose I will attend your ball. Someone must class up the affair, musn't he?

amuayse posted:

Please add frogs to Qud since they're the only major missing thing that's present in nearly all roguelikes

There are frogs! Ice frogs. You're right that there should be *more* frogs.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

hand of luke posted:

So many more frogs.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Existing frogs are jerks, but not as big jerks as ants.

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
Qud: Is there a way to reduce the font size? It's just a little to large for my tastes.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

hand of luke posted:

We need a psychic frog, clearly. Also a high-explosive frog whose corpse detonates a bit after it dies, unless you eat it first. And TNT Frog Corpses should be an ingredient for the glotrot cure.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

WaterIsPoison posted:

Qud: Is there a way to reduce the font size? It's just a little to large for my tastes.

Since each character is a tile on an 80x25 grid, it would look very strange. It's not just rendering responsively on a blank canvas.

Yarrington
Jun 13, 2002

While I will admit to a certain cynicism, I am a nay-sayer and hatchet man in the fight against violence. I pride myself in taking a punch and I'll gladly take another.
Qud: Anybody played on a MacBook? I saw some steam reviews that mentioned the laptop key mappings were nearly unusable, is that accurate?

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Yarrington posted:

Qud: Anybody played on a MacBook? I saw some steam reviews that mentioned the laptop key mappings were nearly unusable, is that accurate?

One of the initial techpatches should have fixed that. Though I'd be interested to hear otherwise. You can remap everything, so at worst it's only an issue till you remap stuff, which should only take a few minutes. If it needs it and someone makes one, I'd be interested in getting a macbook default keymap file.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Sorry to steer the conversation away, but I just downloaded ADOM to give it a go and I can't get the tutorial to start, neither in the graphics version, nor the console version. In the graphics I click Start Tutorial and it takes me back to the main menu, in the console, the 's' key just does nothing. Anyone know anything about this?

e: NVM, I'm a dumb, after not finding anything in google, i discovered their bug forum, it's a known issue. Sorry...

Unimpressed fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jul 23, 2015