Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

fronz posted:

Please explain it to me

Charlie Foxtrot you aren't allowed to read this for your own good.

Every individual stat--Spirit, Magic, Strength, and Speed--has a hidden EXP counter. It's /32 or /36 or something for every level and never increases.

Certain armors and accessories give you small boosts to your stats. Glass Buckle, for example, gives you +1 to everything. When you gain a level, it adds the total of all your equipment bonuses to the respective stat's hidden EXP counter. If you gained a level wearing a Glass Buckle and, I dunno, a hat that gives you +2 Strength, you would get +1 EXP to Spirit, Magic, and Speed, and +3 to Strength. When that total reaches 36, you get a permanent increase of 1 to that stat, and the extra EXP rolls over past 0.

Assuming you gained 98 levels with this equipment loadout, you'd have an extra 2 Spirit, Magic, and Speed over what your regular stats at level 99 would be, and an extra 8 Strength.

You can get the boost for Spirit as high as like 11 or 12, and Speed on Zidane as high as 7 or 8. If you use this system properly, you can easily get any character to the 50 cap on Spirit by the time they reach level 99 (iirc Quina's naturally caps at like 20). You can do other poo poo like make everyone almost as fast as Zidane and get Steiner's Strength so high that his normal attack does like 7000+ damage without crit or any crystal abilities attached.

It's basically IVs in Pokemon except there's a finite number of them available throughout the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)
An interesting and in-depth system that I will proceed to never pay any attention to.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I just remember keeping Zidane on daggers over his twinblade late-game because the animation is way faster.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Yeah I have long since stopped caring about being completionist in games and I'm probably just going to take the path of least resistance, I just wanted to make sure that I didn't miss any easy things I should in the early game. Like, I'm not going to master jumping rope 1000 times for whatever item I'm sure you get from that

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah I have long since stopped caring about being completionist in games and I'm probably just going to take the path of least resistance, I just wanted to make sure that I didn't miss any easy things I should in the early game. Like, I'm not going to master jumping rope 1000 times for whatever item I'm sure you get from that

You get an item telling you you're really good at jumping rope.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I wish Tetra Master was fun

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
Do not try to play FFIX with the mindset of trying to steal everything from bosses. You'll save yourself a lot of time and stress.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

General Morden posted:

Do not try to play FFIX with the mindset of trying to steal everything from bosses. You'll save yourself a lot of time and stress.

Please, this. The odds are not in your tavor.

You can get equipment a bit earlier from stealing, but 95% of it is stuff you'll be getting within the next hour of gameplay.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Poonerman posted:

You can get equipment a bit earlier from stealing, but 95% of it is stuff you'll be getting within the next hour of gameplay.

The other 5% is only obtainable by stealing and it's all great poo poo :unsmigghh:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I remember FF9 being the first game where stealing from bosses clicked in in my head between the slow pace of combat and Zidane not exactly being a combat god early on.

As long as you aren't like dicking around using all your healing items on the solo fights or reloading if you don't get it I don't see it any more extraordinary of a thing to do on a first playthrough than some of the stuff that could be recommended for, say, FF8.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I don't think stealing from bosses is that bad. I've been replaying it (it feels more like it's my first playthrough though since I haven't played past disc 1 in like 10 years and I don't remember half of the stuff I'm seeing in disc 3) and IIRC there's only been a few bosses so far that were a nightmare to steal from:

- Gizamaluke (This sucks because there's no healer in the party so you have to use items)
- Beatrix (I actually didn't bother with stealing in any of these fights because I read that you can usually get her rare stuff like 10 minutes later)
- That boss right after you get Eiko (I never got whatever he had)
- The book in the castle library (I never got this either)
- Ark (It took like 20 minutes of failed steal attempts to get the holy lance)
- Taharka

I think all of those guys must have some weird steal formula that makes their items super rare or something. It's usually fairly painless though, with most bosses you get all their items in the first couple of steals

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Help Im Alive posted:

I don't think stealing from bosses is that bad. I've been replaying it (it feels more like it's my first playthrough though since I haven't played past disc 1 in like 10 years and I don't remember half of the stuff I'm seeing in disc 3) and IIRC there's only been a few bosses so far that were a nightmare to steal from:

- Gizamaluke (This sucks because there's no healer in the party so you have to use items)
- Beatrix (I actually didn't bother with stealing in any of these fights because I read that you can usually get her rare stuff like 10 minutes later)
- That boss right after you get Eiko (I never got whatever he had)
- The book in the castle library (I never got this either)
- Ark (It took like 20 minutes of failed steal attempts to get the holy lance)
- Taharka

I think all of those guys must have some weird steal formula that makes their items super rare or something. It's usually fairly painless though, with most bosses you get all their items in the first couple of steals

It's really a chance thing. Most bosses have their rare steal coded in at about 1/16, but there's also a 'very rare steal' slot - Hilgigars has a 1/256 chance of getting the Fairy Flute, and you don't have Master Thief at the time, which would increase that chance to 1/8.

Fortunately only a few bosses have valuable stuff in the very rare slot. It's mostly endgame bosses that start having four items to steal, and most of them don't have good stuff in the 1/256 section. Hilgigars is just the first notable one.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Forgot if there's any hot, missable poo poo FF9 offers to be stolen?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
The Deathguise thing Kuja summons just before you fight him has a set of unique claws for Amarant, IIRC.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Pureauthor posted:

The Deathguise thing Kuja summons just before you fight him has a set of unique claws for Amarant, IIRC.

Man, is Amarant even any good? I never seriously used him. I think he has a skill that lets him recover from any status effect which actually sounds pretty neat.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Pureauthor posted:

They're not unique, you can actually synthesize them at the Black Mage Village in Disc 4.

There's practically nothing you can only get from stealing. There's a missable item in that you can either get a Pumice from Ozma or steal a Pumice Piece from it, but that's it.

Volt Catfish posted:

Man, is Amarant even any good? I never seriously used him. I think he has a skill that lets him recover from any status effect which actually sounds pretty neat.

He doesn't have a killer damage ability like everyone else has. Throw means you need to stockpile strongish weapons and No Mercy is decent but not amazing compared to everyone else. However he's got solid Strength and equipment options and Flair and Aura are great support abilities. If you don't want to use Zidane for whatever reason Amarant fills that slot decently, especially since he can actually hit elemental weaknesses. That said I don't go out of my way to use him.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jul 23, 2015

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

ApplesandOranges posted:

He doesn't have a killer damage ability like everyone else has. Throw means you need to stockpile strongish weapons and No Mercy is decent but not amazing compared to everyone else. However he's got solid Strength and equipment options and Flair and Aura are great support abilities. If you don't want to use Zidane for whatever reason Amarant fills that slot decently, especially since he can actually hit elemental weaknesses. That said I don't go out of my way to use him.

He also has an actually-interesting Trance ability, in that it takes all of his single-target skills and makes them target-all. But yeah, he's pretty much right in the middle as far as usefulness goes.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
He's also got Chakra to heal and restore MP essentially for free. So he's good to take along on mage-heavy teams, since you can have your mages just use their strongest nukes all the time while Amarant works as a battery.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Excels posted:

Grind out abilities before equipping new armor.

Don't actually do this unless you hate yourself. A lot of skills can also be learned from armor later in the game, and most skills can be learned from accessories. It's a lot more fun to just wear the best armor and weapons you can and learn the abilities naturally.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Fister Roboto posted:

Don't actually do this unless you hate yourself. A lot of skills can also be learned from armor later in the game, and most skills can be learned from accessories. It's a lot more fun to just wear the best armor and weapons you can and learn the abilities naturally.

Well it depends, learning new skills is also fun. While outright grinding is not really necessary, wearing slightly older gear until you get an ability you want isn't going to cripple you or anything unless you're facing some boss you're having a really hard time with or you have a way stronger weapon available.

Also I still remember Hilgigars and his drat Fairy Flute even though I haven't played IX in ages. I probably didn't have Master Thief so 1/256 chance sounds about right, it took positively ages to get the thing and I was determined not to leave a boss item unstolen.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Thanks for the advice on Lightning Returns. Once I got the Ultimate weapon and shield, it was much easier. I got to the final phase without them, but just couldn't stagger him.

I was put off the trials thanks to the fight against two archangels, but since you can go back to Mog and refill your items after each battle, I was able to brute force it. The Earth Eater was also difficult.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

zedprime posted:

I remember FF9 being the first game where stealing from bosses clicked in in my head between the slow pace of combat and Zidane not exactly being a combat god early on.

Hilariously he becomes pretty handy in combat if you're stealing early on, since the weapon you can steal from the first boss of the game will one shot most stuff.

In my current playthrough I'm having Zidane steal 24/7 unless he's the only physical character and Vivi's magic doesn't cut it. Stealing stuff isn't that big a deal in this game but getting some decent consumables for free from time to time has its perks. That, and it means I'll be doing sick damage once I get Thievery.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The White Dragon posted:

Every individual stat--Spirit, Magic, Strength, and Speed--has a hidden EXP counter. It's /32 or /36 or something for every level and never increases.

Certain armors and accessories give you small boosts to your stats. Glass Buckle, for example, gives you +1 to everything. When you gain a level, it adds the total of all your equipment bonuses to the respective stat's hidden EXP counter. If you gained a level wearing a Glass Buckle and, I dunno, a hat that gives you +2 Strength, you would get +1 EXP to Spirit, Magic, and Speed, and +3 to Strength. When that total reaches 36, you get a permanent increase of 1 to that stat, and the extra EXP rolls over past 0.

Assuming you gained 98 levels with this equipment loadout, you'd have an extra 2 Spirit, Magic, and Speed over what your regular stats at level 99 would be, and an extra 8 Strength.

You can get the boost for Spirit as high as like 11 or 12, and Speed on Zidane as high as 7 or 8. If you use this system properly, you can easily get any character to the 50 cap on Spirit by the time they reach level 99 (iirc Quina's naturally caps at like 20). You can do other poo poo like make everyone almost as fast as Zidane and get Steiner's Strength so high that his normal attack does like 7000+ damage without crit or any crystal abilities attached.

It's basically IVs in Pokemon except there's a finite number of them available throughout the game.

Huh, interesting. This could actually be the mechanic of an RPG I would play, if everybody was a blank slate and it was more spelled out how to gain stats, so you could pick and choose equipment to make mages, physical fighters etc.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

In Training posted:

Huh, interesting. This could actually be the mechanic of an RPG I would play, if everybody was a blank slate and it was more spelled out how to gain stats, so you could pick and choose equipment to make mages, physical fighters etc.

Sounds kinda like Final Fantasy Legends.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Golden Goat posted:

Sounds kinda like Final Fantasy Legends.
AKA gameboy SaGa.

All the SaGas are maybe good examples of what goes wrong when the game is explicitly balanced around making informed decisions in that sort of system. Except Last Remnant because it took the Final Fantasy page of having all these deep systems and not needing to interact with them if all you want to do is finish the story.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

zedprime posted:

AKA gameboy SaGa.

All the SaGas are maybe good examples of what goes wrong when the game is explicitly balanced around making informed decisions in that sort of system. Except Last Remnant because it took the Final Fantasy page of having all these deep systems and not needing to interact with them if all you want to do is finish the story.

I don't know, I feel like Frontier and Minstrel Song handled it pretty well. I mean, yeah, if you tried to make every character perfectly balanced you'd end up underpowered and exceptionally bland, but I feel like that wouldn't be most people's first instinct. Ideally you give everyone one or two favored weapons, buy some magic based on whether you want them to be physical or magic-focused, and the game takes care of turning them into those things from there. Since stat growths are weighted by what you use, you're guaranteed to get someone who is at least acceptable at their chosen vocation if you use them enough.

The real problem with these games is that they absolutely refuse to tell you what you need to do to advance, so you're either going to have to find a guide or waste a lot of time aimlessly wandering.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

The White Dragon posted:

Sounds like a weird evolution of the Bonus abilities from FF8.

They took a levelling mechanic from FF8 and made it worse.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

In Training posted:

the saga games are kind of like that, only the mechanics are insanely obtuse. loving love those games though

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
It's morally right to use Amarant because he's cool

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
i just can't break up the OG crew.

thief/mage/knight/healer

thats my poo poo

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

That loving Sned posted:

Thanks for the advice on Lightning Returns. Once I got the Ultimate weapon and shield, it was much easier. I got to the final phase without them, but just couldn't stagger him.

I was put off the trials thanks to the fight against two archangels, but since you can go back to Mog and refill your items after each battle, I was able to brute force it. The Earth Eater was also difficult.

Yeah. I assume they put the ultimate weapon there so that people who didn't bother to find cool weapons can still have a good chance on the boss (there's some weapons that outclass the ultima weapon, especially on a new game +, but they're better than all the store-bought stuff). Same with the new garbs you're given then -- not the absolute best, but good enough to give you a fighting chance if you didn't bother with collecting lots of garbs. Though for stage four I actually just brute-forced it with Caius's weapon and onemanarmy like an rear end in a top hat

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

LR is pretty fundamentally different gameplay wise from the other two, right? Worth playing if I couldn't get more than about a quarter of the way through XIII, and never touched XIII-2 as a result?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

LR is pretty fundamentally different gameplay wise from the other two, right? Worth playing if I couldn't get more than about a quarter of the way through XIII, and never touched XIII-2 as a result?

drat straight it is

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I know they've collected FFIV, its interquel, and sequel all on one disc, but do these things have any connection to each other mechanically? Like does save data for one affect the other games? Cause I'll totally play through The After Years if my original save will make some serious changes to it.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

SonicRulez posted:

I know they've collected FFIV, its interquel, and sequel all on one disc, but do these things have any connection to each other mechanically? Like does save data for one affect the other games? Cause I'll totally play through The After Years if my original save will make some serious changes to it.

please don't play through The After Years

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

zedprime posted:

All the SaGas are maybe good examples of what goes wrong when the game is explicitly balanced around making informed decisions in that sort of system

Actually I'm pretty sure SaGa games are balanced, nay designed around the player having no idea how any of it works.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

SonicRulez posted:

Lol no

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Dr Pepper posted:

Actually I'm pretty sure SaGa games are balanced, nay designed around the player having no idea how any of it works.
I have the most "experience" with FFL1, and SaGa Frontier 1&2 and all 3 seemed to have difficulty cliffs where general jrpg awareness can get you through opening bits and then the training wheels come off and you better know what you're doing because grinding in the wrong way only digs a deeper grave.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

corn in the bible posted:

Yeah. I assume they put the ultimate weapon there so that people who didn't bother to find cool weapons can still have a good chance on the boss (there's some weapons that outclass the ultima weapon, especially on a new game +, but they're better than all the store-bought stuff). Same with the new garbs you're given then -- not the absolute best, but good enough to give you a fighting chance if you didn't bother with collecting lots of garbs. Though for stage four I actually just brute-forced it with Caius's weapon and onemanarmy like an rear end in a top hat

You get better equipment by beating bosses on the last day, correct? I never did that in my first run, think I'll try that out for when I play on PC again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Dr Pepper posted:

I tried to play the recently translated English patch of the original SFC romancing saga, I played for probably 5 hours and I don't think I made any plot progress whatsoever. It was a truly baffling experience though I did enjoy seeing another game that shared identical audio and visual cues with FFIV.