Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I wonder what would make it more likely for Cameron to do another one in 5 years: the sequels get progressively worse until they are just embarrassing, or they actually get better and better ala the Fast and Furious franchise.

I feel like if they are terrible Cameron is the type of guy who will see that and want to show the world how its done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

Basebf555 posted:

I wonder what would make it more likely for Cameron to do another one in 5 years: the sequels get progressively worse until they are just embarrassing, or they actually get better and better ala the Fast and Furious franchise.

I feel like if they are terrible Cameron is the type of guy who will see that and want to show the world how its done.

Then he needs to get off his blue cat, documentary lovin' rear end and save us from the tyranny of a world in which Bill Paxton doesn't get his poo poo wrecked.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I think Cameron's said he's pretty much done with directing them at this point. I do think on the whole, moving past the idea of time travel was for the best, though if Matrix wasn't complete poo poo at this point, Genisys would've been a pretty good way to tie the two franchises together with John Connor essentially serving as the basis of "The One."

If they could get some well respected director to take the helm, I think some legitimately good films could be made.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
One 'comedy'/self-referential thing I am sort of surprised on retrospect that the film didn't take advantage of, mainly due to no on having any time for anyone in the movie to be exposed to the idea, was some product placement of 80s things being shown as still popular in 2017 thanks to reboots, retro-kitsch, etc.

Am I saying the movie needed a fight between Arnold and a T-3000 that tore went through a retro collectibles store where they were smashing the poo poo out of vintage Transformers, Gi Joes, Star Wars toys, and Laserdiscs and NES systems? I dunno.

VVV
edit:
Even better. We are done with the 80s, again: Let's smash the hell out of it all one more time.

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jul 21, 2015

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

JediTalentAgent posted:

One 'comedy'/self-referential thing I am sort of surprised on retrospect that the film didn't take advantage of, mainly due to no on having any time for anyone in the movie to be exposed to the idea, was some product placement of 80s things being shown as still popular in 2017 thanks to reboots, retro-kitsch, etc.

Am I saying the movie needed a fight between Arnold and a T-3000 that tore went through a retro collectibles store where they were smashing the poo poo out of vintage Transformers, Gi Joes, Star Wars toys, and Laserdiscs and NES systems? I dunno.

We're pretty much done with retro 80s stuff now, it's retro 90s stuff that's getting in style.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

One of the best moments of the entire show

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
Terminator Genisys gets China release date on August 23rd. http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/terminator-genisys-gets-china-release-810285

Considering the last Transformers movie made $320 Million there I'm predicting this will make $200+ Million easily. Congrats Arnold.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqHrTtvFFIs

People are loving determined to make Terminator happen.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Would you say they are loving determinatored?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Remote car hijacking, not just for Terminator 3 anymore!

http://www.wired.com/2015/07/hackers-remotely-kill-jeep-highway/

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Neo Rasa posted:

Remote car hijacking, not just for Terminator 3 anymore!

http://www.wired.com/2015/07/hackers-remotely-kill-jeep-highway/

In T3 the T-X actually had to have physical access to get into the CAN bus.

This new poo poo is what Skynet/Genisys will use.

Trollipop
Apr 10, 2007

hippin and hoppin
So... who sent Arnold back in time?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Trollipop posted:

So... who sent Arnold back in time?

Find out next movie, where you'll also probably find out how Skynet knew to send John Conner to 2017.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

Find out next movie, where you'll also probably find out how Skynet knew to send John Conner to 2017.
2014 :ssh:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Whatever! :v:

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

I wonder if Terminator: Genisys will be able to recreate that magical feeling when you reach the date in the future set by a movie, like when you watch Predator 2 and then it's 1999 and you get all sad because nothing is like Predator 2 said it would be.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Grendels Dad posted:

I wonder if Terminator: Genisys will be able to recreate that magical feeling when you reach the date in the future set by a movie, like when you watch Predator 2 and then it's 1999 and you get all sad because nothing is like Predator 2 said it would be.

Detroit is kind close.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Azubah posted:

Detroit is kind close.

RoboCop DID call the future pretty drat well

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Azubah posted:

Detroit is kind close.

The last piece of the puzzle will be when cops start carrying around Desert Eagles with gigantic laser scopes on them. Won't be long now.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Grendels Dad posted:

If not, this site can do it every day for you! http://martymcflyinthefuture.tumblr.com/

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Azubah posted:

Detroit is kind close.

It's more Chicago. Detroit has little to no gang activity (or cops, for that matter), just a lot of person to person violence in the more desolate areas. Predator would be bored.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Darko posted:

Detroit has little to no gang activity

Post of the year, folks.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Immortan posted:

Post of the year, folks.

It's true actually, most of the gangs here have learned that there's virtually nothing of value so it's a waste of time to do anything in Detroit itself aside from have your base here. Most of them drive out to the suburbs to do poo poo like jack cars or burglarize houses and most of the gangs leave each other alone except for the teenage members who don't know better yet.

Source: i live here and i've known gang members

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Shima Honnou posted:

It's true actually, most of the gangs here have learned that there's virtually nothing of value so it's a waste of time to do anything in Detroit itself aside from have your base here. Most of them drive out to the suburbs to do poo poo like jack cars or burglarize houses and most of the gangs leave each other alone except for the teenage members who don't know better yet.

I have a friend out in Royal Oak and she says their crime rates are pretty bad for poo poo like you've mentioned, her apartment in Novi got the door kicked in a dozen times in a year so she bailed out of there.

Chicago's south side is the worst. I was driving through the Heights 10 years ago at night with my window down. At a stop light a cop came roaring up, yelled at me for being wreckless and ordered me to follow him to a safer place.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Shima Honnou posted:

I think it's amusing in a very dark way that crime could go down because everybody is too poor to steal from.

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

Rhyno posted:

I have a friend out in Royal Oak and she says their crime rates are pretty bad for poo poo like you've mentioned, her apartment in Novi got the door kicked in a dozen times in a year so she bailed out of there.

Chicago's south side is the worst. I was driving through the Heights 10 years ago at night with my window down. At a stop light a cop came roaring up, yelled at me for being wreckless and ordered me to follow him to a safer place.
COME WITH ME IF YOU WANT TO LIVE.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Grendels Dad posted:

I think it's amusing in a very dark way that crime could go down because everybody is too poor to steal from.

It's not even really that, there's just nothing here in the neighborhoods. It's not just that people are poor, the neighborhoods are lacking people. The downtown is revitalized to a degree to be a decent little mid level downtown, but that has not expanded to the neighborhood flight yet, so there are places with a 3 block radius with only a few squatters in the actual neighborhood. And the city is spread out as wide in area as LA basically. So you get a lot of nothing.

That's also why it's dangerous. Downtown and the suburbs are fine, but if you're wandering in an area with nothing, its just like being in a dark alley in the middle of the night.

Not good Predator hunting.

Darko fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jul 23, 2015

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Rhyno posted:

Sounds like we need some Terminators to deal with Chicago gangs.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

duz posted:

They have about five years until they lose the rights, they're going to make as much as they can regardless of quality until then.

Not necessarily.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Grendels Dad posted:

Robocop and Detroit will like to have a work with you.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Tenzarin posted:

Robocop and Detroit will like to have a work with you.

Is it the new Robocop? Because I want to give him a hug and tell him that I like him.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!

Darko posted:

It's not even really that, there's just nothing here in the neighborhoods. It's not just that people are poor, the neighborhoods are lacking people. The downtown is revitalized to a degree to be a decent little mid level downtown, but that has not expanded to the neighborhood flight yet, so there are places with a 3 block radius with only a few squatters in the actual neighborhood. And the city is spread out as wide in area as LA basically. So you get a lot of nothing.

That's also why it's dangerous. Downtown and the suburbs are fine, but if you're wandering in an area with nothing, its just like being in a dark alley in the middle of the night.

Not good Predator hunting.

So basically it isn't so much urban as it is a rural wasteland composed of a decaying urban infrastructure.

This would seem to be a good time to point out that Dhalgren wasn't really science-fiction.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

This is why you don't leave plot points like who sent Pops back hanging.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
Arnold continues to own.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPixbDs52NY

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

Spacebump posted:

This is why you don't leave plot points like who sent Pops back hanging.

I was mildly entertained by the new movie, but they need to let it go.

I'd be interested in a new movie unrelated to the current Terminator movies that used the T800 (not Arnold) as the antagonist, but I don't know how they would do this without just remaking the original.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

ghostwritingduck posted:

I was mildly entertained by the new movie, but they need to let it go.

I'd be interested in a new movie unrelated to the current Terminator movies that used the T800 (not Arnold) as the antagonist, but I don't know how they would do this without just remaking the original.
At one point as a thought experiment I tried to come up with a way to remake 'The Terminator', but do it in a way that "the twist" is that Reese really is in fact crazy and delusional like the police say he is, and that he and "the terminator" aren't actually from "the future".

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
Revealing the John Connor twist in the trailer though really was a lovely move.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Xenomrph posted:

At one point as a thought experiment I tried to come up with a way to remake 'The Terminator', but do it in a way that "the twist" is that Reese really is in fact crazy and delusional like the police say he is, and that he and "the terminator" aren't actually from "the future".

They already did this. It's called The Terminator.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

He was probably on PCP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I'm going to quote a post from another thread that seems apropos right about now.

When everything in the film contradicts your interpretation, it means that you've messed up and need to start over.

• Locked thread