Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
3 miles is easy peasy. Even on big Seattle hills I use our city's bike share and walk it up the super steeps and just aim for the more level streets (East wests are hills here, north souths are less so)

I'm not a regular rider and not riding on an optimal bike but I can do 2 miles in 15 minutes to speed up my commute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
I'm honestly not trying to pile on, but if it takes 45+ minutes to ride 3 miles, you're not really "fit enough" to ride 3 miles. I've got a 1.5 mile commute to work and it takes me 7 or 8 minutes by bike. I've got a friend who lives exactly 3 miles away and it takes me under 15 minutes to get there (or back) in flip-flops on my $80 Craigslist bike.

Don't buy an electric bike. Get the Strava app on your phone and start tracking your rides on whatever bike you have. It's fun to see progress.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
3.3 miles :bahgawd:!

I'm not fit enough to ride the ride to work in a reasonable time, correct.

My bike needs some work also. The tire pressure is way too low, it's a mountain bike with new stubby tires, the chain is likely stretched, I can't remember if it's necessary but the hub bearings may need lube, etc. What I meant by doing it "right" above meant taking care of some of this stuff, getting some fenders, using my water-reservoir backpack, I need to perform a tuneup, etc. It's a nice bike that I think should work fine (2010 Specialized Hardrock), but it needs some love first.

As I said I want to try out some different things and different scenarios before making any decision. That gravel road shortcut I found if it worked out would take me off the road at night (a concern), there's one small uphill section, it's very nearly a direct line from my work to my house, and it'd be a blast on a bike (I could hit some sweet jumps on the way).

I'm going to give it a go this weekend to see how it goes. I'll definitely check out that app too.

Old Fart
Jul 25, 2013
Sigh.

The concern is getting home on time. But am I reading right that getting home is downhill? Tell your boss that you have a baby and a schedule and that you do not stay late. Period.

All you do is field emails and phone calls. There are two of you in the office and your boss fucks off half the time anyway. How have you not negotiated partial work from home? You're all willing to throw a lovely job offer in his face, but you can't talk to him about your situation? He says he knows you're underpaid. Tell him this is the non-monetary compensation you need. Hell, you'd even be available more hours, since you wouldn't have to rush home.

WTF, dude, it's three goddamn miles. You don't need to tune up for the Tour de France. Get the chain tightened, pump your tires, change clothes at work. Excuses, excuses, excuses.

Old Fart fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jul 23, 2015

Old Fart
Jul 25, 2013
This thread is like Game of Thrones. A lot of poo poo seems to happen, and yet hardly anything happens.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Old Fart posted:

Sigh.

The concern is getting home on time. But am I reading right that getting home is downhill? Tell your boss that you have a baby and a schedule and that you do not stay late. Period.

All you do is field emails and phone calls. There are two of you in the office and your boss fucks off half the time anyway. How have you not negotiated partial work from home? You're all willing to throw a lovely job offer in his face, but you can't talk to him about your situation? He says he knows you're underpaid. Tell him this is the non-monetary compensation you need. Hell, you'd even be available more hours, since you wouldn't have to rush home.

WTF, dude, it's three goddamn miles. You don't need to tune up for the Tour de France. Get the chain tightened, pump your tires, change clothes at work. Excuses, excuses, excuses.

3.3 miles!

I don't believe I'm making excuses. I'm actually coming up with things I need to do first to try to make it viable for me. Not for anyone else, but for me. Maybe I'll just go buy a second car like a normal person.

Old Fart posted:

This thread is like Game of Thrones. A lot of poo poo seems to happen, and yet hardly anything happens.

I die before the end (riding a bike) and then the thread gets bad for awhile

e "gets" right? Beating one of you to the punch line here

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jul 23, 2015

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Knyteguy posted:

I don't believe I'm making excuses.

Time yourself on your bike. I refuse to believe it actually takes you an hour. Fat old drunks ride twice that fast.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Inept posted:

Time yourself on your bike. I refuse to believe it actually takes you an hour. Fat old drunks ride twice that fast.

Hm. Alright I'll try to bike to work this weekend to see exactly how long it takes me. It may have been 40 minutes actually, I'm not sure. I can then bike back on the offroad route to see how that goes, since that will be the same either way.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
By all means, fix the bike up if it's in bad shape. There's a world of difference between riding a really worn down, poorly-maintained bike versus one in good condition.

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for
:sparkles: :sparkles:
This is exactly what I suspected, that you never actually did it and timed it. Download mapmyride app for free. If you buy a car or a motorized bike for three miles.... Dude, you might as well start washing yourself with a rag on a stick.

Just. Start. Doing. It. I get up early and ride ten miles before work 4-5 times a week, and it takes me almost exactly 46 minutes. With many hills.

It is good for your health. It is good for your wallet. It gets infinitely easier faster than you can imagine.

:effort:

Old Fart
Jul 25, 2013

Knyteguy posted:

I don't believe I'm making excuses. I'm actually coming up with things I need to do first to try to make it viable for me. Not for anyone else, but for me. Maybe I'll just go buy a second car like a normal person.

So what about this excuse that you can't bike to work because you need to get home ASAP and it's hilly? You said it's downhill on the way home. 3.3 miles on a bike downhill is barely slower than a car. gently caress, I used to bike 3.2 miles every week after a poker game up to a lovely burger joint while drunk and stoned and hungry. And that was on a poorly maintained cheap hybrid. You know how you get better and faster at biking 3.3 miles? By biking 3.3 miles.

As to the other stuff, loving do it. Take it to a local bike shop and get it done. All you need is a tightened chain, air in the tires, and some lube and alignment. Don't make it some project you want to learn to do yourself, because then you'll never loving do it. You don't need fenders, you want fenders. Bike to work in a tshirt and keep a few sets of clothes at your desk. Who cares if you wear the same tie all week. You list wearing your water pack as something you need to do. YOU ALREADY HAVE IT. These are excuses.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
Air in the tires is probably the biggest thing, get those pumped up, go to a gas station if you don't have a pump, just don't explode them (normal PSI is ~30-35, but check the tire, it will have it listed). You'll need to top this up every week or so, tires lose air. Lubing the chain is also nice, and cleaning it up first, but unless it's physically locking up, it's probably not a big deal. Budget $5 for a thing of lube at some point.

Riding to work might be a hassle, but it's saving money, and it's getting exercise like your therapist recommended, isn't that win win? Plus downhill all the way home? That sounds amazing.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
I find it hard to believe I can almost out-walk your to work time on a bike. I'm guessing the day you were late, you left really late.

I'm also confused by the not working remote part time thing. I'm at a super paper heavy (ITS ALL loving EXCEL AND PAPER!!) company and I can work remote some days. I'm sure my boss prefers my remote work too, as my entires and etc are all digitally tied out and she can actually read what I write!

Does your boss just want to see you there for 40 or something? It almost feels like that for me, but I got the go ahead to stop doing that being I'm going so hard for the first 1-2.5wks of close. (As does my whole team, but I like remote work and I guess they don't???)

KG, do you have a harbor freight locally? You can get a 12v pump for under $10 with a coupon if you do.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Why don't you walk the bike up the first hill on the way in if it's mad steep (15 minutes, probably?) and then bike the other two point three miles? Then you can book it on the way home.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Knyteguy posted:

Did you go with a conversion kit, or off the shelf? Is it passive or active? Does it just keep your pedaling cadence steady like you do changing gears? Also do you mind mentioning what kind of bike you have if you went with a kit? If you ridden it in snow, how does that work? How heavy is heavy for a battery? Did you go Lithium Ion or Lead-Acid?

I'm a lucky rear end in a top hat and it was a used bike that was given to me so I only know a few answers, but I'll try to find the rest out. It's an off-the-shelf electric, has pedal assist and a throttle (so both passive and active I guess). On pedal assist, it figures out when you are pedaling at a steady pace and gives you a little boost, I'd guess like 50% faster than my normal pedal speed. That's a wild-rear end guess but it's noticeably faster. I live in So Cal so no snow, the tires are definitely pavement tires anyway. Pretty sure the battery is lithium-ion, to be honest with you, I wouldn't know how to figure it out.

Robo Boogie Bot posted:

Leave the house at 8:10 then? :confused:

I think Knyte's trying not to increase his babysitting costs (and his sister's stress) by making her spend extra time with the baby. That's why it's so important to keep the commute time down. Maybe I am more sympathetic because I have been trying to run lately and I am slow as gently caress and I can't seem to get any faster. (See my whiny posts in the running thread :o:) But a commute with a time limit (because baby) isn't the most fun way to get in shape. Maybe Knyteguy can get his commute time down in 2 or 3 months, but by then, will his sister have exploded? Dunno.

You've GOT to get air in those tires though. I bet that as soon as your tires are actually properly inflated, your commute time will lower by 15 minutes.

Old Fart
Jul 25, 2013
One thing I do recommend on a bike are foot straps. Not clips with special shoes, just straps you can slide your shoe into. You're just wasting potential force on the up-pedal otherwise. (I have no idea if I'm using proper terms. I'm not an enthusiast, just a dude who likes to ride bikes.)

I'm also confused how the route is totally uphill if you take one road, but level ground if you take another.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Knyteguy posted:

3.3 miles!

I die before the end (riding a bike) and then the thread gets bad for awhile

e "gets" right? Beating one of you to the punch line here

Dude
You just used the excuse of there is not enough air in my tires. That's pretty much the Mt. Everest of excuses. Didn't you have funds set aside in your budget for quite a while for bike maintenance? Why is it falling apart?

Stop telling him to buy poo poo in this thread. He doesn't need pedal straps, he doesn't an electric bike. He needs to pump up his tires and start riding to work.

Grouco
Jan 13, 2005
I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member.
Knyteguy has no drive or follow through. It's all talk, shell games, and platitudes. I honestly don't know why this thread is still going. Cue KG chiming in on how much "progress" he's made over the last year.

Are you a man or a boy? What sort of example will you set for your son? You should be moving hell and earth to provide the best life possible for your family, yet you can't buck up, rise early, and make tangible + verifiable progress on being able to ride a bike to work? That's right, "work," something you've continually failed to demonstrate you're willing to do to improve your situation. gently caress. Excuse after excuse, and you can't seem to put it all together. You need a strong kick in the rear end. In real life. All this thread is doing is pushing your endorphin buttons with immediate attention and gratification for every dithering excuse of an update you decide to post. Do you have any strong male figures in your life? You need to take control of your destiny. Not to get all cinematic, but think about what men, fathers, had to go through years ago attempting to provide for their loved ones without all the quote-unquote advances of modern society.

But no, you can't bike up a hill. You can't go through pain. You can't make tough decisions. You can't stick to a plan. It all "should work," based on your "napkin math," and "don't worry guys I've THOUGHT ABOUT it guys it all SEEMS reasonable why would this be a bad decision or poor habit to develop and oh poo poo look what happened what do you think about this harebrained scheme I've concocted to one again distract myself from addressing REAL loving ISSUES? Oh but don't worry, my grandma said it was a good idea."

Let's all congratulate KG as he slides through life like a slug on a treadmill.

Wake the gently caress up, "man."

Grouco fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jul 23, 2015

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
I haven't figured out how just yet, but somehow this bike commuting thing is going to get completely hosed. A week ago we got on the outdoor exercise train and the next thing you know there's a $700 vet bill from a dog walk. Does anybody believe for a minute that KG is going to start riding his bike to work and stick with it without there being some drama or unforeseen event that completely undermines the whole effort?

Grouco
Jan 13, 2005

Easychair Bootson posted:

I haven't figured out how just yet, but somehow this bike commuting thing is going to get completely hosed. A week ago we got on the outdoor exercise train and the next thing you know there's a $700 vet bill from a dog walk. Does anybody believe for a minute that KG is going to start riding his bike to work and stick with it without there being some drama or unforeseen event that completely undermines the whole effort?

It's ok, he'll just ask for it to be a verboten topic in the thread and continue to obliviously waltz through KG land.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Nice post Grouco.

Spot on.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Grouco posted:

Are you a man or a boy? What sort of example will you set for your son?

Do you have any strong male figures in your life? You need to take control of your destiny. Not to get all cinematic, but think about what men, fathers, had to go through years ago attempting to provide for their loved ones without all the quote-unquote advances of modern society.

...Wake the gently caress up, "man."

I think you have some weird machismo issues

Grouco
Jan 13, 2005

Inept posted:

I think you have some weird machismo issues

Good thing this thread isn't about me.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
The kid really is overlooked in this thread. It's as if it's another pet. Just another line item in the budget, literally. Nothing has changed. If that won't spur him into action, it's not going to happen.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

Old Fart posted:

One thing I do recommend on a bike are foot straps. Not clips with special shoes, just straps you can slide your shoe into. You're just wasting potential force on the up-pedal otherwise. (I have no idea if I'm using proper terms. I'm not an enthusiast, just a dude who likes to ride bikes.)

They are called "clips", hence pedals with cleats being called the confusing "clipless" term.

Also there is a brand called power grips that are amazing. http://www.powergrips.com

But don't buy anything, just bike.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

For real. Get your bike tires full of air. I am 100% confident this will solve your issues with commuting by bike. Do not try anything else (well, maybe the chain stuff) until you get to a gas station and get your tires inflated.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Grouco posted:

Knyteguy has no drive or follow through. It's all talk, shell games, and platitudes. I honestly don't know why this thread is still going. Cue KG chiming in on how much "progress" he's made over the last year.

Are you a man or a boy? What sort of example will you set for your son? You should be moving hell and earth to provide the best life possible for your family, yet you can't buck up, rise early, and make tangible + verifiable progress on being able to ride a bike to work? That's right, "work," something you've continually failed to demonstrate you're willing to do to improve your situation. gently caress. Excuse after excuse, and you can't seem to put it all together. You need a strong kick in the rear end. In real life. All this thread is doing is pushing your endorphin buttons with immediate attention and gratification for every dithering excuse of an update you decide to post. Do you have any strong male figures in your life? You need to take control of your destiny. Not to get all cinematic, but think about what men, fathers, had to go through years ago attempting to provide for their loved ones without all the quote-unquote advances of modern society.

But no, you can't bike up a hill. You can't go through pain. You can't make tough decisions. You can't stick to a plan. It all "should work," based on your "napkin math," and "don't worry guys I've THOUGHT ABOUT it guys it all SEEMS reasonable why would this be a bad decision or poor habit to develop and oh poo poo look what happened what do you think about this harebrained scheme I've concocted to one again distract myself from addressing REAL loving ISSUES? Oh but don't worry, my grandma said it was a good idea."

Let's all congratulate KG as he slides through life like a slug on a treadmill.

Wake the gently caress up, "man."

This is a good and useful post. You remind me of my drill sergeant uncle who screams YOU NEED TO MAN UP at his two year old grandson

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Lmao this thread is funny sometimes.

Well I have an air compressor, and i just picked up a little air inflation kit with a psi gauge, so if my bug bombs in the garage are done before I go to bed then I'll give a ride to work a go in the morning. I set them about 45 minutes ago so it's feasible.

Sig I have Thursdays remote, but my boss is kinda not happy about remote days. If he's out of town though I can remote every day unless my coworker comes in (she's kind of a slacker sometimes I think he likes me there to keep it professional.)

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
For reals though, the central thesis that kg is continuing to play shell games with finances and handwave important issues and be evasive regarding information that either puts him in a bad light or would likely spur us to tell him to do something he doesn't want to do is still solid.

Grouco
Jan 13, 2005

Knyteguy posted:

sometimes

Sounds like you've got everything under control. Good luck.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

This is a good and useful post. You remind me of my drill sergeant uncle who screams YOU NEED TO MAN UP at his two year old grandson

Ah, it also reminds me of my grandfather who broke my 11 year old uncle's nose at the table, because he was crying about not getting a new pair of shoes.

It's silly to question my masculinity and devotion to my son and family based on some posts on the internet. However everyone is entitled to their opinions and all, so I appreciate the sharing nonetheless.

E thanks for the info on the ebike Hawkgirl!

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jul 23, 2015

Grouco
Jan 13, 2005
Are you going to address any of the other issues I, among others, raised, or just cherry pick those that serve to deflect the serious conversation about your inability to effect change and meaningful progress in your life?

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Grouco posted:

Are you going to address any of the other issues I, among others, raised, or just cherry pick those that serve to deflect the serious conversation about your inability to effect change and meaningful progress in your life?
Just to add a dash of context here: you are making GBS threads your pants over a person on the internet talking about riding their bike to work in case their spouse decides to change jobs. It's entirely possible that this situation of needing to figure out transportation will not even take place, because his wife won't take the job. Your posts say much less about KG and a lot more about yourself than you realize.

And I shouldn't just direct that statement at grouco. Expensive vs cheap transportation is an important issue. It's not one worth hulking out over, however. Especially while it's still in the theoretical stage for gently caress's sake.

Grouco
Jan 13, 2005
It is not just the bike, and it is not just my post. These sitcom "episodes" are endemic of an overall trend evident throughout this thread. But I have nothing more to add, so I'll just sit back and continue to enjoy the comedic offerings of the SA Forums.

:cheers:

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Grouco posted:

I believe that I have made changes, and I also believe there are more things to change moving forward. One way to read what I wrote would be that I'm looking for excuses not to bike. That would be the incorrect way to perceive my words, though. I was actually looking for a reason to bike and what I'd need to get in line and get ready to do it. More aptly, I'm looking for a way to not buy a second car if my wife gets this job.

I do have a bike fund, yes. $50 is currently in it.

Ah I didn't catch the context there MRC. I really like what you posted ^ as I believe it correctly captures the situation.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jul 23, 2015

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!

Knyteguy posted:

Lmao this thread is funny sometimes.

Well I have an air compressor, and i just picked up a little air inflation kit with a psi gauge, so if my bug bombs in the garage are done before I go to bed then I'll give a ride to work a go in the morning. I set them about 45 minutes ago so it's feasible.

Sig I have Thursdays remote, but my boss is kinda not happy about remote days. If he's out of town though I can remote every day unless my coworker comes in (she's kind of a slacker sometimes I think he likes me there to keep it professional.)

Please tell me these bug bombs are from the landlord and you aren't paying for pest control in a house that belongs to someone else? If you are, have you considered that at the very least the owner should be informed that there's a bug problem?

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Geizkragen posted:

Please tell me these bug bombs are from the landlord and you aren't paying for pest control in a house that belongs to someone else? If you are, have you considered that at the very least the owner should be informed that there's a bug problem?

Let me preface this with I could be wrong how I approached this. I'm open to suggestions for future reference.

I did pay $12 for some bug bombs (from the household goods budget). There's a few black widow spiders in the second garage, and I'm kind of a big chicken when it comes to spiders. The garage has cracks in the siding that bugs use to get into the garage from outside; would it be recommended that I address this with the landlord?

I will read up on what I should expect from a landlord, and what they should expect from me. I'm pretty ignorant in the matter.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
It's fine to pay 12 bucks for bug bombs for minor bug poo poo. It's also fine to hassle the landlord instead. it's a judgment call and a matter personal preference. Doesn't sound like an actual bug problem to me.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Yeah it's spider season. You just gotta deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Wife gets new job, drops you off with bike, you work 8 hours + whatever you do for lunch, you coast home down all the hills in 15-20 min.

Also in 40-45 min I ride 10.7 miles to work... (granted only 250' climbing there and 450' back, lots of stop lights though)

• Locked thread