Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

SectumSempra posted:

It's very confusing trying to figure out which batman comics are worth reading because it seems like everyone likes something different when it comes to batman.
Like I'm personally more interested in everyone than batman and joker.
Try:
Chuck Dixon's Nightwing
Dixon's or Gail Simone's Birds of Prey
Gotham Academy
Greg Rucka and Ed Brubaker's Gotham Central
Greg Rucka's Batwoman
Brubaker's Catwoman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

They backtracked on that real quick and the explanation now is that Joker edited himself into old photographs to gently caress with Batman.

This is new to me too and I loving love this. The fact that they backtracked at all implies Batman actually believed those photos were real for a period of time.

Batman, and cape comics in general, are a weird and usually terrible thing. I followed Batman in particular fairly extensively for a long time in my teens but eventually found that the stories got better when you waited for games or movies or cartoons to cherrypick the interesting stories and rewrite them to not be hot garbage.

Professor Pyg is never going to be anything more than a lovely shock value villain to me though no matter what they do :v:

nerdbot fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jul 22, 2015

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

SectumSempra posted:

It's very confusing trying to figure out which batman comics are worth reading because it seems like everyone likes something different when it comes to batman.
Like I'm personally more interested in everyone than batman and joker.

Joker is a bit odd, since the best interactions are probably in single issues and not really any arcs.

This is a pretty good collection of single issues though:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Joker-Greatest-Stories-Batman/dp/1401218083

surc
Aug 17, 2004

JetsGuy posted:

"Two-Face's guards won't hear me above the alarm. No need to be quiet."

*guards immediately hear the first punch you throw*

No no no, it's just their lovely line of sight triggering when it shouldn't, they're not hearing you. It took me a bit to pin it down, but it's definitely being triggered by sight not sound, and once you figure that out you can get a feel for how to avoid it.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

On the topic of good Batman stories, apparently Batman: Black and White is really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKPLopZt6b4

Perpetual Mourning by Ted McKeever from Batman: Black & White, Volume 1 is one of the best Batman stories I've ever read. I have the first four volumes. The quality varies and volume 1 is probably the strongest overall.

Very tangentially related, but one of the reasons Batman: Year One is a quintessential Batman book for me is how faithful it was to city life (and city crime) in the 1980s. I've never heard this connection mentioned anywhere, but it's one of those details that really solidifies Year One as a truly honest story. One of the more memorable moments of Year One is when a corrupt Gotham SWAT team firebombs a derelict building, trapping Batman and killing several unfortunate homeless people in the process.

I've always wondered if Frank Miller was inspired by the 1985 bombing of MOVE headquarters in Philadelphia. MOVE was a black power group whose headquarters were firebombed by Philadelphia SWAT during an armed standoff with police. 11 people - including 5 children - were killed in the resulting fire, and about 60 neighboring homes were destroyed. I just watched a documentary about it on Netflix since I only knew the broad strokes beforehand and holy gently caress the documentary was harrowing and depressing. It's called Let the Fire Burn and it was a really bleak snapshot of police corruption and the racial situation of the 1980s. Worth a watch.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Catwoman still has her kiss move in Arkham Knight.

So, she can kiss robots. :psyduck:

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

nerdbot posted:

Professor Pyg is never going to be anything more than a lovely shock value villain to me though no matter what they do :v:

A villain inspired from Pygmalion is a step up from cribbing from Alice in Wonderland. What Batman villain are you comparing Pyg to? He's definitely one of the better Batman villains from the last twenty years.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Professor Pyg is the best new Batman villain the last like...20 years, probably.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Catwoman still has her kiss move in Arkham Knight.

So, she can kiss robots. :psyduck:

Yeah, I was surprised about this too. Makes Video Game Sense™.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
If Joker can gently caress EDI y'all can deal with Selina smooching Riddler bots.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I actually really like the Pyg stuff in AC. The only thing I'll say is that 1) It was entirely too short and unexplored (Though congratulations on being one of the only sidequests that actually change things up a bit) and 2) I had some serious flashbacks to the Doctor from Bioshock, even his motivation is practically the same.

It's weird being totally finished with the game. The last trophies I had left were in the studios and it was odd going back there (Or the airships etc) and walking around a big empty space. There's an unintended sense of finality to the game that has Batman doing one last thing before vanishing (As an added touch, I ended up in Wayne Towers to solve one of the riddles and just listened to his messages on the machine), it's just a shame that one last thing you're doing is going around and collecting loving trophies.

I liked his final talk with Catwoman though, I just wish it had been a little more delicate. He's vanishing forever, he doesn't quite need to be so short and stoic with her.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Wrong thread

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

DrVenkman posted:

I actually really like the Pyg stuff in AC. The only thing I'll say is that 1) It was entirely too short and unexplored (Though congratulations on being one of the only sidequests that actually change things up a bit) and 2) I had some serious flashbacks to the Doctor from Bioshock, even his motivation is practically the same.

It's weird being totally finished with the game. The last trophies I had left were in the studios and it was odd going back there (Or the airships etc) and walking around a big empty space. There's an unintended sense of finality to the game that has Batman doing one last thing before vanishing (As an added touch, I ended up in Wayne Towers to solve one of the riddles and just listened to his messages on the machine), it's just a shame that one last thing you're doing is going around and collecting loving trophies.

I liked his final talk with Catwoman though, I just wish it had been a little more delicate. He's vanishing forever, he doesn't quite need to be so short and stoic with her.

Yeah postgame can be kinda lonely/boring, I always try to ration out storyline/side missions so the game feels like things "matter" for as long as possible, but there's no getting around a few trophies at the end. It would be cool if the sky brightened and dawn approached as you got closer to 100%, rioter patterns changed, things like that to provide some sense of change and movement still.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

surc posted:

No no no, it's just their lovely line of sight triggering when it shouldn't, they're not hearing you. It took me a bit to pin it down, but it's definitely being triggered by sight not sound, and once you figure that out you can get a feel for how to avoid it.

This is what it was. After a few attempts after I posted I figured out they were "seeing me" So I just was the same caution as always.

Still not sure how the gently caress to get the 3*s for that challenge . that's going to be a bitch.

Gatac
Apr 22, 2008

Fifty Cent's next biopic.

JetsGuy posted:

This is what it was. After a few attempts after I posted I figured out they were "seeing me" So I just was the same caution as always.

Still not sure how the gently caress to get the 3*s for that challenge . that's going to be a bitch.

Abandon all notions of not getting seen or shot - smash through windows, use the remote hack takedowns, never do a silent takedown without a smash to speed it up, and have a fully upgraded fear takedown to handle five goons in one go. If somebody shoots you, don't run - batclaw that sucker and get in close for the takedown. I got it at about 35 seconds first try, so it's definitely doable if you're aggressive enough.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
(near-end game location blacked out) My next directive is to eliminate the goons who have taken over the Clock Tower. I'd also like to finish off the road mine and militia outpost side-missions before the end of the game--can I still do this after the clocktower or am I going to be locked into the main game campaign right after?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

redbackground posted:

(near-end game location blacked out) My next directive is to eliminate the goons who have taken over the Clock Tower. I'd also like to finish off the road mine and militia outpost side-missions before the end of the game--can I still do this after the clocktower or am I going to be locked into the main game campaign right after?

The end of the main campaign is impossible to miss. The last checkpoints, towers, etc, will also unlock at that point even though you can do them in the post game.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

I decided I wanted to finish all the sidequests before I even started the final story mission (which meant I got the Robin riddle in Panessa Studios last, then immediately turned around and hosed off) and I gotta say - I feel real bad for Eddie in this game. I mean, real bad. Just about everybody who mentions him, including Joker of all people, make it pretty clear that Eddie's mental state is deteriorating so badly that he's going to wind up dead sooner rather than later. He doesn't look like he's been sleeping, he doesn't look like he's been eating, and he definitely doesn't look like he's taken a shower within the last month. He just looks like he's been staying upright through the sheer force of his incredibly hatred.

Eddie, you're my favorite villain, please take better care of yourself :smith:

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Is there any date on when they'll release more DLC? And will they put out the Red Hood dlc at some point?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I know folks don't enjoy its length, but it really seems like the Riddler material had a lot of design work poured into it this time around. There are a lot of great conditional touches, like Catwoman having different facial expressions when she uses a key she knows will work vs one she isn't sure about, and the general player training on the racetracks and the co-op rooms is very well handled.

I still want actual, difficult puzzles, but that's probably never going to happen in this kind of game.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

McCloud posted:

Is there any date on when they'll release more DLC? And will they put out the Red Hood dlc at some point?

august for skins and batmobile dlc. god knows what else after

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Discendo Vox posted:

I know folks don't enjoy its length, but it really seems like the Riddler material had a lot of design work poured into it this time around. There are a lot of great conditional touches, like Catwoman having different facial expressions when she uses a key she knows will work vs one she isn't sure about, and the general player training on the racetracks and the co-op rooms is very well handled.

I still want actual, difficult puzzles, but that's probably never going to happen in this kind of game.

I am more annoyed at the sheer volume of them when at least half of them were pretty much walking to a building and picking it up. No more work required. But I enjoyed those at least more than those batmobile follow the question mark ones.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Discendo Vox posted:

I think most people would trade 250 trophies for say 50-100 genuinely hard ones. However, then WB couldn't brag about X hours of gameplay (x% is hunting down dumb trophies).

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The one thing that bugs me about being spotted by thugs during predator sections is that you still get the extreme slowdown/get out of there or throw a batarang thing happen even if you've sabotaged their gun to jam or even knock them unconscious. It's kinda annoying to be choking out one thug and then have to sit there waiting out an extreme slow-mo section just so the thug who spotted you can knock himself out.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
The Batman newspaper strips are pretty amazing and have just been reprinted.

Nckdictator fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jul 23, 2015

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

MinibarMatchman posted:

august for skins and batmobile dlc. god knows what else after

http://gamerant.com/batman-arkham-knight-season-pass-dlc-details-batgirl/

Found this article that says we'll be getting

1 story DLC about batman
1 dlc about Batgirl (that's the one that got released last week)
1 dlc involving his allies (Nightwing, robin, catwoman?)

Costumes, extra race tracks, skins for the car.

If you got the season pass then all that stuff will be made available to you.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Nckdictator posted:

Plot to Arkham World confirmed

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Die Laughing posted:

A villain inspired from Pygmalion is a step up from cribbing from Alice in Wonderland. What Batman villain are you comparing Pyg to? He's definitely one of the better Batman villains from the last twenty years.

I feel like the whole "he mutilates people and makes them genderless fleshdrones" angle is the same breed of comically, pointlessly capital-E Edgy as Joker cutting off his face and wearing it as a mask. I feel the same way about Pyg as I do about Zsasz, they're both these villains who are just so impossibly hosed up and gross that it's hilarious and I can't take them seriously. It just always feels like they're trying too hard.

Nckdictator posted:

holy poo poo

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

nerdbot posted:

I feel like the whole "he mutilates people and makes them genderless fleshdrones" angle is the same breed of comically, pointlessly capital-E Edgy as Joker cutting off his face and wearing it as a mask. I feel the same way about Pyg as I do about Zsasz, they're both these villains who are just so impossibly hosed up and gross that it's hilarious and I can't take them seriously. It just always feels like they're trying too hard.

It's really not E for Edgy at all. In the original story it's actually pretty sensible and thematically relevant. You're free to dislike it but calling it pointless and mindlessly edgy seems a bit unfair, especially since Morrison created the character and like or dislike Morrison he doesn't do things for no reason.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

McCloud posted:

1 story DLC about batman

But why?

I mean, we already have had four games of Batman and two DLC of Batman. I know he's the main character, but we've already seen most of his history. I'd rather get some character building DLC where Robin or someone takes on some villains.

On that note, do we ever see Robin interact with any villains that aren't Joker and Harley in this series? And I'm not counting Robin laying on a floor and getting shot by Scarecrow.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

McCloud posted:

http://gamerant.com/batman-arkham-knight-season-pass-dlc-details-batgirl/

Found this article that says we'll be getting

1 story DLC about batman
1 dlc about Batgirl (that's the one that got released last week)
1 dlc involving his allies (Nightwing, robin, catwoman?)

Costumes, extra race tracks, skins for the car.

If you got the season pass then all that stuff will be made available to you.

Aw man, I wanted more Red Hood content :(

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

But why?

I mean, we already have had four games of Batman and two DLC of Batman. I know he's the main character, but we've already seen most of his history. I'd rather get some character building DLC where Robin or someone takes on some villains.

On that note, do we ever see Robin interact with any villains that aren't Joker and Harley in this series? And I'm not counting Robin laying on a floor and getting shot by Scarecrow.

Nightwing's part of the Penguin submissions, I don't know if that counts.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Maybe when they say Batman they mean Dick Grayson Batman, along with his sidekick Damian Wayne as Robin? :shobon:

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

It's really not E for Edgy at all. In the original story it's actually pretty sensible and thematically relevant. You're free to dislike it but calling it pointless and mindlessly edgy seems a bit unfair, especially since Morrison created the character and like or dislike Morrison he doesn't do things for no reason.

I can't argue with that. Morrison's work is incredibly well-crafted, I just find it too...grimy and crazy for my own personal enjoyment. I'm generalizing a bit too heavily, because it can be really easy to conflate the themes of his work with a lot of overall trends with Batman than I loathe.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Tim Drake really gets chumped in Arkham Knight. Hard. Literally has a 30 minute segment (that's not coincidentally the best part of the game) and then he exits off-screen and might as well not exist.

You'd think that his role in the story would be rather large, given the identity of Arkham Knight, but nope - fooled ya!

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I just want a Nightwing game, he's my favorite :(.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Have these Joker panels I enjoyed

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
Guys just make an arkham city sirens one. Make it take place right before the story. Ivy gets a stealth room, harley and catwoman a combat room.

It doesn't have to be long and can even flow right into the story and have ivy trying to console harley a bit about the joker bit.
It's right there. You're so close.
Just have to make a predator room that has ivy plants that she has to activate as goons go by them and they try and find her.

you can even do the stupid high score thing you like by having the goons destroy the plants and giving more for each we don't destory.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
Also yeah people totally want more race tracks :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Calaveron posted:

Have these Joker panels I enjoyed

If anyone is wondering, this is from "Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader?" by Neil Gaiman, which is totally great.

• Locked thread