Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Zombies' Downfall posted:

lol which episode was this in

It was in episode 3, when Bojack sends Todd to buy some Squiirt.

The best animal background joke is the bedbug dragging someone to their death in the mattress pile in episode 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
There was also a dung beetle pushing around a giant ball on the set of Mr. Peanutbutter's show.

Viginti
Feb 1, 2015
The replacement director on Secreteriat being a literal bottom feeder was a nice bit of visual storytelling too. You knew instantly that they weren't going to be making Casablanca, mainly because that's already a movie, so why would they?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
So what's the story with BoJack's "other TV show" referenced at the end?

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(

Entropic posted:

So what's the story with BoJack's "other TV show" referenced at the end?

season 3

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

I'm never not going to love the perfectly normal poster of Junior amid all of the animal versions of normal movies in Princess Caroline's apartment.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

NecroMonster posted:

I'm never not going to love the perfectly normal poster of Junior amid all of the animal versions of normal movies in Princess Caroline's apartment.

It's sublime.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

I liked Vanessa Gecko's reveal as an ordinary human in season one after several episodes of oblique references to her in name only as a sneaky under-handed color-changing jerkbag.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

i finished bojack horseman season 2

the show is absolutely great when it's a super dark, nihilistic character piece which is then hamstrung by the absolutely fuckin' awful puns and jokes

like that dr hu/who joke in season 1 was one of the worst jokes i've ever seen a tv show air

definitely the best show netflix is airing though, which is kinda damning with faint praise but still, really great show. when it stays on tone.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

The whole Game show episode, and everything related to the game show, is also amazing. I literally never got tired of the shows full name.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I just noticed that at Herb's funeral his bear nurse is gorging on the salmon hors d'oeuvres.

And that Mr. PB's vanity license plate is "GOODBOY".

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

NecroMonster posted:

The whole Game show episode, and everything related to the game show, is also amazing. I literally never got tired of the shows full name.

You mean Hollywoo Celebrities. Do They Know Things? What Do They Know? Let's Find Out!?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Toxxupation posted:

the show is absolutely great when it's a super dark, nihilistic character piece which is then hamstrung by the absolutely fuckin' awful puns and jokes

like that dr hu/who joke in season 1 was one of the worst jokes i've ever seen a tv show air

definitely the best show netflix is airing though, which is kinda damning with faint praise but still, really great show. when it stays on tone.

I think you either love or hate the stupid over-the-top jokes.

I mean I can see how you could get tired after the fourth iteration of the Mr. Peanut Butter's bad banners joke, but I couldn't stop laughing at this:

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

again, it's the jokes like the van camp "wordplay" or the doctor who/hu joke that are absolute loving scum and should be gotten rid of, they're not funny and they're so forced that whole scenes have to be built around the "payoff" of a dumb one-liner

it's honestly kind of bewildering since the show has really deep, troubled characters and could just deign to examine them instead of the van camp is not in van sant's camp joke or w/e

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Toxxupation posted:

again, it's the jokes like the van camp "wordplay" or the doctor who/hu joke that are absolute loving scum and should be gotten rid of, they're not funny and they're so forced that whole scenes have to be built around the "payoff" of a dumb one-liner

it's honestly kind of bewildering since the show has really deep, troubled characters and could just deign to examine them instead of the van camp is not in van sant's camp joke or w/e

:nallears:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Toxxupation posted:

Nah, the words that sound like other words jokes are delightful. I think the manatee lady had the best one.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Toxxupation posted:

The really dark, cynical character work creates a huge contrast to the dumb dad jokes. I don't think I would enjoy the dumb jokes nearly as much if they weren't surrounded by emotional devastation and misery.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Toxxupation posted:

I think we need the comedy, and not just as comic relief - it's an integral part of that dark, nihilistic tone. I mean, your mileage may vary with the puns and pop-culture references although they do seem to net a fair bit of praise, but comedy and absurdity is a key part of depression. Many of the best comics have suffered from severe depression because comedy is an extremely effective coping mechanism, and tone-wise a show that can go from making silly celebrity gossip jokes like everything's fine to taking a sharp turn into serious issues captures that dynamic. If the show was nothing but the grueling moments one after another people wouldn't watch, couldn't watch, but just like in real life it's the comedy that gets them through.

Maybe it's the specific bits you don't like, and like I said your mileage may vary. I thought the Doctor Hu/Who joke was funny, not in a laugh-out-loud way just to reinforce the general absurdity of the world. Part of the humor and appeal of Bojack is he sometimes comes off as the only sane man, like being the only one who can tell Princess Carolyn is dating three kids standing on each other's shoulders in a trench coat or the only one who apparently cares that the guy Wanda met is a Soviet sleeper-agent. It contributes to the tone and Bojack's isolation.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Toxxupation posted:

actually the van camp joke owned, sorry

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
My favorite animal joke was Todds worker bees

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
The worst overexplained joke of season 2 was Vanessa showing up as PC's servant in the Thomas Kinkade fantasy and explaining to her and the audience why she's there when everyone with half a brain got the goddamn joke immediately.

I also thought Paul McCartney jumping out of the cake was misguided. Mr. Peanutbutter saying "Sir Paul McCartney's going to jump out of a cake" is a good line because it leaves so much to the imagination. Later showing exactly that (and then having Paul overexplain what's happened) didn't really add anything although it's pretty great they actually got McCartney to voice it. They could have ended it with, just as one example, him stuck inside the cake and yelling for help and it would have been good because that's actually a new joke.

The Time Dissolver fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Jul 23, 2015

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The rabbit agent whose last name I'm forgetting has a Goodnight Moon page as the painting in his office.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy
Rutabaga Rabbitowitz.

I like catching the celebrity animal mash ups. Penny has a Llama Del Rey poster in her room and there's a front page newspaper article about Shaquille O'Seal.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

PostNouveau posted:

Nah, the words that sound like other words jokes are delightful. I think the manatee lady had the best one.

"I would love to take down Hippopopalous and finally topple the acropolis of monstrous hypocrisy that ensconces us."

Love it

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

PostNouveau posted:

"I would love to take down Hippopopalous and finally topple the acropolis of monstrous hypocrisy that ensconces us."

Love it

Don't forget his novelty rap album, The Hank Hippopopalous Hip-Hop Hypothesis.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

FadingChord posted:

Don't forget his novelty rap album, The Hank Hippopopalous Hip-Hop Hypothesis.
His lyrics are bottomless.

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Wonder how many takes that took. I can barely say those lines when I'm taking my time.

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

I like how S2 has wrapped with what appears to be another clean(ish) break. It would be easy to keep everything in LA and have the show roll along for a few seasons with some properly solid animal goofs but i get the feeling there's something this is all leading to. Both seasons have ties cut with people who were clearly important to BoJack in the past, I wonder who's next. Maybe Butterscotch Horseman lives in NYC?

Above all else though, god drat the delivery of "Fuzzyface, Meow Meow Fuzzyface" absolutely destroyed me. Holy poo poo when this show does dumb does it do it well.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Toxxupation posted:

Who's your favorite German Baroque composer, Occ?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Book Beck

liquorlanche
Sep 10, 2014
Come on, Becka the chicken was easily the best.

"This is my wife..."
*Buck KAWWWW*
"Yep, Becka, Becka Shavez"
*Buck buck buck*
"Yep, she loves her books, she's a nerd."
"If she's a nerd, what's her favorite composer?"
*bach*

"If anyone asks, you were born in La Hoya, you majored in communications at USC and now, you're the booking agent for Kings of Leon."
*Buckk bawk*
"Fine, you also booked Beck."

"So what, now you're gonna just do whatever a 16 year old girl says? Jezey louisey, grow a spine"
*Buck bawww*
"Yea, or a backbone."

"Just going to the beach with the family. Honey, do you wanna sit in the front or back?"
*Buck*

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I loved how by the end Todd had bought into it and was telling her she didn't have to book Beck anymore. :3:

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Dolash posted:

If the show was nothing but the grueling moments one after another people wouldn't watch, couldn't watch

There was a show that was nothing but that last year and it was loving incredible, one of the best shows of last year

and either way i'm not arguing against comedy; i'm arguing against the atonal wordplay, stupid puns, or surface level "this is what hollyWEIRD is like" jokes that are present in every sitcom about the industry that's ever existed

like that "hey, smile" joke to cap the end of the bill cosby ep was a fantastic joke to end the episode, and it kept tone - it was this dark, bitter line that made you grin through the sadness over stuff like tongue-twister lines being plopped right smack-dab in what's supposed to be a depressing scene to ruin the tonality of it for a bad, unfunny joke

the situation isn't binary; you don't "need" silly goofy jokes to "Cut" the sadness in the first place, and even if you did there's a way to do it while still keeping tonality over whatever nonsense poo poo like people doing the very first part of the "Who's on First" bit is

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
One of the central conceits of the show is a joke about how the main character is a horse. Remove that and it's a different show. Even if they never mentioned it or it were "allegorical" it would still be a joke.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Pick posted:

One of the central conceits of the show is a joke about how the main character is a horse. Remove that and it's a different show. Even if they never mentioned it or it were "allegorical" it would still be a joke.

that doesn't contradict literally anything i just said

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I love all the stupid puns and visual animal jokes and the show would seriously suffer for not having them.

The chicken episode would never work without the constant puns because its so grim

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I mean, there's nothing wrong with hating puns and the dumb animal jokes, but I don't see how the show works at all without them. The baseline absurdity of it all is needed, or else all you have is something bleak and depressing for the sake of being bleak and depressing for some reason calling itself a comedy. If I wanted that I'd watch Occ's favorite show, Last Man Standing.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

Jose posted:

I love all the stupid puns and visual animal jokes and the show would seriously suffer for not having them.

The chicken episode would never work without the constant puns because its so grim

"These aren't like friend chickens, y'hear"

Christ that episode is a dark look at factory farming in the BoJack world. The only thing that makes them different from people-animals is hormones. I'm kinda sad we didn't see the sassy cow waitress again this season as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Did Aaron Paul also voice his Cordovian doppleganger?

Also I found out that the voice of Hank Hippopopalous was the Library Detective from that one episode of Seinfeld.