Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

SaffronKit posted:

Got back into playing this dumb fun game back when I heard about the new patch and was struggling pretty hard with a slightly ahead of the gear-curve character vs expert Plantera even with all the buffing potions I could get (aside from potions that require fishing, gently caress that), a well made arena with heart lanterns and campfire. So I decided I'd make a normal world and give it a try there.

I fought all three mechanical bosses at once easily without any danger and murdered the poo poo out of Plantera without even dipping below a quarter health without buff potions and minimal to no arena setup.

Expert mode adds a dumb amount of extra damage and mob health and I'm not sure how I feel about going back to it to try and kill Plantera and the bosses after.

Fishing is easy, and giving up on 10% damage, 10% crit, and 10% damage reduction is dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Yeah I've done over 100 angler quests and while at first it can be tedious (though certainly not difficult), once you get decent bait/gear it takes <1 min for each quest every game-day. Most times I now pull the quest fish on the first 2 or 3 pulls.

Now the problem is more biomes spreading and canceling out other biomes I need to fish in :argh: Though I did dungeon-brick in some areas to preserve them.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

Mrit posted:

Fishing is easy, and giving up on 10% damage, 10% crit, and 10% damage reduction is dumb.

And 20% hp max.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

I really wish fishing wasn't required for those good potions.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Eric the Mauve posted:

They're not granite? When I first looked at it I assumed they were granite.

I'm talking about the rooms with dark background but normal stone blocks.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

omeg posted:

I really wish fishing wasn't required for those good potions.

Why

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

Fishing blows, I would rather plant an herb and harvest it whenever I want than sit around fishing.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

The only exciting thing about fishing is letting 4 or 5 enemies spawn and trying to dodge them while maintaining the fishing line.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Is there any way to make sandstone walls? I want that use that pretty hallowed sandstone wall in one of my rooms but can't figure out any way to make it or a regular sandstone wall.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Flame112 posted:

Fishing blows, I would rather plant an herb and harvest it whenever I want than sit around fishing.

Lots of herbs aren't harvestable/won't bloom except at select times though (eg, deathweed blooms in blood moons, waterleaf blooms during rain, daybloom during the day). Fishing just requires certain biomes but you can do them whenever.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I don't imagine placing one every 25 blocks would be any faster than placing one every three blocks as long as you're getting them with an inventory editor.

In fact, placing more chests is probably easier because you can just hold down left click.

You also need to place the chests down the sides of your jungle abyss too so the meteors don't just get stuck in the side of the wall don't you, or is it a straight up and down position that's decided?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Internet Kraken posted:

Is there any way to make sandstone walls? I want that use that pretty hallowed sandstone wall in one of my rooms but can't figure out any way to make it or a regular sandstone wall.

iirc hallowed, corrupt, and crimson sandstone walls are the only thing you can't actually craft. Get some pearl-white paint and colorize them? :shobon:

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

Senor Candle posted:

I bet it has more to do with the fact that the meteor can't land on something that's only one block thick anyways, so it probably doesn't even count it.

This isn't true, a week or so ago I had a meteor hit a few stray floating blocks of dirt. The entire meteor was about four blocks in size because of it.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

When should I think about trying to take down Fishron on expert? I've only managed to nab one truffle worm so I'm not inclined to use it just to see how strong he is. Currently wearing golem/hardmode dungeon gear.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

You can kill him in turtle/beetle with an arena, potions and whatnot. It's not an easy fight though.

whiteshark12
Oct 21, 2010

How that gun even works underwater I don't know, but I bet the answer is magic.
Is there any way to pull a 'seed' or something similar from a terraria world to create a fresh copy of the same map?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

whiteshark12 posted:

Is there any way to pull a 'seed' or something similar from a terraria world to create a fresh copy of the same map?

You can make a copy of the map file. But if you're asking for getting a fresh version of a world you made a lot of changes to, I don't think there's a way to do that right now.

whiteshark12
Oct 21, 2010

How that gun even works underwater I don't know, but I bet the answer is magic.

Dr. Fetus posted:

You can make a copy of the map file. But if you're asking for getting a fresh version of a world you made a lot of changes to, I don't think there's a way to do that right now.

The second one, I've terraformed quite a lot of the area around my base in the world I made when 1.2 was new and I was curious as to what it looked like to start with.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

whiteshark12 posted:

The second one, I've terraformed quite a lot of the area around my base in the world I made when 1.2 was new and I was curious as to what it looked like to start with.

The problem with that is that unless you have access to the 1.2 client, regenerating the world with that seed wouldn't give you the same world because world generation has changed.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I'd love to watch a great Video LP of the new update, from starting a brand new character to the end of Expert mode. Can I get some suggestions?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Was having a ton of issues with Plantera just utterly wrecking me and some friends. It turns out we made the arena so big that about 80% of the open space didn't count as jungle, so plantera was constantly enraging. :shepicide:

Placing a bunch of strips of mud and throwing jungle grass seed on them so that they can (hopefully) make the entire arena count as jungle again since the default background wall doesn't seem to do it (or too much is missing for it to help).

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Evil Fluffy posted:

Was having a ton of issues with Plantera just utterly wrecking me and some friends. It turns out we made the arena so big that about 80% of the open space didn't count as jungle, so plantera was constantly enraging. :shepicide:

Placing a bunch of strips of mud and throwing jungle grass seed on them so that they can (hopefully) make the entire arena count as jungle again since the default background wall doesn't seem to do it (or too much is missing for it to help).

Just put a strip of 80 jungle Grass blocks for your bridge or whatever. That's what determines a jungle biome. It's conveniently minimal; every other biome besides Meteorite requires a fair bit more blocks.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Whoa I went back to kill some more Planteras and hot drat the Vampire Knives just make him a joke after spraying it with some piss.

Luckily the crimson chest was in the very first room of my dungeon so I ran to get them immediately after my first Plantera kill.

Blackheart fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jul 23, 2015

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
It feels like NPCs are programmed to wander into any room you're trying to build rather than going anywhere else. All this space and these idiots still manage to get in the way.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
Is there an easy way to farm for Ichor in a world generated with corruption? I did use a small world to get some stones so I could build a floating island for fishing reasons, but I don't think fishing up Crimson crates is all that productive. Could I build a house on my little Crimson island, place the Steampunker there, wait for the blood moon, then buy up Red Solution?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Waffleopolis posted:

Is there an easy way to farm for Ichor in a world generated with corruption? I did use a small world to get some stones so I could build a floating island for fishing reasons, but I don't think fishing up Crimson crates is all that productive. Could I build a house on my little Crimson island, place the Steampunker there, wait for the blood moon, then buy up Red Solution?

Honestly, Crimson Crates are probably more productive than the normal way. They only drop from one relatively rare enemy in the underground crimson.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

The White Dragon posted:

iirc hallowed, corrupt, and crimson sandstone walls are the only thing you can't actually craft. Get some pearl-white paint and colorize them? :shobon:

you can't craft mud walls either. but what you can do, i think, is clentaminate regular sandstone walls to turn them into biome equivalents.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!

Supremezero posted:

Honestly, Crimson Crates are probably more productive than the normal way. They only drop from one relatively rare enemy in the underground crimson.

Oh so they're not like the enemies who drop off Cursed flames? That sucks :(

Inge
Jan 16, 2007
SERIOUSLY THATS DISGUSTING I'M TRYING TO EAT

Waffleopolis posted:

Oh so they're not like the enemies who drop off Cursed flames? That sucks :(

I've found ichor stickers tend to spawn mostly at the bottom of crimson chasms. Look for a big open space, choose a chasm, drop down, kill sticker, fly up about 4 screens wait 15 seconds, grapple a wall, drop down again. Usually net about one ichor drop of 2-5 a minute.

I just started a crimson world with an eye, kill the EoC on route to crimson, smash hearts kill brain, walk to dungeon, wait for night and summon skelly. Hellevator, hellbridge, wof, all up about 20-30 minutes to get a less inconvenient source of ichor.

If you put a bed in the crimson :v:

Inge fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jul 23, 2015

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
I seriously started playing for the first time since 1.1.

I encountered my very first Lost Girl/Nymph.

She dropped a metal detector on the first try.

I'm really sorry?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Pretty sure Nymphs now drop metal detectors every time, at least on expert. We haven't fought a single one who hasn't dropped one yet.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

VineST posted:

you can't craft mud walls either. but what you can do, i think, is clentaminate regular sandstone walls to turn them into biome equivalents.

Yeah but unless I'm missing something you can't craft sandstone walls so its not like that matters.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

The White Dragon posted:

Pretty sure Nymphs now drop metal detectors every time, at least on expert. We haven't fought a single one who hasn't dropped one yet.

On Normal they're 50%, 100% for Expert. After I killed 3 Nymphs in Normal with no drop I made an Expert world and ran around for a while with a Hunter potion+Lifeform Detector and finally got my Metal Detector.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Ichor ain't that hard to get, just go to the lowest parts of the underground crimson where Lava pools start to show up (always wear your Lava charm underground, kids!), a lot of Ichor monsters spawn down there and they kill themselves in lava a lot of the time. I got plenty of Ichor while hunting for some Souls of night.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
The game KNOWS.

"I think I should start prepping to fight the Goblin army. I've got like 8 torn banners from dead scouts, I've got Meteor stuff, I finally broke 200 health, and I have the parts needed for a GPS so-"

A Goblin army is approaching from the East

Also my first run in with Medusa was one in the waters of the underground jungle :v: Fortunately I had JUST started putting down platforms so didn't drown. Turns out there was a Marble Biome an entire screen length in the opposite direction, with a large gaping pit between it and any jungle :downs:

EDIT: Bless you, Space Gun.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jul 23, 2015

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Medusa are probably the worst enemy they've added to the game since I last played hands down. There is no other enemy that can just end you from offscreen despite being so kitted out nothing can even touch you aside from bosses. You just turn into a rock and smash into the ground with no warning aside from maybe hearing them growl once.

Why no, I haven't had this happen to me a couple of times after buffing up with all my potions to start a fight with Plantera I don't know what you're talking about.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Section Z posted:

The game KNOWS.

"Oh fantastic, it's finally daytime. Now that the blood moon and the previous day's solar eclipse are over, I'm not going to be harassed by unending vampires and flying eyeballs. What a great opportunity to grab a bunch of stored materials and build some cool structures, like I've been planning to do for the past 45 minutes"

A Goblin army is approaching from the East

Vargs fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jul 23, 2015

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Inge posted:

I've found ichor stickers tend to spawn mostly at the bottom of crimson chasms. Look for a big open space, choose a chasm, drop down, kill sticker, fly up about 4 screens wait 15 seconds, grapple a wall, drop down again. Usually net about one ichor drop of 2-5 a minute.

I just started a crimson world with an eye, kill the EoC on route to crimson, smash hearts kill brain, walk to dungeon, wait for night and summon skelly. Hellevator, hellbridge, wof, all up about 20-30 minutes to get a less inconvenient source of ichor.

If you put a bed in the crimson :v:

How to farm ichor:
1. Find a crimson area with a decent open area (your BoC arena, for example).
2. Place some platforms around the ceiling. A walkway with some space above it to jump is fine too, and then place a water candle on it when you're done.
3. Deepen the room so the floor is off screen far enough to spawn enemies.
4. Clear out any obstacles and flatten the floor. If tunnels lead in to the area you can either wall them off just make sure the path is easily traveled by enemies (better choice).
5. Place Spider Queen turret summon on the floor beloy you (don't need to be able to see floor), and use a nimbus rod above your head, hold second water candle (optional).
6. Go down periodically to collect your pile of drops.
7. If you hear metal getting hit pay attention in case it's a crimson mimic and not a regular one. If it's a crimson mimic, you can run back and forth shooting it as it jumps up at you. If it lands on the platform walkway, just drop down and immediately fly/rocket boot back up on to it. The mimic will fall to the ground and resume jumping up at you while you and your summons (and nimbus clouds when applicable) kill it.

I did this for 30 min or so, without water candles, and had hundreds of ichor and several platinum. Ended up with about 150 souls of night as well.

SaffronKit posted:

Medusa are probably the worst enemy they've added to the game since I last played hands down. There is no other enemy that can just end you from offscreen despite being so kitted out nothing can even touch you aside from bosses. You just turn into a rock and smash into the ground with no warning aside from maybe hearing them growl once.

Why no, I haven't had this happen to me a couple of times after buffing up with all my potions to start a fight with Plantera I don't know what you're talking about.

They also cancel your mine cart. Imagine your scenario, but moving at 102 mph so you hear the sound and turn to stone and fly another screen or two before shattering against something. :v:

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

About 3 minutes after killing the wall of flesh for the first time we got a goblin army while all still decked out in pre-hardmode gear. That summoner goblin is a real bastard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

About 3 minutes after killing the wall of flesh for the first time we got a goblin army while all still decked out in pre-hardmode gear. That summoner goblin is a real bastard.

On the bright side, you got one of his cool drops at the point where they're actually relevant.