Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

A couple troubleshooting steps (keeping in mind I'm shooting in the dark):

In your device manager, uninstall/remove the USB headset device and unplug the headset. Restart the computer, plug the headset back in, and let Windows redetect it.

If that doesn't work, check the manufacturer's website for an updated driver and see if that clears things up. If not, then it probably is a firefox issue and you should open a bug report with a list of sites that don't work and information about your headset.

Cheers, ill give that a shot when im back from work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

CyberPingu posted:

Sorry if this has been covered before in this thread,

Im having sound issues in firefox playing videos through youtube,

I have the same issue after opting into the HTML5 version of YouTube. Not really looked into fixing it, because I don't swap audio outputs that often, but just wanted to mention that it's not just you.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Does everyone's ff choke on that page, or is it just me:

http://www.streetartutopia.com/

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Works fine here.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Hmkay, maybe it's time to nuke this profile.

e: maybe it's ghostery or ublock, because it keeps choking on load (with a new profile).

midnightclimax fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Jul 12, 2015

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008

midnightclimax posted:

Hmkay, maybe it's time to nuke this profile.

e: maybe it's ghostery or ublock, because it keeps choking on load (with a new profile).
Seems to be Ghostery, but even with it off the performance of that page is terrible.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

midnightclimax posted:

Works here and I have ublock installed. It does take about 8-9sec. for everything to load up and I have a pretty fast connection so FF definitely has to work a fair bit displaying that page.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Firefox was crashing for me all the time so I decided to renew the profile. But in doing that I lost my media hint extension (to watch US Netflix) Now I see it's not free anymore and I can't get the old version installed back on firefox? Any good alternative? Or is there a way I can install the old version back on it? Hola Unblocker is a no go for me. I used to use it untill I found out that it was a malware inficted POS.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Sefal posted:

Firefox was crashing for me all the time so I decided to renew the profile. But in doing that I lost my media hint extension (to watch US Netflix) Now I see it's not free anymore and I can't get the old version installed back on firefox? Any good alternative? Or is there a way I can install the old version back on it? Hola Unblocker is a no go for me. I used to use it untill I found out that it was a malware inficted POS.
You should probably subscribe to a VPN service if you want to do this. Any service offering this for free is doing something nefarious with your data or Internet connection, like Hola.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Alereon posted:

You should probably subscribe to a VPN service if you want to do this. Any service offering this for free is doing something nefarious with your data or Internet connection, like Hola.

That does sound good. Does anyone know of a good vpn service?

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Do you want a general purpose one or one dedicated to Hulu/Netflix/other American services?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Sefal posted:

If you still have your old profile directory backed up, you can try to find the .xpi file in %appdata%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<profile name>\extensions and install that on your new profile.

Not sure if it'll work, but you could give it a shot.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Geemer posted:

If you still have your old profile directory backed up, you can try to find the .xpi file in %appdata%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<profile name>\extensions and install that on your new profile.

Not sure if it'll work, but you could give it a shot.

Thank You! This worked. I went to my Username Folder. Opened previous versions. Had 1 from last week. Copied the media hint xpi file and inserted that into my current profile. And it works.

But a vpn for general use might still be a good idea.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Is there a Thunderbird thread?

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

dud root posted:

Is there a Thunderbird thread?

Traditionally, people have commented here. I'm a volunteer* Thunderbird developer and I can try to answer any questions you have, although I don't know much about the instant messaging stuff.

* But so is everyone on Thunderbird these days.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Oh cool thanks. I was wondering about the method I use to backup my emails- I've been manually copying the entire abc.default profile folder from AppData/Roaming to say dropbox, then back again on a new windows install. The issue is..it just works- without prompting for the passwords. Seems like anyone could just copy that folder onto USB and have login access to my emails?

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

dud root posted:

Oh cool thanks. I was wondering about the method I use to backup my emails- I've been manually copying the entire abc.default profile folder from AppData/Roaming to say dropbox, then back again on a new windows install. The issue is..it just works- without prompting for the passwords. Seems like anyone could just copy that folder onto USB and have login access to my emails?

Yeah, the local copies of all your messages are just stored in a folder* on your computer. However, you can secure that folder using any lower-level method you like: file permissions, partition-level encryption (e.g. TrueCrypt/VeraCrypt), or other similar tools. Really, if someone has access to your computer to copy your Thunderbird profile, you're in pretty deep poo poo, and there's not too much Thunderbird could do to help. That said, you can't get new emails without your password, but the profile also saves your mail password if you request it to.

You can tell Thunderbird not to store local copies of your messages if you're really nervous, but that makes it a lot harder to search for old emails, so I don't really recommend it. Go into "Account Settings -> Synchronization and Storage" and turn off "Keep messages for this account on this computer" if you want to disable that.

* One file per mail folder for older accounts, and one file per message for newer accounts. Eventually, everything will be migrated to one-file-per-message.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Grim Up North posted:

The current 64 bit Developer Edition goes "Add Dictionaries ..." -> Add a dictionary -> "Enable Spell Check" -> "the "Languages" menu appears" for me. (Menu labels translated to English by me).

Here, I have:

If I add a dictionary using that menu option and restart, I still only have Add Dictionaries in the menu and nothing else. I shouldn't have to restart anyway.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I like to use this old ultraportable Thinkpad from 2005 for browsing sometimes. It's a 1.5 ghz single core system with 1.5 GB of RAM, so it'd be really great if I could force any HTML5 video/audio/animated content to be click-to-play or simply blocked unless I need to use it for a specific page, because to be honest such stuff runs like poo poo on this.

What's the current best solution for doing that in Firefox? I mean it was easy when everyone used flash and java for that sort of stuff because you can easily make that blocked completely or click to play, but it seems really hard to do unless I manually add ublock filters constantly.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Nintendo Kid posted:

I like to use this old ultraportable Thinkpad from 2005 for browsing sometimes. It's a 1.5 ghz single core system with 1.5 GB of RAM, so it'd be really great if I could force any HTML5 video/audio/animated content to be click-to-play or simply blocked unless I need to use it for a specific page, because to be honest such stuff runs like poo poo on this.

What's the current best solution for doing that in Firefox? I mean it was easy when everyone used flash and java for that sort of stuff because you can easily make that blocked completely or click to play, but it seems really hard to do unless I manually add ublock filters constantly.

Most HTML5 apps are just accelerated ECMA (JavaScript). So NoScript or something similar. Whitelist is now your only friend.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Nintendo Kid posted:

Have you tried FlashBlock? My understanding was that it (despite its name) gave you some control over HTML5 video as well.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
FlashBlock doesn't really work anymore.

Apparently "Click To Play Per Element" will work, but I haven't been able to make it happen.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

FlashBlock works fine on my browser. And yeah, it can block html5 video too.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Not having Flash or Java, and meticulously filtering everything with uBlock and uMatrix has sped up the browser notcieably. I once tried an extension which unloads idle tabs, but it didn't work too well. Now I tried UnloadTab again and it seems to work fine. Now even FF's memory usage is under control *happy camper*

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

td4guy posted:

FlashBlock works fine on my browser. And yeah, it can block html5 video too.

Doesn't block anything for me, hasn't done since about Firefox 22.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Ihmemies posted:

Not having Flash or Java, and meticulously filtering everything with uBlock and uMatrix has sped up the browser notcieably. I once tried an extension which unloads idle tabs, but it didn't work too well. Now I tried UnloadTab again and it seems to work fine. Now even FF's memory usage is under control *happy camper*

Many thanks for mentioning uMatrix! I liked HTTP Switchboard on Chrome and didn't realize there was a version available for Firefox.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Ihmemies posted:

I once tried an extension which unloads idle tabs, but it didn't work too well. Now I tried UnloadTab again and it seems to work fine. Now even FF's memory usage is under control *happy camper*

Wow. If i didn't stumble on your post i think i would have never seen that. I'm the kind of guy who has multiple tabs open at all time. I think at one time on my laptop when i had to restart it to install updates. It asked me if i wanted to close 232 tabs (that was when i was in college. now i hover around 40 tabs). I'm going to love that extension

Thank You!

Beeez
May 28, 2012
I don't know where to ask this, but hopefully this is an okay place to do so. I'm not particularly computer-literate, but now that Firefox is trying to block Flash by default and I kept seeing people calling for the end of Flash, I thought I should just uninstall it altogether. But there really are a lot of things that are inaccessible to me without Flash. Is there an alternative to it, or do I just have to re-install it and hope the vulnerabilities don't cause me any problems? Sorry for the likely stupidity of this line of questioning, but like I said, I'm not super knowledgeable about computers and whatnot. I know y'all are talking a bit about the Flash situation but I'm not sure I can glean what I'm after from what's already been said.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

That's not a dumb question at all, a lot of stuff has Flash alternatives (like HTML5) but when it comes down to it there are definitely some things that you strictly need Flash for, in the future hopefully Shumway (a Mozilla project that aims to supplant Flash as an swf renderer) will make this problem moot but for now your options are use Flash and take a risk (which you can mitigate by only allowing Flash on trusted sites) or don't and lose access to some of the web.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Read posted:

That's not a dumb question at all, a lot of stuff has Flash alternatives (like HTML5) but when it comes down to it there are definitely some things that you strictly need Flash for, in the future hopefully Shumway (a Mozilla project that aims to supplant Flash as an swf renderer) will make this problem moot but for now your options are use Flash and take a risk (which you can mitigate by only allowing Flash on trusted sites) or don't and lose access to some of the web.

Thanks. I guess I will have to consider going back to Flash for now.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
The blocking was only temporary - of you install the current version it'll work fine.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Any reason why uBlock is keeping YouTube (HTML5) from autoplaying the next video in a playlist when fullscreen? Any way that I can turn that off? So far, I manage just by disabling uBlock, reloading, and then re-enabling; which autoplays and blocks future ads.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Jul 23, 2015

Read
Dec 21, 2010

On a topic adjacent to uBlock, people who use uMatrix instead of NoScript can you tell me why specifically you prefer uMatrix? I'm considering switching but I don't really understand why exactly I should other than people saying so.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

dissss posted:

The blocking was only temporary - of you install the current version it'll work fine.

Can an update be forced, or do you have to either download the installer or wait for the update?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
(Double post due to phone posting.)

Read posted:

On a topic adjacent to uBlock, people who use uMatrix instead of NoScript can you tell me why specifically you prefer uMatrix? I'm considering switching but I don't really understand why exactly I should other than people saying so.

I like that it has white lists you can subscribe to so lots of websites work pretty well off the bat without having to futz around figuring out which scripts are needed to actually display the content.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I have to say, I find its interface pretty confusing for manually setting a site's permissions. I'll have to play with the whitelists some more.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

hooah posted:

Can an update be forced, or do you have to either download the installer or wait for the update?

Pretty sure the standard way to update it (on Windows, at least) is to download the new installer exe from Adobe.

Disgustipated
Jul 28, 2003

Black metal ist krieg

hooah posted:

PatchMyPC is pretty great. I have it scheduled to do it every week, and you can manually run it yourself whenever you want. Does a whole lot more than just update flash too.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Read posted:

It's a lot more granular in its control template (which you may or may not prefer) and its permissions are temporary by default.

The documentation for HTTP Switchboard (the predecessor to uMatrix) will give you a good sense of the configuration options, and includes a comparison to Noscript (and options for using it in the same way as Noscript operates).

Beyond that, it'll be easiest for you to just install it and try it out for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Disgustipated posted:

PatchMyPC is pretty great. I have it scheduled to do it every week, and you can manually run it yourself whenever you want. Does a whole lot more than just update flash too.

I'd been using FileHippo's App Updater, but this is much better. Thanks.