Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I watched Creep blind and hated it. Totally the wrong kind of movie for me. If I had heard the plot, I would have passed on it in a second and not wasted my time.

Did you at least enjoy Duplass' performance? Even with movies I dislike I at least enjoy seeing interesting performances. Or at least I try enjoying them. Doesn't always work. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
The One I Love is great, especially since I only remember there being three actors in the movie.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

This was fairly good, but a bit uneven in parts. ...
I love movie making documentaries. But holy poo poo, you'd think they could've floated a couple more bucks for better titles. I mean drat, I'd do it for free just to see it look better.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Chichevache posted:

Did you at least enjoy Duplass' performance? Even with movies I dislike I at least enjoy seeing interesting performances. Or at least I try enjoying them. Doesn't always work. :shrug:

The movie pissed me off so much I didn't enjoy anybody's performance by the end. It was a prime example of why I normally spoil myself on TV and movies.

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx

precision posted:

Two things you absolutely need to watch right now:

Doug Stanhope: Beer Hall Putsch. Holy poo poo Doug Stanhope is the best comedian working.

Lost Soul - a documentary on the making of Richard Stanley's The Island of Dr. Moreau.

Also, if you like Richard Stanley, his film Hardware is also on Netflix, which is a gloriously weird post-apocalyptic film which takes inspiration from Rear Window, and prominently features both opera, and a giant killer robot.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

The movie pissed me off so much I didn't enjoy anybody's performance by the end. It was a prime example of why I normally spoil myself on TV and movies.

What about it did you hate so much?

space-man
Jan 3, 2007
a man, like any other... but in space!

nate fisher posted:

On Amazon Prime I watched Coherence last weekend, and what a nice surprise of a movie. There is nothing like let's try this movie I never heard about (I'm sure it's been discussed, but I missed it), and you end up liking it. It's like a 90 minute Twilight Zone episode. Just curious about the ending, did anyone take that the phone call the boyfriend received at the end was from her at the beginning of the movie? Or was it was her other self that she tried to call in the bathroom? I took that it was from her at the start of the movie, because after the drugging from behind and the beating, I'm not sure the other her knew what was going on at all..

Chichevache posted:

Seconding this recommendation. Try to go in as blind as possible if you can.

yeah, I took the second phone call as a sign that there are two of her in this universe/dimension.

i love this film, i've watched it a ton of times. i actually watched it again last night.
it gets better every freaking time!

no, i read the call at the end of the film originating from em who's been beat up and dazed in the bathroom last we saw. the call at the start is the two of them discussing their trip to wherever, which they continue later on at the party. the call at the start is way too long for it to be the one at the end so i don't think it makes sense.

what is really interesting to me in that film right, is we all know that mike ("nicholas brendan") starred in buffy in our universe, not roswell. and at the original sit down dinner most people seem to agree he was in roswell. except for laurie who watched roswell often, she says she's a huge fan but doesn't remember him in it at all. so then its almost like the "original" people we see in the beginning before the power cuts out, aren't all from the same universe, they're already mixing and matching. oh man i love this movie.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

Lamprey Cannon posted:

Also, if you like Richard Stanley, his film Hardware is also on Netflix, which is a gloriously weird post-apocalyptic film which takes inspiration from Rear Window, and prominently features both opera, and a giant killer robot.

Hardware is loving nuts. You also forgot to mention that that killer robot is HORNY.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Any suggestions for a really good nail-biting thriller? My wife asked me to find something that fits that, and I'm sure there's a gem out there somewhere.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

COOL CORN posted:

Any suggestions for a really good nail-biting thriller? My wife asked me to find something that fits that, and I'm sure there's a gem out there somewhere.

Grand Piano and Fermat's Room are pretty fun thrillers. Fermat's Room is Spanish language though, so be prepared to read subtitles.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

NESguerilla posted:

What about it did you hate so much?

Found Footage Slasher film

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Found Footage Slasher film

Really? I viewed it as a character study film, like Elijah Wood's Maniac.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
I didn't like the Maniac remake either.

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Grand Piano and Fermat's Room are pretty fun thrillers. Fermat's Room is Spanish language though, so be prepared to read subtitles.

Grand Piano is the kind of movie you go in not expecting anything great but then it just blows you the gently caress out of the water. I love elijah wood's performance.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Short Penguin posted:

Grand Piano is the kind of movie you go in not expecting anything great but then it just blows you the gently caress out of the water. I love elijah wood's performance.

I really enjoyed the spectacle and performances, but the plot is total garbage and you're better off ignoring it if you can.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

COOL CORN posted:

3 Days of the Condor maybe?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

COOL CORN posted:

I wish it was on streaming, but I have to recommend the original Diabolique

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I wish it was on streaming, but I have to recommend the original Diabolique
The "What Should I Watch on Streaming?" That's Not on Streaming Megathread.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Diabolique actually is streaming, on Hulu.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

morestuff posted:

And it's pretty rad. It's a good suggestion.

Coherence is another option. It was free for Amazon Prime a few months ago, no idea if it's still free or not.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Human Planet is pretty loving fantastic. If you like bbc documentaries in the style of Blue Planet/Planet Earth it's absolutely worth checking out. It's absolutely mindblowing how some of these people carve out a living.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

morestuff posted:

Outstanding! That is a pro-click movie if you like thrillers.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

cat doter posted:

God drat guys, season 2 of Bojack Horseman is so good. Even the dumb offhand jokes and wacky hijinks type stuff is really good this season, they really figured that show out. There's also a really clever layer of stuff going on underneath but I don't wanna say much more since it's fun to spot on your own. What a great show.
I think my favorite bit of the entire season was the opening of one episode where Bojack steal a ciggy from his mom's purse (after watching Secretariat's interview? I kinda had hoped for a weird conspiracy suicide coverup with Secretariat's brother's body being used in the suicide from the bridge) and then she explains the punishment for it... And then cut to the last scene of the episode, where he walks out onto the balcony and bums a drag from ...Diane.....!

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Hey, speaking of scarring young kids, (from the previous page) my kids are now 10 and 12 and I've been hitting all the horrors.

My rule of thumb is, "Has a similar thing happened in a Star Wars or Indiana Jones movie?"

This rule comfortably includes:
- dismemberment
- big huge loving spiders
- being frozen to death
- being cut in half, beheaded, etc.
- Melting into a waxy skeleton
- Punching into a chest and pulling out a heart

etc. etc.

Of course, I DO pause the flicks occasionally to make sure they know it's all pretend. They loved Alien, Alien 2 and Prometheus. We haven't done Alien 3 yet because they've been too busy digging on the walking dead.

Yes. I know. I'm raising demons.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

magnificent7 posted:

Hey, speaking of scarring young kids, (from the previous page) my kids are now 10 and 12 and I've been hitting all the horrors.

My rule of thumb is, "Has a similar thing happened in a Star Wars or Indiana Jones movie?"

- dismemberment
- being frozen to death

etc. etc.

Of course, I DO pause the flicks occasionally to make sure they know it's all pretend. They loved Alien, Alien 2 and Prometheus. We haven't done Alien 3 yet because they've been too busy digging on the walking dead.

You sound like a good dad to me, except for wasting their time with Indy and Star Wars (yeah, I went there, goons. Come at me.).

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Chichevache posted:

You sound like a good dad to me, except for wasting their time with Indy and Star Wars (yeah, I went there, goons. Come at me.).

TO be fair, they were four and six when I broke out the Star Wars and Indie poo poo. It was all part of my bigger plan... "But honey, Obi Wan cuts a dude in half in the first star wars movie, so, SAW IV is okay then, right?"

I kid I won't let them watch Saw.

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...

Glamorama26 posted:

Hardware is loving nuts. You also forgot to mention that that killer robot is HORNY.

Hardware is weird as hell and I love it. "MY HEART IS AN ALLIGATOR"

So... Proxy left me pretty lukewarm. I'd heard good things and honestly the concept could make for a cool thriller. But it's shot like a made for TV movie, really flat and boring. And the acting and dialogue are all over the place in quality. All the minor characters (nurses and detectives and so on) are extremely flat. It seemed like it was getting interesting about halfway through but it never really examines the psychology of these weird characters. I'm disappointed.

On the other hand I rewatched Detention and still loved it, so it's a wash I guess.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

magnificent7 posted:

TO be fair, they were four and six when I broke out the Star Wars and Indie poo poo. It was all part of my bigger plan... "But honey, Obi Wan cuts a dude in half in the first star wars movie, so, SAW IV is okay then, right?"

:lol:

It isn't on netflix, but have they seen Guardians of the Galaxy yet?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Chichevache posted:

If you can't see Raiders of the Lost Ark as a quality as gently caress action movie then I'm not sure what to say.

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006

Chichevache posted:

It's on the Australian Netflix if you can access that.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

magnificent7 posted:

Anyone that says Star Wars and Indiana Jones aren't worth watching is just a hater. You don't need to make excuses.

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

Chichevache posted:

It's on Starz on demand currently for anyone that has it.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

"An Honest Liar" Its a drat shame if you don't know who James Randi is. For those who don't here ya go!

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

fliptophead posted:

It's on the Australian Netflix if you can access that.

Accident Underwater posted:

It's on Starz on demand currently for anyone that has it.

gently caress you scrubs. I already own it on bluray, cuz I roll like that.(thanks for the info, maybe the rest of the uninitiated can finally witness that greatness, though they really should have seen it in theaters.)

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

magnificent7 posted:

- dismemberment
- being frozen to death

etc. etc.

Not so much horror but you should see what they make of Commando and Predator.

I really wish Predator didn't have that opening shot of the ship that spoils the big left turn the film takes.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
If you're bored and want to watch a really loving weird and good movie on Netflix, Bad Milo. The cast of Adult Swim shows such as Children's Hospital and Venture Brothers deal with a very serious issue... a monster that literally lives in a dude's butt.. It's hilarious, honestly a little touching, and a great metaphoric story. How this film didn't win awards in 2013 is beyond me, and so far is the second best movie of the decade for me!

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Chiche thanks for the Creep suggestion. Just watched it and I had a lot of fun with it. :hf:

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
Regarding Creep, it was OK, but I didn't really enjoy it enough to actively recommend it to people. Apparently it's supposed to be horror-comedy? While it had a few funny parts most notably Duplass' self-jump scare at the end, it didn't really succeed at either creeping me out or making me laugh consistently. I found the villain to be more annoying than sinister, and the videographer was basically a wet paper bag of a character. That said, I wouldn't tell someone not to watch it.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
I have been watching "The Story of Film" on Netflix. It's slightly pretentious, but highly entertaining and really good. I would recommend it to anyone who has a passing interest in either movie history or cinematography.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

LogisticEarth posted:

Regarding Creep, it was OK, but I didn't really enjoy it enough to actively recommend it to people. Apparently it's supposed to be horror-comedy? While it had a few funny parts most notably Duplass' self-jump scare at the end, it didn't really succeed at either creeping me out or making me laugh consistently. I found the villain to be more annoying than sinister, and the videographer was basically a wet paper bag of a character. That said, I wouldn't tell someone not to watch it.
As far as a movie to watch on Netflix, you could do far worse. In a nutshell, it's the very definition of somebody's first feature film. The director's follow-up is in theatres now (The Overnight) and has a character that basically touches on very similar themes but is presented much better.