Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
on to my 3rd new 3ds now. kind of annoying (especially the system transfer poo poo) but at least nintendo/eb games are good about replacing them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

strap on revenge posted:

on to my 3rd new 3ds now. kind of annoying (especially the system transfer poo poo) but at least nintendo/eb games are good about replacing them

...why?

EDIT: I also saw Amazon had Majora for $33 so I tried the same day shipping. Ordered at 11:56 am, delivered at 6:23 pm. Amazon sort of scares me at this point.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
first one didn't read SD cards straight out of the box, see my post history for most recent issue. Nintendo man told me to just take it back to the store

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
US dudes, Fry's has the New XL with Majora's Mask for $200: http://www.frys.com/search?query_string=8531049+8531039

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Sharla: Bench her. Or if you insist on using her, focus on her healing and buffing. The thing to keep in mind is that she exchanges damage for healing. This results in battles taking longer and thus requiring more healing. It's a viscous circle. You can kind of build her damage-y but she'll be less effective than anyone else. Only pull her out if you absolutely can't beat a boss and just want to slowly heal-tank your way through.

I'm going to have to stop you here and say that I played as Sharla for like 30 hours of the game and it's both fun and viable. Although, if you're not playing her she is kinda bad, I'd say she has some of the worst AI in the game. She barely knows how to heal effectively (often just tossing them out randomly and then being cooldown-screwed when you really need it) and will seldom do any kind of reasonable damage. So if the idea of playing the healer doesn't excite you feel free to bench.

And of course, Xenoblade isn't such a hard game to require optimized party composition anyway.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

I've never even seen Xenoblade, so everytime I've been hearing "Shulk" it makes me think of She-Hulk. Apparently Shulk is actually a teenaged boy :psyduck: Good thing I've never shown my ignorance for the whole world to see.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Amppelix posted:

I'm going to have to stop you here and say that I played as Sharla for like 30 hours of the game and it's both fun and viable. Although, if you're not playing her she is kinda bad, I'd say she has some of the worst AI in the game. She barely knows how to heal effectively (often just tossing them out randomly and then being cooldown-screwed when you really need it) and will seldom do any kind of reasonable damage. So if the idea of playing the healer doesn't excite you feel free to bench.

And of course, Xenoblade isn't such a hard game to require optimized party composition anyway.

She's viable and obviously fun is subjective but Sharla does straight-up increase the time battles take even when controlling her. She also has the real significant problem of being absolutely the worst character in the game for chain attacks which means that any team with her on it is going to have significantly reduced damage output even if Sharla had better damage output by default.

Like I said above, she can win you any battle, it just means the fights are slower and less intense because even with bad AI she has extremely strong surviability boosting. The game actually has way more intense battles if you don't have 4 forms of on-demand healing and instead have to focus on proper aggro management. My understanding is that Xenoblade Chronicles X actually revamped healing entirely so the developers at least seem aware of the problem.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Xenoblade's cool because pretty much any party combination works. Just make sure you're the one controlling Melia though.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

ImpAtom posted:

She's viable and obviously fun is subjective but Sharla does straight-up increase the time battles take even when controlling her. She also has the real significant problem of being absolutely the worst character in the game for chain attacks which means that any team with her on it is going to have significantly reduced damage output even if Sharla had better damage output by default.

*Until late game, when a combination of leveled up arts, skills, and gems allows her to dish out strong damage when controlled and lets her quickly melt through enemies.

For those interested in trying her out in the lategame: Max level Drive Boost Aura, max level Thunder Bullet, link Dunban's ability that extends the duration of auras, link things that increase Strength and reduce cooldown at night/day, and link whatever else you can fit on to up her damage. Equip gems to boost Electric damage (I think Thunder Bullet qualifies as Electric), reduce aggro built by arts, and her Heat Sink gems in case you need to cool the gun down at any point. With those factors in play, you can pretty much reactive Drive Boost as soon as it's ended and then spam Thunder Bullet repeatedly.

The thing about her sucking for chains is so true, though. Purple is pretty much the only color she can meaningfully contribute with more than once. You also can't rely on Melia to fix it without giving up controlling Sharla (and the AI can't play her for damage at all) or giving up controlling Melia (where the AI is even sadder). Pretty much her best options there are Riki and... I guess Seven, although her Purple arts are okay at best.

Shadow Ninja 64 fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jul 22, 2015

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Junpei Hyde posted:

Xenoblade's cool because pretty much any party combination works. Just make sure you're the one controlling Melia though.

Why is that? What attacks should I use as Melia?

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Comrade Flynn posted:

Stuff her full of electric plus and ether gems, do summon bolt followed by summon copy, then alternate summoning and discharging other elements until her talent art is full. Summon another bolt, hit the skill that reduces enemies' ether resistance, then fire off all three bolts. If that didn't kill the enemy then Melia probably has aggro now, so have fun with that.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Comrade Flynn posted:

Why is that?

Media's AI prioritizes passive buffing and avoiding aggro, even when some aggro draw would end the fight right then and there.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Comrade Flynn posted:

As mentioned before, the AI does an incredibly poor job of using her and managing her summons gimmick. Also, you can either do as Suaimhneas suggested and focus heavily on Summon Bolt or you can use her DoT effects more (Summon Ice and/or Summon Earth). Both strategies are very good.

Also, Spear Break into Starlight Kick (I think that's the name, it's been awhile) is a forced topple and one of the few topples/dazes that bypasses the need for break. This is huge later in the game where a lot of enemies have high resistance to break but no such resistance to topple/daze. Using the gems that increase topple duration and a team of topplers, you can keep a lot of enemies permanently topple-locked.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Comrade Flynn posted:

Melia's problem is that her AI is really bad about managing her skillset.

Melia's gimmick is that she has Summons for various elements. When summoned they provide a passive buff. You can then discharge the summon for a powerful attack. However her AI is extremely bad about juggling buffs, using them at the right time, and is very bad about managing aggro. Since Melia is the glass cannon if you leave her in AI hands she'll tend to draw absurd amounts of aggro and get stomped hard. Alternately she'll sit on her buffs and not attack even when she should. On the other hand in player hands she can wreck face because a player can choose the right abilities to use.

In terms of her abilities: Summons are discharged in the order of the last one summoned. Keep this in mind for chains.

Summon Earth - Probably her best spell. It gives a Defense Up aura when summoned and triggers Poison when discharged. Her poison damage is very high and goes even higher with Gems. However it has a relatively long cooldown. In boss fights you want to keep it up as a buff and then use Summon Copy to make a copy of it to inflict poison on enemy. When chaining make sure that Summon Earth is second or third on your list. (Second is most reliable.) This will scale the Poison damage hilariously and can allow you to wreck many high-level superbosses. against regular enemies just discharge it, stacking DoTs on regular mooks is more useful than saving for chains.

Summon Ice - Gives Ether Defense Up. Discharges for a AoE-on-caster ice burst that inflicts Chill. Very useful, high damage and with a good cooldown. Benefits from Chill Up gems. A great basic attack spell.

Summon Flare - Gives Strength Up. Discharges as an AoE-on-target fire burst that inflicts Blaze. Also extremely good.

Summon Bolt - Gives Ether Up. Discharges as a single burst on target. Extremely strong and with an absurdly short cooldown but it draws aggro like crazy. If you have a lot of Art Stealth or aggro control you can make this into ridiculous damage but it is probably her riskiest attack.

Summon Wind - Agility Up, AoE attack. A really good buff but lacks the absurd DoT power of the other AoEs.

Summon Copy- A free recast of the last summon you used on a separate cooldown. Use for high-cooldown stuff like Summon Earth or just to spam attacks.

Spear Break/Starlight Kick: A free no-break Topple which is extremely powerful but uses up two skill slots. Only real useful if you want to keep enemies Topple-locked but can be effective.

Reflection - Reflects non-Talent arts. Useful if you're using her in a team without Shulk or have trouble managing aggro.

Shadow Stitch - Binds enemies in an AoE for a long time. VERY powerful. You can abuse the hell out of this if you're willing to do a lot of aggro juggling. Mostly useful for high-end bosses but not to be understimated.

Burst End - Only usable when Talent Gauge is maxed out. Debuffs enemy defenses. Excellent overall.

Mind Blast - Only usable when Taletn Gauge is mxaed out. Huge damage, removes Aura, inflicts art seal on enemy. If you're going for a Shulkless team this is invaluable.

Hypnotize - Puts an enemy to sleep. Sometimes useful if you need extra control.

Her other skills are meh. I tended to run Earth/Ice/Fire/Copy and Stitch/Burst/Mind/Reflect, sometimes substituting Hypnosis or Bolt for flavor.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jul 22, 2015

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Has anyone noticed the C-stick on their New 3DS going bad? I haven't had it all that long and it's really lovely while playing MH4U. Moving left to right is okay, and moving downwards is fine, but trying to move the camera up requires me to almost dig my nail into the nub and press down. I don't recall it being this hard but it's making things difficult. :I

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

That's a very common problem with MH4

As far as I know there's not much you can do about it

Saagonsa fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jul 22, 2015

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Saagonsa posted:

That's a very common problem WITH MH4

As far as I know there's not much you can do about it

Oh. I don't play much else on my 3DS at the moment so I thought it was just an issue with the 3DS.

:(

riding gravity
May 7, 2007

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Has anyone noticed the C-stick on their New 3DS going bad? I haven't had it all that long and it's really lovely while playing MH4U. Moving left to right is okay, and moving downwards is fine, but trying to move the camera up requires me to almost dig my nail into the nub and press down. I don't recall it being this hard but it's making things difficult. :I

I had a similar problem but with the down direction. I did a warranty repair with Nintendo and they replaced the C Stick actuator. Sent it in and got it back within a few days, C Stick works great now.

Yes Man Kablam
Mar 18, 2010
Same for me too, response was quick and took no time repairing, worth getting done instead of putting up with a gammy stick!

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

How much would it cost to repair?

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Is it still in warranty? You said it was a New, so it should be.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
Is that stick supposed to be so stiff? Like, completely immobile? And you just have to sort of bend it with your finger to rotate the camera or whatever?
I have nothing to compare it with, so I kinda assumed it was just shoddily designed that way, but maybe it's just a problem with my unit? Is the stick supposed to move around or not?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

woodenchicken posted:

Is that stick supposed to be so stiff? Like, completely immobile? And you just have to sort of bend it with your finger to rotate the camera or whatever?
I have nothing to compare it with, so I kinda assumed it was just shoddily designed that way, but maybe it's just a problem with my unit? Is the stick supposed to move around or not?

It doesn't really move, no. It's pressure-sensitive like old IBM laptop nipple-mouses.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
I wonder why they chose this design.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I am really, really liking Fire Emblem. I've never played a FE game before, and Awakening is pretty much that. Where's my Sully Amiibo?

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Fix posted:

I am really, really liking Fire Emblem. I've never played a FE game before, and Awakening is pretty much that. Where's my Sully Amiibo?

You'll get a Tharja amiibo and like it.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I don't know who that is, but I am so looking forward to finding out!

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

woodenchicken posted:

Durable and cheap.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I just checked my redownloadable list on the EU eshop and most of my games are missing? wtf?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

tithin posted:

I just checked my redownloadable list on the EU eshop and most of my games are missing? wtf?

Because they're currently downloaded. Go to "Your Downloads" for the lot.

Yes it does seem counter-intuitive.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Where could I find that? It's not under settings / others.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

tithin posted:

Where could I find that? It's not under settings / others.

On the bottom row of the screen in Redownloadable Software. (Not at the end of the list, at the edge of the screen next to the start button.)

Super counter-intuitive.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Jul 23, 2015

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It's a little late, but Tomodachi Life is getting a Dutch localisation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vo4bm3lXijU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It's a little late, but Tomodachi Life is getting a Dutch localisation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vo4bm3lXijU

Shibata's obsession with this game is getting ridiculous. How about fixing the EU Nintendo market? Still missing Brain Training 3 and Rusty's Baseball. No word on the new Style Savvy game either even though they do better in Europe than the US, AFAIK.

Sigh.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Just give up on baseball in Europe.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Tomodachi Life was a massive success in Europe; the first-year sales were higher than those of Animal Crossing New Leaf, and the 2DS bundle accounted for something like 50% of all 3DS hardware sold that year.

Speaking of Animal Crossing and Europe: three new AC faceplates, out October 2:

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jul 23, 2015

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Healbot posted:

Just give up on baseball in Europe.

Never! I want to be scammed by a dog to buy baseball mini games that I will never play!

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Fire Emblem Fates is getting DLC besides the third route.

It's mostly set up in a similiar way to Awakening DLC, but for some of them, you'll be using characters separate from your game progress rather than your party, and one of them details the background of the world of Fates and likely details how Owain, Inigo, and Severa arrive in the Fates world to serve Nohr royals Leo, Xander, and Camilla respectively as Odin, Lazward, and Luna.

There's also grinding maps. The weapon grinding map is the only way to easily get weapons that are limited in number for all routes, while the EXP map is the only map that lets you grind for EXP on the Conquest route. Additionally, the limitless money grinding map is the easiest way to grind money for the Conquest route (and likely the other two routes).

Some rewards that you get from the DLC maps can only be gotten the first time you complete a DLC map as well.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

woodenchicken posted:

It probably takes up a lot less space inside the case than a whole circle pad assembly would.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Every time I'm interested in downloading a game, I can't find it on the eshop. I was like, hmm Dragon Quest V looks fun but it doesn't have a digital download and new copies are like fifty bucks.