Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kresher
Sep 11, 2001
Permanent Patient

I need that icon mod

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Holy poo poo 4,799 xp :psyduck:

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

grrarg posted:

The Aoba owns. The guns are super accurate, but it is very hard to citadel a Cleveland. The Cleveland does not have one big engine room citadel amidships like most ships. It has two little ones. A tiny one just behind the rear funnel, and a slightly bigger one ahead of the forward funnel.

This. Aoba owns and if you get the hang of her, the entire rest of the line is gonna be a fun ride for you, too. There's no pitfall left after the Furutaka, they're all good ships.

And if you wanna citadel a Cleveland, aim below her forward superstructure instead of the funnels.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Kresher posted:

I need that icon mod

Aslain's modpack.

Last match had a BB running up alongside of me while I was in the middle of engaging an enemy ship. He pulls up alongside, blocking my view of the ship and while I was zoomed in to fire on the other my rear gun must have hit him for whatever 15 or 20 damage. Either way he has to make the "Why don't you watch where you are going." and "Next time don't deal damage to friendlies." Being the stand up guy that I am I dropped a full spread of torps into his side and sank him promptly. Let me tell you what he was not happy at all no sir he was not.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

OSad posted:

I understand that having fun is important, especially in a game that gets a little old the more you play it. And I do have fun playing and making money in my Kongou for instance.

But I don't enjoy playing a boat that I'm essentially done with, just to get credits with her. To me, it feels like a terrible waste of time: I'd rather just play another ship of the same tier that I'm not done with, and make credits and meaningful progress down a line with that way. It's a real destructive behavior in this game since that's just not viable past tier 8, but I just can't bring myself to play a ship for the sake of playing a ship and nothing else. It feels like I'm making zero progress.

Ironically I burned out in world of tanks for this exact reason, I have a bunch of tier 9 tanks researched but no credits whatsoever, and I don't want to play tanks I'm done with just to get credits. I'm ready to admit this is some stupid behavior on my part but my pragmatism speaks higher than fun in most cases.

That is pretty much how I feel about the game, when I rent out of stuff to play for, I don't play a whole lot. I think ships is going to have a worse problem with this with how similar some ships are per tier.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Eh, I understand not wanting to "waste time" playing boats you've Elite'd already, but I justify it by hopping on TS and finding some nerds who are still at T4 and giving them a partner to play with. I've got boats from Tier 3 to Tier 7, I can usually pick something people want to play and play with them.

Still waiting on the eventual ship slot sale, so I can buy up a bunch of slots and fill them with cool boats for cool people. And have some extras for when new countries get added.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

CitizenKain posted:

That is pretty much how I feel about the game, when I rent out of stuff to play for, I don't play a whole lot. I think ships is going to have a worse problem with this with how similar some ships are per tier.
The Pensacola -> New Orleans -> Baltimore grind will be awful.

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

to Accursed 2 leave armour

OSad posted:

I understand that having fun is important, especially in a game that gets a little old the more you play it. And I do have fun playing and making money in my Kongou for instance.

But I don't enjoy playing a boat that I'm essentially done with, just to get credits with her. To me, it feels like a terrible waste of time: I'd rather just play another ship of the same tier that I'm not done with, and make credits and meaningful progress down a line with that way. It's a real destructive behavior in this game since that's just not viable past tier 8, but I just can't bring myself to play a ship for the sake of playing a ship and nothing else. It feels like I'm making zero progress.

Ironically I burned out in world of tanks for this exact reason, I have a bunch of tier 9 tanks researched but no credits whatsoever, and I don't want to play tanks I'm done with just to get credits. I'm ready to admit this is some stupid behavior on my part but my pragmatism speaks higher than fun in most cases.

this sounds more like the MMO type of videogame nerd who's wired their brain to grind for the sake of grinding than pragmatism. If you're sticking with the game all you can really do is dump money on some premium ships to fuel your habit

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

grrarg posted:

The Pensacola -> New Orleans -> Baltimore grind will be awful.
And boring.

e: I have NO fully upgraded but Des Moines is long way off and requires 450k xp :negative:

Aesis fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jul 23, 2015

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost
I don't think I've had a night where more poo poo could go wrong constantly. Just solid, wall to wall poo poo. I played like poo poo, teams did poo poo, just poo poo everywhere.

johnsonrod
Oct 25, 2004

Tekopo posted:

Keep in mind that the 10% loading time one increases loading time, so I would not suggest it on BBs since the loading time is already awful enough as is.

gently caress..... I'm just realizing this now. I really should have paid closer attention.

Kresher
Sep 11, 2001
Permanent Patient
I caved in and bought Atlanta today.

I got Korean mixed in, since that's the only way I can get in-game Korean chatting patched in.

In right maps with tight engagement corridors at short range, the Atlanta lets me spam fireballs like a madman.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
Quick quiz time !

You are in a match, in a slightly damaged St. Louis, and you come up against a full health South Carolina. Early in the engagement, you take a hit to the steering, causing you to be locked in a hard turn to port for over a minute as Repair is on cooldown. Who wins ?

http://www.mreboy.com/wot/20150722_220921_PASC004-St-Louis-1906_13_OC_new_dawn.wowsreplay

Fast forward to about 6:40something left on the match timer.

A: Dumb poo poo South Carolina was shooting HE & missing quite a lot, I burned him down with massive HE spam eventually.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

Kresher posted:

I got Korean mixed in, since that's the only way I can get in-game Korean chatting patched in.

In right maps with tight engagement corridors at short range, the Atlanta lets me spam fireballs like a madman.

Atlantas are goddamn terrifying in a destroyer. Oh look a wall of orange heading towards me, oh look, another, and another and another.

Michi88
Sep 15, 2012

Still a Pubbie Magnet
How does it work!?
:livintrope:

CitizenKain posted:

Atlantas are goddamn terrifying in a destroyer. Oh look a wall of orange heading towards me, oh look, another, and another and another.

That gets really annoying in a bb when you are dueling an equal bb. Oh hey im hit, on fire, more fire, more fire, fire, put them out, more fire, and some more fire....etc

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
You dirty little Korean!

Apparently Wargaming Korea did an awful job (as usual) so some users made custom patch for localization.

There is a bitch in Korean branch who thinks high of herself in charge of localization, and working with her was pain in the rear end. At least I was contracted with HQ so she had absolutely no say on me and that probably drove her mad :v:

Aesis fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jul 23, 2015

OSad
Feb 29, 2012
I almost don't get set on fire by Altantas anymore with both the fire reduction skil and DamCon1. The Atlanta shots also don't seem to do anything if they hit a flat part of my deck. And the Atlanta drivers never seem to use their torpedoes, even when they have guaranteed hits at less than 4.5 kilometers.

Really, Altantas are just nice little snacks when I'm driving my battleships. Which means that most of the drivers do nothing but sail in a straight line, try to plink me down with HE and get obliterated shortly after. I love Atlantas.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
I love them too. Bam bam citadel hit with my cruisers :sun:

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I hate seeing Atlantas and Atagos in my Warspite, until I get within like 10km of them I have a really hard time hitting them, if they try to evade. Once I do hit them it is not uncommon to get 1 or 2 Citadel hits per kill. The problem is they burn me until I kill them.

Atago is the better premium ship anyway, so much fun using Atago AP to nuke the poo poo out of some Atlantas.

OSad
Feb 29, 2012

Tahirovic posted:

I hate seeing Atlantas and Atagos in my Warspite, until I get within like 10km of them I have a really hard time hitting them, if they try to evade. Once I do hit them it is not uncommon to get 1 or 2 Citadel hits per kill. The problem is they burn me until I kill them.

To be honest, playing a Warspite currently seems like pure hell if you get into one of those tier 8 matchups filled with Atagos. I don't know how frequently it happens, but being outranged by a cruiser that has probably double my rate-of-fire, a pretty low and hard to hit deckboard, can do thirty-something knots and can turn on a dime, and just as a kick in the balls, can make way more money than I can... it doesn't seem like a good time to me.

Warspite already has trouble handling things that outrange it like Fusos, imagine a team with four or five Atagos.

Edit: Thought Warspite had a 14.3 kilometer range. Nevermind me!

OSad fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Jul 23, 2015

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

OSad posted:

To be honest, playing a Warspite currently seems like pure hell if you get into one of those tier 8 matchups filled with Atagos. I don't know how frequently it happens, but being outranged by a cruiser that has probably double my rate-of-fire, a pretty low and hard to hit deckboard, can do thirty-something knots and can turn on a dime, and just as a kick in the balls, can make way more money than I can... it doesn't seem like a good time to me.

Warspite already has trouble handling things that outrange it like Fusos, imagine a team with four or five Atagos.
:confused:
Warspite range: 16.3km
Atago range: 15.8km

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

After a few days of snipe-hunting, I finally figured out what was causing my fullscreen mouse cursor disappearance. I had somehow inadvertently turned on the Windows Magnifier option. I thought I'd post it here in case it helps someone in the future, learning from my dumbassity. :shobon:

Jack_tripper
Jun 7, 2009
I am reasonably competent in destroyers but hadn't had a really massive game until just now even though it was marred by a worthless shitter

I head to the islands in the beginning, dodge their isokaze's torps and kill him, then get torped in the back by our wickes losing 5k hp. poo poo happens, I'm not mad. I make another pass wiping out a phoenix and retreat to set back up when I'm surrounded by torps coming from the other direction from the same loving wickes. I have to run aground to dodge them, then back out and stick 2 right in his side. it was still a pretty good game but would have been better if I hadn't been fined 47k for defending myself; notice he was fined less than 3000 credits for taking half my health

Jack_tripper fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Jul 23, 2015

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Insert name here posted:

Perhaps he means effective range; at max range a Warspite is firing slow shells at a target agile enough to dodge, with a 30s reload time. If the Atago drives 500m closer it's firing much faster shells, with less dispersion, and a reload of 15 seconds, against a less agile target.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Kresher posted:

Do premium ships get a 50% bonus to base xp? :confused:

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I'm really bad at battleships, even now that I am starting to land at least 1 shell per salvo (usually) it only ever seems to do 1-2k damage. This is in my Myogi. Think I'll just dump my free xp and bail into IJN DD or something.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Insert name here posted:

Warspite camo: 14.3 or something
Atago camo: 10.2 km with module and camo (9.x with commander skill)

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
^^^^
You won't hit an Atago at 15km in a Warspite if the Atago knows what it's doing anyway, so camo is a small factor.

OSad posted:

Edit: Thought Warspite had a 14.3 kilometer range. Nevermind me!

The effective range of a Warspite against a cruiser is less than 10km, if said cruiser isn't a dumbass. And yes 1 out of 2 matches are games I just drive straight for the enemy and get as much damage in as I can before dying.
No point wasting time against 6 Atlanta/Atagos and a loving tier9 carrier. Die asap and go requeue in my New York or whatever ship I fancy.

I think my biggest problem right now with this game is that it is horribly loving unbalanced when you're facing decent players. A carrier good at manual drops takes me out of the match whatever I do, a good HE spamming cruiser utterly ruins my day and if there's a decent DD player he can easy enough own me without even being spotted, unless I have some allied CR/DD to take care of it.

Balance ruins like 5 out of 10 games for me, 4 get ruined by the retarded MM and every 10th is an actual enjoyable match. I really should have rolled EU instead of NA for this, then maybe the MM wouldn't be such a horrible mess, that is if it is actually better during NA peak hours.

Tahirovic fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Jul 23, 2015

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/40321-04x-prehistorics-dirty-no-chat-mod-wows-edition/

:doh: Just like in WOT, it has started in WOWS as well. Pubbies making themselves more deaf, dumb and blind than they already were.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Welp, apparently for hanging back and defending the cap with my battleship instead of charging straight forward into the open one-by-one like the DDs and dying makes me a bad player.

:shrug:

e: And one of the angriest pubbies was a destroyer that teamkilled our destroyer with torpedo spam.

ijyt fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Jul 23, 2015

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

PirateBob posted:

http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/40321-04x-prehistorics-dirty-no-chat-mod-wows-edition/

:doh: Just like in WOT, it has started in WOWS as well. Pubbies making themselves more deaf, dumb and blind than they already were.

the official forums are tanks circa 2011 before the 45% always shoot HE Play4Fun brigade got shot down by wotlabs type posters. It looks like they bought into the ships beta en masse so they could make a save haven for their bad opinions and now they're lamenting how terrible the game is now that other people who might possibly care about playing well and winning can take part.

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

ijyt posted:

Welp, apparently for hanging back and defending the cap with my battleship instead of charging straight forward into the open one-by-one like the DDs and dying makes me a bad player.

it does

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Warspite back on Asian server for limited time apparently.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Jack_tripper posted:

I am reasonably competent in destroyers but hadn't had a really massive game until just now even though it was marred by a worthless shitter

I head to the islands in the beginning, dodge their isokaze's torps and kill him, then get torped in the back by our wickes losing 5k hp. poo poo happens, I'm not mad. I make another pass wiping out a phoenix and retreat to set back up when I'm surrounded by torps coming from the other direction from the same loving wickes. I have to run aground to dodge them, then back out and stick 2 right in his side. it was still a pretty good game but would have been better if I hadn't been fined 47k for defending myself; notice he was fined less than 3000 credits for taking half my health

You only get paid a fraction of his fine.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

PirateBob posted:

Does this actually remove the chat window, or just make it invisible? Because if it's the former, I could see some decent use from it for carriers, since the chat window currently restricts the amount of screen they can actually use for directing and attacks. That said, the intended purpose of it is indeed dumb.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

ijyt posted:

:shrug:

e: And one of the angriest pubbies was a destroyer that teamkilled our destroyer with torpedo spam.

Well if there was a reason to defend you are not a noob. If you just hung around all game doing nothing except waiting for that defense it made you pretty much useless. Battleships hanging back are one of those things that enrage me, they contribute gently caress all because they wont hit poo poo and worst case they take hits from cruisers. If battleships actually support a nice push on a flank and soak damage they contribute to actually winning a match.

Yesterday I had 2 loving battleships who were "guarding the carrier", our flank got rolled because the enemy battleships were in that fight, after that the two useless loving idiots in their battleships died with the carrier in a 3 vs 8.

Really just loving push your battleship into the fight and pray your cruisers and destroyers actually cover you against the enemy destroyers you will contribute far more even if you die. The only exception to this is if you're some super god who hits with 50% of his shots at 16km on moving cruisers (you're lying or only up against bad cruisers).

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Tahirovic posted:

Well if there was a reason to defend you are not a noob. If you just hung around all game doing nothing except waiting for that defense it made you pretty much useless. Battleships hanging back are one of those things that enrage me, they contribute gently caress all because they wont hit poo poo and worst case they take hits from cruisers. If battleships actually support a nice push on a flank and soak damage they contribute to actually winning a match.

Yesterday I had 2 loving battleships who were "guarding the carrier", our flank got rolled because the enemy battleships were in that fight, after that the two useless loving idiots in their battleships died with the carrier in a 3 vs 8.

Really just loving push your battleship into the fight and pray your cruisers and destroyers actually cover you against the enemy destroyers you will contribute far more even if you die. The only exception to this is if you're some super god who hits with 50% of his shots at 16km on moving cruisers (you're lying or only up against bad cruisers).

I went up NE to fend off a wave of cruisers, then started heading back to the center when two ships hidden behind islands headed for the cap while our destroyers pissed about in the cove.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I've been sending my Erie out on waypoint runs with the Map and somehow or other having some pretty fun rail-riding games.

Set a path that goes to the cap or the first domination point, then have the remaining 4 points doubling back on a line inside the cap/going to each domination point in turn. Shoot at any enemies spotted. Die and/or have a glorious match in the confusion. Re-set the waypoints if I survive long enough/the match lasts long enough to need it.

Granted, this is Tier 1 where everyone is dumb, but it's still good for practicing leading targets while the ship is going through a turn and shooting over the tops of islands at enemies within range.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

Wade Wilson posted:

I've been sending my Erie out on waypoint runs with the Map and somehow or other having some pretty fun rail-riding games.

Set a path that goes to the cap or the first domination point, then have the remaining 4 points doubling back on a line inside the cap/going to each domination point in turn. Shoot at any enemies spotted. Die and/or have a glorious match in the confusion. Re-set the waypoints if I survive long enough/the match lasts long enough to need it.

Granted, this is Tier 1 where everyone is dumb, but it's still good for practicing leading targets while the ship is going through a turn and shooting over the tops of islands at enemies within range.
That could lead to some really bad habits. You never want to move in a straight line at a constant speed for long. That's a recipe for eating torpedoes. If you are new and want to practice gunnery, do the co-op battles versus bots. There is no shame in it. The bots are better than most new players anyway.

Still, you would be better off learning to turn manually and shoot at the same time. Get in the habit of weaving and seeing the effect it has on your speed and trajectory. Autopilot is mainly for carriers that want to stay on station in a certain area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Fun fact (and maybe I should have mentioned this earlier)
Pressing Q or E will cause your ship to start turning in 1/2 and full rudder to port and starboard. One press of Q is half to port, 2 presses is full to port. Manually adjusting your rudder will reset this back to neutral position. Using these keys allows you to only have to press a key once or twice to enter a turn, then go back to focusing on shooting things. Just make sure not to forget you're turning and turn too far!