Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Courier: C'mon Boone, I need you. I mean the war was twenty years ago.

Boone: In my mind, there's a war still going on.

Courier: Alright, what happened, Boone? What is it that you can't get over?

Boone: Bitter Springs, 2260. I was the best cook the NCR ever saw, slinging
hash for the Fighting 103rd. As we marched north, our supply lines were getting
thin. One day a couple of GIs found a crate, inside were six hundred pounds of
prime brahmin steak. At least it once was prime. The use by date was three weeks
past, but I was arrogant, I was brash, I thought if I used just the right
spices, cooked it long enough...

Courier: What happened?

Boone: I went too far. I over seasoned it. Men were keeling over all around
me. I can still hear the retching, the screaming. I sent sixteen of my own men
to the latrines that night. They were just boys.

Courier: Boone, you were a boy too. And it was war. It was a crazy time for
everyone.

Boone: Tell that to Bobby Colby. All that kid wanted to do was go home. Well
he went home alright, with a crater in his colon the size of a cutlet. Had to
sit him on a cork the eighteen-hour vertibird flight home!

Courier: Boone, now listen to me. Two hundred Novac singles need you. This is
your chance to make it all right again.

Boone: No. No, I'll never cook again! Never! Now get out of my house!! Get
out. Go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
To demonstrate that the hole is big enough "for a man to fit in", the Courier lays down in the hole. Benny shoots him in the face and two rough trade individuals bury him.

Later, Victor digs up the Courier, who proceeds to frantically search for something.

COURIER: "Aw! He said he wouldn't take the chip!"

VICTOR: "What happened?!"

COURIER: "This guy said this hole wasn't big enough for a man to fit in!"

VICTOR: "So you got in willingly?"

COURIER: "I kept saying, 'I've fit into plenty of holes; I'm sure I can squeeze into this one!' Man, if I ever find that guy again, you know what I'm going to do?"

VICTOR: "BEND OVER?"

The Courier immediately gets angry and defensive and Googles "Confirmed Bachelor".

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

And now this thread is more entertaining than Fallout 4 can ever hope to be. Thank you both.

Mastodon Compound
Oct 2, 2012
Where the hell are the lone wanderers parents from? It's a genuine mystery. Maybe they're from boston...

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

JackBadass posted:

If it was anything like this, it wouldn't live up to the concept.

This was the best loving baseball game. Replace being tagged out with a fight. With the right guy, you could steal all the bases most of the time.

Bubonic Plagiarist
Sep 10, 2009
With the return to a more Morrowindy armor layering style, I hope Bethesda also brings back levitation ("atomic levitation") and spellcrafting ("radiationcrafting").

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Bubonic Plagiarist posted:

With the return to a more Morrowindy armor layering style, I hope Bethesda also brings back levitation ("atomic levitation") and spellcrafting ("radiationcrafting").

Having just started Morrowind I appreciate that I can wear a mess of different armors but still swag myself out by covering myself with an Extravagant Robe, along with my weird Troll Skull it really ties my look together.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

They have already shown that power armor can have a jet pack on it.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

if i am remembering right, wasn't the removal of levitation from oblivion and skyrim due to memory limitations on the PS3 / 360, because they wanted to keep cities as their own interior cells and if you included levitation then you also have to allow the game to display for a player an entire city if they decide to fly up over it? in that sense, the next elder scrolls game might won't have levitation included, because the memory issues are less of a problem on the ps4/xbone

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Console machines? They can't do what it need . going to play this on my sweet PC gaming rig.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

homeless poster posted:

if i am remembering right, wasn't the removal of levitation from oblivion and skyrim due to memory limitations on the PS3 / 360, because they wanted to keep cities as their own interior cells and if you included levitation then you also have to allow the game to display for a player an entire city if they decide to fly up over it? in that sense, the next elder scrolls game might won't have levitation included, because the memory issues are less of a problem on the ps4/xbone

Bethesda said it was because levitation limited their design, allowing players to bypass any sort of vertical traversal challenge by just floating to the top of a cave or a tower.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

So QuakeCon is today right? Anyone knows when is the fallout 4 stuff?

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

I can't say I wouldn't have taken the opportunity to grind the requisite skill to just fly to High Hrothgar and the Throat of the World had it been available.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

frajaq posted:

So QuakeCon is today right? Anyone knows when is the fallout 4 stuff?

Tomorrow (the 24th) at 1pm is when Fallout gets a press conference IIRC.

Re: levitation you could just limit the ability to X-meters above the ground to prevent people from bypassing poo poo. Levitation is also technically canon for Fallout as you could get some sort of anti-grav system for your car (e: in FO2). Doubt we'll be revisiting that here though.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

cargohills posted:

Bethesda said it was because levitation limited their design, allowing players to bypass any sort of vertical traversal challenge by just floating to the top of a cave or a tower.

ah bloo bloo bloo encounter design is hard what if players use tools we gave them to overcome a challenge we should make sure we only give them a hammer so that they have to sequentially hit every nail instead of being able to engage the game on their own terms

b-b-b-but how will they be forced to enjoy our heavily scripted set piece scenes if they can just avoid them at will

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

homeless poster posted:

ah bloo bloo bloo encounter design is hard what if players use tools we gave them to overcome a challenge we should make sure we only give them a hammer so that they have to sequentially hit every nail instead of being able to engage the game on their own terms

b-b-b-but how will they be forced to enjoy our heavily scripted set piece scenes if they can just avoid them at will

My sentiments exactly. Oh players can fly at high levels? Well then maybe you should design some dungeon to take that into account! Instead of removing it they should have doubled down on it. Wizards flying around in the sky, guards with bows/flight magic, vertical mazes or whatnot that can't be done without levitation, etc.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Rutibex posted:

My sentiments exactly. Oh players can fly at high levels? Well then maybe you should design some dungeon to take that into account! Instead of removing it they should have doubled down on it. Wizards flying around in the sky, guards with bows/flight magic, vertical mazes or whatnot that can't be done without levitation, etc.

no poo poo right? how much cooler would dragon battles have been if high level battles involved you flying around and stabbing / shooting them in the loving sky! alduin the destroyer of time is felled by a mortal who in entirely imprisoned by gravity. HOW EPIC INSTEAD OF LETTING PLAYERS FLY WE CAN JUST GIVE THEM A POWER TO MAKE FLYING THINGS LAND :downs:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

homeless poster posted:

no poo poo right? how much cooler would dragon battles have been if high level battles involved you flying around and stabbing / shooting them in the loving sky! alduin the destroyer of time is felled by a mortal who in entirely imprisoned by gravity. HOW EPIC INSTEAD OF LETTING PLAYERS FLY WE CAN JUST GIVE THEM A POWER TO MAKE FLYING THINGS LAND :downs:

The Dragon battles would have been pretty bad since full movement in all 3 dimensions in first person melee combat (especially in Bethesda's lovely engine) isn't very enjoyable.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

There was a power to make them land?

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Yeah it was a drat convenient shout too

sout
Apr 24, 2014

So that quakecon footage is gunna leak right?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Dragons are basically big cliff racers, gently caress them, I just walked away if I could

sout
Apr 24, 2014

It's the incomplete complete collection!
It's official, Brotherhood of Steel never happened.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

sout posted:

Oh, Bethesda. You do care.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
So is that going to be metal or plastic poorly painted plastic to look like metal?

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

sout posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09vVF-Hvykg&t=9s

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Cojawfee posted:

So is that going to be metal or plastic poorly painted plastic to look like metal?

In a sly nod to fans of Fallout: New Vegas, and in reference to Cliff Briscoe's supply of model rockets, it will actually emit dangerous amounts of radiation.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

sout posted:

That looks pretty cool

also theres already people angry out there that Bethesda put their name on the older games :newlol:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Sistine Chapel? I painted that poo poo. My name's right there.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

sout posted:

In a sly nod to fans of Fallout: New Vegas, and in reference to Cliff Briscoe's supply of model rockets, it will actually emit dangerous amounts of radiation.

They are actually made from surplus Davy Crockett warheads. So supplies are limited!

sout
Apr 24, 2014

frajaq posted:

That looks pretty cool

also theres already people angry out there that Bethesda put their name on the older games :newlol:

Oh man I didn't notice that.
You should come by my continent South America sometime. It's mine and I own it.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

homeless poster posted:

If it would be like the Levitation was in Morrowind, it would be awful.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I mean. They DO own it. Are they claiming they made the first games? Did they go into the originals and remove all Interplay logos and such?
If not. Shut up.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Hihohe posted:

I mean. They DO own it. Are they claiming they made the first games? Did they go into the originals and remove all Interplay logos and such?
If not. Shut up.

Fair enough but I hope they do because that would be amazing.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Hihohe posted:

Are they claiming they made the first games? Did they go into the originals and remove all Interplay logos and such?

There's video footage of Todd Howard breaking into a store and doing exactly this, but if you want to keep defending him, go right ahead.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Hihohe posted:

If not. Shut up.

It's really mean but oh man it would be funny as hell if they did exactly that

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
They should have had Alduin be some crazy dragon priest with his dragon and you can fight each other on the backs of your respective dragons and crib from Dance of Dragons where one dude jumps off his dragon and impales the other dude before landing on the other dragon.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Phlegmish posted:

There's video footage of Todd Howard breaking into a store and doing exactly this, but if you want to keep defending him, go right ahead.

Dont you dare say im defending Todd. Im just saying you can buy the rights to a game then sell the game under your name.

Hihohe fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jul 23, 2015

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I heard Todd Howard vandalized Interplay's Wikipedia page to make it say they went bankrupt in 1996.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

Freakazoid_ posted:

This was the best loving baseball game. Replace being tagged out with a fight. With the right guy, you could steal all the bases most of the time.

And by "fight", you mean whoever hits A first.

• Locked thread