Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

What a sweet girl. I'm sorry she had to go through all that.

Same, which is why I'm still allowing this well after it stopped being cute that she steals all my pillows...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cloudy
Jul 3, 2007

Alive to the universe; dead to the world.

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

I could use some suggestions though on helping to socialize her/reducing her anxiety. She's very nervous about meeting new people (and I honestly haven't even tried to bring her near other dogs), and she is at times terrified of being outside. I can usually only get her to go for a walk very early in the morning or very late at night. I live in a quieter neighborhood in Chicago, so there's some regular foot-traffic and cars, but it's about as busy as a suburb. Still, most of the time I try to get her outside her tail is curled under her and she is always looking to press herself up against a doorway to be let inside.

Hey! I just adopted a dog that has some confidence issues as well. I also live in Chicago (Ravenswood) so if you ever want to have some dog socialization meetups (if you think that will help) I would be glad to help. It would help out my dog, too :)

My dog, Banjo, loves being outside, but is always a little slow and nervous to actually get out the door. And she is shy with new people, but loves being petted. She's so contradictory it's kind of hilarious sometimes.

I will let other people give suggestions about her (Bailey's) fear of outside, though. Other than stuff face with treats, I'm not sure.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Triangulum posted:

Your friend is a loving idiot :cripes:

And so are you!

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
How's worf btw. I have a soft spot in my heart for bullies

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

How's worf btw. I have a soft spot in my heart for bullies

Doing extremely well. We're still working on walking, but he and Thor basically spend all their time wrestling or napping together now, and all the missing bits in his coat are growing back in nicely. His first obedience class is tonight.

We did have a bit of an issue over the weekend, though. He kept barfing and having diarrhea, so we took him to the vet. Some x-rays and a barium test showed that he had a huge clod of grass blocking his intestine. The barium helped him pass it though, so now we're working on discouraging him from biting the grass when we're outside. It seems to be more of a nervous habit than anything. He only does it when something loud on the street grabs his attention.

Also, he loves to nap on your lap. Still working on paw placement when climbing onto people though, because as it stands he's gonna sever one of my balls at some point :)

Also, he loving loves the dog park. We went late when we knew no one would be there and we just ran in circles for half an hour, and he looked so happy after. The next time we went there were a couple dogs and they all just ran in circles. He is the most passive dog I've ever owned. Even when some of the naughtier regulars showed up, he just walked away from them and sat by us when they started getting naughty.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?
Ellie the Dumpster Pup update:

She's now successfully eating real food, drinking water, and about to get her shots. She's tripled in size since she was found and has an amazing personality.

I can't believe what an amazing blessing she's been since we found her. She's my little buddy. Sometimes things really do happen for a reason.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
New rescue puppy has lost 1/20th of his weight within the week he's been with us :(

Deworming also revelealed a roundworm and his eyes are probably infected, which means now our First dog also needs antibiotics too. Going to the vet today, hopefully everything is treatable :(

Poor little fella :(

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Jul 22, 2015

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Any suggestions on what to look for in puppy-safe shampoos? Bailey made a very thorough and very enthusiastic mess in her kennel overnight, and I ended up using some old as hell dog shampoo I found. She'd been doing so well for the last two weeks, but I think a combination of giving her more wet food (the Blue Buffalo Wilderness was a big hit) and oversleeping a bit might have ruined the streak.

But it raised the question of 1) brand suggestions to look for and 2) how often should you give a puppy a bath anyway.

Dyna Soar posted:

New rescue puppy has lost 1/20th of his weight within the week he's been with us :(

Deworming also revelealed a roundworm and his eyes are probably infected, which means now our First dog also needs antibiotics too. Going to the vet today, hopefully everything is treatable :(

Poor little fella :(

'Sup fellow rescue/wormed puppy owner? :nexus: :respek: :nexus:

I hope everything turns out for the little guy.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

citybeatnik posted:

'Sup fellow rescue/wormed puppy owner? :nexus: :respek: :nexus:

I hope everything turns out for the little guy.

He's made it this far, I think he'll pull through.

We use something made out of vegetable oil. It's safe to eat (not recommended tho, hah) so I'd think it's puppy safe.

I understand you should use shampoo only twice per year.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

Dyna Soar posted:

And so are you!

Probably! But at least I'm not begging for money to ~save~ a lovely fear biter who should be euthed :) :)

citybeatnik posted:

Mild crosspost from the Austin goonmeet thread.

Bailey was a hit, even if she spent most of the evening just chilling and snoozing.

I still need to work on her leash-training some - she struggles a bit, and treats don't seem to work. Her favorite squeak toy, on the other hand, does help to refocus her attention but even then she seems to be fighting me a bit.

Housetraining needs some work as well - I thought she was doing okay where I could see here, but I just caught her trying (well, more like succeeding) to pee on the carpet in my room. I took her to the backyard so she could finish up her business and I suppose stew upon the error of her ways while I clean up. This is going to be the biggest issue, I'm afraid - as I mentioned in my previous post I'm putting in long hours at work - luckily I finally have a laptop so I can work from home for part of the day and not put in 10 hours before coming back.

Any tips and/or tricks for this? Should I get the wee-pads? Invest in that thing for condos where your dog pees on false grass? She's still in her kennel for long stretches at a time and that concerns me.

That said, her 12 week check-up is this weekend and if all goes well and she gets her shots, I can see about getting her in to a puppy day care for at least a few days a week. I've left her at my sister's house during the day on weekends so she can play around with her dogs in their backyard, but she mostly seems to laze about with them.

Pee pads and those weird fake grass toilets just confuse your dog by teaching it that it's ok to piss and poo poo in the house. Your best bet is probably going to be tethering your dog to you via a leash so you can keep an eye on her and taking her out every 2-3 hours for a bathroom break. Until you're working from home you can do the ex-pen with pee pads/dog toilet thing but be aware it may set back housebreaking quite a bit

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Triangulum posted:

Pee pads and those weird fake grass toilets just confuse your dog by teaching it that it's ok to piss and poo poo in the house. Your best bet is probably going to be tethering your dog to you via a leash so you can keep an eye on her and taking her out every 2-3 hours for a bathroom break. Until you're working from home you can do the ex-pen with pee pads/dog toilet thing but be aware it may set back housebreaking quite a bit

Yeah, i've been warned away from both of those by folks at the office. She's been pretty good in her kennel during the day while i'm at work and overnight, barring the occasional piddle accident when i take my eye off her in the house or the Poopening that happened last night/this morning.

I'll see about getting her outside more frequently when i'm at home. And i think i might need to re-crate train her, since she was more reluctant than usual to go back in. And step back on the wet food for a while.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
This is a very stupid question but is it okay for pax to have sticks from outside? He's been stealing my pens and chewing on them. Are there any types of tree I should avoid

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

This is a very stupid question but is it okay for pax to have sticks from outside? He's been stealing my pens and chewing on them. Are there any types of tree I should avoid

Not really, if you can avoid it. I've seen some nasty injuries and blockages caused by sticks and stick consumption. The odds are low-ish, so don't panic, but discourage if you can.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

I bought tank a pressure treated piece of wood in the shape of a stick and just diverted her to that when she wanted something to chew and she goes it it all the time now.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:

They are expensive but maybe try bully coated antlers if you don't want to deal with potential stick- and bark-related digestion problems. My puppy chews on everything as it is but those really hold her attention for a long time (like a month sometimes).

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

We've started giving Worf a tennis ball when we go for walks. We found that he just really wants something in his mouth so if we give him the ball he happily carries it everywhere and never even looks at anything on the ground.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Pressure treated wood isn't safe for animals just fyi

When Vex was a puppy he somehow got a stick stuck in his molars and it got wedged across the roof of his mouth. Really turned me off letting him play with sticks.

Good alternatives for chews: bully sticks, cow hooves, himalayan chews (pricey as gently caress though), stuffed kongs, nylabones, and antlers (can cause chipped teeth, also expensive)

You can also do UNCOOKED bones but there are a number of risks involved in doing so and you really have to know your dog. My dogs' absolute favorite is raw cow hooves with the meat, bone, and hair still attached but they aren't the easiest thing to find.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

I'd get him a chew specifically for dogs. Fill a kong with peanut butter and stick it in the freezer overnight before giving it to him, it'll keep him busy for hours.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
Why does he like my pens so much :(

They are somewhat expensive

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I'd get him a chew specifically for dogs. Fill a kong with peanut butter and stick it in the freezer overnight before giving it to him, it'll keep him busy for hours.

Everyone keeps saying this and each time I try it the dog'll lick at the easy to reach parts and then forget about it.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Triangulum posted:

Probably! But at least I'm not begging for money to ~save~ a lovely fear biter who should be euthed :) :)

What makes you think he's begging for money? He's asking people to email Seattle animal welfare or any authority related to them and ask them not to put his dog down for no reason, nothing else. Work on your reading comprehension and stop being such a dick, man.

Update on my puppy: Vet said he looks just fine, if a little bit on the thin side. He should bulk up now that he's getting fed quality food. Both dogs have eye infection which she prescribed antibiotic eyedrops for but otherwise they're in great shape. That's a relief.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Jul 23, 2015

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:

citybeatnik posted:

Everyone keeps saying this and each time I try it the dog'll lick at the easy to reach parts and then forget about it.
My dog got bored of kongs with just peanut butter so I started layering them with pb, chopped carrots, broken up biscuit, and mashing a piece of banana in it then sealing it with more pb. Making four our five of them at a time takes maybe ten minutes overall but you freeze them and each one stops her dead for like twenty minutes while she cleans them out.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
I boil rice, doggie treats and chopped carrots and put it into kongs. The dogs like them fine, but think i'll try that fruity mix.

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

Dyna Soar posted:

What makes you think he's begging for money? He's asking people to email Seattle animal welfare or any authority related to them and ask them not to put his dog down for no reason, nothing else. Work on your reading comprehension and stop being such a dick, man.

Update on my puppy: Vet said he looks just fine, if a little bit on the thin side. He should bulk up now that he's getting fed quality food. Both dogs have eye infection which she prescribed antibiotic eyedrops for but otherwise they're in great shape. That's a relief.

If it's a foster dog it's not "his", and it is totally in the best interest of everyone that a fear-biting dog not be adopted out. I feel for your friend, but this is pretty clear-cut to me.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Wheats posted:

If it's a foster dog it's not "his", and it is totally in the best interest of everyone that a fear-biting dog not be adopted out. I feel for your friend, but this is pretty clear-cut to me.

They've had her for a year, but yeah saying she's "his" dog isn't accurate since legally he doesn't own her I guess. However she isn't fear-biting, just air snapping which is fairly common and totally not a valid reason to put down a dog.

Apparently thanks to a lot of people emailing both animal welfare and local politicians, the whole thing is on hold now and the authorities have agreed to have Jenny evaluated by an independent dog expert before making any final decisions.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Jul 23, 2015

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

A dog that responds to startling by air snapping at people is not a dog that would get adopted out by my rescue, nor by many others.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

My dog got bored of kongs with just peanut butter so I started layering them with pb, chopped carrots, broken up biscuit, and mashing a piece of banana in it then sealing it with more pb. Making four our five of them at a time takes maybe ten minutes overall but you freeze them and each one stops her dead for like twenty minutes while she cleans them out.

I think it's less that she gets bored with it and more that she doesn't know what to do with it.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Dyna Soar posted:

They've had her for a year, but yeah saying she's "his" dog isn't accurate since legally he doesn't own her I guess. However she isn't fear-biting, just air snapping which is fairly common and totally not a valid reason to put down a dog.

Apparently thanks to a lot of people emailing both animal welfare and local politicians, the whole thing is on hold now and the authorities have agreed to have Jenny evaluated by an independent dog expert before making any final decisions.

Making contact with gloves and clothes goes beyond air snapping. And most common air snapping isn't like this: these people were just walking past, not engaging with her. This dog sounds a lot like a reactive dog I worked with a year or so ago at the shelter. She ended up biting a volunteer who was walking past her (deep puncture in calf) and was euthanized posthaste.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Day six since neutering. Dog is freaking out and wants to run all over the place. He won't stop jumping on us.

pls send help

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
Can puppies have antlers? Are bully sticks safe for him or will they splinter and possibly mess him up? He is just over 5 months old

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Can puppies have antlers?

I didn't know you could crossbreed dogs and deer :)

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
The fact of the matter is the dog has bitten people repeatedly and totally unprovoked. The fosters are just handwaving it away by calling it "snapping" and blaming the guy for having the audacity to wave his arms while walking. Multiple training classes were offered to them but they instead chose to do unstructured hang out time and "outdoor adventures" which is a real good indication your friends don't know what they're doing. It's mind blowing to me that the only thing that pushed them towards thinking Jenny needed formal training was that SAS declared her dangerous.

Someone experienced with behavior modification training could probably help Jenny but your friend is very clearly not and this likely will end in tears. These kinds of dogs suck time, effort and resources that could be much better spend on helping dogs who have an actual chance of being adopted and it's both sad and frustrating to see rescues get so caught up in their emotions that they can't accept reality.

Euth basically.

Can puppies have antlers? Are bully sticks safe for him or will they splinter and possibly mess him up? He is just over 5 months old

Bully sticks are fine, antlers might be a little hard for him especially if he's still teething

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Antlers were fine for us. Make sure they're fresh and not split down the middle to avoid splinters. Supervise them at first. Some dogs seem to want to rip the antler apart, they'll get splinters. My dog is happy just gnawing them. I started him on them really young because I wanted to train him to find them in the woods.

All growed up

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Engineer Lenk posted:

Making contact with gloves and clothes goes beyond air snapping. And most common air snapping isn't like this: these people were just walking past, not engaging with her. This dog sounds a lot like a reactive dog I worked with a year or so ago at the shelter. She ended up biting a volunteer who was walking past her (deep puncture in calf) and was euthanized posthaste.

If she is deemed a liability by the neutral expert they're having evalute her, she will be put down. However my friend feels that the shelter was too quick to have her put down based on those two incidents.

He is obviously very fond of her and that probably clouds his judgement a bit, but in my opinion asking for a fair evaluation of her is the least any responsible owner would do in their situation.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jul 23, 2015

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Ehud posted:

Day six since neutering. Dog is freaking out and wants to run all over the place. He won't stop jumping on us.

pls send help

I went through this 6 weeks ago...cost us 3 plants and the corner of the sofa.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Dyna Soar posted:

If she is deemed a liability by the neutral expert they're having evalute her, she will be put down. However my friend feels that the shelter was too quick to have her put down based on those two incidents.

He is obviously very fond of her and that probably clouds his judgement a bit, but in my opinion asking for a fair evaluation of her is the least any responsible owner would do in their situation.

If he's the owner, sure. But part of fostering is accepting that the shelter has the responsibility and ultimate decision for the disposition of the dog. Some of the rescues I've worked with have zero tolerance on aggressive behavior - it's not because every dog that acts aggressively is beyond the pale, but because they used to do more rehab and then a dog came through that later bit someone/killed another pet/etc. They've decided that the risk isn't worth it, and the amount of resources that go into the behavior modification cases is much higher than behaviorally normal dogs that they'd turn away for space. Publicly shaming them into going back on their policy and dumping a lot of money into this dog really doesn't seem like something worth advocating.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Engineer Lenk posted:

If he's the owner, sure. But part of fostering is accepting that the shelter has the responsibility and ultimate decision for the disposition of the dog. Some of the rescues I've worked with have zero tolerance on aggressive behavior - it's not because every dog that acts aggressively is beyond the pale, but because they used to do more rehab and then a dog came through that later bit someone/killed another pet/etc. They've decided that the risk isn't worth it, and the amount of resources that go into the behavior modification cases is much higher than behaviorally normal dogs that they'd turn away for space. Publicly shaming them into going back on their policy and dumping a lot of money into this dog really doesn't seem like something worth advocating.

You obviously know what you're talking about and I won't argue with you any further. However sometimes existing policies need to be reassessed and sometimes civil disobedience is the way to make that happen. I hope everything works out well for Jenny.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Dyna Soar posted:

You obviously know what you're talking about and I won't argue with you any further. However sometimes existing policies need to be reassessed and sometimes civil disobedience is the way to make that happen. I hope everything works out well for Jenny.

Don't be a jerk. They openly admit to not doing any structured training, even when it's been offered for free. If anything, they're to blame, not the rescue.

DoYouHasaRabbit
Oct 8, 2007
So my girlfriend and I got an Australian Shepherd puppy named Indy a while back and he's about 6 months old. We also have a hound/lab mix named Moses who's going to be 3 years old soon. Moses got along fine with Indy until Indy was as big as him. Indy likes tugging and bitting on Moses collar/neck. It's not violet or anything but Moses doesn't like it and will try to run away or hide from Indy because he doesn't want to play or just doesn't want to do anything with him. Moses is super chill and gets along with almost every dog. Moses will sometimes growl/bark and tell Indy to back off but a lot of the times he doesn't and tries to hide near me so he can't get attacked. I'm hoping this behavior dies down as Indy gets older but Moses doesn't seem too happy these days. For some reason he sometimes even sleeps in his old crate where Indy sleeps now which is really really weird since Moses has been sleeping out of his crate for almost 2 years now. Just looking for some insight if anyone's been in a similar situation with puppies and older dogs.

I know Australian Shepherds need a job etc. and are super smart but need a lot of attention

We take Indy to classes, playtimes with other dogs, a park nearby to run his energy out and everything, hoping this will calm him down so he doesn't try to play with Moses 24/7. Also Indy loves loves loves biting his neck/collar and sometimes his tail which again Moses doesn't like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I got Worf a bully stick since y'all keep saying how great they are. After 30 minutes, it was gone.

Also, you didn't mention it was a bull dilz. His mouth smells like the barn on the breeding farm I used to live on.