Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

fullroundaction posted:

I've got a stupid theory question (probably). Started playing a progression while just screwing around that sounded like While My Guitar Gently Weeps. So I looked it up and, like every song I've been learning recently, tried to place what key it's in. But I got kind of stumped.

Several sources (including Wikipedia) claim the song is in A Minor, but even in just the intro there's a couple chords (D, E) that aren't in A Minor

Here's the tab: http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/b/beatles/while_my_guitar_gently_weeps_ver3_tab.htm

So is it actually in A Minor with just a laundry list of caveats or am I getting bad information about its key from the internet? For the sake of this conversation I'm not concerned with the slash chords so much as that D and E.

And the chorus is clearly in A Major/F# Minor so I'm not sure where the "song is in A Minor" blanket statement comes from, but I'm not worried about that.

I'd say the chorus is in A major and the rest is in A minor, and leave it at that, but I don't understand why D and E wouldn't be found in A minor. Anyway, that's how I'd play lead or bass on it: chorus in major, rest in minor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Gorgar posted:

I'd say the chorus is in A major and the rest is in A minor, and leave it at that, but I don't understand why D and E wouldn't be found in A minor. Anyway, that's how I'd play lead or bass on it: chorus in major, rest in minor.

Because when you look at any list of "chords in A Minor" E and D are not on the list? I'm not being sarcastic that's my reason for being confused.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

fullroundaction posted:

Because when you look at any list of "chords in A Minor" E and D are not on the list? I'm not being sarcastic that's my reason for being confused.

Those are some rules. Folk, blues, and rock don't necessarily follow them. Songs I consider to be in a particular minor key will more often have major chords for the IV and V. As far as I can tell, most of this stuff was more composed by loving around with something that sounds good than by deciding on a key and choosing chords based on that.

House of the Rising Sun works the same way. Starts with an A minor, all the Ds are major, Es are major or E7, A minor lead sounds good over it. That's probably what they are trying to tell you by saying the song is in A minor.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I hate you and I hate music theory.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

tehsid posted:

Yeah. This is what I've been doing and its worked a treat so far. Once the stand comes, I'll be chucking it next to the telly for sure.

Yeah it's pretty much the best way. There's a bunch of things to build finger strength that you can buy but the best way is to just play the thing. I actually mostly keep my guitars in a different room for space reasons (aka I have three normals and a bass, plus the relevant amps and some effects pedals for the guitars) but I usually go grab one and then dick around with it and watch Netflix. I pretty much only play in the room I keep them in at reasonable being loud hours. Sometimes I sit there and play quietly if my dog decides that's the room she wants to be in but otherwise ehhh.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I have guitars in a couple of rooms, it's true, put them where you can't ignore them and you play them!
I'm currently on a Riff A Day Campaign, I am learning a song / riff a day, it's fun. Today was Interstate Love Song by Stone Temple Pilots - Just the main riffs and chords.
Stuff like that helps me keep getting better, light, no pressure stuff that is fun. Exercises kill my enjoyment a little.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

peter gabriel posted:

I have guitars in a couple of rooms, it's true, put them where you can't ignore them and you play them!
I'm currently on a Riff A Day Campaign, I am learning a song / riff a day, it's fun. Today was Interstate Love Song by Stone Temple Pilots - Just the main riffs and chords.
Stuff like that helps me keep getting better, light, no pressure stuff that is fun. Exercises kill my enjoyment a little.

I want to get back into doing this too. It's one of the best ways to expose yourself to new material you wouldn't have learned otherwise.

Some of my more recent fun riffs have been:

Pretty much all of "Cities on Flame with Rock and Roll" by BOC

"Peace Train" by Cat Stevens

"gently caress You" by Smashing Pumpkins (used to rock this all the time when it came out but had to relearn it. So much stupid fun)

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

peter gabriel posted:

I've discovered that this is pretty much the only way I can remain motivated. Most recently I've taught myself the simple yet delightful riff to Bryan Ferry's Soldier of Fortune. Johnny Marr owns!

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I'm fumbling through Tango to Evora. It's pretty different than anything else I've done so it feels weird but :v: it's fun. There's a lot of little flairs I need to do with my right hand to get the notes to sound correct.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
What I tend to find is this...

Learn a riff or so that I love, for example, yesterdays was this, now I think this is one of the best of the grungey era guitar pieces (personal preference yada yada):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjJL9DGU7Gg

It's just got so much going on in a simple and effective way, learning this is fun and hey, now I can play it!

Now, what I usually do at this point is let that piece of music ask ME the questions that I can then go ahead and answer using theory if I want to.

What scales are in there? The progression starts with a minor C and that gives it it's melancholy vibe, then it bursts into major which gives it a lift.

The main riff, where is it played, well, it's kind of just a traditional D shape played a couple of steps down with a bend here or there, so that's sweet, what else can you do with that? Where would I take it if I was writing it?

Where else can I play the whole song on the fretboard? Can I totally not play it the same but have it sounding recognisable?

These are the ways I personally like to use theory, it keeps it fun to me and that's all I really care about.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...

peter gabriel posted:

Just looked that up on the back of this post and man that verse has some gnarly chords. Curse those obscenely talented DeLeos

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Learning Carcassi's Opus 60 No. 7. It's a lot of fun for a classical piece! I found the tab on classtab too, I guess that makes me a hypocrite since I just complained about how archaic some of the songs there looked notated in tab.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

peter gabriel posted:

Now, what I usually do at this point is let that piece of music ask ME the questions that I can then go ahead and answer using theory if I want to.

What scales are in there? The progression starts with a minor C and that gives it it's melancholy vibe, then it bursts into major which gives it a lift.

My favorite thing is when I find a chord voicing I'm unfamiliar with and try to put myself in the artist's shoes. Why do it that way? Was it for convenience in playing, the sound quality, does it mix better with effects, etc.

TardedPanda
Jan 5, 2013
I'm seriously looking to get in on a Jaguar. It has to be one of my favorite looking guitars and every one that I've played around on has been a blast to use. The problem is I am married with 3 teenage kids and that poo poo is expensive. How much will I be hurting myself if I decide to get a cheaper Squire Jag instead of a full on Fender? I know how to replace electronics and pickups. I can do pretty good on small truss rod settings and intonation corrections as well so I'm pretty comfortable in my ability to get it set up good if I go the Squire route. Any input would be awesome.

To round this all off here is a shameless brag picture of my babies

My wife scored that BC Rich in a pawn shop for $150. Still sells for over $300 in my local music store. It's Mockingbird Signature. Plays like a dream. Has pretty heavy neck dive though.

The Jackson I bought on a whim then traded for a Strat that is supposedly signed by the members of Chicago. I haven't researched that since I have no idea where to start. The Strat looks good though and I enjoy playing it.

That El Fakeo SG is labeled as a Miller on the headstock. My brother gave it to me. I had to completely redo the wiring, shim the neck way at the base, and spend almost 2 hours loving with intonation. All in all it's a fun junker to bash on.

I traded a cheap keyboard for that Ibanez acoustic. I feel like a stole it. It looks and plays well. Sounds really good. The preamp is shot so no go there.

The other acoustic is a Fender. I don't play it as often as the Ibanez. I think it usually spends more time with my daughter playing it because the old Alverez I gave her is really bulky.

The 2 effects pedals are a Digitech RP255 and what is basically an older version of a RP355.

The amp is a PoS RadioShack amp and I feel guilty for bringing it up. I plan to build my own tube amp "One Day" from AX84.com

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

You could get a jaguar but honestly you should get a new amp. If you're ashamed of your cheapo amp you can for about the same price as the Jag go hit up a nice little Blackstar or one of the Yamaha THR10 modelling amps. Maybe even a used something from a local store (which is what I did). It'd be a fair bit cheaper than building one of the kits that site has, since for those you still need to somehow come up with a cabinet and speaker. There's probably tons of directions on how to build your own cabinet from planks but a good speaker is never cheap. :v:

Jags are fun and all but a nice amp is when you start really feeling it.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
The Squier Jags are pretty good, offsetguitars.com usually has a few good words for them and are decent quality for the price. It won't be as great as a MIA or a MIJ, but it'll get you the look and feel of a Jag without emptying your wallet. If I didn't already have a Jazzmaster I would pull the trigger on one.

^^^This, a good guitar will never sound great through a lovely amp. If you can't drop the dough for even one of those, keep an eye out for a Roland Cube or Fender Mustang. Those two lines are very good sounding amps that are also two of the most popular amps on the market; which means that they tend to be found used very easily and usually for cheap.

Adeline Weishaupt fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jul 22, 2015

TardedPanda
Jan 5, 2013
Deep down inside I knew a new amp would be the correct thing to do but you know how the "GET A NEW GUITAR" feeling can be.

Looks like the Jag will have to wait a bit longer. I'll be amp shopping this payday! I'll tell the wife the internet told me to get one.

Consider yourself blamed.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Just wait until you need pedals, and then a pedalboard, complete with a power supply, then

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
lovely software amp modeling for life, yo.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

TardedPanda posted:

I'm seriously looking to get in on a Jaguar...

I am a real offset nerd and own a Jag etc, they are great guitars but have quirks.

If you want to know anything ask and I'll probably know, but if you want a cheap, great way into the offset world then this is a top place to start:

http://www.woodbrass.com/en/guitare...CFQ3ItAodh0YCSA

It does everything a Jag does but has better stock pickups than the equivalent Japanese Jag (imo), good woody bits and well made.

peter gabriel fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jul 22, 2015

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Still love my POD 2.0 hooked directly into a studio monitor, it's not like anyone actually has a housing situation that lets them turn up an amp loud

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Attenuators, speaker isolation cabinets, basements, etc.

Am I the only old around here that still prefers the sound of big tube amps? I was in a band for a while with a guy who used a pod for years and flirted with lunchbox amps, but he always sounded better to me just going through an old Bassman or something.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

A lot of guitarists prefer big tube amps when they can actually use them. Practicing in an apartment building or a house you share with someone is different though because you also need to be considerate. Hence the fairly large number of 1-5 watt tube combos out there.

For really quiet practice I use my old rear end line6 guitar port which oddly enough is compatible with amplitube 3.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I practice using a 60 watt valve amp ha ha.
Turn the power amp section down and it's all good though, Before I got it I had my mind made up that I would need a 5 watt for home use, but it turns out I really don't.

I think there's a place for whatever works and these days we are lucky to be able to choose as we wish, it's great.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I've got another classical guitar question for you guys. My plan is to own a long lasting instrument around the $1,500 range sometime. I would love to start out on a quality solid wood instrument and planned to quickly but I'm thinking of holding off and building up side money while I instead learn on something cheap around $150 like the Yamaha C40. Is this a stupid idea? If I was brand new to guitar it would make perfect sense but the reality is I have an overly good feel for quality and I'm afraid starting out cheap may diminish my drive to practice. Like why not grab my PRS and fart out riffs instead of plinking on my cheap nylon vs owning a beautiful nuanced classical guitar that feels rewarding after every note.

I don't know, I'd just like an outside perspective. Also I'm not necessarily worried about dropping cash on a nice classical and ending up not sticking with it. It could happen but I wouldn't mind having having a nice nylon around regardless.

Gorgar posted:

Attenuators, speaker isolation cabinets, basements, etc.

Am I the only old around here that still prefers the sound of big tube amps? I was in a band for a while with a guy who used a pod for years and flirted with lunchbox amps, but he always sounded better to me just going through an old Bassman or something.

I agree 100%. I love my THR amp and can appreciate modeling software/hardware but it never sounds right to me and after a while playing it I find myself so bored and underwhelmed. Plugging into a real tube amp brings back all the excitement to playing electric. It feels so right. The funny thing is that I almost always play at bedroom volumes and I have no "gotta be old school at all costs!" mentality. It's what my hands and ears enjoy. Less is more for me lately.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

Kilometers Davis posted:

My plan is to own a long lasting instrument around the $1,500 range sometime.

I am a solid believer in only spending that much if you're going to make the costs back playing. Otherwise, a third of the price should be more than ample to avoid the low end crap while still ending up with a great hobby grade instrument that can handle a gig or two.

I'm just cheap though, and not good enough to make money playing v:shobon:v

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Kilometers Davis posted:

I've got another classical guitar question for you guys. My plan is to own a long lasting instrument around the $1,500 range sometime. I would love to start out on a quality solid wood instrument and planned to quickly but I'm thinking of holding off and building up side money while I instead learn on something cheap around $150 like the Yamaha C40. Is this a stupid idea? If I was brand new to guitar it would make perfect sense but the reality is I have an overly good feel for quality and I'm afraid starting out cheap may diminish my drive to practice. Like why not grab my PRS and fart out riffs instead of plinking on my cheap nylon vs owning a beautiful nuanced classical guitar that feels rewarding after every note.

I don't know, I'd just like an outside perspective. Also I'm not necessarily worried about dropping cash on a nice classical and ending up not sticking with it. It could happen but I wouldn't mind having having a nice nylon around regardless.

If you buy it used, you wouldn't lose that much if you decided to trade it in later. One of the best things that ever happened to me (guitar-wise) was being jobless for a while and having to get rid of all the cheap stuff I'd built up in the beginning. I strongly believe in buying quality used gear unless there's some feature only available on brand new ones that you really want. Cheap lovely gear makes me waste time compensating for it to get it to sound right. Good quality gear inspires me to play and find out what I can do that's worthy of the instrument. Other people are proud of what they can do with cheap stuff, and that's cool and they're usually much better players than I am.

quote:

I agree 100%. I love my THR amp and can appreciate modeling software/hardware but it never sounds right to me and after a while playing it I find myself so bored and underwhelmed. Plugging into a real tube amp brings back all the excitement to playing electric. It feels so right. The funny thing is that I almost always play at bedroom volumes and I have no "gotta be old school at all costs!" mentality. It's what my hands and ears enjoy. Less is more for me lately.

I haven't played much in the past year, but the things that are trying to nag me back are a Marshall JMP and a Laney AOR. It's not really the sound of now, but those are the noises I miss making. I have modern Oranges and an Engl with really complicated preamps, but at heart I just want a treble booster and/or fuzz into some EL34s.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Does anybody have a good list of intermediate classical songs to learn? I'm finding that I really enjoy playing the style of music since its complex and relaxing, where I can play it on a bench and really keep myself intellectually stimulated without necessarily disturbing other nearby people.

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

NTT posted:

Does anybody have a good list of intermediate classical songs to learn? I'm finding that I really enjoy playing the style of music since its complex and relaxing, where I can play it on a bench and really keep myself intellectually stimulated without necessarily disturbing other nearby people.

http://www.amazon.com/Progressive-Solos-Classical-Guitar-Thirty-Nine/dp/0895247429/ref=pd_bxgy_14_text_y

Bolt's arrangements are fantastic.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

pointlessone posted:

I am a solid believer in only spending that much if you're going to make the costs back playing. Otherwise, a third of the price should be more than ample to avoid the low end crap while still ending up with a great hobby grade instrument that can handle a gig or two.

I'm just cheap though, and not good enough to make money playing v:shobon:v

This! I'm not a professional but I've gotten pretty sick at guitar in the last few months (I can play fairly complex songs and sing now, I feel like such a loving god sometimes, especially since guitar kicked my rear end in hs) and this is all on my $400 seagull acoustic. I love the sound of the instrument and don't see myself outgrowing it any time soon. All of my friends love it as well.

I think instruments hit diminishing returns pretty quickly past a certain point. If you really want to get an expensive, high end instrument, hey more power to you! Skill is skill though and even an ok guitar sounds fantastic in the right hands.

I have made money playing in bands before and yeah most of us use pretty basic gear because a) who wants to take a nice instrument to a gig w/ drunk people and other poo poo head musicians and b) gen pop could give a poo poo about how nice your gear is.

E: I just noticed the poster is new to guitar. That's awesome that you want to get into the instrument, you're gonna love it! Definitely don't spend a grand on an acoustic though.

E: E: Nm going back to read the post I'm not sure where you are on experience but as far as getting a good sound and trying to actively avoid crappy guitars goes, 1k+ is overkill imo.

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jul 23, 2015

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I still maintain that my $150 rondo RG copy was my favorite guitar because I didn't give a gently caress what happened to it. I gave it away to a friend when I moved so he could know the joy of a beater guitar set up to play At the Gates and Entombed songs

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
The only thing that matters about a guitar is whether it makes you want to pick it up and play, that's it - this could be done by a £90 shitter or a £3000 Paul Reed Smith, that part doesn't matter.

My crabby old Mustang does this for me, it's here next to me now.

In other news, Telecaster build...

Had a wiring harness made with a Varitone system in it:

That should give me some interesting tone options, it's also got out of phase settings if you pull the knobs up, and I love pulling my knob up I tell you what

peter gabriel fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jul 23, 2015

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

peter gabriel posted:

The only thing that matters about a guitar is whether it makes you want to pick it up and play, that's it - this could be done by a £90 shitter or a £3000 Paul Reed Smith, that part doesn't matter.

Good point. Practicing and playing isn't really a chore when you legit enjoy the instrument you're using.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Is following the Justin Guitar site a good way to learn how to play without an instructor? I recently picked up an Epiphone LP Special to start learning a new hobby.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Drythe posted:

Is following the Justin Guitar site a good way to learn how to play without an instructor? I recently picked up an Epiphone LP Special to start learning a new hobby.

Also Rocksmith.

Play a video game while it teaches you guitar.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Does Rocksmith actually do a good job at that?

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

Drythe posted:

Does Rocksmith actually do a good job at that?

It does nothing for theory or actual composition, but for conditioning and making callouses it's top rate. It's vastly more fun to play some Foo Fighters or The Ramones than endless scales that you'd give up the instrument because they're so boring. Session mode isn't bad for jamming out with a semi-adaptive backing track, although I never really figured out how it works.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
My personal recommendation is Center Stage Guitar Academy. It's like $15 a year (look for the groupon) and will take you from tuning the guitar all the way through pretty hardcore theory, and each section is set to practical examples from popular music. I went in as an intermediate guitarist and learned a bunch of really important things that I didn't pick up in my almost 20 years of self-taught playing.

I think Rocksmith is not a good recommendation for brand new guitarists but that's just my opinion. I think it would be way too overwhelming and create situations where the user will just give up because the software itself isn't even that great.

Justin Guitar is pretty good but the guy himself is so loving annoying I refuse to watch his stuff unless he's got something that happens to be exactly what I want at the time.

fullroundaction fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jul 23, 2015

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

pointlessone posted:

It does nothing for theory or actual composition, but for conditioning and making callouses it's top rate. It's vastly more fun to play some Foo Fighters or The Ramones than endless scales that you'd give up the instrument because they're so boring. Session mode isn't bad for jamming out with a semi-adaptive backing track, although I never really figured out how it works.

This is a total honest review about what Rocksmith is and what it's limitations are.

It's not great for things like scales, the "technical" stuff like hammer-ons and pull offs will teach the basics of those techniques, but if you want to just play some music you like (and is available for download) it beats the gently caress out of looking up the tabs since it's interactive and provides you a backing track.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
It sounds great, I am going to buy it on Steam, there is a song importer as well, is this worth buying / does it work?