Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Shadeoses posted:

I was this close to making the Australian culture Mad Max style crazies but decided to make them relatively normal Aborigines.

I am very disappointed.

Also, now that I think about it, the Warboys are rust cultists, if anything. The name of their religion is actually the cult of V8, with the machines themselves being their chariots to valhalla.

It's just a shame that in the timeframe of the game all the cars are long broken/there is no way anyone is getting fuel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Is there any cure for the HRE just becoming a unified blob within two emperors as the CA goes up to medium, locking me and my three-province duchy out of expansion options beyond the long-term marrying for inheritances? It seems to me like the HRE shouldn't just be able to declare king's peace that easily.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Intrigue until a couple powerful vassals are mad at the emperor then form a faction to reduce crown authority?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Moridin920 posted:

Intrigue until a couple powerful vassals are mad at the emperor then form a faction to reduce crown authority?

I guess I can try - though the Emperor seems really intent on stomping on my face whenever I start factioning (currently on another break from factioning because he forced me out of the Reduce CA faction), and looking over the realm, he's really popular, to the point of being at 100 relations with the five most powerful vassals that aren't me. This might take a while.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

TjyvTompa posted:

Hi, it's me again, last questions:
How do you send out your kids as mercenaries/adventurers, I can't find the option?
It's an option when you right-click on them.

quote:

And regarding your previous post about having no feudal vassals, did you just hold on to all the baronies you got from invasions and repeatedly pillaged them until they were all destroyed? Don't you get big maluses from holding on to them? And what about cities and churches, you held on to them too to pillage?
You hold on to everything. They don't provide you any meaningful money or troops while you hold them, but they also don't hurt you any, either. The only thing you have to worry about is the overall number of provinces you hold, giving some away to other clans if you have too many so that you don't have to deal with minor clan uprisings.

Aschlafly posted:

There's also a small chance they will marry a Greek woman matrilineally...
I don't think that's true...there's an event for the byzantine emperor where one of his daughters may (want to) matrilineally marry a Varangian, but from what I recall, the character there is generated for the purpose, not actually taken from the Varangian court.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jul 23, 2015

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Man, somebody had a bad year. I appointed this guy, my second-born son, Steward, and he proceeded to steal from me about a month later, but I still kept him around because his skill was good. Then I got a random "tumble" event that just happened to be his wife, so I figured, sure, why not, let's gently caress the guy's wife as retaliation, that's a lot more interesting a punishment than throwing him into the dungeons. He finds out and makes my character a rival.

That was a mistake. I dueled him and maimed him for good measure. Had a chance to kill him off, but decided against it because Kinslayer is a bitch to deal with. Then, the idiot got his plot to kill my first-born son, an all-around better guy and current heir, revealed, so I threw him into the dungeon and then the Oubliette. He then went insane and died soon after.

As an aside, how does coercing somebody into a faction work? I got the event to fire for the king of Bavaria, but all he said was "he would join should the need arise" or something. He's not in the faction, and if he means that he would join if the faction fires, then that's not exactly helping, since I'm not the one leading it.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

TheMcD posted:

As an aside, how does coercing somebody into a faction work? I got the event to fire for the king of Bavaria, but all he said was "he would join should the need arise" or something. He's not in the faction, and if he means that he would join if the faction fires, then that's not exactly helping, since I'm not the one leading it.
Coercion into factions is pretty weak, because it mostly doesn't override the things that would normally prevent them from joining factions, such as liking the liege too much.

...actually, what the hell. It looks like that was somewhat adjusted - membership weight for the claimant faction now has
code:
		modifier = {
			factor = 0
			opinion = { who = LIEGE value = 50 }
			NOT = {	
				has_opinion_modifier = {
					who = FROM
					modifier = opinion_coerced_into_joining_faction
				}
			}
		}
so even if the coerced person likes the liege at 50 or better, they can still join! Except a little later, there's

code:
		modifier = {
			factor = 0
			opinion = { who = LIEGE value = 25 }
		}
So if they like the liege at 25 or better, they absolutely will not join the faction, regardless of whether they're coerced or not. Entirely overriding the above.

Also, interestingly, people are much more likely to support a sayyid claimant against a non-sayyid ruler, even if they aren't muslim.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

TheMcD posted:

I guess I can try - though the Emperor seems really intent on stomping on my face whenever I start factioning (currently on another break from factioning because he forced me out of the Reduce CA faction), and looking over the realm, he's really popular, to the point of being at 100 relations with the five most powerful vassals that aren't me. This might take a while.

Yeah, the most annoying thing about playing as a vassal is every single time I attempt to start or join a faction, within two years tops I get forced out of factioning--and it lasts for the rest of that character's life. All I can really do is keep an eye on existing factions and maybe join one if it actually wants what I want and is close enough to overwhelming numbers that my joining it can put it over the top. But that's extremely limited in utility since the AI is so profoundly retarded about deciding when to present the ultimatum.

For me a vassal game is mostly about arranging marriages, plotting against my liege if I happen to be able to do that, and waiting (possibly for centuries) for a good opportunity to gain independence during a huge revolt or somesuch. It's a very different way to play because you can go decades or centuries without fighting any serious wars due to medium crown authority.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yeah, the most annoying thing about playing as a vassal is every single time I attempt to start or join a faction, within two years tops I get forced out of factioning--and it lasts for the rest of that character's life.
? Are you certain? The code suggests that it should last ten years.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Strudel Man posted:

? Are you certain? The code suggests that it should last ten years.

Like as of two days ago I swear I was still unable to faction 20 years later. I'll go back and double check.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

This woman is a badass. But how is it a Bohemian Catholic is able to lead armies?

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Eric the Mauve posted:

This woman is a badass. But how is it a Bohemian Catholic is able to lead armies?

Do you want to tell her she can't?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Strudel Man posted:

I don't think that's true...there's an event for the byzantine emperor where one of his daughters may (want to) matrilineally marry a Varangian, but from what I recall, the character there is generated for the purpose, not actually taken from the Varangian court.

I definitely have had a son join the Varangian Guard and end up matrilineally married to a noblewoman.

TheMcD posted:

Might be time to try and stab him if he is so popular then.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

looking at her stats she isn't that badass

also, it doesn't look like she can call on many men

e; did she just lose a battle or something?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Well, I somehow managed to get the King of Bavaria into my faction, but apparently entirely of his own volition, pushing my numbers to about 250% of the Emperor's levies (since he was currently involved in a war and had taken some losses). So I push my demand, he tells me to go gently caress myself, and the war is on as an army of about twelve thousand men descends on Jülich, occasionally taking out some time to swat some imperial armies marching around. Everything's looking great, the Emperor doesn't have a lot of levies, I've occupied a few of his provinces, but my warscore isn't going up that well because of the ticking warscore going against me because I'm not controlling the entirety of the Holy Roman Empire, which apparently is a thing I should be capable of doing when revolting? So after about eight years, my warscore's only at about 50% instead of the 80% it should be, then the Emperor calls in England because he can now, then an army double my size starts marching towards mine and I white peace out.

Well, that was fun and accomplished a lot.

Moridin920 posted:

Might be time to try and stab him if he is so popular then.

I stabbed about three different Emperors, but even the Kinslayer wasn't unpopular enough for vassals to start coming to the factions.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

mythomanic posted:

Modding is fun! I gave the Normans and Norse cultures mercenaries, as well as letting Norman and Berber cultures raid.

Groogy, can you get this in the official patch?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Another Person posted:

e; did she just lose a battle or something?

Nope. She's been fighting wars for a decade-plus as I to her west and various tribals to her northeast carve up her little kingdom, and she's been leading armies the whole time.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

One problem I've noticed with nomads and factions is that they don't seem to take into account the strength of the other clans so they get crushed far more easily than they should. In general I kinda feel like the other clans should be less willing to answer a call to arms for an internal war unless they're blood brothers with yours. It'd make succession in Khaganates more interesting while still allowing them to be powerful once someone successfully keeps the reigns.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Yeah, clan internal factions almost never pose a risk to the player. One or two khans is not enough to stop a player. Hell, I somehow even send them packing on my own, without even calling in the clan dogpile.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

So I've done an Ireland 1066 start and wanna try something more. Where is a good area to start in Byzantium in 867? What are some basic things I should remember? I have all DLC.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've heard good and bad things about Byzantium but Amalfi seems pro

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

I can confirm, Amalfi is my absolute favorite republic start.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Moridin920 posted:

I definitely have had a son join the Varangian Guard and end up matrilineally married to a noblewoman.
Hm, you're right. I must have been misremembering. The varangian outcomes are:

Stay in the Byzantine Empire with a generated, matri-married Greek wife, of the Emperor's religion
Return 'Scarred but seasoned' - scarred trait, increase of 4 to martial
Return with 'notions of greek love' - becomes homosexual
Return castrated and blinded
Return as excellent strategist - only available if martial education less than level 4. Increases level to 3, or to 4 if they were already at 3, and gets 2 more base martial besides.
Return with PTSD - stressed and depressed
Return with generated Greek Orthodox wife - can only happen if the Emperor is greek orthodox.
Return as Christian zealot - becomes zealous orthodox. Can only happen if the Emperor is orthodox.
Return as seasoned warrior - gain brave and 2 base martial
Die in battle
Return with loot - father gains 300 wealth
Father dies first - heir comes back with varangian trait and 200 prestige and wealth.

The event I was thinking of for the Byzantine emperor does generate a varangian for one of his daughters to marry...interesting, it's a player-only event. Also, it generates a Swedish character, and since it isn't time-limited, it can apparently do so before Swedish actually emerges as a culture.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jul 23, 2015

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Also, having tested it, my game crashes within about 30 seconds of opening. Any ideas?

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

LowellDND posted:

Also, having tested it, my game crashes within about 30 seconds of opening. Any ideas?

Turn off any old mods you have running. Otherwise verify the game files

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Yashichi posted:

Turn off any old mods you have running. Otherwise verify the game files

Ah, that did it.

So I'm working on doing some light mods to the text files - women available for all council positions, women can inherit titles etc. I had it set up on an older game, but the massive amount of brackets in the files now is throwing me off. Anyone able to help me out?

edit: Got it.

Loel fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jul 23, 2015

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So in one of my games, I took over Britannia, southern France, Italy, Jerusalem, and the Byzantine Empire through the power of Holy War, Crusades and generating claims for my kids. My Fraticelli empire has kicked Catholicism down to a heresy... Except the Pope still calls crusades for Italy every 30 years. How can I stop him from doing this. On an alternative note, is it possible to mod no-head religions to call them somehow? It would be cool IMO if like, the strongest Cathar realm's court chaplain gets to fire crusades for the Cathar faithful or whatever.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
So running a new nomad game to try some stuff out and my Khan died before his heir was of age. In previous experience this means that the Khanate goes to another clan leader... except this time the Khanate totally breaks apart and every clan becomes independent.

I'm left wondering why? There were no independence factions when my ruler died, so I really don't get it.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

mythomanic posted:

I took my first stab at modding, and yeah, it's really easy to allow nomads different gender laws. You can also allow women to form mercenary companies, which is neat.

Modding is fun! I gave the Normans and Norse cultures mercenaries, as well as letting Norman and Berber cultures raid.

Quick question, how did you do that? Ive made feudal states allow absolute cognatic, and women can be on the council, but those things sound really interesting :D

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Eric the Mauve posted:

All female rulers can lead their own armies since 2.4, made a lot of people angry because of reason: "We are going to see female commanders fuckin everywhere! Damned SJW's ruining our game!"
Congrats you're the first person that have actually seen a Female army leader without player involvement (and I even include QA + Beta's in that and I haven't seen anyone point it out anywhere else)

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Groogy posted:

All female rulers can lead their own armies since 2.4, made a lot of people angry because of reason: "We are going to see female commanders fuckin everywhere! Damned SJW's ruining our game!"
Congrats you're the first person that have actually seen a Female army leader without player involvement (and I even include QA + Beta's in that and I haven't seen anyone point it out anywhere else)

I think it's cool. Women with martial educations are super common so it's nice they can end up commanders in non-Cathar realms now. BT dubbs do you know if there's any chance some more of the heresies besides Fraticelli, Cathar, and Messalian will get cool features. I guess Yazidi has exocommunication but whatever. Hardly anyone uses that anyway.

Larry Parrish fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jul 23, 2015

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Goddamn it pillaging is a tedious process. Two clicks every six months for every two upgrades in a holding, repeated for every holding in every province you want to pillage into grassland. And I can't even trust the automatic reminder because it uses the same alert as 'settle as feudal'.

My kingdom for an autopillage button. Seriously, take two. The nomad character I abandoned because pillaging my way through Indian was too tedious had five of 'em.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Larry Parrish posted:

I think it's cool. Women with martial educations are super common so it's nice they can end up commanders in non-Cathar realms now. BT dubbs do you know if there's any chance some more of the heresies besides Fraticelli, Cathar, and Messalian will get cool features. I guess Yazidi has exocommunication but whatever. Hardly anyone uses that anyway.

Yeah was what I was thinking, I always had a daughter that had like 25-30 martial and amazing traits for being a commander and I would look at her "Aaaaw poo poo why can't you replace your good-for nothing brother?" IT also will be a pretty rare occurrence so when it happens it will be like how it happened for Eric here this one bad rear end queen who carves her own Kingdom by use of Bohemian Steel. If you are looking for historical accuracy there is also basis for it, there's a big Wiki page only dedicated to listing martial commanders of the medieval ages of the fairer sex, majority of them being either Regents to sons or Rulers themselves.

With Heresies, er probably not. Nothing planned at least. Besides if we do we might open up the flood gates to Pagan demands, and that will in turn lead to Hellenism demands. I will never surrender to the Hellenists demands!

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Groogy posted:

I will never surrender to the Hellenists demands!

Thank you, Groogy.

But non-Hellenic Pagans could do with some love.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Groogy posted:

" IT also will be a pretty rare occurrence so when it happens it will be like how it happened for Eric here this one bad rear end queen who carves her own Kingdom by use of Bohemian Steel.

Unfortunately, having no allies, being a Catholic surrounded by pagan tribes and having refused an alliance with the one large Catholic kingdom she neighbored, her realm got gobbled up by her various neighbors in the space of about eight years. But she fought to the bitter end in true :black101: fashion.

mythomanic
Aug 19, 2009

LowellDND posted:

Quick question, how did you do that? Ive made feudal states allow absolute cognatic, and women can be on the council, but those things sound really interesting :D

In the laws/succession file, all the gender laws have a "is_nomadic = no" tag on them, just delete that. It'll still have the basque/messalian other requirements, but you can either get rid of those lines or add some nomadic cultures in as accepted.

For the mercenaries, it's in decisions/HL_mercenary_decisions. Again, there are just some "is_female = no" tags that need to be deleted. I'm trying to figure out how I can give the decision a martial requirement for females, so other nomads don't just send every single daughter to start a lovely merc company.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Groogy posted:

With Heresies, er probably not. Nothing planned at least. Besides if we do we might open up the flood gates to Pagan demands, and that will in turn lead to Hellenism demands. I will never surrender to the Hellenists demands!

Heresies and non-Norse pagans are in fact the parts of the game that could use the most attention! By far they seem the most haphazardly put together aspect now that almost everything else has gotten a polish since its first implementation.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

mythomanic posted:

In the laws/succession file, all the gender laws have a "is_nomadic = no" tag on them, just delete that. It'll still have the basque/messalian other requirements, but you can either get rid of those lines or add some nomadic cultures in as accepted.

For the mercenaries, it's in decisions/HL_mercenary_decisions. Again, there are just some "is_female = no" tags that need to be deleted. I'm trying to figure out how I can give the decision a martial requirement for females, so other nomads don't just send every single daughter to start a lovely merc company.

Nifty! How did you get the cultures to raid?

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Jazerus posted:

Heresies and non-Norse pagans are in fact the parts of the game that could use the most attention! By far they seem the most haphazardly put together aspect now that almost everything else has gotten a polish since its first implementation.

Got it, I'll add more stuff to the Zunbils.

e: Potential next expansion: Avengers of Justice, City of the Sun, Children of Zun

Groogy fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jul 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Groogy posted:

Got it, I'll add more stuff to the Zunbils.

I can dig it.

• Locked thread