Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.

zoux posted:

Every time I'm interested in downloading a game, I can't find it on the eshop. I was like, hmm Dragon Quest V looks fun but it doesn't have a digital download and new copies are like fifty bucks.

DS games aren't on the eshop afaik.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

zoux posted:

Every time I'm interested in downloading a game, I can't find it on the eshop. I was like, hmm Dragon Quest V looks fun but it doesn't have a digital download and new copies are like fifty bucks.

There must have been a reprint recently, cause I've seen it in a lot of Gamestops for about half that much.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

shaitan posted:

DS games aren't on the eshop afaik.

There are a scant few DS games on the WiiU eShop, however.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Detective No. 27 posted:

There must have been a reprint recently, cause I've seen it in a lot of Gamestops for about half that much.

Oh nice, gonna have to see if I can snag a copy.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Srice posted:

Oh nice, gonna have to see if I can snag a copy.

Get two and mail me one.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth is live on the New 3DS shop. Can anybody report on its quality? I love that game but it runs kinda poorly on the Vita.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Soul Glo posted:

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth is live on the New 3DS shop. Can anybody report on its quality? I love that game but it runs kinda poorly on the Vita.

I posted this in the eshop thread, but I'll cross post it here for you, even though it turns out my first impressions are actually poo poo and the game runs progressively worse and worse the further in you get:

Vegastar posted:

I swore to be the Isaac guinea pig, so I bought it and played a couple runs so far. It's not horrifically broken thus far, but it's not picture perfect. The game gets a bit choppy when there's a lot of enemy death animations happening at once for starters. Additionally, the music seems to be occasionally cutting out when moving between rooms with different songs (ie. from the main floor theme to a boss trap room, there will just be silence in the mob trap room). Finally, the room to room transition is on the slower side. Overall it's still a very functional portable version of Isaac, but missing a few polishing and optimization things. I'm probably gonna blow the next 3 hours playing some more runs, we'll see if I can break anything significantly enough to change my mind about recommending it.

Vegastar fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jul 23, 2015

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Ugh, bummer. Sounds kinda worse than the Vita version. Thanks.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Soul Glo posted:

When was the last time you played the Vita version? I remember it having a bunch of problems when it first came out, (framerate/glitched trophies) but I went back to it recently to get Real Platinum God and I think they must have patched it or something. It runs way better than I remembered.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Soul Glo posted:

EDIT: Ignore all this. Game seems to run progressively worse the further in you get. I can't recommend actually buying it without an optimization patch or something. Posting more opinions further downthread as I go through.

Vegastar fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jul 23, 2015

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

I already have the PC/PS4/Vita versions. I mainly play on the PS4. Maybe I'll see about the Vita patch, just not a big fan of those analog sticks, was wanting to try out the Circle Pad with it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

When was the last time you played the Vita version? I remember it having a bunch of problems when it first came out, (framerate/glitched trophies) but I went back to it recently to get Real Platinum God and I think they must have patched it or something. It runs way better than I remembered.

I play it regularly. It's still real bad. They can't even get all the visual effects running, it has super-noticable slowdown and the opening loading time is absurd.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I play it regularly. It's still real bad. They can't even get all the visual effects running, it has super-noticable slowdown and the opening loading time is absurd.

Maybe my eyes are broken or something

The loading time when you start the game is awful but I really thought it was running way more smoothly than before

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Alright, I just fought The Gate for the first time in this version, except his sprite never loaded. I was just shooting at empty air with a health bar. He did still die, so it didn't break the game, but drat. Also, once you actually get in to The Depths poo poo starts getting a lot framier a lot more often. The fight with Mom was loving slowdown city. Gonna take back my earlier words here; buy the PC version if you're desperate. Wait and pray there's an optimization patch in a few weeks or something if you're wanting to play on your 3DS.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
For a game that looks that simple graphically they sure have a hard time making it run on handhelds.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
How long did it take for Nicalis to patch the Wiiware version of Cave Story?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Help Im Alive posted:

The loading time when you start the game is awful but I really thought it was running way more smoothly than before

Yeah it the same way with me. Outside of the start up, the game generally runs good. There is a hair slowdown when entering big rooms, but nothing that makes me want to not even touch that version.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

Well, I also regularly play Isaac on PS4 and PC which is probably why it stands out to me more. It's certainly playable but probably the worst version. (Though 3DS may eclipse that?)

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Dr. Fetus posted:

How long did it take for Nicalis to patch the Wiiware version of Cave Story?

It took them about ten months to fix the bugs and the broken music that they refused to acknowledge was even broken until after release, even thought it had been pointed out to them for months.

Their most recent fuckup was with 1001 Spikes on Wii U - it took them eleven months to add off-tv play and the update broke all the button configs so your dude could no longer walk.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

How does Nicalis keep getting so much work

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I assume they work for candy bars.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Why is the upcoming release list so barren? Only the Zelda game maybe interests me. Is the 3DS just for anime watchers now like Vita?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Having never played Kid Icarus Uprising or used the cradle that came with it, how close of an approximation would it be to re-purpose the useless non-charging Wii U gamepad to play Uprising?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

African AIDS cum posted:

Why is the upcoming release list so barren? Only the Zelda game maybe interests me. Is the 3DS just for anime watchers now like Vita?

Be more specific.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Nate RFB posted:

Having never played Kid Icarus Uprising or used the cradle that came with it, how close of an approximation would it be to re-purpose the useless non-charging Wii U gamepad to play Uprising?

Sit on your bed, put a pillow or two in your lap, play with the 3DS in your pillow lap.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

African AIDS cum posted:

yes, normies please leave

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

death to normies

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Be more specific.

No real mainstream 1st party stuff. Niche games

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

African AIDS cum posted:

No real mainstream 1st party stuff. Niche games

Nintendo has Zelda, Animal Crossing Happy Home Designer, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon and the Chibi-Robo platformer coming this year and they're also publishing Yokai Watch which is definitely very Japanese but also something they expect to hit with mainstream audiences. There's a Direct next month and I'd be shocked if they don't mention Rhythm Heaven at the very least. Nintendo has a habit of springing announcements really close to launch, so expect to hear about at least a couple new things sometime soon.

Aside from that, yeah it's pretty much all JRPGs and/or Japanese games with a modern anime aesthetic. Big mainstream western devs never do poo poo on handhelds and most of the big classic JP publishers are withdrawing from the traditional gaming market and/or have already mothballed all their classic IPs, so it's niche JP devs and indies filling the gaps.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Nate RFB posted:

Just slip your pinky under the 3DS to hold it up. The stand actually hinders how well you can play, and I imagine the gamepad cradle would be even worse.

elf help book posted:

Sit on your bed, put a pillow or two in your lap, play with the 3DS in your pillow lap.

This works, too.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
you guys are forgetting that african aids cum is like a diet version of taint reaper

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

noirstronaut posted:

you guys are forgetting that african aids cum is like a diet version of taint reaper

uh he's a good poster I can see why this would confuse you

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

There is too many dull shitposters in this thread and the WiiU thread.
Streets of Rage 2 is however terrific.
It houses slick 3d settings that go for depth or "pop out at you".
The sfx can be changed to emulate different chipsets or somesuch.
You can even emulate a rounded edge crt that is receded into your 3ds screen warts and all. It is loving sweet.
Local coop is just the exta mile that makes what looks great and plays great a must buy.
THIS IS UNDER 10 DOLLARS BUY IT FOOLS

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Junkie Disease posted:

You can even emulate a rounded edge crt that is receded into your 3ds screen warts and all. It is loving sweet.
Local coop is just the exta mile that makes what looks great and plays great a must buy.

Fine FINE! I just bought it! Are you happy? Are you goddamn happy now?! :cripes::shepspends:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Junkie Disease posted:

Sorry, saving my bux for Gunstar Heroes, the only Genesis port that matters.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
For anyone trying to get Dragon Quest V, keep an eye on eBay. Got my copy a couple weeks ago for $20 ($23 with shipping). If you don't value time that much, you could totally snag one for less. If you're impatient, $30 seems to be the average price.

Fun game so far, and I'm just in the first town as an adult.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Or, as someone mentioned, you can just get it at Gamestop in one of those rare "actually the lowest price" moments.
http://www.gamestop.com/ds/games/dragon-quest-v-hand-of-the-heavenly-bride/73018

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Junkie Disease posted:

The alien thing from Stage 3 looks amazing in 3D.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

raditts posted:

Sorry, saving my bux for Gunstar Heroes, the only Genesis port that matters.

Holy gently caress Gunstar Heroes is coming too? I thought since SEGA was acting all "were done with 3ds super batshit good editions of classics I didn't bother to check whats in this wave.
Please tell me Golden axe 2-3, Wonderboys and somehow 3Dize Astroboy gba

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Streets of Rage 2, Gunstar Heroes and Sonic 2 are the last Sega 3D Classics, at least until they decide to restart them for the hundredth time.