Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojMZJRUQD9Y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

Ladders are very important. :eng101:

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
so i have come across this sequence in fundementals of go, in which kageyama says "if this black [5] strikes you as excellent - the only move - you have the right idea"

black 5 in this sequence does look pretty awesome, and when reading this i was like 'whaaa i can do that?' but how come i never see it? i only see A or B. its not even an option in eidogo's joseki library and i've never had it played against me that i can remember. is this very old fashioned, and what are the downsides of playing this way?

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Not sure, good question. While Black's profit looks big the corner is totally invadable, white gets a lot of outside influence and most likely Black's top middle is exposed too. Areas like Black's are almost too big for their own good at modern pro level I'd imagine

IMlemon
Dec 29, 2008

uranus posted:

so i have come across this sequence in fundementals of go, in which kageyama says "if this black [5] strikes you as excellent - the only move - you have the right idea"

black 5 in this sequence does look pretty awesome, and when reading this i was like 'whaaa i can do that?' but how come i never see it? i only see A or B. its not even an option in eidogo's joseki library and i've never had it played against me that i can remember. is this very old fashioned, and what are the downsides of playing this way?

Is this diagram correct? It would make sense if black 4-4 was actually at 3-4.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

I think it's strange for black 3 if 1 is 3-4.

IMlemon
Dec 29, 2008
One space pincer is not strange at all? Or am i missing something.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

IMlemon posted:

One space pincer is not strange at all? Or am i missing something.

I would usually think black encloses?

e: WHICH 3-4 ARE WE TALKING ABOUT

Since it is the top right corner I assumed it's the right 3-4 and not the top 3-4.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

uranus posted:

Isn't that the one that he calls the best move ever, and then a few pages later the worst move ever for a different whole board situation?

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

IMlemon posted:

Is this diagram correct? It would make sense if black 4-4 was actually at 3-4.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
maybe i copied it wrong?? i'll check tonight

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
starting to get some use out of this feature :/

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
also everyone is right and it was on the 3-4 and i'm just blind

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skkzt0Ksevg

best fuseki

Also, Dia 7 in that page you showed is a very important concept, I feel. I should pay more attention to tewari analysis.

AdorableStar fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jul 21, 2015

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Does anyone else just hate the writing style in the "So you want to play Go?" books?

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

I've tiraded about them many times. They are really, really bad books. The author is trying to emulate the amusing prose of Kageyama or Kajiwara and fails miserably. No editing. And the diagrams? Horrific. gently caress those books. In fact gently caress any book by a non pro for the most part.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
I was really excited for an e-book about Go so I could try and study at random times since I always have my kindle with me and never have my dead-tree Go books with me. I wanted to like them but the author spends more words on his "wacky fun commentary" than useful discussion of the game.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

I don't know what rank you are but for a really good, comprehensive covering of fundamentals, the Janice Kim series are really well written and laid out

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I find reading reference books as e-books very annoying.
For going for some go on the go I prefer doing problems with an sgf-viewer, or playing 9x9 against a bot.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

o.m. 94 posted:

I don't know what rank you are but for a really good, comprehensive covering of fundamentals, the Janice Kim series are really well written and laid out

I'm just a scrub tier 10k so I planned on checking out the last Kim book.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
hey we are the same rank we should play some time

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
who else plays on tygem give me your username i want to be frieeenddssssss

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

captkirk posted:

I'm just a scrub tier 10k so I planned on checking out the last Kim book.

get fundementals of go and every jim davies book, but especially attack and defense.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

I recommend everyone eventually buy Invincible: The games of Shusaku.

I just love all the little history bits and stories aside to the games.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
anyone who plays on tygem, whats the trick to changing your avatar? i try to upload a picture and nothing happens. its jpg. it has no strange characters in the name. i resized it to match the avatar dimensions. is there a crazy small size limit?

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
I got one of my Goon Le4gue games reviewed by Clossius. He says that as a 4-dan he's not strong enough to review properly for 3-kyū such as me, but I don't care about that as long as he finds some mistakes and missed opportunities he can criticize. Here's my writeup after watching the review.

dodofish is Black and I'm White. I think dodofish is one of the pubbies who got into the league by mistake, but he seems like a cool guy. We agreed to play a live game to decide our match, instead of correspondence. He's rated 3k in correspondence and 1k in live games.

Clossius says W 6 at A became popular due to the opening in the second diagram being considered good for Black.

W 8 at B is normal. Immediately after I played 8, I thought it was bad because it induced Black to play at 9 and get a big corner (W 8 is more normal against the small knight enclosure). But Clossius says it's not terrible, but that W 10 should be at B, possibly after exchanging W C, B D. As I played it, W 10 was the real stinker, creating a major weakness at A.

B 25 is great; White's side or corner will be destroyed. Clossius suggests that W 24, which I played automatically, maybe should've been a larger-scale move, at A or B.

B 35 was big. W 34 should've been at A.
Black is ahead. (If a player has four corners, the weaker player (me) should resign??)

W 44 was the wrong direction, and should've been at A.
W 48 should've been at B.
W 52 missed the opportunity to attack severely, as in the second diagram.

B 55 at 62.
Starting with B 55, Black played a combination to connect out. Disaster for White. Clossius says Black's lead is insurmountable.

B 99 was a mistake, but White failed to punish by cutting with W 100 at 101.
W 102 was a mistake, but Black failed to punish by cutting at 104 to wreck White's top group.
W 104 was a mistake; Black can invade at A, punishing White for W 10 at the beginning of the game, and White can't save both sides (Black would be happy to trade his four stones in the center for White's two in the upper left).

B 105 to save Black's four stones induces W 106 to fix, and when the dust settles, the game is suddenly even.
(Look how many low-value moves Black had to play in the center!)

After this, both players made many endgame mistakes. Black gave White a lead, then White gave it back to Black.

B+Res.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
so much of why i suck at go is psychological instead of actual skill, i think. if i can just be restrained and calm i win way more. how is a way to practice this, though? ? ?

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
Have some green tea beside you and force yourself to take a sip between moves. Or take some Ritalin, I dunno. Just consciously think about taking your time with almost every move.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

I would try cocaine.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

If hestler is any indication, adderall is the key

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
I'm on a 7 game winning streak and it's freakin me out!

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

I offered avalanche but Black declined. Any opinions on this sequence? (comparison with Kogo's)

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
I feel like 10 at 12 is better?

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Please correct me if I'm wrong but the entire sequence is a folly? It's hard to give an appropriate analysis without the context of the rest of the board, but black should have tenuki'd after white N16. The attack at P14 was just mindlessly following the concept of attacking weak points, except white O13 would have nullified it. P14 is a terrible move. Even with white generously attaching to strengthen black, black spent four moves achieving absolutely nothing

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

o.m. 94 posted:

Please correct me if I'm wrong but the entire sequence is a folly? It's hard to give an appropriate analysis without the context of the rest of the board, but black should have tenuki'd after white N16. The attack at P14 was just mindlessly following the concept of attacking weak points, except white O13 would have nullified it. P14 is a terrible move. Even with white generously attaching to strengthen black, black spent four moves achieving absolutely nothing

Agreed, black 9 is retarded. There is no threat to the cut. White should play S13 or N17, depending on the rest of the board.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

Under 15 posted:

White should play S13 or N17, depending on the rest of the board.
After B 9 or after B 15?

EDIT: Does W 10 at 12 even work? Can't Black push out?

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Xom posted:

After B 9 or after B 15?

EDIT: Does W 10 at 12 even work? Can't Black push out?

uhh...I guess so! this is why I lose games

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
Actually you'll just have to block the other way, getting the same result as W 10 at 11. So basically W 10 at 12 lets Black choose side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
strategy of 'keep hand off the mouse' working well so far.