Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

republicant posted:

Do you think the middle stand might be alright if there are added supports to hold up each side? Well two entirely separate other stands under the sides, not just trying to somehow attach something to the middle.
Ideally the entire trim would be making contact with something. At the bare minimum you need support on all 4 corners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

republicant
Apr 5, 2010
I'm about to head out to the pet store with a fair bit of money. Going to look at stands, get some driftwood for my pleco. I don't know if any of you guys use AqAdvisor.com but it tells me that my 10 gallon is overcrowded, so I'm going to upgrade it to a 20 gallon. I'd love to have a planted tank but I have no idea what kind of substrate you need for that or what kind of UV lights so that will probably remain a future goal. We also have a thriving community of minnows and crayfish that my boyfriend set up in a large plastic tub, and I'm finally going to get an actual glass tank for it because I think it's somewhat of an eyesore. Going to be a busy but fun day, I really love setting up new equipment.

republicant fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jul 22, 2015

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Hardscape only tanks can look pretty cool, but I think plants add a lot to the fun of the hobby. It's the same fun of trying to grow something and make it thrive and be happy but with much less guilt if it dies! Something like Java fern does fine in low light and doesn't need substrate, you tie it to stuff. If you try to plant it, it's rhizomes go rotten. Might be a good starter plant? Hope you find some nice driftwood and a nice stand. Post pictures!

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Only you are the fish of my dreams

republicant posted:

I'm about to head out to the pet store with a fair bit of money. Going to look at stands, get some driftwood for my pleco. I don't know if any of you guys use AqAdvisor.com but it tells me that my 10 gallon is overcrowded, so I'm going to upgrade it to a 20 gallon. I'd love to have a planted tank but I have no idea what kind of substrate you need for that or what kind of UV lights so that will probably remain a future goal. We also have a thriving community of minnows and crayfish that my boyfriend set up in a large plastic tub, and I'm finally going to get an actual glass tank for it because I think it's somewhat of an eyesore. Going to be a busy but fun day, I really love setting up new equipment.

I've been using Caribsea eco-complete substrate ($23/20lbs on Amazon) and my plants love it, and there isn't the massive problem with murk and settling that I've had with the other substrates I've used. I ended up using ~1.5 bags for my 20 gallon. As far as a light, LEDs are awesome. You can go high quality (and expensive) Finnex if you are serious about it, or go with a cheaper option or make your own if you're big on DIY. I'm using a Marineland 17" for a low-light setup in the 20 and so far it's been working great.

Kimberly Clark
Oct 3, 2008
Thinking about locating my new 40 gal breeder atop my granite breakfast bar type ledge between my kitchen and dining room. Terrible idea? Each long side would overhang about 5 cm.
http://imgur.com/LWszXeH

Kimberly Clark fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jul 22, 2015

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Kimberly Clark posted:

Thinking about locating my new 40 gal breeder atop my granite breakfast bar type ledge between my kitchen and dining room. Terrible idea? Each long side would overhang about 5 cm.

I'm no physimatician, but looks to me like the entirety of the weight ends up being on the two end rails, and nothing spread along the length of the tank. Probably sounds stupid but at the least I'd put it on a board that was as wide as the tank is, and have that on top of the counter.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Kimberly Clark posted:

I wouldn't do it. It's not like it would instantly explode or anything, but it is introducing undue stress on the seams.

republicant
Apr 5, 2010
Well I got quite a haul today. Got a pretty good deal on a filter that's rated for 45 gallons so I'm going to use it in my new 20 gallon tank. My local Petco sells Aqueon tanks up to 55g for $1 per gallon so it's going to be hard not to keep starting up new things like the Pacman Frog we got today. Also got timers for my lights so my animals' circadian rhythms won't be totally screwed when I can't manage to turn their lights on and off myself at the same time every day. Going to be busy setting up tanks for the next 10 hours or so but bah who needs sleep. Also got materials to build a stand for DeathTank so I won't have to worry about that anymore.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

republicant fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jul 23, 2015

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You've got moretanks disease bad.

republicant
Apr 5, 2010
I dread the day I get into saltwater because I will officially never have money again after that point. I'm going to set up another brackish brine shrimp tank since I'll have a spare 10g anyway and hopefully that won't be like a fishy gateway drug.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

SynthOrange posted:

You've got moretanks disease bad.

he should get smaller tanks so his fish can have a tank in their tank too

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Is that a bottle of aquarium glass cleaner?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Kimberly Clark posted:

Pretty terrible idea IMO. You're looking at a nearly 500lb tank perched up on a ledge there, with zero support at any of the four corners. It's resting on an interior half wall that was never designed to bear a load close to that weight. It's certainly possible you could get away with it, but it's going to be a messy and costly mistake if not.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

republicant posted:

Well I got quite a haul today. Got a pretty good deal on a filter that's rated for 45 gallons so I'm going to use it in my new 20 gallon tank. My local Petco sells Aqueon tanks up to 55g for $1 per gallon so it's going to be hard not to keep starting up new things like the Pacman Frog we got today. Also got timers for my lights so my animals' circadian rhythms won't be totally screwed when I can't manage to turn their lights on and off myself at the same time every day. Going to be busy setting up tanks for the next 10 hours or so but bah who needs sleep. Also got materials to build a stand for DeathTank so I won't have to worry about that anymore.

IT BEGINS.

Kimberly Clark posted:

Enos just covered this pretty thoroughly but I want to reemphasize it. That doesn't look like a remotely good idea.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.

CrazyLittle posted:

he should get smaller tanks so his fish can have a tank in their tank too

Yo dawg...

I have a 1, 5, 10, and 30 gallon tank in the basement sitting around not being used. Wonder what kind of franken-tank stack I could make... What kind of fish would be happy living in something that retarded, though?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I have a want for more fishtanks but until I move out I'm forbidden to get more. But when I do...fishtanks in every room.

Unrelated to that the Walmart fish stock is just depressing to look at.

Kimberly Clark
Oct 3, 2008
It seems unanimous, so I shall hunt for a more suitable location for the breeder tank. I don't care for any of the stands I'm finding so far. I may end up using my slate and metal coffee table.

daggerdragon posted:

I have a 1, 5, 10, and 30 gallon tank in the basement sitting around not being used. Wonder what kind of franken-tank stack I could make... What kind of fish would be happy living in something that retarded, though?

I've thought about placing my ecosphere inside my 46 gallon community tank because it would look cool, but that would just be mean.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Kimberly Clark posted:

It seems unanimous, so I shall hunt for a more suitable location for the breeder tank. I don't care for any of the stands I'm finding so far. I may end up using my slate and metal coffee table
http://m.petco.com/product/119923/Petco-Brooklyn-Metal-Tank-Stand.aspx
I have a few of these and I really like them. Obviously not great if you need to hide a canister filter or fish supplies, but they make tanks seem less 'imposing' in a room by being so open.

republicant
Apr 5, 2010

r0ck0 posted:

Is that a bottle of aquarium glass cleaner?

Yeah it is. The bottle says that it's safe for all aquatic animals and can be used inside the tank but nahhh I don't think I'm going to do that. We have super hard water here so it takes about 2 seconds before all glass is covered with crusty white mineral deposits.

I'm so in love with these 20g tanks. The minnow/crayfish tank used to be an opaque plastic tote so having actual glass is amazing, the animals are actually visible now (!!!). I'm glad I went for the hood with a fluorescent light instead of incandescent, that crisp white light is so beautiful. I have a bunch of Aqueon brand stuff now: the tanks themselves, the hood, the filters, and the heater. I feel like it's a bit of a step up in quality from Tetra brand stuff and it's just so different and cool. I love the way Fluval stuff looks too but that's way out of my price point just to house some cories and ghost shrimp.

I still haven't gotten a chance to tweak the tanks and get them exactly perfectly the way I want them due to work and stuff but it's a work in progress. I'm kind of ridiculously obsessive about decorations being perfectly aligned and thermometers exactly straight and tiny aesthetic stuff like that. Anyway here's some pictures:

20g community tank with one male betta, one trapdoor snail, one bristlenose pleco, three diamond tetras, three cories, and seven ghost shrimp.

20g tank with common creek minnows and crayfish.

Some ghost shrimp chilling in an anemone decoration.

Bristlenose pleco.

Crayfish lurking underneath a log.

Pacman frog existing.

And last but not least, my turtle enjoying his new lily pad.

-

I think I'm going to continue going to Petco for my in-person ASAP equipment needs but also order things on the cheap from Amazon. If I get any more live stock I'm definitely going to go to our LFS "Aquarium Imports". I haven't gotten any diseases or had any problems with Petco's fish, they've all been healthy and uninjured and survived, but I'm kind of worried about the kind of care the big stores take of their pets and what exactly may be in the water that inevitably makes it into my tank along with the new fish.

republicant fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Jul 25, 2015

republicant
Apr 5, 2010
My boyfriend just came home with a bag of four freshwater puffer fish... I don't know what I did to be punished like this haha. He's convinced that they have been bred to be nonaggressive and not nip fins but I remain unconvinced. He wants to put them in my community tank full of peaceful cories and tetras and shrimp and I think it's a horrible idea. My betta never fully physically recovered from an ammonia disaster back when I had no idea what I was doing and is currently refusing to come out of a decoration with an air bubble in it and I don't want to stress the hell out of him with these things. Looks like I'm setting up yet another tank.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I've never heard of pufferfish being anything but fin shredding dickheads. They also tend to only want live food, preferably in the form of snails and shrimp so if you don't have a steady supply already maybe set up a couple other tanks while you're at it :v:

republicant
Apr 5, 2010
I've been wanting to set up another brine shrimp tank after my first failed attempt, but I don't think I could ever feed a live animal to another one. Maybe I could get my heartless boyfriend to do it while I left the room and closed my eyes but I dunno. I guess it isn't a coincidence that 10 gallon tanks are $10 and I just got $10 credit at Petco for spending money with their rewards card. 6 tanks isn't too many right? Hahaha...hah.

Google Now on my phone is trying to lure me into a very expensive and time-consuming hobby:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
While they'd probably eat the brine shrimp I don't think they'd help keep their beaks in check. They need harder shells to do that or they'll overgrow, kinda like a beaver.

Assuming you've got pea puffers then Malaysian trumpet snails won't do because they've got too thick of shells but other "pest" snails are pretty easy to get. Otherwise, cherry shrimp are easy to raise hordes of plus they're very entertaining to watch.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

republicant posted:

He's convinced that they have been bred to be nonaggressive and not nip fins but I remain unconvinced. He wants to put them in my community tank full of peaceful cories and tetras and shrimp and I think it's a horrible idea..

Quoting this for later because it's a horrible idea and I want to be able to get to it quickly. But yes, he's batshit crazy and you should tell him that.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Jesus did the fish store straight up lie to him?

republicant
Apr 5, 2010
They're dwarf/pea puffers, yeah. The guy at the fish store is highly regarded as someone with decades of experience raising fish so I don't know why he would tell someone that. He told them that they're completely different from "normal" puffers, that he bred them himself to be nonaggressive and live peacefully in community tanks and that they were living in a tank with cories and various tetras, including ones with long luxurious fins. My boyfriend is very well-meaning but not experienced with fish so he was convinced. The puffers are getting along with each other so far, they've been in the bag from the fish store for a couple hours because I'm not letting them into my tank and we're setting up a new one. In a cramped little bag they seem happy and peaceful and just swimming around curiously not killing each other but I'm not going to take the chance of letting them loose in my tank.

republicant fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jul 25, 2015

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

republicant posted:

He told them that they're completely different from "normal" puffers, that he bred them himself to be nonaggressive and live peacefully in community tanks and that they were living in a tank with cories and various tetras, including ones with long luxurious fins.

So this fish whisperer had bred successive generations of these fish everyone knows is aggressive but he somehow managed to study them and cull the bad seeds leaving us with this peaceful superfish. Let's see what he can do with a shark..

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

If you don't like the idea of feeding live foods to the puffers how do you like the idea of puffer dentistry?
The guy you got them from might know how to do it if he breeds them.

Keep an eye on your boyfriend he might have pet hoarding tendencies if he keeps bringing home more fish unannounced. At least he's interested though.

republicant
Apr 5, 2010
See that's what makes this even worse, having pets unexpectedly foisted on you is one thing but especially ones that are a much higher level of difficulty of care and have weird needs. The next thing that comes home unexpectedly is going back to the pet store, donated back for free if they won't give a refund and I have to. They are cute though, especially not being in my community tank:

Probably the worst thing is that the guy somehow convinced him that these puffers are an entirely new type of puffer that has never been seen before. I showed him the puffer dentistry page and their special diet needs and he asked if that applies to HIS puffers too. A lot of that is HIM being ignorant and stubborn but I wonder what the hell this guy told him.

Unrelated but I love how my trapdoor snail travels within the tank:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PP0-KVn7ueM

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Can't remember if I posted about this before but my female guppies have been separated into a different tank than the males to try and bring the population explosion under control. I didn't really plan too well though since now that the first lot of fry have been born I haven't got an easy way to get them out of the tank. It's too cluttered! As soon as the net goes in, all the fish vanish. I want to pull everything out, relocate the shrimp, get better/more substrate, replant and try again.

a quick video

There are at least four shrimp, three adult guppies and 11 fry and countless MTS and many ramshorns in that little tank. I could consolidate the shrimp and the moss twig into the red nose shrimp tank, the MTS could go into my sand substrate tank and maybe all the guppies can go into the guppy grow out tank temporarily. The male guppies are all in my main tank, maybe in the end I can put the female guppies in with the penguin tetras and danios? That tank is under stocked at the moment and that would give me more room for separating the fry when they are big enough to identify male or female. Not sure if the tetras/danios would harass guppies though.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh god I think my loaches ate all my cories.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Oh noooooooooo thats awful!
:cry: RIP :cry:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

And they've very good at disposing of the bodies apparently.

Lesson: Dont EVER do an alternate feeding day regime with loaches.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Jul 26, 2015

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Loaches need to be re-evaluated as peaceful additions to tanks. Little jerks are murderers.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Is it normal for nerite snails to bury themselves in substrate? The one in the betta tank has been cruising along the edge of the tank for a couple days slowly going deeper into the sand.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I've had this tank for two years with the loaches and cories in there though without too much trouble. There was some fin nipping but more cover helped that out. And they're dwarf chain loaches, how the gently caress can they eat a cory?!

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Len posted:

Is it normal for nerite snails to bury themselves in substrate? The one in the betta tank has been cruising along the edge of the tank for a couple days slowly going deeper into the sand.

Mine do from time to time, yeah. They also like to chill above the water line sometimes. No idea why though.

SynthOrange posted:

I've had this tank for two years with the loaches and cories in there though without too much trouble. There was some fin nipping but more cover helped that out. And they're dwarf chain loaches, how the gently caress can they eat a cory?!

https://youtu.be/UZmpEPK-htI?t=131 :shrug:

edit: my yoyo's were in their tank for better than a year before they went ballistic on their tankmates. They're like little serial killers who get in close so they can kill then eat you.

Shakenbaker fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jul 27, 2015

republicant
Apr 5, 2010
Going to cross loaches off the list of "fish to consider getting in the future".

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

On the plus side, they did exactly what I wanted them to with regards to pest snails. None are alive in the tank that I can see, just piles of empty shells.

Then the shrimp started disappearing.

Then the cories.
:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I love my clown loaches, but I don't think they are much of a threat to eat frontosa.

Hey, has anyone kept a motoro stingray? I'll be upgrading my frontosa to a 180g or bigger tank sometime soonish, and was thinking of keeping one with them.

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jul 27, 2015