Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Man, Old Man Logan is just too good. Pretty sure bringing him to Doomgard is a good way to end Secret Wars quickly. I like how this Logan lived through the Marvel Universe so he knows how things should be, generally.

I grabbed Star-Lord and Kitty Pryde, and the Quill in it is the one from the Raft, so as far as I can tell, its the first book that features one of the survivors outside of the main books. Gambit has some crazy facial expressions in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I assume the Spider-Man that just showed up in Spider-Verse is probably not 616 Pete, but I think that'd be a better story, honestly.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Gaz-L posted:

I assume the Spider-Man that just showed up in Spider-Verse is probably not 616 Pete, but I think that'd be a better story, honestly.

Until we get confirmation, yea. I hope it is though!

Drax with a giant pompadour is just...weird.

Yamatoo
Dec 29, 2004

Became a god, destroyed half the universe, and still didn't get any.
I could definitely see the raft characters showing up in the side stories and leading people back to Doom. Strange did just scatter them to the winds.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

They delayed a bunch of the tie-ins due to the main series delays, so there's definitely going to be more interplay between them eventually.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I hope Old Man Logan is just him interloping and confusing everyone else until he beats up Doom.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

WickedHate posted:

I wasn't in a good mood this morning but the joke at the end of EoE made me laugh.

BEAST WARS!

I read your spoiler but I still wasnt loving prepared.

BEAST WARS!

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
E is For Extinction truly lives up to the hype, but I have to say I'm not getting the point of making Xorn a whole separate character from Magneto. I mean, I get that the Official Marvel Retcon is that Magneto wasn't ever Xorn, but A) going with that retcon here kind of messes up the idea of homaging Morrison's run, which is what the book is meant to be, and B) the whole reason Marvel retconned Magneto being Xorn in the first place was because they didn't want him to be just some crazy evil idiot, except that he's just some crazy evil idiot in this storyline anyway while Xorn ends up being the good guy, which defeats the purpose of the retcon.

Perhaps I'm overthinking this, but Morrison comics are meant to be overthought :colbert:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Okay OML is pretty good now that it's OML's hammer powered trip over the horizon.

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
I kind of imagine Old Man Logan getting hit by the hammer and just flying off Team Rocket style into the next domain over. OLD MAN LOGAN IS BLASTING OFF AGAIN!

With E is for Extinction, yes it's very much a Grant Morrison homage, but it's also something that's very much having a conversation with the nitty gritty of the run itself as well as its immediate fallout. Xorn was something positive, even though it was all a drug induced lie created by a crazy despicable thug. However, the concept of Xorn was something that Marvel, and other writers, decided was good enough to keep, hence the absolutely silly "It was actually his evil brother, so both Magneto and good Xorn are still around, sorta". The concept of good Xorn was used again, in much less subtle and interesting ways, in subsequent stories where he sort of sacrificed himself to save the X-Men. What's interesting about two aspects of Magneto fighting over this maguffin for the fate of mankind is how it resolves: Xorn figuring out what Superman did in All-Star Superman when he was up against the Ultra-Sphinx after seeing that he and Magneto aren't this morally gray morass of anti-hero whorship, but a good and bad man locked in a fight that was going no where. If there's anything, it's that Xorn, at least as a concept as a comic character, wasn't going to be defined by a piece of poo poo like Magneto anymore. And then the egg squashed Magneto, lol.

If anything, I think the fight was very true to a lot of Grant Morrison's work, in and outside of Marvel.

TNG fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jul 23, 2015

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I bet Land traced the metal dinosaur in Future Imperfect from episodes of Zoids.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

TNG posted:

I kind of imagine Old Man Logan getting hit by the hammer and just flying off Team Rocket style into the next domain over. OLD MAN LOGAN IS BLASTING OFF AGAIN!

Have you read it? It's pretty much that, except with lightning instead of hammers.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Hickman did a good job with double Xorns in his Ultimates run. As half assed as the retcon was, there's been some decent stuff spinning off of it. It's an interesting study in the liquid nature of comic book characters.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I hope delays don't mess up the timing off stuff, because it would be annoying see some plot points spoiled in one of the tie ins that is from the primary book.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Loved Marvel Zombies, Weirdworld, Old Man Logan, and Star Lord and Kitty today. I kind of want Spurrier to continue writing Elsa Bloodstone forever.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Poor zombie M.O.D.O.K :(

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

BrianWilly posted:

E is For Extinction truly lives up to the hype, but I have to say I'm not getting the point of making Xorn a whole separate character from Magneto. I mean, I get that the Official Marvel Retcon is that Magneto wasn't ever Xorn, but A) going with that retcon here kind of messes up the idea of homaging Morrison's run, which is what the book is meant to be, and B) the whole reason Marvel retconned Magneto being Xorn in the first place was because they didn't want him to be just some crazy evil idiot, except that he's just some crazy evil idiot in this storyline anyway while Xorn ends up being the good guy, which defeats the purpose of the retcon.

Perhaps I'm overthinking this, but Morrison comics are meant to be overthought :colbert:

Maybe since it's Xorn there's a reveal coming! :iiam:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Sentinel Red posted:

Poor zombie M.O.D.O.K :(

It's MODOC

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Weirdworld is so metal it makes All Black the Necrosword look like a nursery rhyme.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

head58 posted:

Weirdworld is so metal it makes All Black the Necrosword look like a nursery rhyme.

Welp, I need to absolutely get in on this now.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

Maybe since it's Xorn there's a reveal coming! :iiam:

I was more than half expecting Xavier, and still am.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I'm so loving happy the dragon's alive even after eating that stupid pufferfish.

Roman Herbom
Aug 2, 2006
The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't
Weirdworld was loving amazing, by far my favorite tie-in so far. I also liked Star-lord and Kitty, seems like is going to be a pretty fun mini.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I feel like there's something I'm missing in Marvel Zombies. Elsa realizes that the winged soldier she gave the kid to was a shapeshifting monster who ended up being Mystique, but how? A baseball in a metal case drops from...somewhere...and this clues her in why, exactly? And how did the weird shape with the staff that was stalking them play into it?

Elucidarius
Oct 14, 2006

Phenotype posted:

I feel like there's something I'm missing in Marvel Zombies. Elsa realizes that the winged soldier she gave the kid to was a shapeshifting monster who ended up being Mystique, but how? A baseball in a metal case drops from...somewhere...and this clues her in why, exactly? And how did the weird shape with the staff that was stalking them play into it?

From what I can tell he gives her his tracker (that ball) and it falls out of her pocket, breaking one. There's a very small panel where she pull the binoculars out of her pocket and it falling out.

Elucidarius fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jul 23, 2015

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Okay, so I don't want to spoil myself by going through the thread, and I'm a bit behind, but I did just finish and enjoy the Hickman Avengers/NA leadup and I think the first 3 of the main Secret Wars series.

Is there any consensus on how "good" this event is shaping up? (I remember SA quite liked Infinity, which I also liked, and disliked AXIS, which I disliked/didn't read past issue 1.)

And are any of the tie-ins both a) important to the "main" story and b) good? Or are all the tie-ins basically "optional," and we can pick and choose? If they're all "optional," I'd love some suggestions on people's favorites. Apologies for the fact that this has probably been asked about three dozen times in the thread--feel free to just link me back to other posts. But googling for this discussion is actually kinda tough if I want reasonable-person opinions without spoilers.

Edit: Okay, I skimmed and found some tie-in recs. Feel free to post yours anyway, though? (And none are central to the big Hickman story except the main series, right? Like, "Secret Wars: Battleworld" isn't any more "essential" than 1872?)

edit2: Thanks much to all! Looks like there's a lot of good reading ahead, since a whole bunch of the tie-ins looked like they could be fun.

onefish fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jul 23, 2015

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's awesome and the tie-ins that I'm keeping up with are: Old Man Logan, Infinity Gauntlet, 1872, Weirdworld, E is for Extinction, Siege, Inhumans, Zombies, Zombies vs AoU, Thors, Planet Hulk and Squadron Sinister. The rest I'm content to wait six months for.

Also there are supposed to be two tiers of tie ins with the "Battleworld" titles being farther removed from the main story,but I haven't noticed much of a difference.

Elucidarius
Oct 14, 2006

onefish posted:

And are any of the tie-ins both a) important to the "main" story and b) good? Or are all the tie-ins basically "optional," and we can pick and choose? If they're all "optional," I'd love some suggestions on people's favorites. Apologies for the fact that this has probably been asked about three dozen times in the thread--feel free to just link me back to other posts. But googling for this discussion is actually kinda tough if I want reasonable-person opinions without spoilers.
There are some tie ins that seem more important than others but I'd say they're all optional.

My favorites:
Ghost Riders
Marvel Zombies
Weirdworld
Star-lord and Kitty pryde
Attilan Rising
Captain Marvel and the Carol Corps
Squadron Sinister
Captain Britain and the Mighty Avengers
Guardians of Knowhere
Spiderverse
Spider Island
Runaways
Civil War
Model Assassin
A force
E is for Extinction
Old Man Logan
Infinity Gauntlet
1602 Witch Hunter Angela
Little Giant Sized AvX
Planet Hulk
Siege
Thors

I may be alone here too but I enjoyed Hail Hydra and Where the Monsters Dweller . As you can see a whole hell of a lot are enjoyable. Basically I'd say pick ones you're interested in and read the first issue. From there you'll have an easier time deciding.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
To my eyes, BSS is mostly onboard the Secret Wars train, and the tie-ins are overall pretty well received, outside of a few clunkers (though there's probably someone out there who enjoyed Armor Wars).

Ones I've thoroughly enjoyed:
Siege
Old Man Logan
Thors
Battleworld
E for Extinction
Civil War
Captain Britain and the Mighty Defenders

Basically, if it looks cool to you, grab it.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jul 23, 2015

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

So far none seem essential, though with Old Man Logan getting a series after the event, I'd bet that will be important.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

So far none seem essential, though with Old Man Logan getting a series after the event, I'd bet that will be important.

There will be stuff that will be important to series after Secret Wars is done, but nothing important to Secret Wars itself. But yeah anyone who they've announced is coming over or series that will continue will carry some weight.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I'm loving the little nods to other series that build the world like seeing Cap in the Murderworld jail in Ghost Racers. What else have people caught.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I went back and grabbed the 1st and 2nd issues of E for Extinction because it's gotten such good word of mouth from goons. I managed to get over the artwork, and really enjoyed it.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

I went back and grabbed the 1st and 2nd issues of E for Extinction because it's gotten such good word of mouth from goons. I managed to get over the artwork, and really enjoyed it.

What? The art is amazing!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

onefish posted:

Okay, so I don't want to spoil myself by going through the thread, and I'm a bit behind, but I did just finish and enjoy the Hickman Avengers/NA leadup and I think the first 3 of the main Secret Wars series.

Is there any consensus on how "good" this event is shaping up? (I remember SA quite liked Infinity, which I also liked, and disliked AXIS, which I disliked/didn't read past issue 1.)

Edit: Okay, I skimmed and found some tie-in recs. Feel free to post yours anyway, though? (And none are central to the big Hickman story except the main series, right? Like, "Secret Wars: Battleworld" isn't any more "essential" than 1872?)

edit2: Thanks much to all! Looks like there's a lot of good reading ahead, since a whole bunch of the tie-ins looked like they could be fun.

Honestly we don't know what is essential or what isn't as of right now. We know that stuff in 1872, Weirdworld, and Old Man Logan is definitely carrying over post Secret Wars but we don't know much else besides that. Here's my post from earlier in the thread on what I've read and enjoyed, I've added in books that have come out since then as well.

Deadpool posted:

The only ones I've avoided are Inferno, X-Men '92, X-Tinction Agenda, E is for Extinction and Years of Future Past.

The best ones so far in my opinon have been 1872, Planet Hulk, Infinity Gauntlet, Weirdworld, Civil War, Old Man Logan, Squadron Sinister, Ghost Racers, Marvel Zombies, Captain Britain and the Mighty Defenders, Hail Hydra, and Siege.

But also very much worth reading are Runaways, Secret Wars 2099, Spider-Verse, Mrs Deadpool's Howling Commandos, Attilan Rising, Master of Kung Fu, Secret Wars Battleworld and Journal, Age of Ultron vs Marvel Zombies, Thors, Spider-Island, Where Monsters Dwell, Guardians of Knowhere, and Star Lord and Kitty.

Books that are alright are 1602 Angela, A-Force, Renew Your Vows, MODOK Assassin, Age of Apocalypse, and Red Skull.

Book that are completely skippable are Armor Wars, Captain Marvel and the Carol Corps, Future Imperfect, Korvac Saga, and Ultimate End.

Giant Size Little AvX is entirely dependent on your love for Skottie Young's style of humor since it really has nothing to do with anything at this point.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
Read Thors and Ghost Racers and your (Battle) world will be a better place.

Aside from those two (which are probably some of the best tie-in's), everyone has their own personal preferences. I really like Spider-Verse because I'm a huge mark for alternate universe Spider-Men. It's got Noir Spider-Man in it, which is enough to get money from me.

But yeah, it's not totally clear which ones will be essential to the main story yet.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Okay, just caught up on X-Men '92, and I have to say it might end up being my favorite tie-in of this whole event when all is said and done.

"You can play as Dazzler, but not me?"

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I feel like tie-in recommendation should just be what you don't like for this event.

For me that's Years of Future Past and Armor Wars. Everything else has been awesome in my opinion.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Ultimate End is fairly lackluster. Especially when compared to Bendis' two other Secret Wars books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

BrianWilly posted:

Okay, just caught up on X-Men '92, and I have to say it might end up being my favorite tie-in of this whole event when all is said and done.

"You can play as Dazzler, but not me?"

That's a reference to the 90's beat-em up isn't it? Who said it, Jubilee, Gambit?

• Locked thread