Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Next question: why have you been doing that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Bluddwolf posted:

I have been playing PFO for some time now, and I can tell you, there is much Goonfear in that community.

Just tell them PFO is so bad most goons won't go near it.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Unguided posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YY6wwAhvirY

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
I think someone's trying to start a goonscare in the game: https://goblinworks.com/forum/topic/3389/?page=1

Given how little talk there is of Pathfinder Online on SA, I think it's either someone trolling just to get a reaction or someone pretending to be a goon to bring some tension into their boring and empty sandbox.

Bluddwolf
Jul 21, 2015

Ratpick posted:

I think someone's trying to start a goonscare in the game: https://goblinworks.com/forum/topic/3389/?page=1

Given how little talk there is of Pathfinder Online on SA, I think it's either someone trolling just to get a reaction or someone pretending to be a goon to bring some tension into their boring and empty sandbox.

Yes, the Goon Scare comes every few months. It happens for a number of reasons I believe.

1. The fear of Goons or a similar group is real in the care bear minds. Ryan Dancey cultivated that by talking about how his game would be almost free of random player killing like Hulkageddon through the reputation system causing characters that do that to suck. But, he kept on feeding the TT crowd that he expected groups like Goonswarm to come to his game.

2. Most of the PFO population are Care Bears, with little or no MMO experience. Add to that that they have been fed an anti PvP, anti PK and anti Zerg mentality, and Goons becomes the bogey man.

3. Those that do have experience in both MMOs and PvP have grown used to targeting feud targets (mostly) and so they don't lose reputation, but also gain very little as well. There is nothing really to fight for in PFO, and nothing to really lose if you are defeated.

The only thing they really care about is that new players in the starter zones feel safe and handheld welcomed. They know that the reputation system only impacts players that care about character development in the long term. But, a bunch of untrainable 1000 xp alts (every trial account gets two) can reap havoc on that sense of safety and welcome. The veteran population in the game is so small, and so dispersed that they could not stop a true Zerg of PKers. This is the nature of their fear.

Some of them welcome Goons or their like, out of bravado. Others dread the day you come. Still, others welcome you for the chaos you would bring.

Ryan Dancey would absolutely hate it, because it would prove him and all of his plans impotent.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Bluddwolf posted:

Some of them welcome Goons or their like, out of bravado. Others dread the day you come. Still, others welcome you for the chaos you would bring.

So you're what, Chaotic Neutral?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ettin posted:

Read that sentence out loud and it sounds like the voiceover from the introductory cutscene in a PC game from the mid-90s. Which minor celebrity is reading it? You decide!

Bluddwolf
Jul 21, 2015

Eox posted:

Next question: why have you been doing that

I had bought into PFO during the second kick starter, and on paper it sounded pretty good. I put $180.00 into just pre paid time, giving me 25 months of play time (about $5.00 per month is no big deal). I put $100 into the Pioneer pack, which game me almost $400 worth of PDFS and other goodies (this was Goblin Works' big mistake, which I will get to). The last $120 I spent on character gear and regional or special features. My total $400, which might seem like a lot but for me it really isn't.

The big mistake with the $100 Pioneer package was that thousands of Table Top players bought in, just for the PDFS for Pathfinder RPG. 90% of them had no intentions of actually playing PFO, or any MMO for that matter. So whereas Goblin Works thought they had nearl 9000 backers, they really only ended up with about 400 - 600 actual players.

The game has been so terribly marketed, at first to TT players. They built the game to cater to their fears of PvP, and they did not show up anyway. In the meantime, the game has little to offer MMO players (at least in the short to mid term). But, if you know anything about MMO players, you know we are not known for our patience. We are not likely to wait for a game to get mediocre, and perhaps in 2 years it might be good.

The other downfall is that Ryan Dancey seems to be under the delusion that PFO is trying to do something that is do unique,, that it has no real competition. He fails to see that it competes with every game for time and a monthly fee.

Bluddwolf
Jul 21, 2015

Ettin posted:

Lol, yeah you have me pegged. I almost always play my characters as Chaotic Neutral. In RPGS and MMOs that usually ends up being: Thieves, Rogues, Smugglers, Pirates, and Bounty Hunters.

Bluddwolf fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Jul 22, 2015

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Unguided posted:

As far as I can tell, currently the best way to grief people playing PFO is to leave them alone and let them play PFO.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Bluddwolf posted:

Lol, yeah you have me pegged. I almost always play my characters as Chaotic Neutral. In RPGS and MMOs that usually ends up being: Thieves, Rogues, Smugglers, Pirares, and Bounty Hunters.
Every single one of those characters is Neutral Evil.

Bluddwolf
Jul 21, 2015

FactsAreUseless posted:

Every single one of those characters is Neutral Evil.

I would argue Chaotic Neutral with a tendency for evil, and in some cases Chaotic Evil. All are willing to bend the rules to achieve their goals, usually greed based.

Oh... I just realized auto correct did not fix Pirates.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Bluddwolf posted:

I would argue Chaotic Neutral with a tendency for evil, and in some cases Chaotic Evil. All are willing to bend the rules to achieve their goals, usually greed based.

Oh... I just realized auto correct did not fix Pirates.
Bending the rules to achieve greed-based goals? Pleased to meet you, Mr. Dancey.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Ratpick posted:

quote:

Brighthaven is a Neutral Good settlement focused on defending its citizens and its allies from negative fringe based PvP (Player Killing and Griefing) while striving to become a large and shining beacon for Good. Whether you wish to benefit from this protection or you love PvP and wish to assist in providing this protection, Brighthaven aims to be the home and support center for you!

The defense against the looming threat of Goons? Literally She-Ra.

Bluddwolf
Jul 21, 2015

Halloween Jack posted:

The defense against the looming threat of Goons? Literally She-Ra.

Adora: I am Adora, He-Man's twin sister and defender of the Crystal Castle. This is Spirit, my beloved steed. Fabulous secrets were revealed to me the day I held aloft my sword and said "For the honor of Greyskull!". I am She-Ra!

[Adora transforms into She-Ra, and transforms Spirit into Swift Wind]
She-Ra: Only a few others share this secret. Among them are Light Hope, Madame Razz, and Kowl. Together me and my friends of the Great Rebellion try to defend Etheria from the evil forces of Hordak.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

No amount of goon griefing could hurt this game as much as word-of-mouth is hurting it. Hey everyone, I have an idea for a secret evil goon project to destroy Pathfinder Online: laugh every time more news about PFO bubbles out the ether. Truly, what game could withstand such a maniacal campaign of casual schadenfreude, supported by upwards of two dozen people on a dying comedy message board sub-sub-forum?

Pack it up pathfailures. :smugwizard:

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay

Bluddwolf posted:

The big mistake with the $100 Pioneer package was that thousands of Table Top players bought in, just for the PDFS for Pathfinder RPG. 90% of them had no intentions of actually playing PFO, or any MMO for that matter. So whereas Goblin Works thought they had nearl 9000 backers, they really only ended up with about 400 - 600 actual players.

People paid 100$ for Pathfinder pdfs?

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

insanityv2 posted:

People paid 100$ for Pathfinder pdfs?

People paid money for pathfinder pdfs?

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

That wasn't a mistake, either. Enticing people who wouldn't normally back MMO projects helped them hit their Kickstarter goal and actually get the money. They had to know that some percentage of backers wouldn't care about PFO, e.g. most people who backed at a PDF-centric tier.

Sure, when they went to VCs for funding, they probably omitted mention of that in favor of just talking about total number of backers. That's just how sales pitches work, though—you talk about your product in the best light possible.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Yeah, it's hilarious how their guilds use us as a rallying cry. "Where will you be when the goon swarm comes?"

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Bluddwolf posted:

Adora: I am Adora, He-Man's twin sister and defender of the Crystal Castle. This is Spirit, my beloved steed. Fabulous secrets were revealed to me the day I held aloft my sword and said "For the honor of Greyskull!". I am She-Ra!

[Adora transforms into She-Ra, and transforms Spirit into Swift Wind]
She-Ra: Only a few others share this secret. Among them are Light Hope, Madame Razz, and Kowl. Together me and my friends of the Great Rebellion try to defend Etheria from the evil forces of Hordak.

For the honor of Brightmoonhaven!

Bluddwolf
Jul 21, 2015
I've pretty much given up on this game being something I'll play once my pre paid time is up. I'm looking more to Albion and later Crowfall to spend most of my gaming time in.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Go to EVE and become a bounty hunter instead.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Bluddwolf posted:

My total $400, which might seem like a lot but for me it really isn't.

You know if you have the level of wealth necessary to not care about hundreds of dollars you could have at least given it to like.... an animal shelter or a soup kitchen

at least that way someone or something would have benefited from your complete lack of scope (besides a scam artist with a graying neckbeard that is)

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

It's called Pathfinder Online because you go online, take one look at it and search for a path to a better game.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
it's also the path to Ryan Dancey's treasure vault, which I assume he stocks with enough gold coins and crystallized nerd tears to swim in like Scrooge McDuck

Bluddwolf
Jul 21, 2015
MMORPG rated this game a 4.5

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/719/view/reviews/load/395/page/1

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
lol at this game though

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

I had to make sure that wasn't out of five.

Bluddwolf
Jul 21, 2015

Eonwe posted:

lol at this game though

It had a chance, but the early decisions made set this PATH FINDER on the path of finding failure. Ryan Dancey virtually dared MMORPG to review it. They gave him every opportunity to back away from his stance that it was not in an alpha or even beta stage. He is even adamant against the idea that the test server should be used to TEST patches fully, before they are released to the live server. He claimed that it was feature complete for its basic systems, but none of them work really well.

Hopefully other developers have taken note on playing word games, trying to pull the wool over the gaming community's eyes, and charging a full subscription price for an alpha, can only lead to failure. With both Albion Online and Crowfall on the near horizon, PFO is doomed unless it goes F2P. Goblin Works better start churning out ideas for Micro Transaction items (that are cheap, non durable, and not game changers).

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Bluddwolf posted:

It had a chance, but the early decisions made set this PATH FINDER on the path of finding failure. Ryan Dancey virtually dared MMORPG to review it. They gave him every opportunity to back away from his stance that it was not in an alpha or even beta stage. He is even adamant against the idea that the test server should be used to TEST patches fully, before they are released to the live server. He claimed that it was feature complete for its basic systems, but none of them work really well.

Hopefully other developers have taken note on playing word games, trying to pull the wool over the gaming community's eyes, and charging a full subscription price for an alpha, can only lead to failure. With both Albion Online and Crowfall on the near horizon, PFO is doomed unless it goes F2P. Goblin Works better start churning out ideas for Micro Transaction items (that are cheap, non durable, and not game changers).

Crowfall is well on the way to sinking to the bottom of the ocean also.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Bluddwolf posted:

It had a chance

It never did.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Zerilan posted:

It never did.
Pretty much. Even if the inherent design concepts weren't incredibly stupid, it's being made by c-list developers on a shoestring budget. There's no possible way it would have turned out good.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

The "Minimum Viable Product" rhetoric never ceases to amaze me. The phrase literally means "as close to unplayable as possible". They're telling the public that their game barely functions. :psydwarf:

Bluddwolf
Jul 21, 2015

Squizzle posted:

The "Minimum Viable Product" rhetoric never ceases to amaze me. The phrase literally means "as close to unplayable as possible". They're telling the public that their game barely functions. :psydwarf:

I had argued, directly to Ryan Dancey, that what he considered Minimum Viable Product had no value. The consumer, and only the consumer decides what is MVP. In PFO's case, that minimum has not been reached yet and without dramatic changes it may never reach it.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Byolante posted:

Yeah but at least its graphic design looks better than games from 2003.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Byolante posted:

Is it? Why's that?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
this is the weirdest j4g i've ever seen

Bluddwolf
Jul 21, 2015

30.5 Days posted:

this is the weirdest j4g i've ever seen

I see little chance for their to be a Goon guild in PFO, no interest from what I have seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I'm a big fan of goons largely ignoring the game while its faithful citizens remain terrified by the looming goon specter. I'm sure the goon reputation would grow regardless if literally anything else bad happens.